Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It's the first day of October, Halloween is right around the corner, and that means it's time to desensitize ourselves with an overabundance of horror movies!

:spooky::ghost:October Horror Movie Challenge!:ghost::spooky:

Last year we did a thread like this, and I hadn't seen a new one pop up yet, so I thought I'd do the honors. We managed to get a lot of good discussions, and some good recommendations, so hopefully that trend will continue.

The rules are simple: every day, watch a horror movie, or try to watch at least 31 by Halloween. Use this thread to keep track of your progress, and please leave a small review (at least). Feel free to discuss, ask for recommendations, etc.

Happy viewing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:spooky:UPDATED TWICE ON 10/20 TO MAKE usb teledildonics HAPPY:spooky:

AMC's Fearfest schedule (Begins October 17th)
ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween (Begins October 19th)
Disney Channel Monstober (Begins October 2nd)
Syfy 31 Days of Halloween
Turner Classic Movies

For reference, here's a list of good (or at least watchable) horror movies that are available on Netflix streaming:

:zombie:Zombies
*Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
Shivers
Fido
World War Z
Pontypool
Re-Animator
*Day of the Dead
Dead Before Dawn
*Night of the Living Dead
Dead Snow

:eek:Anthologies
Chillerama
V/H/S
V/H/S 2
Creepshow 2
The ABCs of Death
Celluloid Bloodbath

:roboluv:Aliens/Sci-Fi
Night of the Creeps
Event Horizon
Grabbers
*Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Galaxy of Terror
Bad Taste

:chef:Slashers
The Town that Dreaded Sundown
We Are What We Are
You're Next
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
Texas Chainsaw
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
American Psycho
Scream
Scream 2
*Silence of the Lambs
Maniac (2012)
Children of the Corn
Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers
Bay of Blood
Return to Horror High

:ghost:Ghosts/Supernatural
Dark Touch
Rigor Mortis
Dead Silence
The Innkeepers
The Legend of Hell House
The Blair Witch Project
The Awakening
The Frighteners
Grave Encounters
House
Candyman
The Serpent and the Rainbow
The Pact
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Ju-On: The Grudge
Carnival of Souls

:drac:Vampires
Shadow of the Vampire
From Dusk Till Dawn
Lair of the White Worm
Fright Night (1985)
*Nosferatu
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Let the Right One In
Stake Land
Vampire in Brooklyn

:cthulhu:Monsters
Monkey Shines
Slugs
The Fly (1958)
Leprechaun
Mimic
Frogs
Bad Milo!
Anaconda
The Howling sequels
Absentia
*The Host

:witch:Witches/Psychics
The Craft
Carrie (remake)

:devil:Demons/Possession
Tamara
Wishmaster
Devil
*Rosemary's Baby
Hellraiser
*The House of the Devil
Insidious 2
The Prophecy
The Possession
The Ninth Gate

:barf:Miscellaneous/B-Movies/Schlock
Dead Heat
Nightmare City
The Woman
Plan 9 From Outer Space
The Human Centipede: First Sequence
The Human Centipede 2
*The Stuff
Red State
C.H.U.D.
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
Sharknado
Orca: The Killer Whale
Satan's Little Helper
*The Toxic Avenger
House of Whipcord

:thejoke:Horror Comedy
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
The Cabin in the Woods
John Dies At The End
I Sell the Dead
A Fantastic Fear of Everything

:pedo:Family Friendly
ParaNorman
*The Addams Family
*Ghostbusters
Are You Afraid of the Dark? (only on Amazon Prime)
Goosebumps
Courage the Cowardly Dog
The Hole
The Little Ghost

:eng101:Documentaries
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy
Best Worst Movie
Nightmares in Red, White & Blue
Machete Maidens Unleashed
The American Scream
Doc of the Dead
Birth of the Living Dead
Nightmare Factory
A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss

:munch:Mystery Science Theater 3000
*Werewolf
Gamera Vs. Guiron
Future War
*Laserblast
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
Night of the Blood Beast
Devil Fish
The Atomic Brain
The Phantom Planet
Gamera Vs. Barugon
The Unearthly
Beginning of the End

Only On HBO Go
The Conjuring
The Purge
Red Dragon
Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood
The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
The Fury

Only on Hulu Plus
Cannibal Holocaust
Scanners
Antichrist
Eraserhead
House (1977)
The Blob (1958)
Vampyr
Godzilla, King of the Monsters!
House on Haunted Hill (Rifftrax)
Puppet Master

Only on Amazon Prime

*Cannibal Holocaust
Best Halloween Music Videos (for your Halloween Party needs)
Rob Zombie's Halloween
An American Werewolf in London
Black Sabbath

*Classics of the genre

For more streaming you can check out the following:
B-Movies.com
Fright Pix

(The list is subject to grow, especially if anyone has any good recommendations.)

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 20, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Angryhead posted:

I'm not planning to on getting a full 31 this year - managed to do that last October - but I hope it's still cool to post in this thread. I've got the Universal Classic Monsters blu-ray set on the way - shamefully, I've not seen a single one of them... but that just means I'll have a lot of quality classics to go through!

You're more than welcome to post what you watch in here. I'm not trying to nit-pick, it's supposed to be a fun challenge (I only managed to get to twenty-something last year).

And I'm very jealous that you've never seen the Universal Monster Movies. Bride of Frankenstein and The Wolf Man are fantastic, and are two of my favorite horror movies. Please let us know what you think of them after you watch them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Legend of Hell House is great. Very creepy, atmospheric, and the weird ghost seduction/rape is unsettling. I think the ending is kind of silly, though.

