Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Octuv

Once, the Maraviglia had seemed revolutionary. Such a glorious cacophany of madness, enough to strip away the inhibitions of the audience, enough to thin the veil and draw five of the Prince's children to join us in an orgy of violence and sensation. At the time, it seemed so...incredible. We thought we had found the depths of depravity when we had only scratched the surface. How ignorant we were! I can only look back upon that day with shame! Five daemonettes? Slaanesh could not have made Her meaning more clear if He had sent a note saying, 'TOLERABLE.'

One short of the Sacred Number, and the least of Her servants! And we thought it was anything but the most pitiful gesture of approval. But of course, at the time we knew little of Chaos, so our ignorance can perhaps be excused. From there, of course, we began to learn. We steeped ourselves in sound and sensation, pulverized the Loyalists to dust to feed our hunger for more. But in time, after that fool Horus's overconfidence cost us victory and forced us to retreat to the Eye, it all became...boring. Trite, predictable. Combat, to put it bluntly, became derivative. We ceased to push the limits. What was holding us back? Many claimed to know the answer, but none wanted to hear mine. The doom sirens, the sonic blasters; all of our weapons which relied solely on sound to shatter our prey? They were what limited us.

It had all become so predictable! Sonic weaponry is pure. Sonic weaponry is devastating. But when every single Astartes wields it, it ceases to be avant garde. What was once a tool of depravity becomes a chain of tradition, and how can you call yourself excessive if you only tread paths explored by others!? Sonic weaponry has its place in battle, but what orchestra relies on a single instrument? Perhaps, having once been a Librarian of our chapter, my connection to the Warp has rendered me jaded faster than my brothers, who cannot compare their music to the ultimate madness that is the depths of the Immaterium. Regardless, the Emperor's Children and our Noise Marines were stifling my creativity. Only on my own could I find a personal voice of hedonism. And found it I have.

Gaze upon my glory and despair! I have taken a simple heavy bolter and forged it into a daemon-mawed instrument to rival the shrieks of the most intoxicated Noise Marine! It mingles the roar of explosive shells with the howls of a thousand damned souls. As it tears my foes into bloody, mewling gore, it counters the pleasure of their destruction by tearing into my flesh with hungry, saw-toothed thorns. It offers a sensory overload far beyond that of a simple Blastmaster, and its intoxicating effect has only been enhanced ever since Slaanesh saw fit to reward my efforts by intermingling it with my own flesh. Now every salvo is accompanied by the feeling of red-hot internal mechanisms in action, sending waves of agony and ecstasy throughout my entire nervous system.

But despite this, I am unsatisfied, and I know why. No true artist can be satisfied until they have created their masterpiece. Slaanesh has granted me patronage; now I must create a work of sensation so extreme that tales of it will be whispered until the very last sentient being is consumed by Chaos at the end of time. Only once my ultimate work is complete will I will be worthy to be raised to Princehood, to stand at the Dark Prince's side for all eternity.

pre:
Name: Octuv
Archetype: Sorceror/Navigator
Alignment: Slaanesh 
Pride: Wealth
Disgrace: Regret
Motivation: Ascendancy

Characteristics:

WS:   30
BS:   50 (+20)
S:    30 
T:    40 (+10)
Agi:  40 (+10)
Int:  45 (+15)
Per:  40 (+10)
WP:   52 (+20 -3 Pride +5 Motivation)
Fel:  50 (+15 +5 Advance)

Wounds: 14 (15 +1 -2 Motivation)
Infamy: 52
IP: 5/5
CP: 32 (1+26 Starting +5 Disgrace)

Skills:

Acrobatics
Athletics
Awareness
Charm
Common Lore (War)
Deceive
Dodge
Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes, Daemonology, The Horus Heresy, The Long War)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Navigate (Surface)
Navigation (Warp)
Operate (Surface)
Parry
Psyniscience
Scholastic Lore (Astromancy, Occult)
Scrutiny

Talents:

Ancient Warrior
Ambidextrous
Bulging Biceps
Excessive Wealth
Favoured by the Warp
Heightened Senses (All)
Legion Weapon Training
Lightning Reflexes
Meditation
Mighty Shot
Mimic
Nerves of Steel
Quick Draw
Resistance (Heat, Cold, Poisons)
Unarmed Warrior

Psychic Powers:

