Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Ah, nice! I started the challenge over on my podcast's website this month, but I'm glad I found this thread! Love talking about this stuff!

So far, I'm 7 flicks (soon to be 8!)

Film #1 - Friday the 13th

Classic, of course! One of my all time faves.

Film #2 - Friday the 13th Pt. 2

Again, classic! The way it continues from the first blew my gourd when I was a kid.

Film #3 - Friday the 13th Pt. 3

Oof. this is full of 3D gimmics. The magic slipped some in this one.

Film #4 - Friday the 13th The Final Chapter

The start Tommy Jarvis! This one was a fun one, especially after 3.

Film #5 - Night of the Creeps

Again, classic! One of my faves. You've got aliens, parasites, zombies, blood, gore, co-eds and the best Tom Atkins performance ever. THRILL ME!

Film #6 - Shivers

Not Cronenburg's finest, but decent and weird little flick all the same.

Film #7 - Slither

This movie's still hilarious, even after watching several times. Great cast and effects.

I'm doing write ups of my challenge over at Bloody Good Horror if anybody's feeling froggy: http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/31-days-of-horror-day-1

Skywalker OG posted:

Edit: Oct 2: The Burning

Rather by-the-books Friday the 13th ripoff. Admittedly, I can't remember anything about any of the Fridays because it's been awhile. There are long stretches of guys being absolute pieces of poo poo to women in this film, but I enjoyed the poo poo out of this movie. Cropsy is generic as gently caress, but they do a great job of making him an unknowable maniac and the kill scenes are shot very competently. The movie never completely drags at any point. I'd recommend this to people who want a decent summer camp slasher and can withstand a rather distressing amount of misogyny. That being said, the movie never paints the guys as good people and it definitely knows what it is. I'd much rather watch this than most of the slasher sequels.

As an added bonus, smarmy young George Costanza with hair is in this movie.

The Burning is pretty great! Underrated for sure when people start talking about classic slashers! Costanza Hair is a site to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Speed Crazy posted:

I think I made a mistake by starting out with Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed because I'm not sure anything else I'm planning on watching is going to top Peter Cushing as Baron Frankenstein. He was STONE COLD. I'm used to more sympathetic portrayals of the Frankenstein, so seeing a performance that was so grim, merciless, egomaniacal, and so utterly devoid of any kind of humanity just blew me away. The sets were particularly good and had some very pretty lighting too. It was also cool to see Hammer branch out a little bit in terms and style by incorporating some pretty giallo-like shots in the opening (which was my favorite part of the movie).

Man, Peter Cushing's Frankenstein flicks are amongst my all time favorite horror flicks. Frankenstein Created Woman is solid too.

Watched some stuff on Friday:

Humanoid From the Deep - oh lord, this is dull. It felt like a hour before the monsters showed up, I was shocked to see it was only like 30 minutes!

Almost Human - - This...wasn't horrible. The acting's a bit wooden and the story is nothing new, but they did a pretty good job on practical effects for a low budget flick.

Phantoms - I thought maybe it'd look better with age but...no. It wasn't horrible, but wasn't very exciting either.

Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives - I hadn't meant to watch all the Friday's during this challenge, but I'm hooked. And I'm loving it! Jason Lives was the big tonal shift for the franchise. We're ramping up the camp and turning Jason into a supernatural creature. There's some goofy scenes here, but they're all pretty fun because of the camp. The franchise really stopped taking itself so seriously after this one! Loved it. Plus, Jason walks and poses. A LOT.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Up to 17 flicks for the month so far! http://letterboxd.com/cinemafromage/list/october-movies/

Yesterday was a mixed bag. Some great, some not so great.

Friday the 13th Pt VII
Friday the 13th Pt VIII

Been having fun going back through these, they're still fun. Starting to wear thin though, good thing I don't have many left!

Curtains

Good grief. It took me at least 4 tries to get through this flick. It's sloooooow. It has some amazingly awful over the top soap opera acting and dialog though.

Witchboard

Tawny Kitaen! Oh...Tawny Kitaen.

Horns

Horns has been one of my most anticipated flicks for this fall, and now they've released it early on On Demand! I LOVED this flick! I had it totally over hyped in my head, and it completely lived up to that hype. I thought Radcliff was excellent as Ig Parrish.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I'm now up 28 horror flicks for October! I know, it worries me too. Here's the list so far: http://letterboxd.com/cinemafromage/list/october-movies Hosting a couple different horror and movie podcasts gives me a good excuse though!

Today's viewing was the "Night of the Demons" trilogy. Which is cool cause up until recently, I didn't realize there were three of 'em! 2 and 3 don't hold up very well to the first, but they're in the same spirit AND they have the original Angela in all three, which is cool I suppose. If you want a uh...treat? Check this scene from Night of the Demons 3. It's out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKA990ecKDM

Watched Freddy Vs. Jason today too, which holds up really well. Forgot Katherine Isabelle was in it. Seemed like a good capstone for both flicks, especially since the remakes of both were not great.

Tonight, we're recording a podcast on Annabelle, which didn't impress me much. Pretty certain they showed all the scary stuff in the trailers, and it was pretty predictable. Ah well, can't win em all! It is sad though, cause I think that the James Wan camp has a lot of horror talent, but they keep doing the same stuff. (Annabelle wasn't directed by him, but it's directed by the DP for most of his flicks.) Insidious was great, but they've done that four times now. I'd like to see them tackle a new idea, they've got the talent for it!

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Choco1980 posted:

This has to be the work of legendary scribe Nigel Kneale, whom I've unfortunately not encountered anything else of yet, as director Peter Sadsy, while having a few Hammer flicks under his belt, is also a Razzie recipient. A Razzie. And yet, it's one of the best Ghost movies I've ever seen.

I was sold by your review, but these two are just the icing on the cake. Sadsy directed Countess Dracula and Taste the Blood of Dracula. Kneale wrote all of the Quatermass TV shows and hammer flicks as well as the Abominable Snow Man for Hammer! As a massive Hammer fan, The Stone Tapes is now on my must see list for this month.

• Locked thread