Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Oh poo poo, I didn't see that there was a thread for this, I've been doing it too.

Oct 1. Mama
Very creative ghost story with an interesting creature design and stirring emotional story. I adored this movie.

Oct 2. Goke: Body Snatcher From Hell
A trippy Japanese thriller about the survivors of a plane crash with a dizzying array of hidden agendas and interpersonal dramas, trying to work together to fight off an invasion of alien goo that turns people into vampires. This movie is what happens when Night of the Living Dead takes LSD. Very crazy stuff, lots of fun.

Oct. 3. Dead And Buried.
Pretty plodding and by the numbers until the last half hour when it suddenly decides to become a much more interesting and dynamic movie. Lots of fun Stan Winston effects, and some not so fun not Stan Winston effects. Jack Albertson steals the show playing a crotchety mortician who is obviously the guy reanimating the dead from minute one.

Oct. 4 Satan's Princess
I had never heard of this movie, and now I understand why. The less said about it, the better.

And tonight: FROM BEYOND.
I will report back with my findings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
1. Mama
2. Goke: Body Snatcher from Hell
3. Dead and Buried
4. Satan's Princess

5. From Beyond.
I kind of enjoyed From Beyond, the effects were great and so were the performances (I had no idea that Ken Foree was in this movie, which was a pleasant surprise). I could have done without the crass sexual stuff though.

6. Night of the Creeps.
I really enjoyed this. Tons of fun effects, likable characters, and a really stylish quality that it's hard to put my finger on.

I'm considering watching The Black Cat tonight as well, but maybe I ought to pace myself.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

It's miller time. :c00lbert:

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

I preferred the American version of the Ring as well, though to be fair I haven't watched either since high school (and the remake scared the bejesus out of me at that time.)

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

1. Mama
3. Dead and Buried
4. Satan's Princess
5. From Beyond.
5.b) The Monster Squad
6. Night of the Creeps.

Last night was The Haunting, which I enjoyed quite a bit. I particularly enjoyed that you never see the ghost, you just hear otherworldly noises and all the spooky is stuff is left to your imagination. Also, is it just me or was the character Theodora pretty obviously gay? It felt like they kept dropping little hints, which is pretty progressive for 1963. Although on the other hand Nell does call her a "freak of nature" at one point, but it's implied that she is being controlled by the house at that point. I'd definitely recommend it, I found it pretty effecting especially considering it's age.

I also re-watched A Nightmare on Elm Street, which I hadn't seen in years. Not quite as scary as I remember it being, but I'll always have a deep abiding affection for the Nightmare movies. I intend to watch all of them (minus the remake, and New Nightmare which I've watched too many times already) this month in addition to the 31 other movies I'll be watching, but we'll see how strong my resolve proves.

Not sure what I'm going to watch tonight.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Tonight I watched Deep Red.

There were some flashes of genius in this movie, but overall I'm not sure I liked it at all. The pacing was atrocious, and the rad Goblin soundtrack did not suit the movie whatsoever (the main theme not withstanding, that was perfect). There were some cool creepy visuals but no real substance. I don't think it really clicked for me the way it's supposed to. People tell me this is better than Suspiria, but I just don't see why. Very disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

1. Mama
3. Dead and Buried
4. Satan's Princess
5. From Beyond
5.b) The Monster Squad
6. Night of the Creeps
6.b) The Black Cat (1934)
7. The Haunting (1963)
7.b) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
8. Deep Red

Tonight was The Curse of Frankenstein.

I quite enjoyed it, which surprised me. I knew I should watch at least one hammer film this month, but a few years ago I watched all of the hammer Draculas and I didn't find them particularly interesting. Cushing makes a way more compelling [strike]Dr.[/strike] Baron Frankenstein than he does a Van Helsing. His cool intensity makes for a solid performance, and the rest of the movie is very atmospheric and good fun.

Edit: had the order mixed up.

Pigbog fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 10, 2014

• Locked thread