PR 4

Thought Sending
Delude
Mind Probe
Precognition
Warptime

Traits/Mutations/Other:

Amphibious
Unnatural Strength (+4)
Unnatural Toughness (+4)
Psyker (Bound)
Haunted: +10 to enemy Intimidate
Slayer Limb (Heavy Bolter)
Mark of Slaanesh
Unnatural Fellowship (+2)

Gear:

Legion Power Armour
--Black Legion's Armour
-Osmotic Gill Life Sustainer
-Recoil Suppression
-Bio-Monitor and Injectors

GC Legion Power Armour (+5 Deceive)
--Scavenged Reconstruction
-Sustainable Power Source
-Auto-Senses
-Enhanced Ceramite Plating

Legion Bolter (4 Mags)
Legion Combat Knife
Legion Bolt Pistol (2 Mags)
Force Sword
BC Legion Heavy Bolter (Belt Feed, Pain Vents, Cursed Metal, Slayer Limb)
GC Shimmering Robes
GC Shrieking Soul
GC Rapturous Standard

Acquisitions:

GC Shrieking Soul (-50 Near Unique +10 Single +10 EW +20 Wealth -10 Good)

GC Shimmering Robes (-30 Extremely Rare +10 Single +10 EW -10 Good)

BC Legion Heavy Bolter w/ Belt Feed, Cursed Metal 
(-30 Extremely Rare +10 AW +10 EW +10 Single -20 Best +0 Up/Downgrade)

Pain Vents (Heavy Bolter) (-30 Extremely Rare +10 Single +10 EW)

GC Legion Power Armour (-30 Extremely Rare +10 Single +10 EW -10 Good)

GC Rapturous Standard (-30 Extremely Rare +10 Single +10 EW -10 Good)

XP Spent       5100/5100

Ancient Warrior-250		(U)
Mighty Shot-750			(N)
Charm-200			(S)
Deceive-200			(S)
Acrobatics-200			(S)
Mimic-250		        (S)
Excessive Wealth-250		(S)
Lightning Reflexes-250		(S)

--------------(Aligns Slaanesh)

Fel +5-100			(S)
PR 3-750			(U)
PR 4-750			(U)
Warptime-400			(U)
Favoured by the Warp-750	(T)
Wounds, Infamy 1, 1 :smith:
Power Armor Customization: 10 oh what the hell rng
Power Armor 2 Customization: 1

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Oh, there's where my luck was hiding. Literally couldn't have asked for better mutation rolls for what I've got in mind.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Will it still take a half action to draw it/put it away, or can I do that as a free action since it's pretty much just a matter of raising/lowering one arm? I would like to take slayer limb since it's pretty thematic, but infinite ammo isn't super necessary with a belt feed, so unless I can get some kind of concrete benefit out of it I can't justify gimping myself with a slayer limb when I could take additional limb to have a free hand while firing it or mechanoid to make up for my fragility.

Actually gently caress being a whiny bitch about it, I'm taking slayer limb no matter what your answer is.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 21, 2015

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hey, it's fairer than a horde of servo-skulls with frag grenades.

e: Oh, incidentally, once we finish up with faking our own deaths, can I start trying to elevate my slayer limb heavy bolter to a Legacy Weapon? Not like I can put a daemon in the thing (safely).

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 2, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Werix posted:

If i put you up against necron or dark eldar, they don't really have any psykers or daemons that could touch those things.

Necrons have Canoptek Wraiths in the Tome of Fate.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Aaaaanyway:

How about instead of risking them shutting down the plant by blowing a few charges early, I just use Thought Sending's "indiscriminate broadcast" setting to send everyone within 4 kilometers a nice little Chaos spiel about how we've seized the power plant, their leaders have failed them, prepare to die, etc. Throw in some imagery of 8-pointed stars and Space Marines atop mounds of corpses, season with evil laughter to taste.

If that doesn't get everyone running outside in a panic (and into our guns) nothing will. Plus it'll probably incite panic and rioting around the plant, maybe even set off a few latent psykers down in the hive, and generally further the impression that the planet's current government is a failure and they should definitely vote for our benefactor. Win-win.

I'm doing this regardless of whether or not it would work, by the way.

e: And I doubt it'll happen, but if we get a chance to take the Inquisitor alive and drag her into the water with us, that'd be quite a prize to take away from this planet. Especially since I have Mind Probe. Assault on Watch Fortress Erioch, anyone?