A man screaming "You're so evil because you're short!" to exorcise a ghost is ridiculous.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
October 1st: I had some friends over, and we all agreed to watch the documentary Nightmare Factory, which is about Greg Nicotero, horror movie special effects extraordinaire, and his company. If you like the behind the scenes look at monster effects and gore while seeing some of the business side of things, it's a fun quick 90 minutes.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Tonight I'm going to do a double feature, but I'm not sure of what yet. I'm trying to watch as many new movies as I can and save the classics for the last week.

Lurdiak posted:

Hey I'm going to do a horror movie stream this month, is it appropriate to post it in here? I'm going to show at least 24 films. I don't think it's worth making its own thread but it seems like it fits this one? Idk.

Yeah, you're good to go!

Edit: Double check the list of movies on Netflix streaming. They just added a few new horror movies, (including the hard to find Cronenberg debut Shivers), and I'm going to be updating the list.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 2, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Absentia C

Me and my roommate watched this two weeks ago since it was brought up in the Netflix thread. We stopped at the last 20 minutes of the of movie and took a break to see if we could guess how all the loose ends tie up, trying to guess the big pay-off. We were pretty disappointed that, despite our best guess work, the pay off just wasn't there.

It's an interesting movie about grief, but I agree that giant bugs is a weird aspect of the movie, especially with the Brothers Gruff allusions.

The worst part of the movie is this guy:

Detective Lonergan. In every scene he's in, he is chewing gum. Loudly. Something like this normally wouldn't bother me, but the fact that he's chewing gum with an open mouth, his ugly teeth are showing, and the sound design decided to make sure there was chewing gum sounds, was completely distracting. I don't think I would care if the character wasn't already a complete douche bag, but I hated every scene he was in. That's the only clip I could find to show this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just finished The Town that Dreaded Sundown. It's the same writer and director as Boggy Creek 2: The Legend Continues (the third in the series) made famous on MST3k (one of my favorite episodes).

The movie is competently made. It has an odd documentary-style narration, and it's kind of episodic, concentrating on major accounts of attacks by the serial killer. It's an interesting early slasher film, it avoids showing gore much like Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but it has very bizarre attacks (there's a weird scene where a woman is tortured by the serial killer hitting her with a trombone while trying to play it through a burlap sack) similar to the Friday the 13th series use of variety in murder objects.
It kept me watching.

I'm watching Shivers now for the first time. I like Cronenberg, and I've been trying to watch this movie for years, but it's hard to find. Glad Netflix added it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So far I'm three down. I'll be going to Halloween Horror Nights tonight, so I had to do a double feature last night.

1st: Nightmare Factory: 3/5
2nd: The Town That Dreaded Sundown: 3/5
3rd: Shivers

Shivers was wonderful. I love watching debuts of great directors. Cronenberg is one of the greatest horror directors around, and his movies always unnerve me (especially Dead Ringers). I've been a fan ever since I watched his remake of The Fly during a fever and it made me want to vomit. Here, he has no budget and no good actors. You can see he's developing his trademarks: gore, sexuality, body horror, and dark endings. I'm glad I finally managed to watch it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

I updated the movie list to show what's on HBO Go right now as well.

And anyone who watches Never Sleep Again is in for a treat. It's one of the best horror movie documentaries, it's a huge labor of love, and the enthusiasm is so infectious that I wanted to watch all of the Elm Street movies immediately after watching it. I wish the Friday the 13th documentary was as good, and I want them to make one for the Halloween series.

I'll be watching more on Saturday.

Edit: I added movies that are only on Amazon Prime free streaming to the movie list.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 3, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Halloween Horror Nights was very fun. If you get a chance to go, the house based off of the original Halloween is fantastic. It put me in the mood to watch it tonight, and I'll mix a few new movies in there as well.

A bit off-topic, but if you're in the mood for Halloween music, HalloweenRadio.net is a wonderful streaming service with the best selection and variety that I know of.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So far:

1st: Nightmare Factory
2nd: The Town That Dreaded Sundown

October 4th: The ABC's of Death

I let my roommate pick the next movie, as long as it was something that I hadn't seen. He watched it about a year ago and really liked it, so I agreed. Like most anthology movies, it seems very polarizing. I liked it, but it makes me wonder how many of the directors bounced ideas off of each other. There is a constant theme of fecal humor throughout. There are whole stories based around farts and poo poo. It was bizarre. I'm a fan of Adam Wingard, and his short delivers. The first few shorts delivered as well. There was little budget, and they only have 3 minutes or so to deliver the concept. Some of them, like A, C, and E really deliver. Some of them, like D, are more about atmosphere and execution, which was fun. I really like Ti West, but his short, M, was like a lame one-hit joke that was based more on shock value than anything. It's such a hit and miss movie, it's hard not to recommend it, because there's something there for everyone. Unless you dislike jokes about poo poo and farts. I'd rewatch it in a few years, but it's not a yearly staple.

:spooky::spooky:.5/5 (I hate using a half, but it really doesn't deserve 3)

October 5th: Re-Animator

The first movie of the month that I've seen before. This is an absolute classic, and it gets better every time. Jeffrey Combs delivers in every scene. The special effects are great, but the sound design is what makes the movie, especially when any gore is involved. My roommate had been drinking when we watched it, and he had to leave to go vomit. It's a movie made with a lot of love and every actor has so much fun hamming it up. If you've never seen it, you're doing yourself a disservice.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Lurdiak posted:

An American Werewolf in Paris

Werewolves are my favorite movie monster. I have a vivid memory of being 6 years old and seeing the trailer for this movie (which was odd, because it couldn't have been in theaters for long). I remember the trailer ends with a huge black pit and the werewolf leaping from the depths towards the viewer, and it scared the gently caress out of me. There were many moments in my childhood of seeing a dark hallway and just knowing that a huge werewolf would step out from around the corner and I would have nowhere to run.

