Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I haven't had the free time to really try and do a bunch of movie watching this October, and also since I'm a horror fan anyway and I produce a horror review podcast I tend to watch them all year long, but I have watched a few this month:

-Grave Encounters 2
It's alright. I really enjoyed the original Grave Encounters despite it's flaws and was charmed by just how well it nailed it's parody of ghost hunting shows. The sequel is alright, and doesn't really hold up as well on a second watch, but still fairly enjoyable.

-Friday the 13th Part 3/4
Part 3 is frustrating because the 3D on the Blu-ray doesn't work that well (it's red/blue not properly converted) and so without it, everything is just waving at the screen with no effect, and Blu-ray is not kind to this film at all. Friday 4 on the other hand is awesome, and probably the best made of the Friday films. Jason is a bad rear end, Crispin Glover dances like a weirdo, the kills are all brutal and look amazing in HD and Joe Zito knows how to make a drat good slasher movie (see also The Prowler)

-Detention
You know what happens when you take Scream, Donnie Darko and 90's nostalgia and mix it all together? A loving mess. Detention wants to be witty and awesome, and it has moments where you think "That was clever" followed up by something so mind bogglingly stupid that the pendulum just swings back to the "gently caress this movie" side. It is twee as gently caress.

-Nightbreed: The Director's Cut
Not officially out until later this month, but I pre-ordered the limited edition Blu-ray as soon as I could ($79.99 price tag on that. My wallet is still screaming) and god drat is it totally worth it. I'm a huge Clive Barker fan, and Cabal (the novel Nightbreed is based on) was my introduction to his work. The theatrical cut of Nightbreed is ok, but it leaves a lot to be desired, as its a mess of half baked ideas and lost plot threads. The directors cut is a gorgeous restoration, taking elements that were found on VHS tapes and creating a cut of the film that was essentially lost for 20+ years. If you've seen Nightbreed, at least get the standard edition of the Director's Cut, it's a totally different film, and it feels more coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I didn't really try to hit the 31 movie goal this year (or any year really) because I've been busy trying to play through SH4 but I did watch stuff this month.

Previously mentioned:

-Grave Encounters 2
-Friday the 13th part 3
-Friday the 13th Part 4
-Detention
-Nightbreed: the Director's Cut

-Oculus
I don't know why I waited as long as I did to watch this because I really enjoyed the hell out of "Absentia" the directors previous film. Oculus does everything I loved about Absentia with more money and known actors. If you haven't seen it, get on it good performances all around and an interesting story that doesn't spoon feed you everything.

-The Houses October Built
OH GOD loving drat IT! You know how you read a review for something and the reviewer says "All the best parts are in the trailer" and you still watch it. Yeah, that's exactly what this movie is. A found footage film about a group of Assholes looking for "the most EXTREME haunt in AMERICA!" this is a tedious hour an a half non-scares and obvious set up's to the point where you know EXACTLY who the villains are because they have better make up than everyone else. God drat it.

-Halloween
Carpenter's classic. Looks amazing on Blu-ray.

-Halloween II
An enjoyable sequel that for me at least, effectively killed Michael Meyers to the point that the bullshit they pull in part 4 to bring him back makes me kinda hate it more than I probably should (4 I mean). More gore, more Michael, more straightforward slasher too.

-Annabelle
There are times when I truly wonder why I do this to myself. I knew going into this movie it was going to be bad, and if I had realized that Gone Girl was playing at the other theater near by, I would have gone to see that instead. But I didn't so it was either Dracula Untold, this or Ouija. Annabelle is waste of time in every way imaginable. Lazy story telling, bad logic even for a horror film, and still the single worst looking prop doll I've seen in years. Seriously, I hate that doll, it was dumb in The Conjuring, and it's just as bad, if not worse in this one. Also, the Devil shows up, and that's hilarious (except it's just a demon but whatever)

-Psycho
Lucky enough to see this on a big screen again, Hitchcock's classic is such a treat on a big screen.

-The Rage: Carrie 2
WOW this is one 90's rear end 90's movie. Do you remember the late 90's because this is a nostalgia bomb of a movie. The story isn't great, and it tries way, way too hard to make you give a poo poo that it's tied to the original Carrie, to the point where a plot point made me roll my eyes so hard I almost felt them fall out. Despite that, it's not awful. Dumb, yes. 90's as gently caress, oh yes (including a random Ska song!) entertaining, strangely yes. Also, it features a badass double death involving a dude's balls getting launched into a pool. It's worth it for that alone.

-See No Evil 2
Didn't finish it, so I'm only counting it as a half. I remember next to nothing about the original other than being slightly better than I expected. Part 2 is certainly gorier and has Katherine Isabelle in it, so that's a plus. Daniel Harris is in it too and she's starting to look her age, and that's sad. Of the half of the movie I've seen, I don't hate it and I like it better than American Mary

So I finished out October with 13 and a half films. Not bad considering I didn't expect to hit that many, and it was nice to catch some classics I hadn't seen before, and sit through a couple of modern shitshows.

Seriously don't watch Houses October Built or Annabelle they are both awful.

Edit: Katherine Isabelle from Ginger Snaps, not Katherine Elizabeth who may or may not be an actual person.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 2, 2014

• Locked thread