Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Deal with it.

I think there's what, 2 active duty guys here plus an airdale that randomly posts in here?

Do what you want-I got memos and poo poo to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

please fill me in on the nasty rumors I hear about them centralizing SKs at area commands

Haven't heard anything, though I'm not exactly in the loop on most things. That's...interesting though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

It's been a persistent and hard to kill rumor for a long time, the idea has made it around the various SKCMs quite a bit, and was at least at the RFMC level last I knew. I had heard from a chief pal of mine that they were piloting it with YNs to see how it would work out. I'm assuming with YNs no one will notice their absence, and people will assume the same about SKs.

I predict (if it happens) absolute disaster. The only thing worse than an SK is two of them in the same room. If you remove them from commands you're not gonna get that billet back AND you will no longer have any recourse when they inevitably drop the ball for whatever reason.

I'm skeptical of the idea obviously but it's just dumb enough that I believe someone is trying to do it.

So who's gonna handle the ordering/budget/etc? Just get collateral'ed out?

The ROSE model is what worries me the most. We're losing a bunch of billets for MK's that were in the Prevention department and that's going to hurt us next year. I don't like that MK's were ever given the billet to begin with since learning how to do a port state control exam does nothing for their career development (unless they might be trying for warrant), but since we're not gonna get a body to replace them that's gonna suck. It'd be one thing if the Commands were like 'Welp, obviously we can't do the same job with 5 people that we were able to do with 8 people...They'll have to settle for less" but..........yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Most shocking thing-no new uniform items from the new COMDT yet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy poo poo that pilot. Welp.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think we need to civilianize prevention. Actual operations like SAR and LE can stay the same but inspections, waterways, planning...all that stuff needs to go the GS way of life.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So the LCDR results came out today, 67% selection. 2/3 of the people I knew going for it made it.

I'll never get the way this poo poo works. The dude that got passed over was a DCO grad (engineer type) and went to the baltimore yards for his first tour as a JG, got accepted for grad school out of there, then had to do a payback at MSC where he earned his PE cert, and then came to Houston to work in Prevention with zero quals/operational experience. He completely kicked rear end and got a bunch of quals before he went for promotion, but ultimately got passed over.

You'd think we would try to set people up for success and if they're doing everything you ask of em, they'd get promoted. Obviously I've got a ton to learn about this and the CG definitely has things figured out, just not the way I think it should.

At least he's got plenty of high paying job offers being located in Houston with his experience.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

You should look at what percentage of people passed over weren't CGA guys if you really want to get depressed.
Haha yeah-I think 'from enlisted status' was like 33%.

Though you also have to think that there's a lot of prior enlisted that commissioned with 10+ years in that don't give a gently caress about making it past LT, so that might sway the odds a tiny bit. That's not my case though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well that's a random thread title.

So a few options.

-Deal with another 11 years of complete bullshit with increasing hours every tour, shuffling around every 3-4 years, hopefully continue to get promoted along the way. With that, I get decent medical coverage for the wife and future kids, pretty awesome pay, and a retirement.

-get out and get a sweet GS job doing something related to my field. However, that's all wrapped up with mostly retired warrants and poo poo and more than likely I'd have to move back to the Gulf, so a big 'gently caress that'. Pros being I'm done moving around, make decent cash, and can still put into a retirement but I won't see it immediately.

-get out and do something else completely. Cons being I have no loving clue what I would do and I have a family to support. GI Bill isn't going to help that enough.

I think I seriously talked one of my friends out of joining the dark side yesterday. Really, unless you're doing it for the money, I see no viable reason to deal with this poo poo. The funny part is at my last unit most everyone liked being an officer. At this unit it seems completely different, at least at the O-3 and below level. Lots of miserable dudes. I think that might have to do with the fact that at the prior unit we were a lot more operationally busy, and at this one there's not enough operations to keep busy, so there's just lots of tasking and visits to keep us busy.

My family thinks I'm loving crazy for even considering to get out, simply due to medical/retirement options. "It's only 11 more years."

On the positive side, promotion message should come out this month. woop woop.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Your family is retarded and likely has zero reasonable understanding of what it is you put up with. Hell, your wife, who is with you every day probably doesn't really understand beyond "He seems unhappy."

