Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey I'm going to do a horror movie stream this month, is it appropriate to post it in here? I'm going to show at least 24 films. I don't think it's worth making its own thread but it seems like it fits this one? Idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:ghost: Ooooo! :ghost: I'm hosting a horror stream for October! Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, until the end of the month, we'll be watching two horror films per night! This year's theme is sequels. It starts Friday October 3rd, at 8:30 PM Eastern, and it's hosted at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2! The featured films on this inaugural night will be:

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Meyers

and

Return of the Living Dead: Part II

But there's more... there'll be extra spooky stuff playing after the films. And there's going to be a raffle... a raffle for...

Tune in for the details!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

:ghost: Ooooo! :ghost: I'm hosting a horror stream for October! Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, until the end of the month, we'll be watching two horror films per night! This year's theme is sequels. It starts Friday October 3rd, at 8:30 PM Eastern, and it's hosted at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2! The featured films on this inaugural night will be:

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Meyers

and

Return of the Living Dead: Part II

But there's more... there'll be extra spooky stuff playing after the films. And there's going to be a raffle... a raffle for...

Tune in for the details!

We're live in 20 minutes! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tonight's features are:

Critters 2: The Main Course

and

From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money

Tune in at 8:30 Eastern tonight, and find out who won the Pizza Raffle! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

drowningidiot posted:

I haven't seen this in 20 years but I remember loving it when I was a kid. "Get that dang screwdriver out of muh head!"

It holds up, despite some terrible performances by some of the teens. Sorry you missed it.

E: Stream is starting in 24 minutes btw http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 5, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Duel, I've been meaning to watch this movie for a long time, and I finally got around to watching it. I enjoyed it a lot. The comparisons to jaws are accurate. My only complaint is that the inner monologues, seem sort of unnecessary.

I'd have never thought to classify Duel as a horror movie, but I guess it's not inaccurate, structure-wise. It's certainly a thriller!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tonight's features are:

An American Werewolf in Paris

and

Maniac Cop 2

Tune in at 8:30 Eastern! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Tonight's features are:

An American Werewolf in Paris

and

Maniac Cop 2

Tune in at 8:30 Eastern! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2

Live in 10!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

#5 Maniac Cop II (1990)

Robert Z'Dar returns as a sorta zombified evil cop, out to get revenge on those that wronged him, both in the system and out. His morals are getting more confused as he befriends a local serial killer and they go on a rampage together.

Despite the lean plot, this movie was all kinds of fun, placing it squarely in the realm of late 80's slashers. The film somehow improves on the lunacy of the first film, and has a plot where there seems to be zero thinking actually going on. The New York grime that both Larry Cohen and Bill Lustig bring to the table is definitely here, though in lesser amounts than their past bodies of work. It was a perfect palate cleanser for me. Thanks to Lurdiak for his stream last night aiding me in my attempt to meet the challenge!

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Dr.Caligari posted:

I joined the fella's to watch this last night, and holy smokes is it bad. If you are, for some reason, nostalgic for the 90s, then this should fit the bill. An overload of 90s fashion, schtick and CGI , all wrapped up in a package with a plot and characters you won't care about. The goon chat made it fun however and I'm looking forward to joining the 'scream stream' again.

I'm glad you both had fun! I'm already making preparations for next friday's stream. You're both welcome to join again.

And yes, American Werewolf in Paris was nearly unwatchable. I don't screen these films ahead of time, so sometimes you get "pleasant" surprises like this.

Franchescanado posted:

I do have a sperg moment about FvJ, though. They make a big deal about Jason being afraid of water, it's his weakness. However, I believe there are several deaths throughout the Friday series that involves Jason swimming and killing someone in the water.

It's a contrived psychological weakness they invented for the film, but it actually makes perfect sense, and I'd have liked to see future films use it. Of course they went and rebooted the Friday series with that flop turd remake in 2009, so never mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I like both versions of Nosferatu, but I think it's better to watch the silent version before the updated one just for the context.

Why not go for a hat trick and watch Shadow of the Vampire afterwards? If nothing else, you get to see John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe chew scenery at each other.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought The Ring was a really bad nonsense movie when I first watched it and that opinion has not changed on repeated viewings.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I'm looking for alternate places to stream Scream Stream this weekend. Do you guys think it's better to have a big dumb watermark in the bottom right of the broadcast and no real chat option to speak of, or to risk getting shut down for violating Twitch's obnoxious "only video games!!!" policy?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I loved Are You Afraid Of The Dark? and Eerie Indiana as a kid. The original Eerie, mind you, not the terrible relaunch.

To anyone who cares, I've sorted out my streaming issues, so if you tuned in last week and were put off by audio issues, those'll be 100% sorted for the next showing. And I managed to fix it without leaving Ustream!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

Good deal. Livestream would be worth looking at, but yeah they are really tough on copyrighted material. Any idea of what the features will be yet?