Then I watched it when I was a teenager and saw it was a really poo poo film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Amber Sweet posted:

I'm definitely gonna try to watch all the Friday 13ths (I've only ever seen the first) and Nightmare on Elm Street, just because.. you know, I consider myself a horror fan but I've never seen either of these series and they seem like must-sees. Also gonna try to stick in a lot of the Living Dead series because I haven't seen a lot of those either.

Anyone have any recs for the best ones in all of these series? I won't be able to watch them all so I'd rather gloss over the particularly bad ones.

For Friday the 13th, my personal favorites are: Part 1, Part 2, Part 4, Part 6, Freddy Vs. Jason, and the remake. Part 3 and 5 are really fun, but they are different. Part 5 has some of the craziest death scenes. Part 3 has some of the more memorable characters (like Shelly, who is basically a Goon, and the stoners), but some people find the 3D gimmick distracting. Part 2 and 4 are equally my favorite sequel.

Freddy Vs. Jason is interesting. I watched it again a few months ago, and the director, Ronny Yu, used his Chinese influence big time: Freddy and Jason are both elemental forces of evil. Freddy fears fire, and Jason fears water. It's a clash between these two spirits, and the people are pawns in their game. A lot of the violence is stylized and over-the-top (Ronny Yu has an anecdote where they asked him how much blood he wanted in the movie. Since he had free reign, he said "Barrels. Barrels and barrels."). It's not my favorite in either series, but it's an interested interpretation of the characters and it's very fun.

Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 1, Part 3, Part 4, New Nightmare. A lot of people like Part 2, but I'm not in that camp. Part 5 has a very disturbing scene of Freddy's origin, but the movie starts falling apart quickly. The Nightmare series has this amazing opportunity to look into the psyche's of the characters and use their fears/subconscious/memories as fear tactics in their dreams. There isn't a single one in the series that capitalizes on this, but the three I like get close to this. Part 3 is my favorite sequel. Avoid the remake.

Both series have documentaries about the cultural impact and the making of the movies. Crystal Lake Memories is good, but Never Sleep Again is fantastic. Don't be intimidated by the 4 hour length. It flies by and never drags.

You really should watch all of the sequels, though. Each one has it's own merits, and they're all watchable.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think the most important part of what works about Freddy vs. Jason is that they actually somehow managed to come up with a premise that doesn't sound stupid and like a dumb excuse to get them to fight. The idea that Freddy's power can be taken away by forgetting about him was already established in the Nightmare series, and Jason had already become a supernatural/immortal being, so it made sense that Freddy could somehow bring him back and use him. If you're a fan of both series the whole thing really does make perfect sense, which is kind of a crazy thing to say about a monster mash-up movie like Freddy vs. Jason.

I do have a sperg moment about FvJ, though. They make a big deal about Jason being afraid of water, it's his weakness. However, I believe there are several deaths throughout the Friday series that involves Jason swimming and killing someone in the water. For a movie that gets pretty much everything right, that bothers me. That, and a major plot point is two characters fell in love when they were 14, but it's okay, because "What we had was real".

But yes, I enjoy that the plot is logical, especially when you hear all of the lovely ideas they had beforehand.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, everybody, don't be afraid to discuss horror movies or ask for recommendations or anything. That's what this is all about. Just don't be an rear end in a top hat, and it's all good.

Lurdiak posted:

It's a contrived psychological weakness they invented for the film, but it actually makes perfect sense, and I'd have liked to see future films use it. Of course they went and rebooted the Friday series with that flop turd remake in 2009, so never mind.

I know it was invented for the movie. I was just mentioning that it definitely contradicts aspects of the earlier movies. A quick look at this list shows Samantha in Part IV dies in a raft. I was just sperging.

Basebf555 posted:

I suppose this isn't the thread to debate whether it was good or bad(personally I think it may be the best of the entire series), but the Friday remake wasn't a flop at all. It had a very successful opening weekend and ended up making a decent amount of money. Its getting a sequel so the studio obviously didn't see it as a flop.

I really liked the Friday the 13th remake, and I added it to the list of sequels Amber Sweet was asking about. It adds to the series without taking anything away, they went back to a cruel fast Jason like the original four movies, it didn't go through the remake bullshit like A Nightmare on Elm Street (which was terrible and boring), and you can tell everyone involved in the movie had a complete blast. It's easily better than Parts 8, 9 and Jason X. I saw it twice in theaters. Of all of the iconic slasher remakes, I thought it was the best one, with Rob Zombie's Halloween a close second.

Also, this chart is loving cool, but it's spoilers for anyone that hasn't seen the whole series, so...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Agreed, "reboot" is more appropriate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
2nd: The Town That Dread Sundown
4th: ABC's of Death
5th: Re-Animator

October 6th: Creepshow 2

Another new one for me. I'm a big fan of the original Creepshow. Someone mentioned (and then recanted) that they preferred this one over the original, so I decided it was time to check it out.

First, this movie isn't as scary as the original, but it's just as dark. There are no happy endings in this collection. I liked each of the stories.

The characters are ridiculous. The first story bad guys are losers that get in way over their head ("It took me nine years to grow this hair, man!"). The second story, The Raft, is the best in the collection, and even those characters are complete idiots (I feel like the actors, who are supposed to be high the whole time, were the straight-edge kids that have never smoked weed before and trying to pretend). The third story was kind of boring to me. It's just so much fun to watch everyone act so drat goofy.

My friends watched it with me, and a few of them thought it was creepy, so that's a plus.

Best parts: The special effects are great; Stephen King's cameo is the best acting he's done on film; The Raft is wonderful; a character obsessed with the fame his hair will gain him in Hollywood.

Overall, not a good movie, but a fun movie. I wish they made more anthology films in this vein rather than V/H/S.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5 for fun and special effects.

