Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The combat and stealth in Dreamfall are barely even in it, just use a FAQ for the stealth sections and you'll be fine. Everything else about is still real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Accordion Man posted:

The combat and stealth in Dreamfall are barely even in it, just use a FAQ for the stealth sections and you'll be fine. Everything else about is still real good.

The wonderful stealth sequence in the cave was one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had. It's the one thing that deters me from playing it again.

But 95% of the game is great.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Autonomous Monster posted:

What do we think about Reza? As soon as Zoe mentioned he felt "off", I started trying to passive aggressively pick fights with the guy.

I was really surprised during the end where it told me that something like 12% of people had done the same thing I did in baiting and fighting with Reza. Only 12%? After being told he's an impostor? Weird. And enjoy your mystery meat sausages, rear end in a top hat.

Welding! Welding? WELding! Well-ding! WelDING!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

dog days are over posted:

I was really surprised during the end where it told me that something like 12% of people had done the same thing I did in baiting and fighting with Reza. Only 12%? After being told he's an impostor? Weird. And enjoy your mystery meat sausages, rear end in a top hat.

Welding! Welding? WELding! Well-ding! WelDING!

I was going to but then I accidentally interacted with him and that ended the chapter with a cutscene in his favour. Not repeating that mistake when i replay it.

BTW for those that didn't go back to school what do you do instead?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hel posted:

I was going to but then I accidentally interacted with him and that ended the chapter with a cutscene in his favour. Not repeating that mistake when i replay it.

BTW for those that didn't go back to school what do you do instead?
Zoe works for Mira fulltime while she helps with the campaign on her time off.

Do you actually go into the university there? Because I remember seeing it while exploring. That's a pretty nice deviation if that's true.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Accordion Man posted:

Zoe works for Mira fulltime while she helps with the campaign on her time off.

Do you actually go into the university there? Because I remember seeing it while exploring. That's a pretty nice deviation if that's true.

You operate out of a rent-a-lab which is a one room area. You are actually enrolled in Cape Town University as a long distance student, so no local school for you. You still do the campaign stuff though. You still meet Mira though, but only shortly. If you work for Mira do you ever meet Ada? because she is the school NPC.

Hel fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 22, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hel posted:

You operate out of a rent-a-lab which is a one room area. You are actually enrolled in Cape Town University as a long distance student, so no local school for you. You still do the campaign stuff though. You still meet Mira though, but only shortly. If you work for Mira do you ever meet Ada? because she is the school NPC.
Nope, but you meet Shitbot instead. Shitbot is best robot.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Oh wait is whether you go back to school dependent on what choice you make at the end of storytime?

That would make sense given the choices.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

What happens if you don't kill the captain? I assume he still dies and you still escape, so the deviation must be infinitesimal.

Fwoderwick posted:

Counterpoint, Dreamfall is wonderful as long as you go in expecting an interactive story and not a whole lot of 'game'. The combat is very dumb but ultimately easy and the puzzles are mostly forgettable a->b->c stuff used to drive the plot. Well, apart from one puzzle involving getting a musical sequence right which I realise I'm still angry about now many years later.

But... I really enjoyed the ride, the locations, the characters and the dialog and that's more meaningful to me than the negatives.

You'd also get the added bonus of not being unspeakably enraged by the ending cliffhanger at a time when a sequel looked very unlikely.

This is fair, though at that point you have to wonder why Tornquist didn't just write a book instead. You can argue (and I think John Walker has, about this exact game) that games have their own narrative techniques that can't be replicated elsewhere, but I don't think I've ever seen someone make a compelling argument that those techniques are worth a mediocre everything else. :shrug:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

theblackw0lf posted:

Oh wait is whether you go back to school dependent on what choice you make at the end of storytime?

That would make sense given the choices.

I think Ragnar tweeted about it being the branching point.

Accordion Man posted:

Nope, but you meet Shitbot instead. Shitbot is best robot.

Maybe, but kidbot is the cutest.

edit:

What happens if you don't kill the captain? I assume he still dies and you still escape, so the deviation must be infinitesimal.

He suicides on your sword and you get shot and fall into the portal

Hel fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 22, 2014

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

If you refuse, he still grabs the sword from your hand and plunges it into himself. Kian hesitates before making for the portal but gets shot a few times by Vamon (slow-mo puncture wounds).

My question is does Kian get out of it unscathed if you do choose to kill the captain without hesitation?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Mira posted:

If you refuse, he still grabs the sword from your hand and plunges it into himself. Kian hesitates before making for the portal but gets shot a few times by Vamon (slow-mo puncture wounds).

My question is does Kian get out of it unscathed if you do choose to kill the captain without hesitation?