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 6, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Nah, avoiding that is exactly why I want to make sure we lure them here so that the Inquisitor and pals end up dead and/or tied to a chair on our ship. Bossman should get elected soon, and if they're alive and poking around for more Chaos that risks them figuring out what really happened.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I just realized that I forgot to adjust the extra damage from Mighty Shot to reflect my new BS bonus with the Unnatural Ballistic Skill from Warptime, so I dealt an extra +2 damage per shot to the Chimera, which means 53 damage total after armor. It's dead as hell.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
But hey, as a Slaaneshi, you take a whole -1 damage when in LoS of my Rapturous Standard!

So there'll probably be enough left to bury, is what I'm saying.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Finding a closer heir and corrupting them sounds good, as does tracking her down and corrupting her. I mean, Octuv's a big smashy marine but he's also a Slaaneshi with access to Mind Probe and Delude. We don't necessarily have to be completely subtle about this; we can track her down, do a smash-and-grab, spend a week with her tied to a chair while we play Good Cultist/Bad Cultist until her brain snaps, then have her "escape" her kidnappers.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Speaking of needing to invest in Fearless...

Anyway, I don't know why that characteristic thing wasn't clicking for me. I even double checked it to make sure it wasn't that, and yet it just didn't get through my skull. Post edited. Gorsha's probably about to have a bad day.

Edit: Wait, poo poo, hosed it up again, gotta fix it. Fixed. Forgot the Full-Auto penalty, ended up scoring more hits on the reroll anyway.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 8, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hey, one more weapon for me to completely abuse. Thank you, Unnatural Characteristics.

Well, thank you assuming I survive the incoming Bloodletter curbstomping.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
BC Core, page 208. In classic FFG fashion, it's wedged awkwardly into the middle of a wall-of-text section and it isn't really related to anything else around it. And now that I look at it again it's actually Profane Symbols, but I don't think me loving up the name is the problem here.

Anyway, I didn't look at people's characteristics, I just glanced through cheese and viva's skills list. Probably better to let viva do the sneaking in that case, even untrained. Pretty sure somebody has a cameleoline cloak he can borrow.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Nope. It was probably intended to be a talent at some point, since it's in the same section that describes Blasphemous Incantation, Corpus Conversion, and Sacrifice rules, but I think even FFG realized that nobody would pay experience to be the party buff monkey in this system, especially not when it takes six rounds to cast one power on someone.

e: Although now that I think about it, it might be decent to turn a Greater Minion into your own personal psychic buff monkey. Phase, Flyer, Daemonic, Psyker and Soul-Bound, then spend most of the talents on PR and one or two powerful buffs. Have it apply them at the start of every day, then float around behind you sulking quietly. It's your own personal hamadrya. Psychic buffs to the same stat don't stack, but there's a lot of secondary buffs that are interesting but not-quite-worth it when you'd be directly sustaining them alongside several other buffs. Host of Fiends and/or Flesh Mould come to mind. And even a non-psyker could definitely use a companion like this, just give it one of the buffs that are always great, like Warptime, Celeritous Sense, Inviolable Flesh, or Flicker.

Aren't psykers fun, Werix? :v:

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 14, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
-snip-

imdumb

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 23, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Apologies, I will redirect my passive-aggressive grumbling to the correct depository.

I think Viva's the best candidate but I dunno, I'll have to check.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
You're a hell of a lot better about updates than I am, which counts for something.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I think everybody was waiting on the dude with 60 agility and a jetpack to solve all our problems since nobody else could possibly make it 30 meters in 2 rounds without having to run and eating a giant penalty.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Can we at least get like a cost-benefit analysis on siding with the different princes, because I don't even know who any of these guys are.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Do all of those things, especially the free invulnerable saves. My dalliances with running 40k games taught me that doing combat RAW in PBP format is pure agony, so kudos to you for even making it this far.

And yeah, right now WanG Chaos really isn't deep enough for running super fancy top-level Chaos dudes like us. It'd work well for a game about scrubby cultists trying to slowly but surely poison a world against the Imperium. Top-level Chaos dudes who carry around so many unholy artifacts they forget most of them half the time, not so much.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I actually wouldn't mind rolling back the power level a bit and making new characters who work for the existing ones. Octuv's pretty much on the victory lap at this point.