Make your own decision, but if you do decide to get out, start networking loving now. Go back to school and throw that accounting degree away. If you want a GS job you can easily walk into one due to being a commissioned officer. Give some consideration to going somewhere that sounds poo poo for a year. You already do that anyway, it could score you a decent 11/12 slot if you play your cards right.

I told you so. Times a thousand. You should have seen this moment on the 210. The M World is different, but only just. Long hours, same salary, no incentive. No overtime, no real comp-time, no merit (cash) bonuses, no [real] early promotions.

Get the gently caress out, dude. The retirement isn't worth it since odds are you'll never get past O-4. With your experience you could probably hit GS13 in a few years, buy back your service time, and get away with a much higher retirement than you could realistically expect from the mil. Or you could go private sector and possibly make more.

If you're that hung up on the retirement I guess stay in the reserves, but don't stay active.

e: I loving told you so, man.

Nah, good points on all. I'm sure you did say those things, but I had to give it a shot. The grass is always greener.

Holy gently caress USA Jobs is confusing as poo poo if you're looking at anything outside the Coast Guard...even then, some of the CG positions seem completely foreign to anything I've seen someone doing in my experience.

I've definitely got some thinking to do. The main concern I have now is ensuring there is no lapse of time between finally getting out and getting hired on somewhere. From guys I've seen get out of the Officer corps, it seemed like it took quite a while to do it. Regardless, I obligated one year from when I got to my new unit, so I've got until at least July before I would be eligible to get out (minus terminal, etc.,) Certainly can't hurt looking now and working on the resume, though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Honestly, the best path I see right now is just making Chief and then going warrant if you can.

The only way I'd go officer is if I had over 10 years in as enlisted, because then you just have to make O-3 and you don't have to give a gently caress because you're guaranteed to hit 20 and retire. However, if you're over ten years, you should easily be a first class on your way to Chief (especially as an OS), and gently caress being a Chief going to OCS.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

This is honestly the way i'm thinking of going. Especially since they are placing OSS in Sector command centers.

Plus I can have motto as gently caress sleeve tattoos as a warrant and that would be cool as gently caress.

You can have moto as gently caress sleeve tattoos regardless of who you are, and rest assured, you will still look like a jackass.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

idgi

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maybe it's just another revision of the cuts? I'll try and check the message board today and see.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

El maligno- are you one of those Hispanic dudes with two last names?

If so you're probably making it on the first. The enlisted advancement notice came out and there's only one person pinning on OS2.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Yes I am! Thanks.

Cool-congrats! Enjoy the pay bump. Are they going to transfer you out now?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah now that I think about it- you're right. I guess I was using my experience bring transferred when I made second, but that was in 2010.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah...loving yorktown-where you hear non-rates bitching about their class advisor telling them to get a haircut. I reaaalllly missed this place.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God dammit the Internet service in yorktown is so loving horrible!!!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So they're actually increasing the tour lengths for certain billets. I don't have the message in front of me, but it was a bunch of aviation poo poo and then MST's are doing 5 years if they are at a feeder port and LT+ are doing 4 years at NCOE's instead of 3 like before (staff tour).

I never thought it would happen, just figured it was a bunch of rumors/thoughts. Five years seems like a really long time to be somewhere. I think they unit will benefit, but man are some people going to get bored/burnt out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Haha I just checked the bah tables-it's down about $150 for me next year. Normally that wouldn't be a problem since you stay grandfathered in, but since I'm promoting next December, I bump up to o-3e bah, which will still be $80 less than im making right now. Welp.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

I think you used to be able to request BAH protection in that case. No idea if that still exists. By the way I'm still planning on sending you what you had asked for.

Also I thought with the M-world there was always a huge concern about industry interference if you didn't move people relatively frequently? I remember that was definitely a thing that was brought up about ITB/Steam boats in Minnesota constantly.

Hmm, I'll have to check with the YN's about that-never even knew it was an option.

Regarding industry interference, in houston and at my current work, that isn't even touched on. We have the normal ethics training, and people always talk about civilian workers being a double-edged sword because 1) you get the longevity and someone that knows wtf is going on, but 2) you get some guys that are too cozy with industry and let poo poo slide, which makes it really hard when you're trying to do your job the right way only to be yelled at by industry saying 'that ain't how how does our inspection!!!'

