Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm only watching movies I haven't seen yet this year. I'm forcing myself to watch a bunch of stuff I've had lying around forever.

Not too enthusiastic for them, but this includes Zombie rear end, the two Tetsuo sequels, and Fearsome Vampire Killers.

I'm also watching some films people have good things to say about, such as Children of the Corn, Abominable Dr. Phibes, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Monster Squad, and Pit and the Pendulum. Hopefully the good ones balance out the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The Den is Internet the Movie and I think the ending brings the whole thing to its logical conclusion. That being said, the opinion that the film may have been better without that last part is very plausible.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Oct. 1: Watched Children of the Corn and absolutely hated it.

As a palate cleanser, I tried The Town that Dreaded Sundown. What an interesting movie. The slasher scenes are creepy and alive and very '70s, while the rest of the movie feels like a wooden 40's movie complete with bored narrator. For some strange reason, it worked for me.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

October 2: The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976, dir. Charles B. Pierce, d.p. Jim Roberson)

In theory, it's a good idea. Especially since the case is noteworthy for being an unsolved mystery in real life, it helps to have the cops as characters working out how to catch him. The problem is, the scenes with them are largely comic relief, and it's extremely jarring comic relief. The stuff with the killer is horrifying, and yet it immediately precedes a brutal murder with a crossdressing joke that comes uncomfortably close to being a sexual assault joke. Even when it's not making uncomfortable and crass jokes, the B-plot with the police is just outright boring; it's essentially them just kind of sitting there going "do we have anything yet?" "no, we don't have anything yet" or trading clunky exposition (the scene where the Texas Ranger protagonist is introduced must be seen to be believed) or driving around doing one of the aforementioned things. It's bad, it's really goddamn bad, and it drags this movie down a huge amount.

There's a ton of 'jap' stuff in it because it's the '40's too. All the cop poo poo reminded me of something they'd watch on MST3K with the narration and the wooden acting. I think it's period, so I kinda gave it a pass. The amazingly creepy killer scenes are '70's style, while the cop poo poo is all '40's style.

It's a drat great idea, but they didn't pull it off and it brings the movie down.

Edit: Oct 2: The Burning

Rather by-the-books Friday the 13th ripoff. Admittedly, I can't remember anything about any of the Fridays because it's been awhile. There are long stretches of guys being absolute pieces of poo poo to women in this film, but I enjoyed the poo poo out of this movie. Cropsy is generic as gently caress, but they do a great job of making him an unknowable maniac and the kill scenes are shot very competently. The movie never completely drags at any point. I'd recommend this to people who want a decent summer camp slasher and can withstand a rather distressing amount of misogyny. That being said, the movie never paints the guys as good people and it definitely knows what it is. I'd much rather watch this than most of the slasher sequels.

As an added bonus, smarmy young George Costanza with hair is in this movie.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 3, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Sat through Hellraiser 2 and Big Trouble in Little China at a local bar. Going to say that counts for the night.

Despite terrible doctor puns, I think H2 is a rather entertaining film.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Last Days on Mars is okay.

Could have been great, was just okay.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Tonight is BONUS ROUND and will either be Maniac, Blue Ruin, Cube or The Exam. We'll see.

Blue Ruin is a great movie but it isn't horror at all.

Oct. 3: The bar I was at played Hellraiser 2 on loop with the sound off and I pretty much saw the whole thing.

I am counting it. Didn't get to hear horrible doctor puns, but don't think I missed much otherwise.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It got mentions in the Horror thread as being horrorish and with a really creepy atmosphere so I threw it in as a possibility.

Only in a couple of places, yeah but it really isn't horror. Definitely watch it but it doesn't count.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Watched Murder Parry by the people who did Blue Rain. It drags at points but just as in Blue Rain I found the way things were shot to be amazingly immersive. I can't call it a good movie, but it was just so goddamn enjoyable.

Also saw Last Ride, recommended by SMG. It is basically a guy with a GoPro being stalked by cat sounds. Ended up enjoying it because it is essentially one long shot of people attempting to navigate a forest. Definitely not great, but felt it was an accomplishment and an interesting FF movie.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Wizchine posted:

How about movies with murderous primates?

Link (killer orangutan)
Monkey Shines (killer capuchin monkey)
Shakma (killer baboon)

Congo

Monkey Shines is amazing.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Just saw Body Parts.

I totally thought this would be a mindless slasher where a guy was killing people without knowing it. This was much more elaborate with a higher budget than I figured.

