Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Longest Journey is now available for IOS worldwide for $6.99

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

I had missed a dialog option with the Ambassador and couldn't ask for the book. The book was available after that. Thanks for the help.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

longtimelurker posted:

Should I be spoilering games this old in sequel threads?

I honestly don't know. I started reading this thread before I finished TLJ and Dreamfall to ask for advice like once or twice. I'm just doing it as a courtesy in case anyone else is in the same position, since there aren't any general TLJ series threads.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Replaying The Longest Journey, and it's pretty apparent that Ragnar's writing skills have improved considerably.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Book Two announcement trailer went up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b6AikMn6To

"Coming soon" so hopefully that means not too far into December.

This is just stuff from the video, but spoiling in case anyone doesn't want to know anything about it:

Looks like someone really wants to stab Zoe, I'm guessing it has something to do with her poking around and trying to find that girl.

Kian's rocking some trendy Assassin's Creed couture there, I'm assuming that's him walking through some Azadi town anyway.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RightClickSaveAs posted:

"Coming soon" so hopefully that means not too far into December.

Really? That is. A lot better than I was expecting.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Replaying The Longest Journey, and it's pretty apparent that Ragnar's writing skills have improved considerably.

The voice acting is much improved as well, but that was also true for Dreamfall.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Autonomous Monster posted:

Really? That is. A lot better than I was expecting.
Just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't imagine they'd release a trailer for something that won't come out within the next month.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't imagine they'd release a trailer for something that won't come out within the next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCXE1l5MVI

Burnt too many times to trust game devs :qq:

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

From the Kickstarter update:

quote:

"Coming soon" is when Book Two: Rebels is done! The team is working hard on the next episode but there's still a lot left to do and they won't let go of it until they feel it's as good as it can possibly get. More news in December!

So maybe not release next month, but perhaps a release date.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Still no news on the next chapter?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The official word is that development/testing progresses according to their internal schedule. For whatever that is worth being addressed to people who naturally have no clue what the internal schedule is (and also backers who previously were under the impression that Book 2 was already in beta testing phase).

Also from the 19th December update

quote:

We know you're all eager to learn WHEN Book Two will be released — unfortunately, we're not
ready to reveal a release date quite yet. In fact, we don't plan on announcing anything until
we're about 8-10 days away from launch.

On hte latest update, they 've said that early January they are posting an update with new Book Two art.
People now speculate that it could be late January or February 2015 before Book two is released.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I REALLY wish there was more backer communication, I don't expect access to Ragnar's private diary entries or anything, but you should at least be able to get updates before the worldwide press releases. Is it just too hard to control that kind of information? Double Fine did it and the honor system seemed to work OK in that case.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Latest Kickstarter update includes this infographic:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
20.7% of players missed out on Shitbot. That's criminal.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wait you had the option to murder others than the mercy killing and the blood sacrifice?

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Joda posted:

Wait you had the option to murder others than the mercy killing and the blood sacrifice?

Most likely referring to the Warden.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

I played through both life paths for Zoe, I wonder if they're only counting the first play or just whatever stats got sent total. I wouldn't be surprised if most people went for Shitbot and didn't realize that the alternate path was an alternate career story entirely, and the Kidbot percentage is from replays.

vvv Hurrrr, I missed that bit, my bad.

Jarnet fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 23, 2015

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think "Not counting multiple playthroughs" means they only consider the first playthrough for every user.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I must admit that I have stubbornly stopped playing the game after I exhausted myself trying to find an optimal way to play the section where you first enter Europolis with no annoying frame drops and lens flares (which thankfully were eventually made optional with a patch). I must have played that initial part of Europolis more than a dozen times, and the game does not really save state between its checkpoints, so you have to talk again to people and you listen again to the same conversations between citizens etc.

I tried overclocking, CPU and GPU, dropping the resolution, dropping the extra stuff (disabled SSAO, I tried lower settings than the "awesome" setting for visuals etc) and I still ended up disappointed by the performance, considering that the game really should not be that much CPU hungry ( I read that there is a later section where it is even more bad performance wise). I realize that a main issue is inherent with the Unity 4.x engine, but it still sucks to have a PC with a two year old GPU (HD 7950) and a decent processor (Phenom II @3.8 Ghz) and still not being able to run the game at medium settings with acceptable framerates.

I am now waiting for either a PC upgrade (maybe this Spring if the budget allows) or for them to hit a brick wall trying to get the game for the PS4 with such low framerates and make more drastic/efficient optimizations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I wish I had read that before buying it. I'm not going to get this playable on my laptop am I?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

I tried overclocking, CPU and GPU, dropping the resolution, dropping the extra stuff (disabled SSAO, I tried lower settings than the "awesome" setting for visuals etc) and I still ended up disappointed by the performance, considering that the game really should not be that much CPU hungry ( I read that there is a later section where it is even more bad performance wise). I realize that a main issue is inherent with the Unity 4.x engine, but it still sucks to have a PC with a two year old GPU (HD 7950) and a decent processor (Phenom II @3.8 Ghz) and still not being able to run the game at medium settings with acceptable framerates.
Really, that's odd. I have an i5 3.4 GHz and a GeForce 650 and cranked up the settings pretty high, and this was before the big patch. I may have a lower threshold for what's considered an acceptable framerate, but the game never felt choppy. I haven't used AMD processors or GPUs in ages, but those should be comparable, if not even older than yours.

I'll agree though, I was disappointed that Unity was the engine they went with. They made it look really good but it feels like the limitations are being pushed.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Book 2 release date was just announced to be March 10.

There will be a trailer on February 24.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Not bad, especially considering Ragnar's earlier statement about Book Two being bigger than Book One.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
50% bigger according to the Kickstarter update.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Speaking of Book 2, The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 comes out tomorrow and their release trailer is great.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
I really hope they've done something about performance with Book 2. Just tried out Book 1 after all their supposed optimisations and it still runs like horse poo poo :(. Sure the game is beautiful and all, but considering how it looks when you turn all options down and off I'd expect at least 60fps on my system.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
book 2's been given a release date of 10 march. awesome

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Book 2 trailer is up:
http://youtu.be/nCASIJTJddw

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
that better be crow at the end

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The animation looks janky as hell, though I've just finished the first episode of 'Life is Strange' and I can't help but draw comparisons.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Looks like they lowered the polygon count and dialed back on effects and if that means it'll run smoother I'm all for it. This is not the kind of game I expect to push my system to its limits.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Book 2 is supposed to drop tomorrow!!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

hangedman1984 posted:

Book 2 is supposed to drop tomorrow!!
drat it Red Thread, Hotline Miami 2 comes out tomorrow, don't make me choose.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

The Sausaquences are nigh.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Jarnet posted:

The Sausaquences are nigh.

I wouldn't put it past Red Thread to have the sausage vs cheese choice be one of those slow burn ones that only manifest in Book 5. If I were part of the company, I would in fact probably insist that it is the only way to handle that one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A delay! What a surprise!

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

Until 2 pm Eastern Thursday.

Eh, not a big deal for me since I would prefer to play it over the weekend anyway.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Always curious to know more about these delays.
Like, how do they deploy a last-minute patch to Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

SpaceAceJase posted:

Always curious to know more about these delays.
Like, how do they deploy a last-minute patch to Steam?

I could be wrong, but the way that Steam distribution works is that developers issue complete builds of their game to it at any time and decide which ones are final to be made public (and which for optional beta testing). They don't actually submit patches and they don't really have to upload something at the last-minute. Just decide if an uploaded build is ready for public release. Steam will handle the patch creation from these builds, for them.

• Locked thread