I don't want to give too much away, but we're going to watch an entry in the Friday the 13th series, and an old classic!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Tomorrow I think I'm going to watch Friday the Thirteenth Part VII.

I think I know a place where you can watch it with friends. ;)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NOW WITH IMPROVED SOUND

Tune in here at 8:30 Eastern! Tonight's features are:

Friday the 13th part VII: The New Blood

and...

Bride of Frankenstein

And you'll also have a chance to win....

Be there! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

NOW WITH IMPROVED SOUND

Tune in here at 8:30 Eastern! Tonight's features are:

Friday the 13th part VII: The New Blood

and...

Bride of Frankenstein

And you'll also have a chance to win....

Be there! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2

Live in 25!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's worth noting that the main kid in Clownhouse was raped by the director during filming.

Welp, now I can't watch it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is that serious or are you just being Lurdiak?

I don't know what being Lurdiak means, but I'm serious. It would be really weird to watch the movie knowing that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tonight at 8:30 Eastern, the evil of the Scream Stream returns! Tonight's features are:

Child's Play 2

and...

Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed

Join us to see these frightmares and more! And find out who won the Pizza Raffle! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2

Franchescanado posted:

October 9th: A Nightmare on Elm Street

My room mate wanted to watch some of the series after we got through a lot of the documentary. He really wants to watch Dream Warriors, but I don't own it and it isn't on streaming.

I can guarantee that Dream Warriors will make an appearance on the Scream Stream before the month is over.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You're sometimes kinda snarky towards people you disagree with, and between that and the fact that I've been having a really lovely night, I interpreted what you said as being sarcastically dismissive of my point. Sorry for not assuming good faith on your part, I should really ease up.

No harm done. You're welcome to join the stream to help take your mind off your crappy night. :ghost:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 11, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franco Potente posted:

Just wanted to pipe in to say that, while I won't be around to join the stream, I definitely dig the movie choice here. I love the original, and think that this sequel is terminally underrated (or at least, I thought so the last time I saw it, eight years ago).

The original was a pleasant surprise back when I was raiding the horror shelf of my local video rental place. It's a genuine modern classic, in my mind. I heard good things about this sequel, so I'm excited.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

So is the stream exclusively sequels or what

e; that is perfectly ok, btw

That's this year's theme, yeah. Last year was "accessible horror", so it was mostly family friendly stuff. Themes are fun!

Live in 20 btw!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The last Scream Stream of the week-end begins here at 8:30 Eastern! Don't miss it! Tonight's features are:

Puppet Master 3: Toulon's Revenge

and...

Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 (unrated)

Tune in for these spooky features and more! Mwahahahaha! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scream-stream-part-2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's really mean to put Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead on the same level.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Movie 16: Sleepaway Camp
This is a fairly straightforward slasher that is largely dependent on its shocking ending. There's really nothing to separate it from other slashers until those final shots. The kills aren't remarkable and it's very obvious who the killer is. It's what the killer is that makes this one stand out. This film is pretty by the numbers and doesn't have a lot of rematch value, but I would recommend it if you haven't seen it before and haven't had the ending spoiled in advance.

The movie's also noteworthy for being the main inspiration for this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWME4d1BRCk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The third weekend of the Scream Stream kicks off at 8:30 PM Eastern! Tonight's features are....

Dracula 1972 AD

and...

Phantasm II

Tonight's also your chance to try and win...

Don't miss it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

aw damnit, now I'm going to be pouty because I'm going to miss the stream. Oh well, at least the gf has requested Hammer (which me and a mutual friend introduced her to not too long ago) in helping with my challenge tonight. We're going to be watching The Mummy!

You can still enter the raffle. :^)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The third weekend of the Scream Stream kicks off at 8:30 PM Eastern! Tonight's features are....

Dracula 1972 AD

and...

Phantasm II

Tonight's also your chance to try and win...

Don't miss it!

Live in 25!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Scream Stream marches on like a horrible undead fiend! Be there at 8:30 PM Eastern to experience a real frightmare! Tonight's features are:

Fright Night Part 2

and...

The Howling V: The Rebirth

Tune in for all this and more! We'll also find out who won the Pizza raffle!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The Scream Stream marches on like a horrible undead fiend! Be there at 8:30 PM Eastern to experience a real frightmare! Tonight's features are:

Fright Night Part 2

and...

Tune in for all this and more! We'll also find out who won the Pizza raffle!