Rather than going that route, this film was an interesting overarching mystery with subcontext of whether or not the soul could be transferred through the flesh.

I don't think it is a must watch but the movie was rather interesting. Since I have been watching slashers, I probably would have enjoyed my version better rather than the strange sci-fi thing it is. However, I love body horror and it definitely has that going for it.

A weird aside: I haven't seen much Jeff Fahey, but I found that much like Christian Slater's whole face his soulless light blue eyes was slightly disturbing and distracting while watching this film. He looks like a bizarro William Petersen.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 6, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

10/6: Christine
It's far from Carpenter's best, but I really, really enjoyed this movie. Could have been a bit shorter. The car stuff was really fun and I wish we got a tiny bit more of it.

10/7: The Crazies
Not a good movie, feel like it meanders st points. The zombie stuff was kind of bad and everything feels really cheap. I liked the overall idea of the story, which was about the government / military totally bungling this operation.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Progress: PA Marked Ones (7/10)) / Children of the Corn (2/10) / The Town that Dreaded Sundown (5/10) / The Burning (7/10) / Murder Party (7/10) / Last Ride (4/10) / Body Parts (4/10) / Christine 7/10) / Crazies (6/10)

10/8: Shivers (6/10)

Thought it wasn't bad, but I think Rabid and The Brood were much stronger efforts with a similarly small budget. It was enjoyable while it was happening, but I felt that it could have been better if Cronenberg committed to the concept more and made it much more graphic. I know the budget was probably next to nil but the film would have been much better if it bent more towards something like the end of Society. That being said, the movie is suitably grimy-feeling and it isn't terrible to watch.

10/9: Bad Taste (6/10)

This is much like any well-liked schlock director's early works. It's extremely rough around the edges and you can tell that there was no budget, but there are definite flashes of brilliance. Everything here is a bit lovely, especially the characters, but you can tell that there was some real thought put into many of the scenes. Like in LOTR (debatably), the action plotting makes some definite sense as in you can tell where the action happens and the characters end up where you would expect them to after something happens. This isn't Dead Alive by a longshot, but I thought the gore and creature effects were relatively well done with a budget that as far as I can tell may been $2,000 at the most. It isn't great and the film isn't funny at all, but it wasn't a waste of my time.

Next 8 days are going to be loving rough:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original, probably) / Deadly Spawn / Proteus / The Visitor (I started this one 4 days ago, saw the intro and physically slowly walked backwards out of my room and closed the door) / Zombie rear end / Evil Dead Trap / Wishmaster / Anaconda

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 10, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Amber Sweet posted:

My 8th movie was supposed to be Incident at Loch Ness, which I came across randomly in the other horror movie thread, and I'd never heard or knew anything else about it. But after watching I'm not exactly sure it should count because it wasn't exactly horror.

Herzog plays a great foil for the smarmy Zak Penn. It's a ton of fun.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

10/10/14: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
I really liked this film. As others have said, the sound design is fantastic and lends to the overall paranoia of the film. Thought all the actors did a great job with what they were given. Even if you've had parts of this film spoiled for you already, it's a solid recommend.

10/11/14: Deadly Spawn
This was waay lower budget than I thought it would be and much of the movie is both terribly acted and terribly directed. I couldn't what the hold people were saying half the time. The film lacks any energy, which could have made it a decent film.

That being said, the creatures were decently well-done and it was much more gory than I thought it would be. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's not like I want that time back. There's a scene in this movie where the penis teeth tadpole things are attacking a bunch of old ladies that's worth the price of entry.

10/11/14: The Visitor
I was expecting some sort of weird telekinetic space warrior movie and got a bizarre Italian film that wears all of its influences on its sleeve but never correctly utilizes any of them. The majority of this movie's sum parts don't work correctly at all, but that's actually why you would watch it. It befuddled Alcohollywood rather thoroughly.

Tonight, it's Zombie rear end. I'm scared for my life.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

10/12/14: Zombie rear end

I'll probably put my notes in a blog post, but tl;dr, I have seen a good amount of these types of movies because I hate myself and this has left me with the MOST self-loathing out of all of them. This includes Machine Girl, Zarborgar, the ABCS of Death skilt, Tokyo Gore Police (which may actually be worth watching), Mutant Girl Squad, Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl, Helldriver....This is the worst loving thing I have ever seen. Only through copious alcohol consumption have I made it through. gently caress you Noboru Iguchi, and gently caress you Netflix for making it available.

