Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'm not planning to on getting a full 31 this year - managed to do that last October - but I hope it's still cool to post in this thread. I've got the Universal Classic Monsters blu-ray set on the way - shamefully, I've not seen a single one of them... but that just means I'll have a lot of quality classics to go through!

Started off with Honeymoon. Some pretty tense scenes like the first time he goes into the forest at night even though the general storyline was pretty old hat.
A solid start, for sure.
And then I watched Willow Creek. God drat, the scene in the tent seemed to last an eternity and I was on the edge of my seat through all of it. That part was way better than anything that came before or after it though, but I think it was all worth it for that.

2 down, ? to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Just finished watching The Den as my third movie.
Willow Creek didn't remind me, but watching this definitely did - the thing I most dislike about found footage movies is video "glitching out". I haven't seen a movie yet where I feel that they truly "earn" it and it's always just the laziest way to show that "something spooky is happening!". I'm all ears if anybody has suggestions for FF movies that don't use that crutch.
The inconsistencies in the way "The Den" worked also bothered me. Why does it sometimes say that the other person is typing, but not always? Why does the video chat sometimes start automatically while most of the time she has to press accept? Yes, I know, I am a huge, goony nerd who likes to pick nits, but that kind of stuff just makes me feel like they didn't pay enough attention or think things through.
The last act was pretty good though and I have to agree with axleblaze - the very ending was great and what made it.

Franchescanado posted:

You're more than welcome to post what you watch in here. I'm not trying to nit-pick, it's supposed to be a fun challenge (I only managed to get to twenty-something last year).

And I'm very jealous that you've never seen the Universal Monster Movies. Bride of Frankenstein and The Wolf Man are fantastic, and are two of my favorite horror movies. Please let us know what you think of them after you watch them.

Thanks, will do!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Fermat's Room was a fun time, glad to watch something not-that-depressing for a change, and with likable characters to boot! Not a big fan of solving those kinds of logic puzzles myself, but do not mind hearing their solutions.

4 down.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Today I watched Creepshow and They Live.
Creepshow was really fun and I love the comic book aesthetic that tied the stories together. Plenty of laughs and the effects (especially the scene with the cockroaches, you know the one) were great.
On the other hand, I'm bummed, but I didn't enjoy They Live at all. It felt like a bad parody but somehow I doubt that's what they were going for. Especially the fight scene, what the hell?

Six down.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I watched The Sacrament yesterday and Toad Road today.
Didn't much enjoy either of them, unfortunately. I tend to watch movies without watching any trailers or knowing anything about them, but for the first time in a long while, I feel like that might have worked against me with both of these. I didn't make the connection to the Jonestown Massacre for the former, nor did I know that about 70% of the movie was basically a documentary in the case of the latter one.

Finally got the Universal Monsters Collection and planning to watch something from that later tonight, so that should help with the relatively bummed feeling from the last two movies.

8 down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Haven't posted in some days but I've seen five movies in the meantime:
Dracula(1931) - first time I've seen this (or any other of the classics of that time) but I really enjoyed it. Bela Lugosi made everything he said sound great and the way Renfield was portrayed was creepy as hell. Oh and that theme... goddamn. Haven't watched any of the others from the collection yet but I'm hoping to get through all of them this month.
Tales from the Crypt - compared to Creepshow, I'd say that the highs aren't quite that high, though it might have been a bit more consistent overall. On the whole I felt like you could see the endings of the stories come from a mile away and that meant it wasn't quite as effective. Still a good time though.
Ravenous - wasn't feeling this at all. The way they tried to combine a light-hearted adventure with a cannibalistic horror story did not mesh with me very well. Weird!
Coherence - ah, lovely mindfuckery. Quantum physics and poo poo, always enjoy that in movies. Reminded me that I really want to watch Primer again.
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - I've only seen the first PA and Tokyo Night, but I have to admit that the original was one of the most effective movies in scaring me. I suppose I have the right imagination for movies where "nothing really happens". This one had a first half reminiscent of that, but the second half went balls-out and pretty much turned into Chronicle(popular sci-fi/thriller movie from a few years ago)... and I wasn't a fan of that. I suppose I would have enjoyed it more had it not been named "Paranormal Activity", since that kinda set up some expectations. The overall change of setting was neat though.

13 down. Surprising myself that I'm on track!

• Locked thread