Live in 15!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Only after the stream was over did I remember that I fast forwarded through large chunks of this movie when I originally rented it. It's got a pretty striking opening scene, but quickly moves on to very boring dialogue delivered by mostly awful actors. The characters have so little personality that they'll explicitly tell another character what their goal and personality traits are, but you'll still not remember it by the next scene. Same goes with the plot, as large portions of it are info dumped several times, but with such dry, unenthused dialogue that you'll still find yourself confused later on.

The movie does itself a rather big disservice by letting you think that the cast of tourist nobodies are being picked off by a werewolf that inhabits the spooky castle the movie takes place in (the location is genuinely great and one of the few redeeming qualities this movie has). Only in the third act is it revealed that the werewolf is one of the people that came here, and that the gathering is a ploy to draw them out, at which point the movie becomes a werewolf themed murder mystery meets The Thing, which greatly improves the experience. The entire movie should really have had this premise, since it finally gives the characters some interesting motivations. It also helps that the most awful actors are all dead by that point, leaving the only people capable of delivering their lines with some emotion to carry the final scenes. Unfortunately, that comes far too late to save the experience.

Outside of the plot, the movie's biggest problem is that you barely see the werewolf, which is usually the draw of this series. It's obscured in shadow for all of its early kills, and even when the movie tells you who the werewolf was, they never have the expected full-view transformation and final confrontation. The film just ends a moment after a character essentially turns to the camera and winks to let you know they're the Warwilf. No glorious shot of a big dump puppet in this Howling. :(

Despite being very very slow in the first act and severely lacking in the acting department, the stupidity of it all, the interesting location, the raised stakes of the third act, and the surprisingly good soundtrack kept this from a total waste of my time. And at least this movie doesn't think it's clever, unlike American Werewolf in Paris. Watch with friends who enjoy shlock.

:spooky::spooky:/5

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Night 3 of this week's Scream Stream begins at 8:30 Eastern. Don't you DARE miss it! Tonight's features are...

Dawn of the Dead

and...

Xtro 2: The second encounter

All this terror and more await you... if you have the courage!

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

This is basically the plot of The Beast Must Die (1974) if you are interested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=klfE_nescX0

I'll have to check that out sometime!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Night 3 of this week's Scream Stream begins at 8:30 Eastern. Don't you DARE miss it! Tonight's features are...

Dawn of the Dead

and...

Xtro 2: The second encounter

All this terror and more await you... if you have the courage!

Live in 20!

Hell yeah it does!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Xtro 2 is terrible, and I have to stay here to man the stream. I can't escape! How can this be the same director? It's got no relation to the original!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

When I saw there was a sequel I was pretty shocked.

There's two of them, and they're apparently both completely unimaginative ripoffs of better films. It's pretty shocking considering how out-there and visually interesting the original is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think you may have missed some of the subtext of Dawn of the Dead if that's all you have to say about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Of course I didn't miss all the consumerism stuff(this was far from my first viewing after all), but I'm watching the stone-cold classics so I figured those kind of comments are redundant. I thought the few criticisms I do have would be more interesting.

Its hard not to notice when a guy is in a full-on apocalypse situation, but he runs around a department store like a giddy schoolgirl just because finally he can take whatever he wants. Its barely subtext.

I thought that stuff was so omnipresent and well-executed that it really overtook the film's theme of "being a zombie movie". I had a friend in the stream who's seen it a bunch of times and had all these interesting observations about it. Shopping malls were a recent thing back when this was filmed, and it's really clear that the movie goes out of its way to present them as grotesque entities.

There's so many little things, like when Roger's being wheeled around like a baby in a carriage, making the group look like a nuclear family, or when Peter gives up that gun he liked so much right before escaping the death trap the mall has become.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I like that Dawn of the Dead has no clearly denied villain.

I like that the main characters aren't really good or bad. They're selfishly trying to survive the situation, something Peter points out early on. Roger becomes pretty unlikeable by the time he dies, but he starts out as a very humane officer in a bad situation.

I also really like that unlike almost EVERY zombie movie made after it, the film shows some the slow breakdown of society as the outbreak occurs. It's not suddenly poo poo city like in Night, nor is there a lazy 28 days later/Walking Dead time skip. Nobody shows that stuff because it's really hard to do right, but to me it's a lot more interesting than the part where everyone's used to the new status quo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's amazing how Hammer uses the atmosphere and tropes of classical cinema to hide their low budgets so drat well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 Eastern. Tonight's features are:

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

and...

Damien: Omen 2

This is also your chance to win

Be there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 Eastern. Tonight's features are:

The Exorcist III

and...

Lost Boys : The Tribe

If you plan on tuning in, I strongly recommend you send your address, your ustream chat username, your prefered pizza toppings, and the website of a pizza place near you that allows for online orders to JigsawJonahJameson@gmail.com before 8 PM eastern. There's been a drastic change to the situation involving...

Be there!

• Locked thread