Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dominoes posted:

How can I redeem the kickstarter thing? I filled out the backerkit, but it just says "you're done, share".

They have posted instructions on how to claim your Humble page for the game. (They may have sent an e-mail too, because I remember doing this, way before reading that post).
http://redthreadgames.com/forum/topic/319-how-to-claim-a-humble-page-forum-badge/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks; that worked.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Shitbot is awesome

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The woman in the opening is supposed to be April right, it's pretty hard to recognize people across graphics upgrades, especially when they aren't speaking.

Anyway I just finished it but I'm not sure if I like it or not, it feels like a pretty weak start but it stops just as the momentum gets going, so it will probably be better once all the episodes are out.

Also I don't know how much changes but Chapter 2 spoilers ahead:
I don't really like the amnesia thing, I mean sure not remembering the stuff after the coma makes sense and brought up ahead of time but not remembering the last part of the last game seems like they wrote themselves into a corner, even if the logs suggest she remember more than she's telling others. Also it's pretty hard to care about a relationship with Reza when the last time we saw him Zoe was pretty sure it was someone masquerading as him, which is also brought up at the start of this game. Not that he's likable anyway.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The official public release time got pushed back, by about 6 hours according to the Steam page. However,the relevant KS update, which was issued a few hours ago, seems to imply that there is no new release time set - they are working on some game breaking bugs (or a bunch of the other stuff that are pending such as Linux, Mac and bonus material).

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

AbstractNapper posted:

The official public release time got pushed back, by about 6 hours according to the Steam page. However,the relevant KS update, which was issued a few hours ago, seems to imply that there is no new release time set - they are working on some game breaking bugs (or a bunch of the other stuff that are pending such as Linux, Mac and bonus material).

On Twitter RTG says they believe they've got the bugs fixed and are creating a new build now. If nothing goes wrong with the build process and it's QA-OK then they will launch at that point. So a couple hours I think is still realistic.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Hel posted:

The woman in the opening is supposed to be April right, it's pretty hard to recognize people across graphics upgrades, especially when they aren't speaking.

Anyway I just finished it but I'm not sure if I like it or not, it feels like a pretty weak start but it stops just as the momentum gets going, so it will probably be better once all the episodes are out.

Also I don't know how much changes but Chapter 2 spoilers ahead:
I don't really like the amnesia thing, I mean sure not remembering the stuff after the coma makes sense and brought up ahead of time but not remembering the last part of the last game seems like they wrote themselves into a corner, even if the logs suggest she remember more than she's telling others. Also it's pretty hard to care about a relationship with Reza when the last time we saw him Zoe was pretty sure it was someone masquerading as him, which is also brought up at the start of this game. Not that he's likable anyway.

Really? I thought it was excellent. Granted I don't think this beginning is as gripping as the first two, but in terms of dialog, characterization, and puzzles I thought it was top notch.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
The game is up on Steam now!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

If anyone needs a good primer on the previous two games, this opening post for the game thread on Neogaf is well done.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916129

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
How did they manage to make a game that ignores forced vSync via the graphics card settings? I've never seen that before.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 21, 2014

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
drat, I had no idea this was coming out anytime soon. Hell yeah.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

theblackw0lf posted:

Really? I thought it was excellent. Granted I don't think this beginning is as gripping as the first two, but in terms of dialog, characterization, and puzzles I thought it was top notch.

I think my problem is that it's three beginnings in a row without going anywhere, which kinda kills the momentum. I know it works thematically but I would have preferred they traded one of the chapters for the continuation of another. As I said it will probably work better once you have all the episodes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Hel posted:

I think my problem is that it's three beginnings in a row without going anywhere, which kinda kills the momentum. I know it works thematically but I would have preferred they traded one of the chapters for the continuation of another. As I said it will probably work better once you have all the episodes.

Yea if there's one issue I have with it is that the episode just kind of "stops". (although I guess maybe Zoe warned us about that, haha).

One thing I think the Telltale games do well is that each episode seems have a general story arc that has a climax at the end, but points at more story to follow. This seems more like one game that just happens to be released in separate chunks.

I don't know if I would want them altering the story though to fit an episodic format though, as it could possibly weaken it.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2014

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~

theblackw0lf posted:

This seems more like one game that just happens to be released in separate chunks.

I think that's exactly what it is. IIRC this wasn't meant to be an episodic game, originally.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

theblackw0lf posted:

If anyone needs a good primer on the previous two games, this opening post for the game thread on Neogaf is well done.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916129

It's a good thing that the game has a recap feature, and the Journeys: Birth PDF.

Oh wait, the former is grayed out when I launch the game, and the latter still hasn't been released even though both were promised for launch.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 22, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Let's just hope they don't pull a Valve in regards to episodic content. Was already annoying enough to wait that long to get anything remotely like closure, with Funcom tripping on MMOs.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Let's just hope they don't pull a Valve in regards to episodic content. Was already annoying enough to wait that long to get anything remotely like closure, with Funcom tripping on MMOs.