I'm glad to see Never Sleep Again is getting so much love. The other documentaries I mentioned in the movie list are very good too. You guys should give them a chance.

EDIT: I added MST3k movies on Netflix and horror movies on Hulu Plus to the movie list.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 7, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NuclearPotato posted:

Oct 3: Nightmares in Red, White and Blue:
This one, I didn't enjoy nearly as much. I feel like I would have enjoyed a documentary on the evolution of horror movies around the globe a bit better. (Actually, the most notable omission that I noticed in this was that period back in the mid 2000's where the big thing in horror that wasn't Saw we're remakes of Japanese horror movies).

You'll probably enjoy the Mark Gatiss History of Horror documentary. I have a link to the full series in the movie list. It concentrates more on the older movies, but it's a bit more thorough. Plus, Gatiss is a really good host. I like a person that can share their interests and it becomes infectious. After watching, I binge-watched all of the original Universal Monster movies.

NuclearPotato posted:

Oct 4: MST3K: The Killer Shrews:

"Automatic pilot can't play Dixieland jazz on them banjos like I can!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So far:

6th: Creepshow 2

October 7th: Nosferatu (original)

Everyone was talking about it yesterday, and it's been a few years since I've watched it, so I put this on. There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. This movie is still creepy, unnerving, and visually engaging, and I feel like I should watch it more often than I do.

When I was eight years old, my favorite show was Are You Afraid of the Dark? on Nickelodeon. I could handle the show most of the time, but there was one episode that scared me to my core: The Tale of the Midnight Madness. A beautiful old theater is running out of business. An eccentric old man (Dr. Vink! With a vuh-vuh-vuh!) claims he has the answer: play an old horror movie, and the business will boom. The movie: Nosferatu. It's a hit, the theater booms, but there's a catch: at night, Nosferatu the vampire escapes the movie and kills the people of the theater. Dark poo poo for a show for children. If you've never seen the episode, you should. It's one of the best (and on Amazon Prime)

I didn't see the real Nosferatu until much later, and I was too old for it to have a real effect. Still, I love this movie, and my introduction to it was terrifying.

October 7th Bonus Round: Virgin Witch

I was in the mood for schlock, and I found this rough gem on Netflix streaming.

Two sisters are hired by a modeling agency for a weekend photo shoot, but it's really a recruitment for new witches for a coven!

Despite the premise, I have a hard time calling this an exploitation movie. There's a lot of nudity, but there's only a few sex scenes (mainly for initiations to the coven), and it's never really graphic. It's not trying to be crazy or memorable like a Corman movie. It's a slow burn, boring in parts, but it does have some surreal moments and fun use of color and lights. Not a complete waste of time. It has horror elements, but I'm not counting it towards my 31.

:spooky:/5

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

So I'm looking for alternate places to stream Scream Stream this weekend. Do you guys think it's better to have a big dumb watermark in the bottom right of the broadcast and no real chat option to speak of, or to risk getting shut down for violating Twitch's obnoxious "only video games!!!" policy?

Isn't the whole point the chat?

Anyway, this article may help, and there's this thing on Reddit(ugh).

Maybe just set up a stream and then chat on a separate client?

(I dunno, I've never streamed anything in my life.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's the same episode.

Me and my friends like to watch AYAOTD? after a night at the bars. The creepiest episode, even as an adult, is The Tale of Watcher's Woods. Hands down, there are some disturbing undertones in that episode.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I started watching Never Sleep Again with my roommate, and it's really messed up my watching pattern. For a guy that can play a videogame for 6 hours in a row, he can only watch about an hour of this documentary at a time.

7th: Nosferatu (bonus movie: Virgin Witch)

October 8th: The Stuff

This movie was a goon favorite in the Netflix thread a while ago. I had started watching it, but barely remembered any of it, so it was a first watch.

This movie is ridiculous. It's campy, it's goofy, and the subtext is barely hidden. That said, it's such a fun movie, similar to Night of the Creeps (but not as good). The characters were written like complete idiots. The effects are great. I get the feeling that Larry Cohen got the movie greenlit and took the opportunity to do everything that his budget made possible. Fun movie, but I can only see some of the effects scaring a child or someone dropping acid.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5 because of how fun it was.

October 9th: A Nightmare on Elm Street

My room mate wanted to watch some of the series after we got through a lot of the documentary. He really wants to watch Dream Warriors, but I don't own it and it isn't on streaming. I haven't seen the original in a while, and I figured it was time to revisit some classics.

I saw this movie when I was 14 years old, and it scared the poo poo out of me. I didn't want to sleep. By that age, I had already seen some scary things, but it is so drat effective.

There are some aspects that haven't aged as well. The music is hit and miss. The Elm Street theme is great and memorable. Some scenes with Freddy have really weird synth music, and it creates a weird mood. Other times, the sound design was really effective: the use of steam whistling through teapots, metal scraping metal, glass cracking, bells ringing, etc. The special effects and visuals are still great. Tina's death still can't be beaten. A lot of the visuals for the dreams are amazing (I love the muddy eels). I noticed the use of lighting more this time around, especially in Nancy's dream at school. It starts off with the same ambient daylight, but every shot includes more shadows until she's surrounded by shadows and Freddy's chasing her. Very cool.

Nightmare has a whole atmosphere to it. It's a story only partially based in reality. Dreams are more than dreams, things can be brought in and out of them. Every character is ashamed of something: the kids all are scared of the same dreams, but they're afraid to say anything to each other about it (they're just dreams, you know?); the parents all have blood on their hands, and they don't handle it well (Tina's mom is a loose woman; Nancy's mom's an alcoholic, her dad's distant and angry; Rod's parents are nowhere to be seen; Glenn's parents seem to be removed from reality). Nancy is the only one that really tries to get everyone together, but no one really wants to see what's going on. The actions seems futile, and she's pretty much alone.