Regardless, I dunno if the MST's are much of a concern anyways-they've been pushing them out of inspections so much, it's pretty ridiculous. They help officers out with inspections, but mainly facilities/waterways/pollution response.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ADM Z was here today...I like him more than Papp.

A few notes:

1) He isn't looking to cut any more billets due to budget issues; instead, he will cut operations first

2) He doesn't want BM's going for OIC review boards to stress about SK/budget stuff, the board should focus on operational items. With that, he said our Core Accounting System is antiquated and too many people have access to it. He wants to get a new system and limit the amount of people that have it and centralize location of SK's (didn't you mention this earlier, KK?)

3) He's having OPM/EPM look at more units where tours can be extended. He wants this for three reasons: 1) less hardship on families moving around 2) more technical expertise benefitting the unit (ex: you get trained as a tactical coxswain, so the unit gets an extra year out of you 3) money.

1 and 2 surprised me, as I figured this guy was going to go along with 'doing more with less', but he seems to be quite a bit different than what I remember from Papp, which is a great thing in my opinion. Granted, he could just be giving people the company line, but he's a hell of a lot more personable than Papp was...though maybe that's just because he was this old dude with no hair anywhere which kinda weirded me out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

Extending billets with training would be great, especially since some stuff, like Hvy Wx Coxswain can take a long time ontop of the normal stuff.

Completely agree. In hindsight, even though I was ready to get the gently caress out of the station after only 3 years, it was such a waste to short-tour me because I pinned on second.

Of course, it's easy to say that for some units. It's a completely different story when you're a Marine Inspector that has to do another loving year in the gulf because your quals are holding you there and your family is ready to leave you because they hate the place.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crash74 posted:

ffffffff bm erats :argh:

Should have taken the paper tests while you still had a chance. ERATS are crazy hard, even if you're given the references. Ctrl+f is your friend, but you still need to know which manual the stuff will be in.

Dunno how it works with BM tests, but if all your references are on a CD, ask the ESO if you can set up your desktop how you want it prior to taking the test and organize all the references in a way that makes sense to you.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Is ERATs the new EOCT/pracs system?

yep. Basically there are two types of test given now.

MST's do the ERAT, where everything including the test is online. There's a website which links to the different CFR's and COMDT instructions but you take the test online. The other one (RAT) is it's still a paper test, but you are given a CD with all the references on it.

The MST one sucks because it's a bank of 10000 questions or something crazy and it's never the same test (like before you had 3 versions of the test and that was it, so you could remember some questions if you sucked and had to keep taking the tests). As a result, there are generally more questions on all the tests and they are more in depth since 'YOU HAVE THE ANSWERS RIGHT THERE'. The OS one requires something like a 95% to pass so you can miss 2 or 3 questions total. Some of the MK ones were around 70% to pass.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eh who knows. Same thing comes up with containing budget resolutions for all of the military. Hopefully nothing will come of it, or at least usaa continues to pay us like they always say they will with all of DOD when it happens.

Haven't heard anything from the COC yet either, maybe next week we will if it continues.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is the coast guard still basically impossible to get into? I'm an EMT who's gonna be a firefighter in a few months and has a college degree and I'm willing to enlist instead of doing OCS because fuckit, the job market sucks dick as it is.

My credit sucks horribly, if that matters though, thanks student loans and layoffs.

E: Was trying to get police jobs for ages and kept up with the PT until a minor knee injury, if that helps at all. Also taught Krav Maga for two years and boxed for most of a decade.

See a recruiter. There was a message that came out maybe less than a year ago that was saying we're still actively recruiting amidst rumors that we are not.

The panel just met for OCS, but you can get your packet together now and be good to go before the next due date.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

We have one on board. This retard can not even remember to stand by a fire plug during a drill but is getting a command endorsement for OCS.

Perfect for the officer corps then.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

OH HAY GUYS ITS SEXUAL ASSAULT PREVENTION MONTH! GET READY FOR MANDATOR-I MEAN VOLUNTEER SDB'S, MANDATORY ALL HANDS, AND PLENTY OF OPPORTUNITIES TO TAKE A STAND!!!!!!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We didn't get the whole 'look left look right' thing, but we did get to yell "NOT IN MY COAST GUARD!" not once, but twice! :bang::bang::bang::bang:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

oh also I got voluntold to be a part of this upcoming CCTI. hooray.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

Bring some money.........

yeah, that's what I'm wondering...How much is this bullshit going to cost me? I know the dinner, but that's it.