No he still gets shot. Guess it will have some other consequence down the line

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mira posted:

Nope. One in the shoulder, one in the stomach.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

This is fair, though at that point you have to wonder why Tornquist didn't just write a book instead. You can argue (and I think John Walker has, about this exact game) that games have their own narrative techniques that can't be replicated elsewhere, but I don't think I've ever seen someone make a compelling argument that those techniques are worth a mediocre everything else. :shrug:
To also be fair Dreamfall came out at a time when games hadn't really branched out into different gameplay styles aside from combat and puzzles. Now that you've got your Walking Deads and Gone Homes it proves games can work by just focusing on stuff like roleplaying and exploration alone. Chapters definitely feels like it takes advantage of this new age of adventure games.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Concerned Citizen posted:

The wonderful stealth sequence in the cave was one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had. It's the one thing that deters me from playing it again.

But 95% of the game is great.

I hated hated HATED that sequence the first time through, but when I replayed it, I found a map on GameFAQs so I knew exactly where to run if I got caught and honestly it wasn't too bad at that point. No, the only part that was truly frustrating was the stealth sequence Zoe had to install the "worm" in Dreamcore. Having to sneak around the core with the scientists was the biggest pain in the rear end. I got caught multiple times and it took forever. It was the only time I got truly frustrated with the game.

The combat was clumsy and obnoxious, but was usually quick at least. It wasn't very difficult either, except for the "training" fight at the beginning ironically enough.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

It's interesting, and I imagine quite frustrating for Ragnar, that so few gamers and critics realize there are quite different career paths for Zoe. I didn't even realize it till I started hearing about Kidbot, which I never saw in my playthrough.

Not sure what they could do to rectify it.

In a way they're a victim of their own talent. Because it's not really apparent how the choice you make will cause a difference (like in life), it's difficult to notice that the path you were on was created by that choice. Unlike some choices in games where the outcomes are very telegraphed.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 22, 2014

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

^^^^ Not sure there is much to recitify, other than awareness. It is a bit unusual for entire sections to changes of a game based on long-term, not immediately obvious choices.

Hel posted:

He suicides on your sword and you get shot and fall into the portal

At JourneyCon they hinted that while the blocked text may appear like the outcome is the same regardless, it will have some consequence in later books

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I can't wait to find out what picking the sausage over the cheese soup changes.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

^^^ I seriously burst out laughing when I saw that. It's so incongruous with the somber music.

Also, regarding achievements, I finished my playthrough and saw that I missed one? The "She's so cute" achievement. Anyone know what that's about?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I can't wait to find out what picking the sausage over the cheese soup changes.

I thought that imagery was pretty clear myself.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Snakes, you dog...

Mira posted:

^^^ I seriously burst out laughing when I saw that. It's so incongruous with the somber music.

Also, regarding achievements, I finished my playthrough and saw that I missed one? The "She's so cute" achievement. Anyone know what that's about?

Apparently it is robot-related? I didn't get it either.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
What happens to the saved choices I've made on my first play through if I start over?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Mira posted:

You have to choose a different career path

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Oh, maybe it isn't robot-related then. Or maybe there's another, different robot if I go back to school!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Oh, maybe it isn't robot-related then. Or maybe there's another, different robot if I go back to school!

This is the case.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

FoneBone posted:

Having serious performance issues with this, on a laptop that (while not top-of-the-line) is well above the recommended requirements. Unplayably choppy on all but the lowest settings. According to the Steam page, the devs are aware of these issues and are working on addressing them, but still super disappointing.

Yeah, I noticed this as well. Runs like molasses on my PC at certain times, even on the lowest graphics settings. My computer isn't top of the range either, but I can still play a number of games with prettier graphics and poo poo without it slowing down this much.

Having said that, I've been considering updating my graphics card anyway, so even if they do fix it I might get a new card so I can enjoy this game with all the pretty graphics turned to the max.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I had no idea we were getting any release. Getting my key added to Steam was tortuous but oh man this is exciting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

It's interesting, and I imagine quite frustrating for Ragnar, that so few gamers and critics realize there are quite different career paths for Zoe. I didn't even realize it till I started hearing about Kidbot, which I never saw in my playthrough.

Not sure what they could do to rectify it.

In a way they're a victim of their own talent. Because it's not really apparent how the choice you make will cause a difference (like in life), it's difficult to notice that the path you were on was created by that choice. Unlike some choices in games where the outcomes are very telegraphed.

I recall Heavy Rain actually had a similar problem. Some critics didn't realize that you could have done some sections differently and chosen different paths.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

As you said, it's a good thing it wasn't too apparent that you could have different career paths, but that's actually what kind of threw me off.

Right now when you click on the Balance symbol, there's a heavily skewed plurality with each of those defining choices, except for some reason the cheese soup/sausage choice, which was evenly split the last time I checked, so I think we've only been hearing outcomes from the dominant playthrough.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

I recall Heavy Rain actually had a similar problem. Some critics didn't realize that you could have done some sections differently and chosen different paths.

