Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

I can't wait until you guys figure out that those guys who come out of the weird tar spots in the walls are pretty much invincible. If you want a rule of thumb as to when to run in this game, it's this: floaty human corpse instead of some kind of body horror monster? Cheese it. (Not a story spoiler, but I figured it merits a tag anyway.)

Seriously, I can't wait until you figure that out. Because those encounters are going to be super tedious until you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

Centralia was the main inspiration for the movie adaption, not the games. The games are more inspired by Stephen King and Twin Peaks what with the quiet mountain town in Maine setting.

I wasn't sure which it was, but I knew one of the two was inspired by Centralia, which, ironically enough, has graffiti all over it now making references to both the movies and the games

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i was legitimately impressed that you didn't just check out the bathroom that your non-spooky dream lady friend went into after beating up the maximum-spooky dogs that came out of the other bathroom and then continued to run around for whoever knows how long after you died without thinking to check the bathroom that your non-spooky dream lady friend went into that was unlocked from the second those dogs came out

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Just wanted to say I've enjoyed your Silent Hill LPs so far and I look forward to seeing y'all get through this one. Here's to a complete LP of SH4!

Puckanas
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
I wouldn't blame you guys if you decided not to finish this LP, SH4 is quite possibly one of the worst games I've ever had the displeasure of playing (I will concede that it's very atmospheric, though), with some of the very worst design decisions ever implemented in a video game, starting with those loving unbeatable ghosts and their damage aura. Here's a little piece of advice: leave that gun in the apartment, it is so useless as to be just a waste of inventory space.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I can already tell which ending you guys will get.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Puckanas posted:

I wouldn't blame you guys if you decided not to finish this LP, SH4 is quite possibly one of the worst games I've ever had the displeasure of playing (I will concede that it's very atmospheric, though), with some of the very worst design decisions ever implemented in a video game, starting with those loving unbeatable ghosts and their damage aura. Here's a little piece of advice: leave that gun in the apartment, it is so useless as to be just a waste of inventory space.

counterpoint: walk past the ghosts and barely take any damage at all because they only spawn in certain areas and the room gives free healing so you have free reign to hoard every healing item you find for later

also, the ghosts are spooky but ultimately they're dumbass vacuum cleaners that can't really do much unless you let them barring the occasional exception or two

Inriri
Apr 25, 2014
Oh boy oh boy, this is my favorite Silent Hill. A good thing to know about the combat is that when you do a fully charged up attack you're invincible during the animation. This will save your life later!

And be sure to give that bar a call!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This is one of those games that has a bunch of dumb design decisions, but gently caress if it didn't *creep me out*. The only game I remember being spooked more over was Fatal Frame.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

counterpoint: walk past the ghosts and barely take any damage at all because they only spawn in certain areas and the room gives free healing so you have free reign to hoard every healing item you find for later

also, the ghosts are spooky but ultimately they're dumbass vacuum cleaners that can't really do much unless you let them barring the occasional exception or two

They are most annoying early on--there's a particular sequence coming up that I loathe to think how K&K will handle it, it always was the most tense for me, and also aggravating.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I am really enjoying this Cough Button LP so far. You guys really capture the true experience of playing an obtuse adventure game with puzzles that don't make any sense.

I am brought fondly back to my youth, pressing A against every pixel in a room because I forgot a dialog that I read 2 hours ago.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If Link lost his grunts he would be a Silent Hylian.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 3: Subway Training
Escalator permanently broken. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

something you've most definitely noticed by now is that all of the ghosts are 'unique' in the sense that each one is at least cosmetically different from the others. some of them actually have varying speeds, and i'm pretty sure that the old lady ghost is one of the slower ones. there's one i can think of off the top of my head that's naturally fast and is hard as hell to get away from, but i think he also doesn't appear very often due to not having many spawn zones. they can be sort of a mixed bag. in general i wish that they were just a tiny bit slower overall, especially since some of the combat can already be a little tricky. there's definitely better weapons down the road, though, and one of the best ones is basically impossible to miss. (it's also not breakable. in fact, most weapons aren't breakable. i don't know why they even experimented with it in the first place because the unbreakable ones are still pretty much the best.)