I also liked being ordered by a Chief- "Hey, so we need you guys to be there on Monday to fill the coolers with ice and provide drinks. Thanks"

Sure, don't bother throwing in a loving Sir or please or anything like that. I forgot I completely work for you and this whole military rank thing is just gone by the wayside. I'll remember that the next time you boss around a non-rate like they're a piece of trash that deserves zero respect.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I could honestly give two shits about it, it's not like we weren't going to help him out for the start of CCTI since we're a part of it.

Apparently I was more mad about the whole thing after a few beers last night though. Oh well.

Time to crank out the loving OER-I love coming up with poo poo for a 3 month period because my boss is leaving.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

How much money did you end up losing

Not much yet, but it's just started. They're mostly doing donations and fundraisers now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Speaking of moneis there are doing a 10000 for a 6 year re-enlistment bonuses for OS and FS. I may or may not qualify :shrug:

6 years for 10,000? I remember when BM2 was an extra 20k or something to re-up. I only got 6k for four more years when I did as a BM2, and it went away right after that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Has the Coast Guard Enlisted Association always been a thing? I never heard of it as a non-rate, at my station, or on the cutter before I commissioned. Then I went to Yorktown as an Ensign and the CGEA was doing some raffle for ipads, and since then (around 2012) it seems to have taken off everywhere.

Maybe it's just the Sector life? YN's trying to feel a part of something? I get the CPOA (pay for our beers and pay for CCTI, etc), I get the wardroom (pay for people's shoulder boards and end of tour gifts and random poo poo), but I don't get the purpose of the CGEA.

On a disgruntled note, I was just going to buy all of my guys leaving oars (because apparently people at Sectors have deemed it necessary to go above just buying a loving plaque and now want to spend $100 or whatever it is on an oar for everyone), but my Chief said he wanted to do something unique, so I said 'alright, go for it-as long as everyone gets something.'

One dude got a hockey stick signed by his favorite team, and two others that are leaving in 2 weeks have nothing yet because poo poo hasn't been organized and plans have fallen through or shits late. Too late to order an oar now, and I'm going to be pissed if we end up just giving the guys (well one's a shitbird that's going to bitch about his LOC as an E-5, but the other one's an awesome first class) a framed picture or something.

I don't get this loving place. I was happy to have a nice plaque that said I was at XX unit for so many years. Apparently that's just not good enough anymore.

edit: also, CCTI is loving hilarious. There's some officers that clearly don't give a gently caress and are just checking the box, but me and another one are actually trying to help the PCPO's with poo poo and they just continue to mess stuff up. There's literally zero organization to the whole thing. "Hey, Chief-let me know where you need me and when-I want to help you guys as much as I can" "Ok, sir-thanks!" "Hey Chief, I didn't know you were fundraising today. I would have loved to help out." "Oh, sorry sir...completely forgot"

The other JO has been reaching out to Chiefs that have gone through CCTI and they're all like 'this happens every loving time. It's always a train wreck. I appreciate you trying to help, but I'm not surprised at all."

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 13, 2015

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

haha, well I'm glad my initial thoughts on the CGEA were correct.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I mean most of the time I've seen people involved in the CGEA it correlates closely to either

1) They're putting in for OCS and want something extra to put in
2) It's written all over their bullets for a marking period

The CGEA at my current unit is coming up with a loving challenge coin for crying out loud. I can't even wrap my head around that one. Like the E-6's are gonna shake hands and give a coin to an E-4 when they leave or something?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

On a separate note, there's a CAMI at my unit that was a reservist enlisted and just got picked up for SRDC a bit ago. He just found out his drill unit is going to be PSU and now he's freaking out about getting deployed. All I could say was 'welp, at least you'll be getting paid better than a GS9 for a bit...enjoy sand I guess.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well there went about $100. I was only somewhat required to give about $50 though-rest was fundraising.

Initiation was fun-dinner was actually really good, but I won't volunteer for it again.

• Locked thread