Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The MLB postseason: very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

N: Mike Matheny is apparently giving strong consideration to starting Pete Kozma over Kolten Wong at 2B for Game 1 vs. Kershaw. He is doing this I guess because of the platoon matchup and the fact that Kozma is like 3 for 5 career off Kershaw with some doubles. Doing so would ignore the much larger Pete Kozma sample size in which he hits like Pete Kozma

V: Mike Matheny is a very dumb man

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

FairGame posted:

N: Mike Matheny is apparently giving strong consideration to starting Pete Kozma over Kolten Wong at 2B for Game 1 vs. Kershaw. He is doing this I guess because of the platoon matchup and the fact that Kozma is like 3 for 5 career off Kershaw with some doubles. Doing so would ignore the much larger Pete Kozma sample size in which he hits like Pete Kozma

I was basically stunned that we won Sunday on Kozma getting on base, and then Kozma scoring. It made my head hurt, and it made me fear something like this happening.

I was thinking about it this morning and in a non-defeatist way I have zero hopes for this post season. I mean, the Cards are notorious for pulling wins out of their asses in the playoffs, but I look down the roster this year, and look at this year's offense and I just do not see the clutch hits coming from anywhere. It's pretty much the same story as last year: if we can hit Kershaw, we can win. I just don't know that I see us doing that.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

N: lets go the bucs bitch

V: :pirate:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Death to the Angels and the Cardinals. Everyone else is cool.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Is the Wild Card game roster the same as the postseason roster?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is the Wild Card game roster the same as the postseason roster?

You can change rosters after each round. The play-in is a round.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
As much as small market may equal awesome and all that, I must admit it'd be pretty cool to have the World Series hinge on a plate appearance between Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout.

That said, if you aren't rooting for a Pirates/Royals WS then you hate fun or are tarlibone.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Go Cardinals

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

FairGame posted:

You can change rosters after each round. The play-in is a round.

This is why the Royals were able to use so many pinch runners/hitters. No need to carry all your starting pitchers!

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

do not speak ill of pete kozma itt, please and thank you.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

FairGame posted:

God dammit, he's never going to forgive Wong getting picked off, is he?

Scob posted:

do not speak ill of pete kozma itt, please and thank you.

Pete Kozma is a cool dude who is infinitely preferable to Mark Ellis. Kolten Wong should probably start at second base.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 1, 2014

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

A Dodgers Giants series would likely cause bloody carnage in the parking lots, surrounding streets and likely the stands with collateral damage to innocent bystanders wearing the wrong colors but I concur it would be interesting baseball.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I would love an O's / Nats or O's / Pirates WS. Either way gently caress the Tigers. And the Cardinals. And the Angels. Everyone else you're cool I guess.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

the popes toes posted:

A Dodgers Giants series would likely cause bloody carnage in the parking lots, surrounding streets and likely the stands with collateral damage to innocent bystanders wearing the wrong colors

And that's just the destruction their respective police departments would cause!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MLB is testing out some rules to speed up the game.

Deadspin posted:

The committee, which was formed earlier this month and consists of MLB, MLBPA, and team executives, made recommendations that will be tried during the Arizona Fall League, which runs from Oct. 7 through Nov. 15. They range from the no-brainer to the radical:
  • Hitters must keep at least one foot inside the batter's box at all times, barring exceptions like foul balls, wild pitches, or if the umpire grants him time out.
  • Pitchers must throw a pitch within 20 seconds of receiving the ball. Clocks posted in each dugout will count down the 20 seconds.
  • There will be a maximum break between innings of 2:05, with a clock keeping track. Hitters must be in the batter's box by 1:45. If the hitter's not ready, the umpire can call a strike. If the pitcher doesn't throw a pitch by 2:05, the umpire can call a ball.
  • Teams will have a maximum of 2:30 to change pitchers, with the clock starting as soon as the reliever enters the playing field.
  • Teams are limited to a maximum of three mound visits per game, not including pitching changes. This applies to trips to the mound by managers, coaches, and catchers.
  • Pitchers no longer have to deliver four balls for an intentional walk. The manager can simply signal to the umpire.
I've always been in favor of changing the intentional walk.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Alan Trammell posted:

This is why the Royals were able to use so many pinch runners/hitters. No need to carry all your starting pitchers!
Except Yordano Ventura, never know when you'll need him in a big spot!