Edit: As a Japanese American, this makes me want to sever ties to the Motherland. I have Evil Dead Trap set for tomorrow and am thinking of skipping it. I work in SF Japantown and am even thinking about taking the week off.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 13, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Most of those movies are pretty fun. :shobon: Zombie rear end is garbo but it's sorta unique in that weird little subgenre for being garbo.

Like I said, I like Tokyo Gore Police but Zombie rear end shits all over a line I arbitrarily drew in the sand.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Progress: PA Marked Ones (7/10)) / Children of the Corn (2/10) / The Town that Dreaded Sundown (5/10) / The Burning (7/10) / Murder Party (7/10) / Last Ride (4/10) / Body Parts (4/10) / Christine 7/10) / Crazies (6/10) / Shivers (6/10) / Bad Taste (4/10) / Invasion of the Body Snatchers (8/10) / Deadly Spawn (5/10) / The Visitor (5/10) / Zombie rear end (1/10)

10/13/14: Evil Dead Trap

This started out as kind of a snuff film thing. Was totally expecting it to be something like the good parts of Hostel. It turns quickly into a Japanese Giallo film complete with rad recurring soundtrack that reminds me both of something Goblin would do and the Halloween theme. Strangely enough, it morphs into something more like Akira / Tetsuo at the end. It's got a dingy, nasty warehouse aesthetic but it's actually quite nice to look at throughout. Like most of the films I randomly chose for HORROR OCTORBOR this year, I wouldn't recommend it to most people but it was enjoyable because it's wholly unpredictable and rather drat baffling.

After this and Zombie rear end, it's good to say that I'm taking a break from anything Japanese for a good long while.

None of the movies have been very good besides PA 5 and Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but it's been great fun watching movies that I vaguely know something about yet have never seen before because I can never predict what's going to happen in 75% of these films.

Next up: Wishmaster / Anaconda / Monster Squad / Willow Creek / In My Skin / We Are What We Are. Hoping these are a little less mindbreaking than the last 3 because it's been extremely rough.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 14, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

10/14/14: Wishmaster
This felt like a Tales from the Crypt episode from the way it was shot, the terrible acting, and the extreme corniness of everything. That being said, I enjoyed it. The times where the Djinn cuts loose with his powers contain some great practical effects.

10/15/14: Anaconda
This movie sucks. Voight was pretty terrible in this with his stupid accent and I bet the writers thought they were so smart for the Voight / Anaconda mirror stuff. JLo is a terrible actress. The snake sucks. Ice Cube is just Ice Cube. He even plays a Mack-10 song at some point. I'd rather listen to that song on repeat than watch Anaconda.

http://youtu.be/AK-WNMFBV68

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

17) Ravenous (1999)

This is another movie that was nowhere near my radar until a bunch of people in this thread mentioned it, but if you had just told me "Robert Carlyle plays a Wendiggy"

There. Fixed.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

10/16: Monster Squad
Extremely entertaining. Despite James Deen outfit kid, this was much more accurate to how my friends and I talked to each other. Just reminds me how much I hate it when Stephen King writes his child characters.

10/17: Willow Creek
Nothing really happens. This would be fine if there was any built up suspense but there isn't.

10/19: In My Skin
Wow. Self mutilation is extremely tough to watch. Pretty drat good.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

Late to the party but want to share a few quickies.

The Cat
From the director of The Story of Riki-Oh one of the most gore infused fight movies ever made comes a supernatrual horror about some aliens posing as people and one is a cat on earth trying to escape an alien monster as they assemble a spaceship or something. Look it might not be as well paced as Riki Oh or as quoteable but by golly it has fight scene that frankly you should only see ahead of time if the words Riki Oh didn't sell you on it already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpEzE2m_RAs here is that fight. Its got a monster that is a giant toadstool alien thats all sorts of goopy and for some reason one guy has a house is floor to ceiling books, everywhere.
Its horror gone comedy and doesn't even know. 5/5 GOOD LUCK FINDING A COPY

How did you find this?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

10/22: Shadow of the Vampire
Extremely fun. Willem Dafoe plays Nosferatu during the filming of the original movie. Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich plays Herzog as the director of the original.

Dafoe does a drat good job.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I've been watching movies every night, but I've been too swamped at work to write anything.

We Are What We Are:
It's decent. Much better than Stakeland, but the concept / ambition here is much less out there. Found it to be quite decent, but Dogtooth is similar and much stranger, but also so much more interesting. The Woman is rather similar, and I found this to be more enjoyable than that film.

