Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm down with this; first movie tonight when I'm off work is V/H/S 2 which I'm pretty sure is still sealed. I've seen the original, loved it, and heard this one is even more nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Officer Farva posted:

Since I've gotten so lazy over the years, and Netflix has actually been adding a lot of decent horror, I think I'm actually going to be able to fill my list entirely with movies I've never seen before. Today I started with Invaders from Mars, the Tope Hooper remake. Tomorrow? Who knows.

I plan on doing this as well; part of the problem I had with past years was simply finding a horror film to watch got to be a bit of a task in and of itself. Now, I'm probably going to browse Netflix for most of my horror watches.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Alright, got Movie 1 out of the way, here's the mini-review

Movie #1 - Oct. 1 - V/H/S 2

Found footage movies are kind of a like or hate subgenre of horror online. Some people hate them because they are often too choreographed to believable (a valid complaint) and others like them because they get you deep into the protagonist's perspective when done right. The first V/H/S film tried very hard to get into the latter by having very raw video and low-budget horror to bring the audience in. It was a mixed bag but overall the anthology format linked by a main storyline worked well enough.

The sequel repeats the structure of the previous film by having a couple protagonists, who record videos for personal gain (profit in this one, deviant behavior in the original), get hired by someone to go into a house. This time, instead of retrieving a tape they are asked to find a student who went missing so they head to his dorm. Without spoiling anything but it's obvious they find a bunch of VHS tapes they start watching.

The first one is about a man who gets a literal eye-camera installed into his eye socket and sees supernatural figures, this one is alright. The second is the best in the entire series, I thought, and shows a cyclist who gets attacked by zombies in a park and we see the resulting carnage with his GoPro. I would seriously pay full price for a zombie film done from this perspective, drat. The third is honestly loving NUTS and depicts a camera crew documenting an Indonesian cult and needs to be seen to be believed. The fourth and final is a pretty lame story about aliens abducting a bunch of teenagers, meh.

Overall, I liked it, it's a good mix of scares with one short film being the biggest highlight and worth watching the entire film for it.

:spooky::spooky:.5/4

Going to be checking what Netflix has recommended for me next for tonight.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think that's a major factor in what makes Poltergeist so good. Nobody expects it to go as far as it does because it presents itself as a family movie, which I suppose it still is. But it does get, as you say, fairly hardcore by the end.

It was also made before the PG-13 rating came about which makes its PG rating very deceiving especially today. It's a pretty drat intense ghost/haunted house kind of movie and I recommend it to everyone. It's not on the list this year for me because I've seen it already, though.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 2, 2014

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
A short and quick one

October 2, 2014 - Film #2 - The Exorcist (1973)

I decided to watch this one because it's the freaking Exorcist and I realized the other day I've never seen it. All I have to say is it holds up really well, has some great performances and is creepy as all gently caress.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/4

In summary,

quote:

1. V/H/S/2 (2013)
2. The Exorcist (1973)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Alright, so far

1) V/H/S/2 (2013)
2) The Exorcist (1973)

And now,

3) You're Next (2011) - Eh, slashers like these are the reason why The Cabin in the Woods was made. It tried to do something new, didn't work for me in terms of the twists, and just felt hollow :spooky:.5/4

4) Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) - This movie sucked and this comes from someone who actually defends the 2006 Silent Hill film from time to time (it had a good setting, mood and had its moments even if the story was kinda crummy). Imagine if the imagery or mood of the 06 film was ruined by a total lack of tension and lovely 3D gimmickry (it felt like Friday Part 3 at times in how obvious it was) and still had the mediocre story of the 06 film. 0.5:spooky:/4

Let's see if Netflix has anything better for me tonight.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
So far,

1) V/H/S/2 (2013)
2) The Exorcist (1973)
3) You're Next (2011)
4) Silent Hill: Revelation (2012)

And now

October 5 - Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988) - I saw the original the other summer and realized a few days ago I never saw the sequels. Probably going to check out Part 3 at some point because after that it looks too lovely to waste on them. This film takes out the pitch-black humor of the original and cuts away from some of the more gory moments to appeal to the underage crowd (also, a kid protagonist who isn't too bad to be honest). It's worth a watch but a definite downgrade from the original

:spooky::spooky:/4

October 6 - The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009)

Imagine a John K cartoon if the man was hopped-up on meth. That's the best way I can describe this one and the shock of seeing cartoon bewbs goes away very fast. Also, we get it, Rob Zombie: you have a hot wife, we don't care anymore. I appreciate the style and the world is nice enough but holy drat does this movie not let up. I wasn't too sure if this counted but it's Rob Zombie and has a bunch of horror/monster supporting characters so I let it slide.

:spooky:/4

October 7 - Troll Hunter (2010)

Another found footage movie and one I heard a good deal about. First thing I want to mention is Norway is loving beautiful and it felt like a travel commercial at times, really want to go one day. The film is obviously a modern-take on the folklore of trolls about how the government basically regulates and controls them by hiring hunters to track, contain and destroy them. A troll hunter is followed by a film crew who stumble upon his actions thinking he is an unlicensed bear hunter. Many hijinx ensue as we find out more and more about the troll situation in Norway. As far as found footage movies go, this one isn't necessarily scary but instead an interesting modern hard fantasy take on trolls.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/4

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

weekly font posted:

There's one AYAotD? episode about a ghost who writes poo poo all over the walls. That one terrified the hell out of baby me.

My favorite episode was the one where a school's pool was built over a graveyard and one of the spirits haunts the pool and pulls people under when they go for a swim. Then the two protagonists put some chemical or something into the pool and out comes this rotting, zombie-like creature that was way too intense for a kid's show.

I remember way too much about this show. YTV in Canada used to have a late-night block the Friday (or Saturday) before Halloween called "Dark Night" that ran from 1993-97 where new ATAOTD episodes (like the one I mentioned) would debut as well as new kid's horror shows.

• Locked thread