I have a hard time picking Wes Craven's best movie. To be fair, I've only seen about half of his filmography. Still, I think Nightmare is his best, followed by Scream. It's a horror staple for a reason.

October 10th: Never Sleep Again

I have about an hour left of this, but I'm finishing it tonight. I've seen it all, but this movie is just a blast to watch, especially when the productions for the sequels becomes chaos (here's to you Part 4 and Part 5). Robert Englund is great. Half of the movie he is justifying and extrapolating on subtext that may or may not be there (some of it's on-point, others complete bullshit), and then we find out Robert Englund can't shut the hell up during make-up application. Amazing. There's so much information tin this documentary, and I could talk about it for hours.

If you're a big fan, if you love horror movies in general, if you like 80's culture, or just have a passing interest in Elm Street, you you really need to watch this movie. There's so much love for this series and it's so drat infectious.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5 for being 4 hours long and not having a single dull moment.

I'm really in the mood for classic horror movies. I want to watch a few of the Universal Monster movie sequels and some Hammer Horror. Anything from the 50's-70's. Any suggestions from one of the big streaming services, or any alternative sources to watch some?

:siren:EDIT: I UPDATED THE MOVIE LIST WITH TELEVISION MOVIE MARATHON SCHEDULES:siren:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 11, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NuclearPotato posted:

1: Is Never Sleep Again a good watch if you haven't seen any of the Nightmare on Elm Street films?

100% yes. It will probably make you want to watch a few, if not all of them, after.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
2nd: The Town that Dreaded Sundown
8th: The Stuff
9th: A Nightmare on Elm Street
10th: Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy

October 11th: Eraserhead

One of my all-time favorite movies from one of my all-time favorite directors. After work, my friend came over to hang out. He had never seen Eraserhead. He's open-minded enough to put up with my weirder movie tangents, and I wanted to :420:freak him out:420:.

There's a documentary that used to air on IFC late at night about famous midnight movies and their histories (Pink Flamingos, Night of the Living Dead, Eraserhead, etc.) and then would play one of the midnight movies. This is how I was introduced to Eraserhead and David Lynch, and fell in love with his work. Every time I watch Eraserhead, I think I've got it figured out, and then the ending hits and I question all of my interpretations. It doesn't help that David Lynch has been listening to fan interpretations for decades and says he hasn't heard an interpretation that was close to his intention (which he's totally happy with).

This movie seems to be a happy little mistake. It took 4 years to make. Lynch was working as a roofer. Lynch was editing the movie hours before its first preview at a film festival. Lynch's marriage was on the rocks, and he was still a new parent. He often slept in the bedroom set. Jack Nance had to keep his hair in the crazy style for four years.

Production was so slow and troubled that Lynch wanted to give up, until he opened a Bible and saw a Bible verse that seemed to answer all of his questions and quiet his doubt. To this day, he has never mentioned the Bible verse, and I think (sadly) he'll take it to the grave with him. Again, people guess (Psalms 23:4 is a popular one), but no one will really know for sure. That's the whole movie in a nutshell: it is full of absurd symbols and surreal imagery. No one really knows how the baby was made (again, Lynch's secrecy), no one knows how they made all of the sound effects; it's a movie made from secrets. There is no right way or wrong way to interpret the film.

The atmosphere is amazing: the dialogue is sparse, the sound design is nightmare fuel, the imagery is beautiful, and the emotions are conflicting (the dinner scene, for instance, mixes black comedy, horror, and sci-fi to make a date from hell that would fit in a nightmare rom-com).

It has made it's lasting impression. It has it's spot in the Criterion Collection, it inspired Stanley Kubrick during the production of The Shining, it's style is imitated and referenced often. It's a movie that, to this day, still baffles and amazes new viewers. And it's not even Lynch's best.

I love this movie.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5 because why don't we have a David Lynch thread?

October 12th: Tales from the Crypt Double Feature: Demon Knight/Bordello of Blood

Despite being a fan of the show, I have never seen either of these movies. It was mentioned here, and I wanted something fun and new, so I started with Demon Knight.

It did not disappoint. Billy Zane is amazing. The whole movie was a fun "where have I seen them before?" game. The action is insane, the gore is cringe-worthy, and the story was an over-the-top blast. Loved every minute of it.

So I had to watch Bordello of Blood.

The references to the first movie were fun, and it's a good story, but it's just not as good. I still loved every minute, the gratuitous nudity was fun, and Corey Feldman was great. The main character's personality got on my nerves a bit, though.

For fun horror movies, they can't be beat.

14 movies so far. I'll probably exceed 31 by the time Halloween rolls by. I'm starting to mix favorites and classics with new movies at this point since we're almost half-way through. Rocky Horror will be playing at a theater near me soon, so that's going to make the list as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Movie 15: The Creature from the Black Lagoon

I really don't have much to say about the movie itself. It's one of the all time great classic horror/sci-fi movies, and a showcase for the last of the classic Universal Monsters. If you haven't seen it, get on that poo poo now. What I do want to focus on is the presentation of this movie. I have seen this one on tv and VHS, but I had never seen it in 3D before. This movie is one of the more famous 3D presentations of the 1950s. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the blu ray edition included in the Universal Monster boxset offered a 3d option. It almost made watching this seem like a first time viewing. This is one of the nicest 3D films I've ever seen. It doesn't rely on things popping out too often, and instead focuses on creating a layered world. If you have the option to watch this in 3D, I highly recommend that you do so.

I live in Jacksonville, FL. A bit of fun history is that Jacksonville was originally considered to be the home of the film industry before Hollywood, CA. The weather is good most of the time, it's easy to ship to and travel to (major naval city), and the cost of living is much lower. However, the city decided to vote against it, as they were afraid it would cause a boom in crime, and we missed out. (Now we bounce on and off "top crime/murder capitals of the country" list.)