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Harlock posted:

Yeah but that rare moment where the pitcher accidentally lobs a meatball close enough for the batter to murder is fun.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Harlock posted:

Pitchers no longer have to deliver four balls for an intentional walk. The IW request will be indicated by the pitcher removing his cap, inverting it, and pointing it at 1st base.

I can live with that

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Harlock posted:

MLB is testing out some rules to speed up the game.

Disagree on the IBB. Detroit scored a run not long ago due to a pitcher throwing intentional ball 2 to the backstop.

IBBs aren't all that common and add little to the actual length of the game. The chance of stuff going wrong is high enough to merit its continuance.

Glad to see they're trying to act on this overall, though. My main complaint about adding official reviews to the game last spring was that it would add additional delay to an already slow game, making it harder to watch. That seems to have been the actual case and its good they're acting to try and speed things up.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm sure someone stole a base on an IBB not too long ago too, Harper maybe?

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Dr. Tommy John posted:

That said, if you aren't rooting for a Pirates/Royals WS then you hate fun or are tarlibone.

Then one of these long-suffering teams would have to lose.
I would much rather see a massive underdog demolish a perennial favorite.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Posnanski has quite a gem about the Royals over here:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/01/the-beauty-of-belief/

JoePos posted:

They have a manager who will occasionally just leave the planet.

and

JoePos posted:

Watching their effort to score runs is somewhat like watching a documentary of an Oklahoma family trying to survive the Dust Bowl.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I can get behind most those rules, but I am real opposed to the mound visit one. They should really exclude catchers from that. I mean, catcher visits take no time at all, and limiting a catchers ability to run out to the mound real quick to calm nerves or change signs is a bad idea I think.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

ghlbtsk posted:

Then one of these long-suffering teams would have to lose.
I would much rather see a massive underdog demolish a perennial favorite.

I want the buccos to crush the cards in the NLCS but I'm so afraid of that matchup

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Actually, I don't have a problem with Pirates vs. Royals. I highly doubt the Cardinals are going to win the series with the Dodgers, because while both teams have great pitching, only one of them seems capable of hitting consistently. And if it can't be the Cardinals who win the pennant, then I prefer the Pirates to take the NL.

And I want KC to get into the World Series either way. If someone is dying for a massive underdog beating a huge favorite, KC eliminating Los Anaheim should suffice. If it doesn't, then KC taking out Baltimore as an encore should do the trick.

(Then the Pirates win in 7... and with a negative run differential for people to bitch about.)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I ain't even mad at Matheny, of course he's going to play Pete Kozma. He shouldn't even be given the option. Keep Pete Kozma far from the playoff roster. Or any roster.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

In order of preference:
  • Dodgers
  • Everyone else but the Cardinals

• The fuckin' Cardinals

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Angels > Pirates > Dodgers > Nats > O's > Tigers > Giants > Royals/Cardinals because i am a joyless husk

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Never thought that I'd see someone root for the Dodgers and not hate the Giants the most

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Pirates > Royals > Orioles > Giants > gently caress everything > Nats

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ok I'll join.

Os > Nats > Pirates > Royals > * > Cardinals

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pirates vs Royals or bust

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm all for anything that speeds up the game but IBB don't take very long and they gently caress up the pitcher's concentration, so I think it should be left as is. It's hilarious to see a pitcher throw it to the backstop, or be unable to find the strike zone after lobbing poo poo into the catcher.

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm sure someone stole a base on an IBB not too long ago too, Harper maybe?

Dee Gordon stole it off the Royals in Spring Training. It was awesome.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Royals > Pirates > Os > Nats > Tigers > Giants > Dodgers > Cardinals. The objectively correct order.

e: Angels don't even exist :colbert:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Nats> Pirates > Royals > Dodgers > Angels > Giants > heat death of the universe > Orioles > Cardinals

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rand alPaul posted:

Dee Gordon stole it off the Royals in Spring Training. It was awesome.

Why in the world would you intentionally walk someone in spring training?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

purkey posted:

Never thought that I'd see someone root for the Dodgers and not hate the Giants the most

Ya that's weird. For my part it's Giants>whatever>Angels>Cards>Dodgers

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grittybeard posted:

Why in the world would you intentionally walk someone in spring training?

Actually it might have just been a regular ball four.

Edit: Yup it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

toadee posted:

Royals > Pirates > Os > Nats > Tigers > Giants > Dodgers > Cardinals. The objectively correct order.

e: Angels don't even exist :colbert:

I agree with this. Especially about the Angels.

• Locked thread