Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

discoukulele posted:

I'm starting with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer tonight

You're in for a treat. Definitely one of my all-time favourites.

I'm gonna try it this year. I'm using it to rewatch a lot of classics I haven't seen in a while and catch up on some new horror I've neglected. I got my hands on a copy of The Town That Dreaded Sundown a while ago and have been saving it for October.

Tonight, though, I'm starting with Psycho and Night of the Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Last night I rewatched the Scream series.

Scream - Obviously the best of the series and still holds up. What I noticed especially this time around was how good the final act actually was. Specifically the geography of Stu's house. It was clear and laid out well, but still vague enough to cheat some stuff. Also, it's kind of surprising that Matthew Lillard and Skeet Ulrich sell their exposition dump as well as they do because... well, it's Skeet Ulrich and Matthew Lillard.

Scream 2 - This movie tapers off hard. It actually starts off pretty strong(the opening with Jada Pinkett-Smith and Omar Epps is fantastic) but all the life drains out of the movie after Randy dies. Which is surprising, because he doesn't get to do much up until then. After that there's really only one great moment(the escape from the crashed car) and one kinda cool moment(Dewey being stabbed in the soundproof room) and the rest just whimpers off.

Scream 3 - It's bad, and dumb, and the worst of the series, but it knows it's a comedy. That's not the problem. The problem's that it's not as funny as the first one and it's definitely not as scary. And I can't take Patrick Dempsey serious in this. He comes off as closer to Can't Buy Me Love Dempsey than Grey's Anatomy Dempsey. Also, this movie starts the trend of killing off characters it shouldn't. why kill off the funniest character in your comedy?! Parker Posey deserves better than that!

Scream 4 - I want to like it more than I do. It's got a decent concept but it doesn't delve into nearly as much as it should. All the new characters are bland and underserved--which has been a problem since the first sequel--and they kind of bungled the ending. And the movie shot itself in the foot by having that god-awful soft-focus throughout, which I can only assume was a prerequisite for the older cast to come back and act against the younger cast. Plus, they kill off Hayden Panettiere, which is dumb because she gets the only really good moment in the movie and she's the only new cast member who makes an impression. She has an easy charm similar to the characters in the first movie.

It's my first rewatch of the movies in a few years but my ranking's still the same: 1>>>>2>4>3

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

weekly font posted:

Yep, I'd put them in the same order after a rewatch. Four also has one of my favorite parts of the entire series the killer actually winning (sorta) and how it would look for them to set up the entire narrative afterwards. Emma Roberts may be unconvincing physically as a killer, but she's fantastic in that moment. Also, the fact that the last time you see Kirby she's very much alive but bleeding out makes me think they'd bring her back in 5. They really went out of the way to set her up as a hybrid of Randy and Tatum who are fans' favorite characters. But hopefully there is no 5 anyway.

Yeah, you're right. I think Emma Roberts actually does a good job in the movie. Her character doesn't really do anything interesting until the end, unfortunately, but she sells it really well. She has a kind of a natural dead-eyed look that helps too.

And, yeah, no Scream 5 please.

• Locked thread