One of the most famous movies filmed in and around Jacksonville, FL is actually The Creature from the Black Lagoon and it's sequel (the sequel was mostly filmed in Marineland, about 45 miles south, between us and Daytona).

A lot of the smaller indie theaters do homages to this fact and have memorabilia from the movies. My favorite being Sun-Ray Cinema in Riverside. They usually do a special 3D screening once a year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Absolutely, I can definitely see that after watching Creeps. But for me it feels like the people who did Slither saw Night of the Creeps and set out to go even further(they had more money and better technology), and they did. When the movie is about alien slugs I want there to be some gooey disgusting scenes and I didn't think Night of the Creeps delivered that.

James Gunn has actually gone on record to say that he had never seen Night of the Creeps before making SLiTHER and was confused by all the people saying he was copying it/ripping it off/remaking it. I think he waited for SLiTHER to get out of the theaters before he watched it. I don't remember if he said this on the SLiTHER commentary, or behind the scenes feature on the DVD.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been running behind because of my social life. Time to get back to the horror!

11th: Eraserhead
12th: Demon Knight & Bordello of Blood

October 13th: Sorority House Massacre

This movie sounds really fun on paper, but it's one of the most forgettable slasher movies I've seen. I watch it every few years, and never remember a detail. Put it on with some friends, and it became background noise about half-way through. It has some shots that I liked, but it's definitely the worst movie I've watched all season.

:spooky::spooky:/5

October 14th: ABC's of Death 2

My friend had found a way to watch it. The shorts are still hit and miss, but it's a bit more consistent. I've decided that the best way to enjoy this series is with a group of friends drinking and trying to guess the theme. The group favorite was D, and we still don't understand it.

October 15th: House on Haunted Hill (original)

A classic for a reason. It's fun, and Vincent Price steals every scene. Nothing more to add that hasn't already been said in general, or in this thread.

I'm going to watch more classics now, and add in a few cool movies I've heard in this thread.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

We really need to resurrect the thread for showing off DVD/Blu Ray collections, because yours looks awesome.

Yeah, seriously. I have a lot of DVDs, but they're more run-of-the-mill instead of awesome, more obscure titles. These are making me rethink my whole life.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
13th: Sorority House Massacre
14th: ABC's of Death 2
15th: House on Haunted Hill

October 16th: Evil Dead 2

One of my favorite sequels, and one of my favorite horror movies. It's filmed just like a Warner Brothers cartoon. It's insane. I love the Evil Dead series. Not much to say other than that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As per request, I updated the OP movie list to include Cannibal Holocaust on Amazon Prime and The Conjuring on HBO GO.

Both of them are really good movies, so check them out.

Also, some movies were taken down from streaming, so if there's something missing that you think should be in the OP, or if there's something there that isn't streaming, feel free to post in the forum or PM me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Check it again. :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeesh, I'm running so far behind. Time to play catch up tonight.

16th: Evil Dead 2

October 17th: Stitches

This movie is silly: a gypsy clown, who may or may not be part of a cult of clowns, slips and falls at a child's birthday and impales his head on a kitchen knife, dying, until many years later he returns as a legion of the undead to a birthday party to brutally murder the now-teenage kids that (accidentally) caused his death.

This movie doesn't sit well with me. It it's trying to be another U.K. horror comedy/send-up, but it's not as effective as its peers (Attack the Block, Shaun of the Dead, Grabbers). It's not a bad movie--the gore and special effects are very good, I liked a few of the one-dimensional characters--but it's not good. The movie doesn't take itself seriously (but who could), which works in its favor. The sense of humor wasn't lost on me, but it wasn't funny.

Here's an example of a joke I liked: our protagonist, who as a child was drenched in blood as he witnessed a clowns death, now on heavy psyche meds, isolated from his parents, sits in a tree-house which he is much too old for, to spy on a girl he has a crush on in university get undressed in her room. As he zooms in--closer, closer--the focus tube grows almost twelve inches before, ah, the drapes are drawn on the window. A simple phallic joke to a perverse scene of adolescent voyeurism. That, to me, was the most clever joke amidst many other phallic jokes: a mix of castration and inflatable balloons, obsession with fellatio, umbrellas penetrating bodies,...The second best joke was one of sound design: a cat is playing with the killer clown's red nose that has fallen on the ground, and the evil clown is going to stab it to death, but before the knife makes contact, we cut to teenagers running across a lawn, the grass under their feet crunching loudly. Oh, that's clever! But not funny.

The killer, Stitches, an undead Gypsy clown who's weakness seems to be an egg with a clown face painted on it that must be crushed/destroyed/cracked/penetrated (more sexual imagery?), is a Freddy Kruger wanna-be. You know the type: appears out of nowhere, throws around a few sarcastic insults to his victims, kills with a murder-weapon pun; and it doesn't work. He's not charming, memorable, and the guy behind the make-up, stand-up comedian Ross Noble, didn't live up to his reputation as Channel 4's 11th Greatest Stand-Up Comic of 2010 (I googled him).

The rest of the characters are the usual trope for a slasher film: late-20-somethings acting like teenagers with a penchant for beers, baked goods with marijuana, public make-outs, getting laid, awkwardly dancing to music from the 80's. My favorite character was an overweight effeminate homosexual, who loves planning parties and texting instead of playing basketball. The fact that he's blatantly gay is never brought up, but fat jokes get thrown quite often. He's a snarky arrogant poo poo-talker. Why is he my favorite? Because I can describe him with several adjectives and the actor actually had fun in the role.

