Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Dang though, I really do appreciate being able to see what the thought is behind your dialogue choices first. I hope every adventure game / rpg steals that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Playing through the first game - does it have any unwinnable situations like old Sierra games or am I fine to laze through and not worry?

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Playing through the first game - does it have any unwinnable situations like old Sierra games or am I fine to laze through and not worry?

Nah, The Longest Journey is actually a good game so it doesn't have those kinds of traps.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Robhol posted:

Nah, The Longest Journey is actually a good game so it doesn't have those kinds of traps.

It does have some old school adventure game logic. Somehow I was able to manage without a walkthrough though. That was ages ago though.

Also, unity runs pretty terribly with europolis slowing down a lot. Game looks quite good though.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
For anyone else who cares, the Red Thread Games account on the Steam forums posted that they "are working on an official video recap of Dreamfall for next week". They've also updated the Available date for Journeys: Birth to Nov 1.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The woman in the boat at the start (not spoilering because it is literally the first thing you see in game) is apparently Na'ane according to the chatter over on the main forums for this, per the artbook. Well it's not like that's confusing or anything given Na'ane used to look totally loving different.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Neurosis posted:

The woman in the boat at the start (not spoilering because it is literally the first thing you see in game) is apparently Na'ane according to the chatter over on the main forums for this, per the artbook. Well it's not like that's confusing or anything given Na'ane used to look totally loving different.

...the one with horns? Doing the singing?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Autonomous Monster posted:

...the one with horns? Doing the singing?

Must be, unless they decided to give her dark hair and give the most confusing intro ever. I found the new design weird and vaguely unsettling.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Na'ane was one of the people in the boats looking over the funeral along with The Captain and a random Dolmari guy (blue with one eye) that I didn't recognize, she was the one with the Yellow face with blue stripes. The blue kid singing was just a random Dolmari child. The woman in the boat who is dead is definitely 100% April Ryan.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of her:

choobs fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 28, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

choobs posted:

The woman in the boat who is dead is definitely 100% April Ryan.

That at least I got. :v:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Ah righto, it's been ages since the last game, I forgot who the Dolmari even were.

gently caress it, reinstalling the original Dreamfall, I remember gently caress and all about that game whereas TLJ I remember fairly well.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Neurosis posted:

Ah righto, it's been ages since the last game, I forgot who the Dolmari even were.

gently caress it, reinstalling the original Dreamfall, I remember gently caress and all about that game whereas TLJ I remember fairly well.

Good thing they just put a recap video on Youtube!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The only section of Dreamfall I remember in detail is that part where April and Kian have a conversation and you get to play both sides :laugh:

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
The art book is out? I'm pretty sure I got that from the Kickstarter and I'm not seeing it anywhere.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Satire Forum Mom posted:

The art book is out? I'm pretty sure I got that from the Kickstarter and I'm not seeing it anywhere.

It's not on Steam, but it should be in your Humble Account if you've redeemed your key there.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I'm pretty sure Giantbomb's quick look of Dreamfall:Chapters just sold quite a few copies. They covered the adventures of Shitbot.

macnbc posted:

It's helpful, but there's still quite a bit that Chapters has already referenced, and I imagine will reference later, but wasn't covered in that video.

Obviously they can't cover everything though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I remember THAT. The rest of it is a jumble. Faith, Damien, Helena, the Prophet... Video's too short for that. I didn't mind Dreamfall, the lovely stealth and combat don't make up that much of the game, as much as everyone's bitches about them.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

macnbc posted:

Uhm, this is ok (if not a bit too crammed with Dreamfall plot points) for a really short recap I guess. And it probably shouldn't be too long since it's a video and all, but it feels like rushed work.

Is this replacing the interactive graphic novel that would recap the story so far (and would have had content from TLJ too)?