Martin:
I enjoy Romero's non-zombie flicks a ton. Love Monkey Shines so much. This was a rather decent film. A bit weird, extremely low-budget, but I found it to be a rather interesting character study. Won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Nosferatu the Vampyre:
Herzog's version of Nosferatu. Haven't seen the original yet. Thought it was a bit boring. Thinking that something between this and Bram Stoker's Dracula would be pretty good. Both go too far in the opposite directions to be enjoyable.

Shadow of the Vampire:
Talked about this already, but it was fun as gently caress. Dafoe as Nosferatu knocks out out the park.

Abominable Dr. Phibes:
The only other Vincent Price thing I've seen was Madhouse, which was a bad one to start with. This reminded me of The Town that Dreaded Sundown because it intercuts some weird poo poo with police procedural stuff. The cops have some great witty banter and I very much enjoyed that part of the movie, but it was interspliced with some extremely bizarre Italian horror movie stuff and it didn't mesh very well. Thought it was decent, but not great.

VHS: Viral
This breaks my planned schedule, but I love the first two and couldn't wait any longer. It's weird as gently caress. I didn't like it half as much as VHS 2, but felt the throughline to be much stronger. Loved Bonestorm, but I think the insane Thailand cult thing was so much better. The magician thing was weak as gently caress, and I rather enjoyed the parallel universe thing. The budget was much higher on this one and it shows, but the dip in talent is even more noticeable. I hope this series continues, but it really needs some relatively bigger names than the people who did Deadgirl, The Otherside, Resolution and Dance with the Dead. This felt a bit more ABC's of Death than VHS to me.

Pit and the Pendulum:
Judging by Price, this is a bit older. Can't tell whether he's a great actor or a terrible one, to be honest. The cinematography was rather good despite it being shot completely inside one weird house. Thought it was rather boring, to be honest. Thought the twist was decent enough. These films to my uneducated tastes kind of feel like they should either be surreal or straight. poo poo or get off the pot. This feels kinda Italian to me, but it isn't weird enough to be interesting.

Quartermass and the Pit:
I liked this one quite a bit. Meshes some pagan imagery with sci-fi locust aliens. Enjoyed this quite a bit because the subject matter was rather captivating. I know there's a TV version of this. Is it the same story drawn out, or is it something different?

Next: Four Rooms or Rites of Spring or Proxy / Inferno / Stage Fright (owl mask one) / The Shout / Halloween / Trick R Treat

Pretty excited about the home stretch.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 26, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

10/26: Purge: Anarchy
There's a bunch here that on paper are great ideas - I would love a Frank Grillo on-the-run movie - but nothing here works. It sucks. Even the scenes where they use these ideas have something wrong with them.

10/27: Inferno

Like all Argento movies it looked really, really great the whole time. I thought the story was kind of cool and the way it switches to different characters for long periods of time effectively keeps you on your toes. That being said, I liked Deep Red, Suspiria and Tenebre much more than this. Admittedly, It takes me multiple viewings to really 'get' most Italian horror movies, so I'll probably appreciate it much more over time.

Next up: Stage Fright (Owl Version) / ???? Maybe The Shout / Halloween / Trick r Treat (Good Version)

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

35: Don't Look Now (1973)
This is an incredible film, that I feel like I didn't get the entirety of on my first viewing. There is clearly much in the way of metaphor and layered imagery throughout, such as how the color red seems to prefix whenever bad things happen. Not to mention how deeply the mix of the sacred and profane intertwine throughout the film. And finally, the title itself seems to be one of import, as eyes and seeing are a heavily used visual motif. I would really like to sometime go back and look at this study of how grief forms madness again, from a more analytical perspective.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/Five

This is a great film. Upon repeat viewings, there's a ton of foreshadowing that you don't pick up on. It's really, really good.

10/28: Stagefright (the older one)
A bunch of dubiously talented people are practicing for a play about a serial killer. The main actress attracts the attention of an actor who had previously had a psychotic break, and the film goes from there. Unabashedly '80's and ridiculous, but the film is rather surprisingly gory. The kills are pretty great. Since it's on a weird, dilapidated warehouse broadway set there are a bunch of intriguingly unique setpieces which are used inventively throughout the film. Enjoyed this one. The music goes from Kenny G to weird rock to lovely hip-hop breakbeats to some bad Dario Argento poo poo but it works rather well with the film. The inept cops who are sitting in a car in the rain who don't see or hear anything that's going on in the movie are hilarious.