I think I heard book 2 is in beta right now, so I'm guessing it will be available in a couple months.

Btw, this chapter took me about 4 hours to finish, and it's supposedly one of the shorter ones.

I think if you rushed through it and knew what to do it would take you about 2 1/2 hours.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I don't think they'll do a Valve as they don't seem to be spinning off into other directions now that Ragnar Tornqist seems to have gotten that Secret World nonsense out of his system, although they are still working on Draugen too I guess? I don't know what's up with that. I would love to see Red Thread really make the episodic format work, but there have been so few companies that have at this point.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

I think that's exactly what it is. IIRC this wasn't meant to be an episodic game, originally.
It was at first, the original idea years ago was to have the story split up into Chapters and released in that format, but then for the Kickstarter pitch the plan was to release all of them at once. But then they ran into the same issue a lot of Kickstarters do, which is time and money, and in order to release something this year and hopefully kick up some extra money, they decided to go back to the episodic idea.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

macnbc posted:

It's a good thing that the game has a recap feature, and the Journeys: Birth PDF.

Oh wait, the former is grayed out when I launch the game, and the latter still hasn't been released even though both were promised for launch.

I feel like the "Story Recap" button is there to recap what happened in the previous books as you play Chapters. I am pretty disappointed that we don't have Journeys: Birth yet though...

Edit:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I don't think they'll do a Valve as they don't seem to be spinning off into other directions now that Ragnar Tornqist seems to have gotten that Secret World nonsense out of his system, although they are still working on Draugen too I guess? I don't know what's up with that. I would love to see Red Thread really make the episodic format work, but there have been so few companies that have at this point.
It was at first, the original idea years ago was to have the story split up into Chapters and released in that format, but then for the Kickstarter pitch the plan was to release all of them at once. But then they ran into the same issue a lot of Kickstarters do, which is time and money, and in order to release something this year and hopefully kick up some extra money, they decided to go back to the episodic idea.

Everyone who wants to do episodic games should look at Telltale's model. They've been doing Episodic successfully for the better part of a decade and been really successful with it.

Also, they've repeatedly said that Draugen was an entirely different team and no resources or personnel from Chapters would be used.

choobs fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 22, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

choobs posted:

I feel like the "Story Recap" button is there to recap what happened in the previous books as you play Chapters. I am pretty disappointed that we don't have Journeys: Birth yet though...

Actually the $1.1 million stretch goal for the game was an interactive graphic novel recapping the story of TLJ and Dreamfall. This is absent.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

GhostDog posted:

How did they manage to make a game that ignores forced vSync via the graphics card settings? I've never seen that before.

I was really hoping today's official release would allow some more advanced settings for the display options. I've got a pretty decent rig but the game is still really taxing (and seemingly for no reason).

macnbc posted:

Actually the $1.1 million stretch goal for the game was an interactive graphic novel recapping the story of TLJ and Dreamfall. This is absent.

RTG's been maintaining radio silence with the ebook and game primer. I hate to be a nag because I'm enjoying Reborn as it is, but I really hope they address it soon.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Just saw this video review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vhvAPS4w7g

Where did he get babybot from? I don't remember that

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mira posted:

RTG's been maintaining radio silence with the ebook and game primer. I hate to be a nag because I'm enjoying Reborn as it is, but I really hope they address it soon.

That's what's frustrating about it. I'm really excited that the game is here and in our hands now.

But for all the experienced devs they have, Dreamfall Chapters is still the first game from Red Thread Games. It's the one that sets the precedent on what to expect from them. And they've broken quite a few promises in the lead-up on this.

They originally promised we'd have an entire game this year. And now we've got 1/5 of it. (That part I get.. pretty much every major Kickstarter has done it too.) Tornquist promised that some of the supplemental stuff would come out before the game, like weeks or months in advance. They didn't. They put in their Steam and GOG product listings that the ebook would be out on the 20th. It's not. They put a stretch goal for the recap in the KS campaign. It's MIA.

And the worst of it is that I think a lot of it could be forgiven if they just come out and say "Yeah, sorry, we just really wanted to get the game out, that will be coming later this week/month." But the question's been asked on Twitter, on GOG, on Steam, and on their forums so I know they've seen it and are just choosing to ignore it and hope people forget about it.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 22, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
^^^ I could have sworn that the pledges were worded differently during the campaign than what they're saying now. Sadly I don't have screenshots to prove it. I would never have backed it with 150 bucks for a few digital extras. I think t-shirts were mentioned in my level, nothing to be seen about it anymore.