From their kickstarter page (stretch goal at $1,100,000 )

quote:

Storytime We will make an interactive graphic novel recapping the story of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall!
(from a kickstarter update while the campaign was running and reaching stretch goals)

quote:

We just crossed the $1,100,000 line, which means that our interactive graphic novel retelling the stories of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall will be a reality!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/417562

Edit: false alarm. RTG/Ragnar wrote on the official forums that the interactive novel thing is coming out later on (maybe before book two or three). There was no time to have it ready with the first book release.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 28, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Neurosis posted:

I remember THAT. The rest of it is a jumble. Faith, Damien, Helena, the Prophet... Video's too short for that. I didn't mind Dreamfall, the lovely stealth and combat don't make up that much of the game, as much as everyone's bitches about them.
There is a lot going on in Dreamfall, I'd forgotten how involved story was. You can also read some detailed recaps on the TLJ wiki: http://tlj.wikia.com/wiki/Chapters_in_Dreamfall

It's definitely worth playing through again anyway though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
By the way, the IOS version of Longest Journey released in New Zealand and Australia yesterday. Looks like it's a soft launch though. So wo knows how long it will be till other countries get it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh and if you replay Dreamfall, watch past the credits (or just look it up on Youtube if you don't want to sit through all that).

I finally started getting into Dreamfall Chapters now that I finished replaying Dreamfall. I'm probably a "special" case but I'm already at 3 hours and I just got to Europolis. In Good Adventure Game fashion, it lets you click on almost everything and get multiple different responses, so I'm in adventure game nirvana just standing around seeing what's the next witty thing the characters have to say about a lamp. The new voice acting sounds great, having a more emotive Zoe sort of works thematically because she's a lot less apathetic now.

I also think the amnesia plot works here on another level, because if you haven't replayed Dreamfall recently you're in about the same situation Zoe starts off in; you have vague memories of some things that might have happened long ago :v:

Once again I'm finding the Kian segment(s) less interesting than Zoe's, but his part does have the best broom joke you'll ever hear

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I didn't really understand the "collapse" part of the Dreamfall background. Looking back at it, I guess the implication was that Stark and Arcadia are becoming more similar. So Stark's ubertechnology started failing, probably right around when they started hunting magical creatures in Arcadia. It seemed like a very odd thing to just be background info though, since it was pretty jarring for someone coming from TLJ.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Is the Collapse not the merging of the two worlds that happened at the end of TLJ? Stark couldn't process it and things went to poo poo.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Having not played any of the prior games (and having no interest in anything not story/exploration), how lost will I be if I start with Chapters?

Alternatively, where should I?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Autonomous Monster posted:

Is the Collapse not the merging of the two worlds that happened at the end of TLJ? Stark couldn't process it and things went to poo poo.

Now that I read more about it, it seems like the implication was that Stark and Arcadia got as weird as they did because of the missing Balance. It allowed Stark to produce such runaway technology. While it's not explicit, the Balance coming back may have wrested the two back into more... er... balance, which shut down a lot of Stark's technology. So they're now stuck in this weird limbo state of having ridiculously good biotech and robots, but can't do things as basic as communicating via satellite.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

tirinal posted:

Having not played any of the prior games (and having no interest in anything not story/exploration), how lost will I be if I start with Chapters?

Alternatively, where should I?

I can't imagine coming into this with no background knowledge. Start with The Longest Journey. It's an incredible, engrossing game, and easily available cheaply.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think it was also hinted that The Collapse was the work of The Undreaming, that potentially Jungian mass of darkness that appears at the end of Dreamfall.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah play both TLJ and Dreamfall, both are great. And by the time you finish, maybe the next part of Chapters will be out! (probably not, but both are pretty long games)

The Collapse seems like something they've only hinted at so far, I'm hoping they get into it a little more. It's part of a big chunk of time that includes a lot of April Ryan's story that hasn't been fully explained yet, although I don't know how much we'll get of the April story, because that was one of the stretch goals they didn't make.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I do know that they said (a long time ago), that they were planning another game set between TLJ and Dreamfall, about how April got so bitter. This was back either right after Chapters was announced, or a little before that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jsor posted:

Now that I read more about it, it seems like the implication was that Stark and Arcadia got as weird as they did because of the missing Balance. It allowed Stark to produce such runaway technology. While it's not explicit, the Balance coming back may have wrested the two back into more... er... balance, which shut down a lot of Stark's technology. So they're now stuck in this weird limbo state of having ridiculously good biotech and robots, but can't do things as basic as communicating via satellite.