10/29: Exorcist 3
This was so goddamn entertaining. It's a seriously funny movie but when poo poo hits the fan it's pretty awesome. Everyone in the movie gets their own chances to shine. I love the dialogue in this movie. It's related to the other films but it only makes passing references to Pazuzu, and by seeing this I can rest easy finally forgetting Exorcist 2 ever happened. It's a completely different film from Exorcist, which quite works in its favor. It reminds me most of Fallen, but it's probably more entertaining in every way. I just can't believe how funny the dialogue in this film is, which juxtaposes nicely with how tense some of the scenes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Halloween [10/30/14]:

There are some amazing shots in this film. The sound direction is totally on point. The acting is...serviceable. I can see why it's a stone cold classic. With all that out of the way, nothing really happens for most of this film. We get some incredibly tense shots of Myers out of frame as this weird, unknowable, almost even inhuman Where's Waldo, but this movie is does not justify its length.

This was the first time I'd seen the original, and I guess my viewing of it was brought down by the incredible hype and love surrounding this movie. I absolutely love Carpenter's films pre-Ghosts of Mars. I also saw the remake before this, which I kind of disliked because of all of the Myers backstory. It's a great film, but it just kind of felt both anticlimactic and a bit empty.

Trick r Treat [10/31/14]:

This was also a much-hyped film. I saw Trick R Treat with Gene Simmons last year by mistake, so I was really excited for this. It's...not for me at all. It had kind of a Holes vibe to it. The soundtrack was very children's Halloween style. Guess I was hoping for something less cheeky. Everything about this film is well-done, but I just can't enjoy anything with this type of atmosphere for some reason.

BONUS: Lords of Salem [10/31/14]:

I've already seen this a couple of times, but somebody gave me the Blu-ray for my birthday. Dissatisfied with Trick r Treat, decided to watch this again.

I really, really like this movie. It's got some strange pacing, and some really disturbing weird satanic witch poo poo in it. On my first viewing, I didn't know what the gently caress was happening and it was glorious. Rob Zombie movies always have rather dynamic, striking filming and his pool of actors just chew scenery like no other.

It's definitely not as good as Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant, or Repulsion, but the imagery here is extremely strong and hits nearly as hard as Enter the Void at points. I can definitely see why this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy it everytime I see it.

Final Tally: 35 movies
PA Marked Ones [9/30]/ Children of the Corn 10/1/14/ The Town / That Dreaded Sundown 10/2/14 / The Burning 10/2/14 / Murder Party 10/4/14 / Last Ride 10/4/14 / Body Parts 10/5/14 / Christine 10/6/14 / Crazies 10/7/14 / Shivers 10/8/14 / Bad Taste 10/9/14 / Invasion of the Body Snatchers [10/10/14] / Deadly Spawn [10/11/14] / The Visitor [10/11/14] / Zombie rear end [10/12/14] / Evil Dead Trap [10/13/14] / Wishmaster [10/14/14]
Anaconda [10/15/14] / Monster Squad [10/16/14] / Willow Creek [10/17/14] / In My Skin [10/18/14]
We Are What We Are [10/19/14] / Martin [10/20/14] / Nosferatu [10/21/14] / Shadow of the Vampire [10/22/14]
Abominable Dr Phibes [10/23/14] / VHS Viral [10/24/14] / Pit and the Pendulum [10/24/14] / Quartermass and the Pit [10/25/14] / Purge Anarchy [10/26/14] / Inferno [10/27/14] / Stage Fright [10/28/14] / Exorcist 3 [10/29/14] / Halloween [10/30/14] / Trick r Treat [10/31/14] / Lords of Salem [10/31/14] BONUS

Must See [13]: PA Marked Ones, The Burning, Murder Party, Christine, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Monster Creek, In My Skin, We Are What We Are, Martin, Shadow of the Vampire, VHS Viral, Quartermass and the Pit, Stage Fright, Exorcist 3, Halloween, Lords of Salem
Okay, I Guess [8]: The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Crazies, The Visitor, Wishmaster, Nosferatu, The Abominable Dr Phibes, Purge Anarchy, Inferno, Trick r Treat
Bad [5]: Body Parts, Shivers, Deadly Spawn, The Visitor, Evil Dead Trap, Pit and the Pendulum
loving Terrible [6]: Children of the Corn, Bad Taste, Zombie rear end, Anaconda, Willow Creek, Purge Anarchy

• Locked thread