Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Just finished it. I liked it. I feel like some of the earlier chapters were unimportant. Book 1 and 2 were great. I hardly remember books 3 and 4. Five was a solid ending. I really want to know whats going on with LJH.

My best guess is funcom is going to say thanks for working on our IP, we will take it from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Finished the original Dreamfall again the other day. It... wasn't as bad as I remembered. After playing Witcher 3 and other modern games it was pretty jarring at first to revisit the stiff animations and emotionless faces but I got used to after a while. Some of the writing is really good (Kian and April meeting for the first time). They even used music to enhance a couple of scenes, something games still haven't figures out really. Sadly, they pretty much botched the scene where April dies (I guess?). There were more combat and stealth sections than I remember and they were worse, too.

All in all, I guess low expectations can do wonders for a game. Onwards to Chapters!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Finished the original Dreamfall again the other day. It... wasn't as bad as I remembered. After playing Witcher 3 and other modern games it was pretty jarring at first to revisit the stiff animations and emotionless faces but I got used to after a while. Some of the writing is really good (Kian and April meeting for the first time). They even used music to enhance a couple of scenes, something games still haven't figures out really. Sadly, they pretty much botched the scene where April dies (I guess?). There were more combat and stealth sections than I remember and they were worse, too.

All in all, I guess low expectations can do wonders for a game. Onwards to Chapters!

I recently played for the first time, just after playing the Longest Journey for the first time, and despite the graphical advances and a few good scenes, Dreamfall suffers in the comparison. April is just such a good protagonist.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, Zoë comes of as a bit :geno: and whiny in comparison. "Sigh, I just wish I could some direction in life" *Travels to other side of the world to infiltrate evil megacorporation in order to save the world*

And then you save the world! Except you don't, everything is still hosed up, welp.

But I guess that is also in line with the more downbeat themes of the game, about struggling to find faith and meaning and whatnot.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
April is super angsty by the end of TLJ. She's just so incredibly burnt out when she resurfaces in Dreamfall that the angst doesn't shine through.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I liked April as a cynical, angsty, burnt out husk of a person. After getting the Guardian stuff ripped away at the end of TLJ it makes sense for her character. And I get that it kinda sorta works for April's arc that she just leads a failed rebellion into getting slaughtered then dies for no real good reason and is dumped in a swamp, since her whole thing through the games is getting her entire life ruined again and agin by fate and destiny and crap. But it still would have been far more engaging if she was the protagonist and they just left Kiane and Zoe behind. Even both of them together don't equal April and Crow.

Baba Yaga was the coolest bit of the episodes I think, really called back to the best bits of the Longest Journey. Saga could have been fleshed out a lot more, but in the little bit she had she was pretty okay. The Brian stuff was kinda lame, no explanation behind Queenie's stuff, not a lot of the choices really mattered in the end for anything. And there was nothing about the dragons at all! I was really hoping we'd get something touching on the dragons somewhere in the game.

Rating: It's totally a game for the fans. If I wasn't invested from TLJ then I wouldn't have stuck with it.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I know this thread is kinda dead but I had to gather some of my thoughts to get closure. Also, gently caress finding out that the final room has several clicks for story exposition, I'll have to visit it later again. :suicide:

The game mechanics were pretty god drat tiring and you could tell the game was running on a budget due to lack of crowds, etc. in scenes where you would expect them. Some incredibly tedious puzzles that felt like they were stretching the game out. Enu, which feels like a nerd girl insert to the nth degree.

But I still liked it. Mostly probably because I started with Dreamfall and thoroughly enjoyed it. I later on purchased TLJ but didn't enjoy it as much - Dreamfall around its release was very novel for its visuals and overall gameplay and story - the world felt really genuine. Having even mentions of Zoe's home and her sitting on the balcony of her old home caused me goose bumps. I realized I kinda remember the home, too. One of the first scenes of the series for me was in that home, and having it mentioned I realized I roughly remember how it looks like even though it must have been so long ago and I only played through Dreamfall once, so nostalgia certainly carried moments like that.

But overall, the end certainly delivered some closure to me and heaps of nostalgia - now I want something similar. The game didn't manage to get me teary-eyed which is a little worrying since games that I get invested on do prompt that kind of emotional response from me if they at least try.

I wish Törnquist was given a bigger budget for a story focused game, I really like the worlds he creates. Is Secret World worth visiting for Törnquist's storytelling pedigree?

edit: I can't help but comparing this game to Life is Strange which I picked up to get some similar vibes - which ended up surpassing Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters easily in terms of presentation, gameplay and feeling like a quality production where budget didn't feel like a limiting factor

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 25, 2016

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dessel posted:

I wish Törnquist was given a bigger budget for a story focused game, I really like the worlds he creates. Is Secret World worth visiting for Törnquist's storytelling pedigree?

I would argue that the primary reason to try Secret World is the storytelling.

There's some really wonky gameplay in there and once you finish it there's not much reason to go back, but damned if the writing, characters, and dialogue aren't all absolutely amazing.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dessel posted:

edit: I can't help but comparing this game to Life is Strange which I picked up to get some similar vibes - which ended up surpassing Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters easily in terms of presentation, gameplay and feeling like a quality production where budget didn't feel like a limiting factor
Nailed it.