If we continue with our characters, though, I'd rather just stick with "here's a few job options, choose one" stuff from the various princes. I don't have any strong opinions on them and I think this kind of game generally works better when the GM presents you with paths to take.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
If we roll back in BC, I'd say enough to buy advanced archetypes. The sweet spot for the FFG systems, at least for me, is that point where you really start being able to define your character's role, but you still have a long way to go.

That being said, weird as it sounds, I know from experience that Atomic Robo FATE actually works okay for 40k. Waci ran a Spikegame in it and, yeah, it didn't get anywhere for obvious reasons, but the actual system and the way it handles gear and powers is legitimately good. You basically just reskin and rewrite abilites suggested by the book, and it all has point values. It's simple and it's fast, and it kinda feels like MHR except without all the janky dice-pool assembly.

But really, I'm fine sticking with the original. Black Crusade's a favorite for a reason, janky and broken as it can get.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Werix posted:

Okay, the way I'm leaning right now is this:

Game system: FFG Black Crusade

Exp level: likely enough for advanced archetypes +500-1k exp. Use corruption and infamy values from like page 25 of the core book for advanced starts.

Where I am also hanging at is group make up. One of the lessons I've learned the last 6 years is that mixed groups are difficult to GM, especially with combat. So I am NOT going to do a mixed group. So either you're all humans or all marines. I am leaning making you all humans, as there is more variety in what you can be and do, but I can be persuaded if most of you want to do marines.

Things are still way early stage, but given Aethun is Alpha Legion, gave your current party the ship, and Corvax is Alpha Legion, I am leaning towards everyone in the group being human Alpha Legion infiltrators. Are you working for Aethun? Has Corvax called in Legion favors to have you come in and root out Aethun loyalists? Has the greater Legion gotten sick of Aethun and/or Corvax not pulling the party line and sent you in to observe and report? All three? It would still mostly be the group doing missions on behalf of your current PCs, with added dead drops and paranoia.

I'm down for humans only.

I like the idea of being from the greater Alpha Legion or from any of the four princes. Hell, you could have people decide who sent them and have a situation where the entire party are spies for different people. We're there to observe and report since our original PCs are now a rogue element that clearly aren't interested in directly siding with any of the four princes except so far as it furthers their own plans.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
We could ditch the infiltrator angle and just be a general hodgepodge of people attracted from across the Vortex to serve the newest and hottest warlords on the block, if that's the problem. I'm more enthusiastic about humans than CSMs, though.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Humans, yep.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Are we doing point buy or rolling stats? And if we roll stats, are we doing 9#2d10+25 drop lowest or doing the riskier reroll method from RAW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Polix Grimm, Butcher of Q'Sal

Q'sal is built on a foundation of blood and souls. Whenever one of the cities opens to trade, aspiring warlords from across the Vortex swarm there with all the slaves they can afford. In the Pits of Kurse, Polix had been a rising star, on the verge of purchasing his freedom. But Surgub opened its gates, a Pirate Prince offered his owners great riches in return for the mightiest souls they had, and so he ended up in chains on Q'sal. It might have ended there if not for the intervention of the Alpha Legion. In the night before he was to be sacrificed, a power blade was slipped into the bars of his cage by a shadowy figure that simply said, "Do what comes naturally, Polix."

If the sorcerer had been less prideful, perhaps he would've double-checked his sacrifice's bonds to ensure they were still intact. At the climax of the ritual, as the sorcerer raised his aetheme, Polix revealed his own blade and slashed the psyker's throat in one smooth motion. The reversal of fortune completed the ritual, albeit not in the way it was intended, and the daemon that was called forth and channeled into a daemon engine was a Khornate instead. The bindings were intended for a Tzeentchi, and did nothing to prevent the machine from turning on the psykers that surrounded it. In the confusion and chaos that followed, Polix rampaged through the facility, cutting down every Q'salian in his path and freeing slaves. He and those he freed scattered into the depths of the city. The sorcerers were reluctant to follow. Height above the ground was synonymous with authority and power in Surgub, and thus the lower areas of the city were a place for weaklings and fools. The death of the daemon-engine creator and most of his servants had created a power vacuum in the upper city, and no sorcerer was willing to chase down a few hundred slaves and sacrifice his own chance to jockey for position. And really, how much damage could non-psykers cause?