In a movie where a killer clown stabs a girl with an umbrella and quips "Taking it from behind!", the actors have to have a sense of humor and have fun. I didn't feel it. The end credits are bloopers to show We had fun!, but alas, making funny faces to the camera, dropping props, and hitting a boom mic accidentally aren't fun, they're accidents or displays of boredom.

Maybe I'm jaded, or wasn't in the right state of mind to enjoy it (though I was stoned, so...), but I didn't really care for the movie. It's a shame, because I know they were trying to make a movie that fits my interests. The gore, however, really is a fantastic use of physical effects.

Edit: Now that I think about it, here's a bit about the movie's pre-credits twist (it's sorta spoilers, but it's not important):

Stitches is in an afterlife (limbo? clown hell? underground?) quivering while working on something (the macguffin, it isn't important). Then, an attractive normal girl (angel? afterlife whore? girlfriend? clown groupie?) is revealed to have been giving him a blowjob. She swallows, cleans her lip--Stitches places a hand on top of her hand and pushes her down for another blowjob. That's how they end the movie. What?

:spooky::spooky:/5 overall, the gore and special effects get :spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Tonight I'm watching classics, or something. I need something good, great, new, amongst these average offerings.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 23, 2014

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
17th: Stitches

18th: Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Meyers

If I didn't know Paul Rudd's career now, and saw this movie, I would have assumed he would never work again after seeing this. Dr. Loomis has become a caricature. Michael Meyers is now a man possessed by a demon worshiped by a Druid(?) cult. It's extremely gory, which is distracting compared to the almost-bloodless original. I actually like the idea of a serial killer in the vein of the big four (Freddie, Jason, Leatherface, Michael) as an unstoppable force of death being worshiped and manipulated by a cult for their own agenda. I however, do not like this in the context of Halloween, which started with suspense and subtlety.

2 :spooky:s out of 5 got tired of seeing baby dick

19th: Dracula (1934)

Another one of my favorites. It kind of fizzles out towards the end, but it's still a very good looking movie with a nice score. When I have kids, their first foray into horror will be Nosferatu and the original Universal Monsters.

4 :spooky:s out of 5 are afraid of rubber bats

20th: Night of the Creeps

This was another late-night IFC movie that I watched growing up. I wasn't sure what I was watching, or if it was all a fever dream: zombies, slugs, aliens, the 1950's and the 1980's meshing, it's goofy humor and odd sight gags. I love the guy that eats a sandwich in every shot he's in (especially hovering over a dead body).

4 :spooky:s out of 5 thrilled me

21st: Cabin Fever

The Netflix thread got derailed about this movie, and I never knew it was so polarizing. Everyone I know that's seen it at least likes it, a few love it. It's not really a go-to movie for me to watch, but I love watching it with someone who's never seen it. I found out my roommate had never seen it, so it was time to watch it. It's a very goofy movie, and I love the cast (Shawn Hunter? Sweet Lou?). The movie takes place in its own eccentric universe (Bugs Bunny? Slow-Mo Karate? Harmonica in the Throat?) and never takes itself too seriously. The set is interesting. Also, knowing that Eli Roth has actually had a flesh-eating virus adds a bit to the experience.

And Deputy Winston the Party Cop is one of my favorite characters in any movie.

3 :spooky:s out of 5 gotta stay and party, man.

22nd: The Awakening

A slow burn. Reminded me a lot of The Orphanage. I liked the twist, but it seemed like it belonged to a different movie. I enjoyed the atmosphere and I now have a crush on Rebecca Hall.

3 :spooky:s out of 5 showed up on camera

23rd: The Mansion of Madness

I was a little too stoned to really grasp this movie. I found this, and thought it was a Hammer film. It's weird, creepy, unsettling. I don't know if I'd watch it again.

2 :spooky:s out of 5 went insane

24th: Friday the 13th Part 4

If I have a friend that's never seen the Friday the 13th series, and wants to know what they're all about, this is my go-to. While Part 2 is probably my favorite, Part 4 has everything that made the original series special. 80's fashion, sex, nudity, drugs, alcohol, sophomoric sex jokes, Tom Savini violence, a large cast, twins(!), goofy outsider character (Crispin Glover!), pre-zombie Jason. It's such a fun movie.

3 :spooky:s out of 5 are dead fucks

25th: House (1977)

Wow.

4 :spooky:s out of 5 love Gorgeous

26th: Shadow of the Vampire

Watched this based on this thread. I remember seeing clips of this movie as a trailer for some VHS or DVDs, I'm not sure which. Very good movie. Willem Dafoe is becoming one of my favorite actors now that I'm branching out into his more extreme roles. Great cast: Malkovich Malkovich, Snape, the other Python member... Made me want to watch Nosferatu again.

4 :spooky:s out of 5 fingernails

27th: Black Sunday

Beautiful black and white movie. I'm not the biggest Mario Bava fan, but I think this is my favorite by him. Surprisingly gory, and very well shot. I've been in the mood for classics, especially black and white movies (I re-watched Eraserhead the other day just for this).

3 :spooky:s out of 5 believe in vampire witches

I'm almost caught up! Does anyone know any good classic horror movies anywhere from the 1950's to the end of the 1970's? I'd love to watch more Hammer Horror films, but I can't spend the money on them. I have Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and Netflix. I'd prefer anything from the Criterion Collection (I watch it on an Xbox 360, and some of the movies that should be on streaming--Flesh for Frankenstein, Blood for Dracula--don't show up), but I'll take anything interesting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
17th: Stitches
18th: Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Meyers
19th: Dracula (1934
20th: Night of the Creeps
21st: Cabin Fever
22nd: The Awakening
23rd: The Mansion of Madness
24th: Friday the 13th Part 4
25th: House (1977)
26th: Shadow of the Vampire
27th: Black Sunday

October 28th: SLiTHER

James Gunn is one of my favorite filmmakers right now, even though he has only directed 3 movies (officially). SLiTHER is where it all started for me. It really bothers me that this movie is such a hidden gem. It's frequently in the bargain bin at the movie stores, or comes in a multiple movie pack with some direct-to-DVD movies, which puts a lot of people off. It's such a great movie.

