Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I didn't notice this thread until today, but I've been doing the challenge. I've only recently really gotten into horror, so there's a lot of classics of the genre that I've missed. I'm also just watching a lot of random stuff off of Netflix. Mostly going to stick to things I haven't seen before, or only seen parts of, but I can't guarantee that old favorites won't sneak in.

October 1st- The Host: I've been meaning to watch this one for a while, and I'm glad I finally did. It's funnier than I was expecting, and mixes a lot of genres well (I definitely wasn't expecting it to get so apocalyptic at the end).

October 2nd- Detention: Yeah, this was pretty crazy. Not exactly horror, but kind of a gonzo high school comedy that mixes horror, John Hughes movies, and a style like Scot Pilgrim. I really liked it, and its worth a watch, but I can see where it could be grating for other people. It's also rushed, and not every joke and plot point works, but they happen so fast that it's not really problem.

October 3rd- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre: Holy poo poo. Coming off of the first two relatively light-hearted movies, this was loving rough. It felt grimy and gross, and the sounds were some of the most unnerving things I've ever heard. I loved this and can totally see why it's such a classic.

October 4th- The House on Haunted Hill: This is the original, with Vincent Price. It has some flaws, but overall I enjoyed it. As much as I appreciate it's lean running time, it felt rushed and I can see an extra 20 minutes really doing a lot to ease that. Some of the plot was convoluted, and a lot of characters weren't given anything to do. But I dug the set design, and all the actors were great, even when they weren't given much to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
October 5th- The Legend of Hell House: This was nice and understated for the most part, with some really intense scenes livening things up. The movie did a really good job of buildup, even if the payoff wasn't always there, and there was pretty constantly a sense of dread and tension.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Uhh..., I somehow got a day ahead, I guess?

October 5th (again), The Den: I've been hearing people on here talk this movie up quite a bit, and I figured it was time to watch it before I peaked at any more spoilers. I'm glad I did, this is a rough movie. I really enjoyed the V/H/S segment that was told over a video chat, so I was really happy to see another movie in that style. This is way more brutal than that short, and in all honesty much better made. I had trouble watching parts of this, but I think it's all worth it. I agree with others who defended the ending for contextualizing the whole thing, but I also think I would have been fine with the movie leaving more of a mystery.

• Locked thread