831 dead psykers later, they realized their mistake. The Khornates that had escaped into their city were difficult to track with psychic powers, had no fear of death, and considered any chance to kill Tzeentch worshipers a high honor. Rumors began to circulate about the Butcher of Q'sal. They said he had disarmed bodyguards and warriors, adding their warp-powered weaponry to his own without hesitation. They said he was blessed by Khorne, and his crackling power blade cut through anything with supernatural ease, even as the overtuned power generator of the weapon singed the flesh of his hand. And there were rumors of others lurking in the shadows who ensured the Khornate rebels were always a step ahead of their hunters.

It all ended in time, of course. Most of the slaves were hunted down, and examples were made. Soon only Polix remained. He would have perished too had a blue-and-green Astartes not gunned down a Screamer sent to hunt him. The Space Marine extended one hand. "I offer a reward for your service," he boomed. "I am Alpharius. My work here is done, as is yours. I could leave you to perish, but you have potential. Will you follow me and serve a higher cause?"

Polix shrugged. "I care not how the blood flows, only that it continues to. Point me at a target and its head is yours." The Marine laughed and motioned for him to follow. There was work to be done.

quote:

Name: Polix Grimm
Archetype: Renegade
Alignment: Khorne
Pride: Wealth
Disgrace: Destruction
Motivation: Vengeance

Characteristics:

WS: 51 (18 +3 Archetype +5 Advance)
BS: 45 (17 +3 Archetype)
S: 40 (15)
T: 40 (15)
Agi: 42 (17)
Int: 25
Per: 30 (10 -5 Motivation)
WP: 30 (8 -3 Pride)
Fel: 21 (-4 Disgrace)

Wounds: 14 (10 +2 +2 Motivation)
Infamy: 42 (19 +1 +15 Archetype +2 Disgrace +5 Advance)
IP: 4/4
CP: 25 (+25 Archetype)

Skills:

Athletics
Awareness
Common Lore (Screaming Vortex, Tech, War)
Dodge +20
Intimidate
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Medicae
Operate (Aeronautica)
Parry
Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis)
Stealth
Trade (Armourer)

Talents:

Ambidextrous
Blademaster
Catfall
Crippling Strikes
Double Team
Exotic Weapon Training (Q'Sal Crystal Caster)
Jaded
Hip Shooting
Lightning Attack
Quick Draw
Marksman
Rapid Reload
Resistance (Psychic Powers)
Sidearm
Swift Attack
Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee, Ranged)
Weapon Training (Chain, Las, Primary, SP, Flame, Bolt, Power)

Traits/Mutations/Other:

Brutal Charge (4)
The Quick and the Dead
Unnatural Strength (+2)

Adroit (WS)

Multiple Limbs (3)
Mark of Khorne

Gear:

Q'Sal Crystal Caster (RDLS)
GC Power Blade (Storm Field)
GC Boltgun
Bolt Pistol
Power Mace
Light Power Armor
--Remnants of Mutation (Additional Limb)
-Sustainable Power Source
-Auto-Senses
-Osmotic Gill Life Sustainer
-Helmet Augmentations (Preysense, Rebreather, Photovisor, Voxcaster, Microbead)
Light Carapace
Medikit
Dataslate (Annotated Tactica Imperialis)

Acquisitions:

GC Power Blade w/ Storm Field (-20 Very Rare +20 Wealth +10 Single -10 GC -10 Upgrade)
Q'sal Crystal Caster w/ RDLS (-10 Rare +10 Single -10 Upgrade)
Light Power Armor (-20 Very Rare +10 Single)
GC Jump Pack (-10 Rare -10 GC +10 Single)
GC Helmet Augmentations (-10 Rare -10 GC +10 Single)

XP Spent 5600/5600

Infamy +5-500
Ambidextrous-250
Exotic Weapon Training (Q'sal Crystal Caster)-500
Two-Weapon Wielder (Ranged)-500
Dodge +20-500
Weapon Skill +5-250
Crippling Strikes-500
---Aligns Khorne (3000)---
Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee)-500
Sidearm-750
Swift Attack-300
Lightning Attack-400
Blademaster-400
Weapon Training (Power)-250
Wounds, Infamy, Power Armor Customization (Extra dice in case of Astartes results): 1d5 2 1d5 1 3#1d10 9 5 4

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 1, 2019