Alien slugs turn people into hive-mind zombies lead by an alien symbiote that has infected a man (named Grant Grant) bent on world destruction in a small town of rednecks. But the alien symbiote experiences something for the first time: love.

It's an over-the-top premise that works so drat well. James Gunn is a man always fighting for his movie. Much like Super, he had a small budget, a strict schedule, a risky movie, and a big idea. And he nails it. The cast is fantastic and work so well together. The special effects, mostly physical with digital enhancements, are great. The sense of humor is sick and goofy. It's just a blast, from beginning to end.

If you've never seen it, but you enjoy 1980's horror comedies, this is one of the best throwbacks out there. James Gunn knows how to make a fun movie with characters you love (and thank goodness he was able to land Guardians of the Galaxy, where he could finally play in a sandbox big enough for his ideas). And there's so many great quotes.

He's had several horror projects start and end since SLiTHER, which is a shame, but if he ever returns to the genre, I'll see it opening day.

(Also, you should get the DVD. The behind-the-scenes features and director's commentary are some of my favorites.)

October 29th: Tremors

Another horror/comedy monster feature, and another all-time favorite. Remember that game children play, The Floor Is Lava? Same concept, but instead of lava, there are monsters that will eat the gently caress out of you.

There are so many reasons to love this movie: the cast is perfect; the monsters are new, exciting, and creepy; the characters are memorable and likeable; the setting is perfect for the story; it's funny.

Tremors works because Perfection, Nevada (population 17) really is a dead-end one street town. It's isolated, open, surrounded by mountains. If a monster attack happened, you're most likely hosed. The town is full of eccentric characters with strong personalities. Even Nestor, a character that gets about 10 minutes of screen time, has enough qualities to define him.

This is what I like from horror movies. An interesting monster/killer (I wish we had more monster movies that were on a smaller scale, not giant monster attacks city); characters that I like and want to live (so it's actually horrifying when they die, not chainsaw fodder); physical effects that impress; a sense of humor thrown in there (not always necessary).

October 30th: The Rocky Horror Picture Show

What ever happened to Saturday Night, where you went to the movies and you felt alright?

Rocky Horror, as a concept, in insane: It's the story of Adam and Eve, lost in the woods, find sanctuary in a castle owned by a transvestite Doctor Frankenstein (the Serpent) who offers them the forbidden fruit of carnal desires and lust on the night of the creation of his ultimate sexual being.

It's easy to see why the movie has such a lasting impression. The story of Adam and Eve is familiar to everyone. Rocky Horror just dresses it up with the Sex, Drugs, Rock-N-Roll mentality of the late 70's and plays it with a love of B-Movies (especially Hammer Horror). Everyone involved knows exactly what they're involved with, especially Tim Curry, who was blessed with the talent to be a shining star even in the worst production (IT, anyone?). Everyone is having fun, hamming it up.

When I watch a musical, I want catchy songs that get stuck in my head. Rocky Horror delivers. This seems like common sense, but a lot of movies try to replicate what works here, and fail (Repo! The Genetic Opera is the best example of a musical that does everything well except for the music, which is abrasive, annoying, and forgettable).

The spectrum of fans is staggering. A Rocky Horror showing is an event. People obsess over their costumes, memorize a million lines, try to live the movie. To these people, Rocky Horror is a way of life. Going to a show is fun, but I only wade through the culture. Others dive right in. Then there's the odd fans who love the movie as if it's Citizen Kane, those who seem to miss the joke, take it too seriously. There's those that hate it, thinks it's banal trash, too weird, missing their mark. And then those that just don't get it, and never will.

The Rocky Horror Show is a movie you throw on to have fun, and it's a Halloween staple for a reason.

Let there be lips!

October 31st: Halloween (1978)

What is THE Halloween movie? When I was a child, Ernest Scared Stupid and Hocus Pocus. In recent years, I'd say Trick 'r Treat. The Rocky Horror Picture Show celebrates everything that makes Halloween fun, including dressing up. Everyone has their pick, one that means something to them, maybe for nostalgia, or for the energy the movies gives them, or for their love for the movie, or because it captures what the holiday means to them.

But where would we be without the movie who's namesake celebrates a time of the macabre, energy, fantasies, fear, indulgence, horror?

Halloween is a simple movie that seems to have happened in the right place at the right time. It's a common story in the production of horror movies: a small budget, a cast and crew of nobodies wanting to be somebodies, a project that could send them all into bankruptcy and an early grave. But an idea that sticks and a lot of hard work and love, and an intention to create a real sense of fear and dread help them overcome all obstacles.

Halloween is my favorite holiday. Halloween is my favorite scary movie. Halloween is one of my top-favorite movies. I've seen it a million times, and I'll keep watching it, even if it's the middle of the summer. (I would love to see a documentary as good as Never Sleep Again for the Halloween series.)

It's legacy is still in effect to this day, it still scares and influences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alright guys! This thread has run it's course. We had a great number of participants this year, and there were a lot of good movies watched and recommended. You guys really got into the spirit.

Thanks everyone for making this challenge work. I had a great Halloween, and I hope you guys did too. Scream Stream was a fun addition I wasn't expecting, and I'm glad they contributed to the mix with their sequels.

I don't know if there will be a 25 Christmas movie challenge, or if there's enough good movies out there with the bad. If anyone's interested in starting it, go for it. If there's enough people interested, I may be able to make the OP. We'll see.

Until next year, guys!

:spooky::ghost::spooky::ghost::spooky::ghost::spooky:

• Locked thread