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
haha, yep, the fucken rear end in a top hat escalator

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
From someone who never played any silent hills except the first one I loved all your previous lps, will be following this for sure.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cyra posted:

haha, yep, the fucken rear end in a top hat escalator

i'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea. i mean, you can bait out attacks and walk by easily enough if you're pretty careful, but there's like 2x as many wall things as there should be.

also, to the lpers, you should definitely try to hoard any and every health item you can get. the game won't start throwing insurmountable amounts of bullshit at you later on or anything, but once you get to a very certain point it's nice to have a bunch of crap stockpiled.

Jul 22, 2013

Happy New Year!
run button i am your #1 fan

i go into these silent hill games blind too, they seem a bit iffy

this one seems pretty cool, the ghost men suck though

is the escalator supposed to be some kind of metaphor?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So spooky dude, just wait until your shoes get haunted.
I couldn't wear shoes for a month after that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn't anybody else read Gordon Corman? The only Potter I want to hear about is Bugs Potter, fuckers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Escalator permanently attempting to murder dudes. Sorry for the survival horror.

Inriri
Apr 25, 2014
You can beat those monsters to death if you're so inclined. Just be sure to time fully charged attacks right.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That is probably the single biggest bullshit the game has to offer, so if you're clear of that you're more or less good.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

DeathChicken posted:

That is probably the single biggest bullshit the game has to offer, so if you're clear of that you're more or less good.

Counterpoint: The second half of the game

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Axe Master posted:

Counterpoint: The second half of the game

Rebuttal: Second half of game largely just a matter of remembering where the doors are, and running straight there. Er...not that we want to spoil much more than that.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Radio! posted:

Bar Southfield, of the same school of bar naming as Bar Neely's.

A place called Bar Louie opened in my area recently, and that's the first thing I thought of.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Rebuttal: Second half of game largely just a matter of remembering where the doors are, and running straight there. Er...not that we want to spoil much more than that.

I think I was 12 when this game came out, and I never went back to finish it after that point. Too traumatic(ally frustrating for a kid).

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 4: A Whole New World

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Good job running right past a person on a stump. I hope you talk to him later. He probably has something important to say. (I've never played this, so I don't know.)

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

19LettersLong posted:

A Whole New World

Doesn't Tommy Wiseau sing that in the shower or something? I need to reread "The Disaster Artist" soon.

Singh Long fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 18, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Here's the trailer for the new Dragonball Z game mentioned near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU2mq4oQoS8

It looks loving nuts.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Good lord that looks amazing :stonklol:

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Keith keeps saying "Asheville" instead of "Ashfield," and it's really weird for me because that's the name of the town I live in.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Davinci posted:

Here's the trailer for the new Dragonball Z game mentioned near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU2mq4oQoS8

It looks loving nuts.

This trailer is amazing. I want this guy to narrate everything, he's just so pumped.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This trailer is amazing. I want this guy to narrate everything, he's just so pumped.

The hero is Goku NO THE HERO IS YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

If you said this was made entirely by fans without any direction from anyone then I would believe it absolutely.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Both the Petes look exactly like they did in 1994, and Ellen is still hot. Bobby Budnick is bald and fat, and Ferguson has aged horribly. The Pete and Pete crew came out best of all the Nickelodeon gingers.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Davinci posted:

The hero is Goku NO THE HERO IS YOU
I thought you were making that up. Line of the century.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who hates it when it gets too warm i can sympathize with whoever didn't want the window to be closed. also, grats on getting past what was possibly the most aggravating and nonsensical segment in the game. gently caress those wall creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is the first video not playing for anyone else?

• Locked thread