They both suffered from the 'your choices have consequences!' thing though!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dominoes posted:

Nailed it.

They both suffered from the 'your choices have consequences!' thing though!

I wonder if the developers were just too ambitious about how much they could do. The more choices there are, the more work you have to put into each episode, if you want true consequences.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

CharlesM posted:

I wonder if the developers were just too ambitious about how much they could do. The more choices there are, the more work you have to put into each episode, if you want true consequences.
The only games I've played where your choices actually had consequences were ones where they didn't rub it in your face - Alpha Protocol, and The Witcher 2.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I've started Book 2 now and arrived in the Marcuria hub. I like it so far pretty much, it's like when I first played Dreamfall and got to experience Marcuria in full 3D but turned up a notch.

The performance is wonky though. On my first session everything played very smooth. When I started it up for the second time, I got sub 10 FPS and the fans wouldn't spin up like the first time. Restarted twice and it got better but large open spaces in Marcuria still brought it to a halt (which makes sense at least) so I turned off shadows, which made it a little better. I'd turn off even more stuff but it's weird it ran smooth as butter the first time in Europolis, makes it seem random.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Yeah it definitely has some optimisation problems. It's borderline unplayable on my laptop, which should really be able to run it at least on medium.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They made a major change going from Unity 4 to the Unity 5 engine, and now from 5.2 to 5.3, and it apparently introduces new bugs each version. The developers say they're working with Unity on it but haven't said anything this month so far. I think they're working on more patches though.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Finally got around to finishing tonight. Been putting it off in fear of it sucking, but book 5 was alright, and the epilogue was a nice ending. Sadder than the conclusion was that the rush job was so evident with this chapter. It seemed like they had twice the amount of content planned and had to cut most of it.

Even with things seemingly wrapped up, The Longest Journey Home in 8 or so years would be nice.

halwain
May 31, 2011
What is the Prophecy Saga is talking about? I dont remember anything about it in the prequels.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
What bothers me about DC is how much smaller it feels than the original TLJ. I don't think that's because Tornquist has run out of ideas but because he chose the wrong medium.

With the stage-set graphics of TLJ it was economical to create many different locations, and that created the sense of adventure over the course of the game. In DC you're mostly stuck in two hubs, one of which is constantly shrinking, because that's what the studio could afford to build in 3D. I wish Tornquist had stuck to technology that suited his storytelling, instead of going for the eye candy.

halwain posted:

What is the Prophecy Saga is talking about? I dont remember anything about it in the prequels.
Unification of the worlds. I don't think there was anything about it, except the Dreamfall post-credits scene where Cortez tells Westhouse that he has a purpose to fulfill.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's nice to see Syberia 3 is getting made but surprised they also didn't go crowd funding like Dreamfall?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Finally got around to beat the game and while I agree it was the weakest of the trilogy by a fair margin and had its share of flaws, I felt it stuck the landing well enough to make it all worth it. The epilogue was great.

I'm glad I backed it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 23, 2016

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
According to their last (I think a few weeks ago) kickstarter update, they are still working on the game for a "final" edition of it (and a PS4 version). I don't think they have committed to a release date yet for that. I do hold some hope that working on the PS4 version will push them harder for performance optimizations because the game still has terrible issues in that regard. edit!: Also they mention that interactive graphic novel they had as a stretch goal in the kickstarter campaign -- it's probably a safe bet to say that back then they had no idea what they would do with that but promised it anyway.

At some point I ran out of disk space and this game was the one that took the bullet sadly. I was kind of getting tired that I had to replay the game from the beginning ( because twice now my saves were invalidated or lost when I was expecting the Cloud to synch from my sessions from the Steam OS version), and I decided I don't really like the changes and cuts in the first segment....

Anyway, I might get back to it whenever they release the final product.

In the meantime, and after a long period of absence, Sven (dilandau3000) has just started a youtube let's play of it, which, considering his past LPs and his knowledge on the TLJ lore/mythology should be a good alternative to painlessly experience the game.
(Also, he is doing Obduction next)

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

This thread is a spiral, but has yet to come to an end.

I'm jumping in way late, but I only just finished this last night, after staying up until much later than I'd intended to see it to a close, and I've had some time now to mull it over.

I loved how it ended up tapping into the idea of the Multiverse, and finally took home some of the concepts hinted at from the beginning. Definitely take the time to examine everything in the final epilogue scene. Wandering around that room taking in all the old memories was a really poignant way to close the whole story.

Most game endings, or endings to entertainment things in general, I don't care much about as they tend to be non-events or wildly unsatisfying, but I found this one was made impactful in large part due to how much history I have with the story, and how long it's been part of my life. There have been some long gaps, but this game series has tracked me through, and paralleled a lot of, my so called adulthood. I originally discovered The Longest Journey when I was just starting off to college. Dreamfall came out after I'd finished, and was sort of drifting, unmotivated and unsure of what I wanted to do. Chapters has closed out with me going in a different direction than I ever expected, but finally seeming to head somewhere. The characters in the games have always resonated with me, and it seemed like they came at just the right times in my life. If the games had been a few years later or earlier, I would have probably not gotten so much out of them. It was legitimately sad to see them go.

I wonder if Draugen will ever turn into a thing now.

• Locked thread