Man, gently caress the Balance. There must be better ways to do things than a system where physical laws changing can pull the rug out from under your entire society. God knows what happened to the interplanetary settlers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here's there short video recap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1GmfM2DH4

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So, er, I missed the entire Shitbot segment, and I never met that eyepatch lady outside of the part where she shows up right after the algae puzzle. I knew it was there, because I've seen people talking about it, but I had no idea where to go, and the game never game me any directions, so I guess I just missed that whole loving thing?

Goddamn, this might've been my game of the year, but that loving sucks. Holy poo poo. Now I'm constantly going to be paranoid about missing poo poo or I guess I'm going to have to replay the whole loving thing? :wtc:

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

So, er, I missed the entire Shitbot segment, and I never met that eyepatch lady outside of the part where she shows up right after the algae puzzle. I knew it was there, because I've seen people talking about it, but I had no idea where to go, and the game never game me any directions, so I guess I just missed that whole loving thing?

Goddamn, this might've been my game of the year, but that loving sucks. Holy poo poo. Now I'm constantly going to be paranoid about missing poo poo or I guess I'm going to have to replay the whole loving thing? :wtc:

I think the Shitbot thing is a branch that you get depending on a choice earlier on (I haven't replayed the game so I couldn't say for sure which choice it is). It's not that you missed something, it's that you're on a different branch and got a different segment instead.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Hakkesshu posted:

Someone can correct me on this since I haven't had time to replay it just yet, but I believe it's the path that was / path that might be choice where the two Zoes confront each other that defines her career.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
wow I'm glad I didn't miss shitbot. I wasn't really keeping track of my choices. I hope the game does so you can replay and find out what you are missing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
New stability patch is up and it really helps. I thought my computer just couldn't run the game well, but nope it runs fine now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mira posted:

Someone can correct me on this since I haven't had time to replay it just yet, but I believe it's the path that was / path that might be choice where the two Zoes confront each other that defines her career.

Oh, okay. I guess that makes sense, it's just pretty poo poo to miss out on the thing that everybody says is kind of the funniest bit in the whole episode :smith:

Did I get a scene they didn't, then?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Hakkesshu posted:

And an achievement.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Oh, okay. I guess that makes sense, it's just pretty poo poo to miss out on the thing that everybody says is kind of the funniest bit in the whole episode :smith:

I took the same path as you did. People who took the other path don't go back to school so they don't get to meet KidBot and do the algae puzzle.

I do wish that Red Thread had added save slots like Walking Dead so I could replay the game and try different things without wiping out my previous choices. Kind of a bummer. I'm guessing they didn't because of the whole "Your choices matter." aspect. The irony being that in this game, I actually would go back and replay because it isn't emotionally traumatizing like TWD...

choobs fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I've played through Chapters once and loving loved it. TLJ is my all time favorite game and Chapters felt like coming home or putting on an old jacket.

The biggest "oh poo poo" moment for me was the interlude. Specifically the setting. It's totally Lady Alavane's house. And it explains the books that are her shelf when you visit her as April in TLJ

Chapters also has some really fantastic references to the passed games. For example when playing as Kian you can look at a broom and he'll say "A Broom." then "Still just a broom." this is a reference to the "Shelves. Still just Shelves" of TLJ. (Also keep checking cause it gets really loving hilarious as he goes into an odd amount of detail about the history of brooms in Arcadia.)

The Crowboy Map is a reference to the story that April tells Crow in the end of TLJ. She mentions that she was fond of a cartoon as a child called "Crowboy." Seeing how everything is sponsored by corporate overlord in TLJ future world it's no surprise that the map would have some non-navigation themed mascot. Also it will occasionally say something like "Maps! Get your maps here" which is a direct quote from the map dealer of TLJ.

On the topic of the collapse. It came about due to the worlds starting to merge from a lack of balance guardian. Magic was seeping into Stark allowing for magic based technology. Spoilers for TLJ: When April restored the Balance and the new guardian took his place that basically pulled all the magic that had seeped into Stark out causing a massive disaster where certain technology no longer worked. Remember April was often referred to as "the one who will save the world and destroy it."

Also As for save slots. Supposedly if you click "load game" you can go back to any auto save. You just can't make manual saves for some reason unfortunately.

D_W fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 31, 2014

• Locked thread