I think that was more Beyond: Two Souls than Heavy Rain. I think Heavy Rain made it more apparent when you were hitting decision points, where Beyond was almost entirely seamless.

There was one character who died who I didn't believe the death preventable when I played through, then I looked it up afterwards and I totally could've stopped it if I had done things a certain way.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

macnbc posted:

I think that was more Beyond: Two Souls than Heavy Rain. I think Heavy Rain made it more apparent when you were hitting decision points, where Beyond was almost entirely seamless.

There was one character who died who I didn't believe the death preventable when I played through, then I looked it up afterwards and I totally could've stopped it if I had done things a certain way.

Oh, right, sorry. Yeah. I've played neither, so.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I guess I shouldn't have turned down that narrow alley near the campaign office.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
And I'm pretty certain Sully does not have the power to turn invisible when I talk to him.

The conversation voice tracks were also running over each other during that bit.

Europolis can be a bit of a shitshow (pun intended), low frame rates in spots and I had to restart the robot section three times before it would complete properly. Shitbot is no Wonkers. I'm going to be really sick of him before the series is through. :colbert:. Can you get a battery for Wonkers?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
The Tourist Map of Europolis and the Art of Dreamfall Chapters Book One just popped up in my Humble Bundle backer download page. Still not on Steam as far as I can tell.

No sign of Journeys: Birth yet... :sigh:

Edit:

I did see this on the RTG forums:

RTG Forum Moderator posted:

It is the recap from TLJ & Dreamfall. It should have been there on launch, so people could get the previous story without playing the previous games, but it seems that RTG didn't manage to put it in before launch.

Hopefully it'll update (patch or something) some of these days.

So that clears up what that's for. Hopefully that shows up soon too.

choobs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 23, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

choobs posted:

The Tourist Map of Europolis and the Art of Dreamfall Chapters Book One just popped up in my Humble Bundle backer download page. Still not on Steam as far as I can tell.
Oh cool, thanks for the heads up. Humble's interface never fails to confuse me, I would have never known it was there. You have to click on your Dreamfall Chapters link under other purchases, then select "Ebooks" as the platform selection under the Download option.

I decided to replay Dreamfall anyway, especially since it looks like they'll be doing some patching to the first book. I forgot how much I loved the setting and characters, I can forgive the controls and action sections.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Since there's not much ChaptersChat, hopefully no one minds if I use this for Dreamfall(2006)Chat. I'm playing through again and still love the game, combat and stealth notwithstanding, but has anyone ever figured out what the pebbles are for in the cave when Zoe first lands in Arcadia? I'm assuming you're supposed to throw them or something to distract the cave monsters, but I was never able to work out how. Just like the first time I played it, and in every other "choose steath vs. combat" sequence in this game, it ended up being easier to just fight the things (read: spam the heavy attack until they fall down and hope they don't manage to hit you in between shots).

Also seeing what happens to Venice and the Border House again was just as depressing as the first time I played Dreamfall :(

e: fun fact, when Red Thread did a stream of them playing through Dreamfall last year, they had to look up the music puzzle in that cave :laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX2EY4W2oms&t=973s

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 25, 2014

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Haha wow. So I beat Shadow Zoe. when do I get my first persona? Seriously they even say "I'm you, and you're me!" and tell me to face my true self. Jeeze come on guys, I love persona 4 too but come on.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Chexoid posted:

Haha wow. So I beat Shadow Zoe. when do I get my first persona? Seriously they even say "I'm you, and you're me!" and tell me to face my true self. Jeeze come on guys, I love persona 4 too but come on.
Trashbot is your Persona.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Chexoid posted:

Longest Journey/Dreamfall has always had a bit of a jungian influence. So this seems par for the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Since there's not much ChaptersChat, hopefully no one minds if I use this for Dreamfall(2006)Chat. I'm playing through again and still love the game, combat and stealth notwithstanding, but has anyone ever figured out what the pebbles are for in the cave when Zoe first lands in Arcadia? I'm assuming you're supposed to throw them or something to distract the cave monsters, but I was never able to work out how. Just like the first time I played it, and in every other "choose steath vs. combat" sequence in this game, it ended up being easier to just fight the things (read: spam the heavy attack until they fall down and hope they don't manage to hit you in between shots).

Also seeing what happens to Venice and the Border House again was just as depressing as the first time I played Dreamfall :(

e: fun fact, when Red Thread did a stream of them playing through Dreamfall last year, they had to look up the music puzzle in that cave :laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX2EY4W2oms&t=973s

I remember that stream. They had to restart it a few times in the caves because it was buggy as hell and they couldn't progress. It was a really uncomfortable schadenfreude moment for the chat.

Also, I think the rock is used at long range using the distance perspective thing. I always just did hand-to-hand combat too.

• Locked thread