Found the email, I'm wrong.

theblackw0lf posted:

I think I heard book 2 is in beta right now, so I'm guessing it will be available in a couple months.
Couple of months is almost too much.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 22, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Runs like rear end on a Macbook Air and a lot of graphic problems. Find my forums account I guess ...

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Absolute mother fuckers for opening the game with April's funeral god drat them all. She'd better come back somehow via whatever mcguffin necessary because I really liked her, damnit, and her story didn't feel anywhere near done.

The interlude at the end was frustrating because I want answers about the characters I know about, I don't want new and more mysterious ones! I hope at the end this all makes sense and concludes nicely.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mira posted:

Gameplay will largely mimic Telltale's The Walking Dead series -- a third-person, point and click interface where certain choices made early on affect the outcome of events later in the game.

How much is it like Telltale's newer games and how much of it mimics a P&C adventure? I mean, I bought it, I just want to know what I'm in for. I love the Walking Dead game, but I kind of miss old adventure games, despite their flaws.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting TLJ levels of obtuse puzzles (gently caress that duck inner tube), but some puzzling would be nice.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Jsor posted:

How much is it like Telltale's newer games and how much of it mimics a P&C adventure? I mean, I bought it, I just want to know what I'm in for. I love the Walking Dead game, but I kind of miss old adventure games, despite their flaws.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting TLJ levels of obtuse puzzles (gently caress that duck inner tube), but some puzzling would be nice.

You've got the usual P&C rote of acquiring items in your inventory, combining them in logical ways and clicking on nearly everything in the environment to progress.

Now that I'm playing it, I'm kind of realizing that the comparison to the TellTale games stops with the a/b/c dialogue choices where it flashes on the screen how the NPC will "remember" what you said.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, the choice system, and whole morality thing seem really tacked on.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
For those who finished it, how long is the first episode? I'm going to start playing soon.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Grawl posted:

For those who finished it, how long is the first episode? I'm going to start playing soon.
If you take your time and explore it can be fairly long, took me around six hours.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I didn't rush and it took me about four and a half hours altogether. I thought it struck a really nice balance between conversational option/choice stuff (which was limited but well-deployed) and some really neat puzzles which gave me a couple of minor eureka moments.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Steam says 4 hours and at least 25 min of those were me being stuck at a puzzle and some of it was getting lost because the map is awful.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Just finished it in 4 hours. Aching for more.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Well, that was a whole lot of... interesting plot hooks. Propast was easily the best bit (intrigue, gangsters, "I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THE WELDING."). What do we think about Reza? As soon as Zoe mentioned he felt "off", I started trying to passive aggressively pick fights with the guy. I'm sure this is a great plan, though I don't remember nearly enough about the previous two games to put any of these callbacks or clues into context. :v:

Do we have any sort of timeframe for the next instalment?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I played TLJ earlier this year and I a hairs breath away from actually going back from the beginning and TRYIN to complete Dreamfall before starting Chapters, but is it worth playing through Dreamfall in 2014 or am I just goin to be frustrated and bored with it?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You'd've been frustrated and bored in 2006. It has terrible combat sections that add not one single thing to the game, and the controls for the rest of it aren't so hot either. I don't know why adventure games abandoned point-and-click, but it was a stupid loving decision.

Still, I think you'd get more out of this game having played Dreamfall and TLJ (or just Dreamfall) than TLJ alone. The plot is a much more direct continuation of the second game than the first and literally all the recurring characters are from Dreamfall, not TLJ.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

I played through it about a month ago and found that it still holds up, but it could just be rose-colored glasses.

If you're afraid that you need a refresher and exposition is what you're looking for, I would recommend just going into Chapters regardless. So far, the story is (understandably) playing out in broad strokes.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Having serious performance issues with this, on a laptop that (while not top-of-the-line) is well above the recommended requirements. Unplayably choppy on all but the lowest settings. According to the Steam page, the devs are aware of these issues and are working on addressing them, but still super disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

You'd've been frustrated and bored in 2006. It has terrible combat sections that add not one single thing to the game, and the controls for the rest of it aren't so hot either. I don't know why adventure games abandoned point-and-click, but it was a stupid loving decision.

Still, I think you'd get more out of this game having played Dreamfall and TLJ (or just Dreamfall) than TLJ alone. The plot is a much more direct continuation of the second game than the first and literally all the recurring characters are from Dreamfall, not TLJ.

Counterpoint, Dreamfall is wonderful as long as you go in expecting an interactive story and not a whole lot of 'game'. The combat is very dumb but ultimately easy and the puzzles are mostly forgettable a->b->c stuff used to drive the plot. Well, apart from one puzzle involving getting a musical sequence right which I realise I'm still angry about now many years later.

But... I really enjoyed the ride, the locations, the characters and the dialog and that's more meaningful to me than the negatives.

You'd also get the added bonus of not being unspeakably enraged by the ending cliffhanger at a time when a sequel looked very unlikely.

• Locked thread