Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Today's Game

Today in Baseball History
  • 1903 - The Pittsburgh Pirates defeat the Boston Red Sox, 7-3, in the first World Series game ever played. Jimmy Sebring hits the first home run. Deacon Phillippe is the winning pitcher and Cy Young the loser.
  • 1932 - Babe Ruth, as legend has it, calls his home run against Chicago's Charlie Root in the fifth inning of Game 3 of the World Series, won by the New York Yankees, 7-5, at Wrigley Field. Ruth and Lou Gehrig each hit two homers for the Yankees.
  • 1946 - For the first time in major league history, a playoff series to determine a league's championship is played between the St. Louis Cardinals and Brooklyn Dodgers. The Cardinals take the first game, 4-2, as Howie Pollet holds the Dodgers to two hits, a homer and an RBI-single by Howie Schultz.
  • 1961 - Roger Maris hits his 61st home run against Tracy Stallard of the Boston Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. The homer eclipses Babe Ruth's 34-year-old single-season home run record. The Yankees win, 1-0.
  • 1988 - Tony Gwynn goes 2-for-3 to raise his league-leading batting average to .313 but sustains a hand injury in a 6-3 victory over the Houston Astros. Gwynn, is the first National League batting champion to win the title with an average below .320. Larry Doyle's .320 average was the lowest.
  • 1995 - The Rockies are the first team to make the postseason before their seventh year in existence; they also become the National League's first wild card winner following a 10-9 win over the Giants. Colorado's .535 percentage (77-67 record) is the best ever for a third-year team.
  • 2009 - Tony La Russa moves past John McGraw into second place for the most games managed in major league history. With his 4,770 contests as a manager, the Cardinal skipper now trails only Connie Mack, who amassed a total of 7755 during his 53 years in the dugout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floorgazer
May 7, 2007
45 minutes until the game. I feel literally sick, the Giants are gonna get slaughtered. Is it too late for them to catch a plane back to SF?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Last year's wild card: Alright, Buctober baseball! :getin:

This year's wild card: Volquez is starting against Madbum :ohdear:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Floorgazer posted:

45 minutes until the game. I feel literally sick, the Giants are gonna get slaughtered. Is it too late for them to catch a plane back to SF?
I think you are getting too worried, I mean its still Volquez pitching.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Last year's wild card: Alright, Buctober baseball! :getin:

This year's wild card: Volquez is starting against Madbum :ohdear:
Sure would have been fun having Cole or Lirano in this spot

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Welp, my body picked a bad time to require some IV treatment at the ER.

Let's Go The Bucs Bitch.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqqWbIq_qZg
:getin: :pirate:

Floorgazer
May 7, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I think you are getting too worried, I mean its still Volquez pitching.

Sure would have been fun having Cole or Lirano in this spot

I don't think I'm getting too worried, after seeing the lineup Bochy's using. Sandoval can't run, and doesn't hit anywhere near as often as he used to. It's a much different team from the one in 2012. At the very least being (possibly) eliminated will force the FO to make real decisions about some players.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I think we can all agree that the most terrible team tonight will be the ESPN Broadcast team.

E: Case in point, they just felt the need to explain why Pirates fans call it "Buctober"

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 2, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I think we can all agree that the most terrible team tonight will be the ESPN Broadcast team.
Yeah because as we in Pittsburgh know, ESPN never gives Pittsburgh sports teams their due. :argh:

Also watching that animation over again, they really need to update it with Maz's statue and Ralph Kiner's statue which is just a pair of arms holding a bat. Also holy poo poo do they gently caress up editing "O Fortuna"

E: Awww Teke hanging out in the dugout before the game

:3:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

achillesforever6 posted:

Also watching that animation over again, they really need to update it with Maz's statue and Ralph Kiner's statue which is just a pair of arms holding a bat. Also holy poo poo do they gently caress up editing "O Fortuna"

You do realize they haven't used the battleships for the past few years now?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

You do realize they haven't used the battleships for the past few years now?
Well they should bring it back :colbert:

Also I think I have some weird memory problem because I swear every once a year I go to a game I see that intro.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Go Buccos. Hail Satan.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Roasted Donut posted:

Go Buccos. Hail Satan.
No man I think this is the one time we can root for a Pittsburgh team without feeling like rooting for a dark lord. Hail Henry Morgan!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I went to bed early.

Was KC Oak any good?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

euphronius posted:

I went to bed early.

Was KC Oak any good?

Good is an understatement.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

euphronius posted:

I went to bed early.

Was KC Oak any good?

do you like bunting

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Looks like something good is cooking at Manny's

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
a lot of ghosts in Pittsburgh

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Go Buccos I am rooting for you so hard

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
LET'S GO THE BUCS

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Big wrestling fan at this game

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

:lol: ESPN thinking Pedro would be missed

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

I am so ready. Let's go Buccos. I believe.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
here's hoping for another great wild card game. With the pirates winning, obviously.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Bumgarner better watch out if he tries picking a fight with Gaby, that guy can throw a mean lariat

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Let's go Buccos!!

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Go Giants, crush the Pirates

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Boo Woodland Hills :argh:

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
It's the female Urkel

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Boo Woodland Hills :argh:

This is always correct.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

They couldn't get McCutchen's mom? :smith:

Floorgazer
May 7, 2007
Wow, the stands are very Piratey. Guess they took this blackout thing seriously, huh?
The Giants are standing there like they're about to be fired upon.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Carlton Banks posted:

Go Giants, crush the Pirates

I hate the Giants more. Go Buccos I guess.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

She's probably missing out on good tips at Fat Heads tonight by singing this lovely version of the anthem

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Pirates gon lose but lets enjoy it while we can

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pittsburgh is an absolutely amazing park if you haven't been btw

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I hate the Giants more. Go Buccos I guess.

I don't hate the Pirates, I just want a 2012 NLCS rematch so even if the Giants win, the Cards will be guaranteed to go to the WS next year

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I'm exited to see a lovely game of baseballs.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I can't imagine how it sounds there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

achillesforever6 posted:

They couldn't get McCutchen's mom? :smith:

And no Color Guard of the 911th Air Refeuling Wing and US Coast Guard?

• Locked thread