Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It's Gundam's 35th anniversary this year, and series creator, Yoshiyuki Tomino is back for his first major production since Turn A Gundam in 1999!

Set after the Universal Century (Original Gundam, Zeta, Char's Counterattack, and more recently, Unicorn) and in the new Reguild Century, specifically RC 1014, it follows the story of Bellri Zenam, a member of the Capital Guard, a military group in charge of protecting the orbital elevator, Capital Tower. Since it's Gundam, a troupe of space pirates attack the tower, and Zenam finds himself taking control of a highly advanced mobile suit called the G-Self.

Zenam, along with the G-Self embark on a journey with the space pirates to discover the truths of the Reguild Century...

CHARACTERS

Bellri Zenam
Pilot of the G-Self and pilot prodigy from the Capital Guard.

Aida Rayhunton
Original pilot of the G-Self, space pirate, and female lead. Probably the love interest of Bellri, hopefully it'll go better than most other Gundam romances.

Why should I bother?
It's a Gundam series directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino, the last series he had this much involvement in was Turn A, which is regarded by much of the fanbase as the best series. That alone has built up a great deal of excitement in the fanbase.

Also this is a thing that happens in it.

Am I going to need to watch Universal Century Gundam to enjoy this?
From the looks of things, no. While it is set after Universal Century, this is at least 2000 years later, so it should be able to stand on its own. That being said, you should still watch Universal Century Gundam productions. In fact, Tomino, being the wacky guy that he is, has outright said that this series is not meant for fans of UC Gundam, but for the children of fans of UC to enjoy.

When is this airing?
It begins on October 4th, and will run for 25-26 episodes.

Preview Videos!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_kQZLb64E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJu_Sx6lGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ByoabdSRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN3KN5Xlo8U

Gundam megathread if you have any questions regarding other series
Gunpla thread if you have questions about the wave of models this series will bring about.
Here's the thread for Build Fighters Try.
For the first time, two Gundam series will be airing at the same time, this alongside Gundam Build Fighters Try, the sequel to last year's surprisingly fun series. Most likely, it's Bandai hedging their bets, so even if Reconguista fails, Build Fighters Try will get them a good amount of cash as Build Fighters did last year.

EDIT: Hey, guess what? As of 2/26/15, or about 22 episodes into the series, Gundaminfo's finally uploading episodes on YouTube for everyone to see! Check out the playlist here, and if you haven't had a chance to get into this series, do it, it's turning out to be one of the better series.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Eureka Seven designs are pretty cool.

Anyway good or bad this'll definitely be interesting so it'll be fun to watch.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well it should be entertaining either way, and I home it turns out good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Turn A was my favorite Gundam series so I've got high hopes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yay, Gangsta in Reconquista! My favorite two Gundam shows are Turn A and Mobile Fighter G, so let's see how this one goes.

So, is old man Death Tomino mad about something beyond the sameness of performances by most VA's and the stubbornness old-school fans display at the the drop of a hat?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I passionately love every suit design that's been unveiled so far. I'm going to be drowning in Gunpla kits this season between G-Reco and Build Fighters Try.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
You instantly can recognise the designs of Kenichi Yoshida when you look at the preview material, that makes me very happy!

Lets hope that the series has as much substance as it does style.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Been quite a few years since Tomino has directed anything, and over a decade since his last tv series.

Following a Tomino show weekly for the first time ever is gonna be a neat ride.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I am so pumped for this. If nothing else, the visuals look amazing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So hype.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Srice posted:

Been quite a few years since Tomino has directed anything, and over a decade since his last tv series.

Following a Tomino show weekly for the first time ever is gonna be a neat ride.

That (besides some great mech designs) is what I'm excited for. I can't wait to see which Tomino we get.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering all the pics and gifs shown so far (especially that eyecatch!) I feel like it's gonna be the light-hearted, whimsical sort of Tomino show.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Will this air on GundamInfo or something else online at all?

Very excited!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Srice posted:

Considering all the pics and gifs shown so far (especially that eyecatch!) I feel like it's gonna be the light-hearted, whimsical sort of Tomino show.

I'm not betting on a Classic Tomino Murderfest but keep in mind that Ideon doesn't look all that dark either if you just go by character designs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

I'm not betting on a Classic Tomino Murderfest but keep in mind that Ideon doesn't look all that dark either if you just go by character designs.

The first episode had that pre-airing awhile back and there are pics and gifs from it so that's what I'm mainly working from, not the character designs.

Meanwhile, there's a fair amount of death in that first Ideon episode!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

mr. stefan posted:

Same with Victory Gundam. The characters look really cartoony and it has crazy motorcycle battleships and beam helicopters.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

mr. stefan posted:

That said, I expect generally something with the tone of Turn A or Gainer

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
The MS designs we've seen so far...

Grimoire

Montero

G Arcane

Recten

Hecate

Elf Brook

Elf Bull

Jahanam

Catsith

karlor fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 2, 2014

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Will this air on GundamInfo or something else online at all?

Very excited!

I don't think there's anything yet. Apparently crunchyroll at an anime con q&a said they were working on it? But right now there's nothing official.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Not Dave posted:

That said, I expect generally something with the tone of Turn A or Gainer

I'm hoping for an unexpected return to Brain Powerd Tomino just for sheer :wtf: factor. Plus, the world needs more theme songs about boning.

Edit: Word on the tubes is that the maiden broadcast was delayed by women's volleyball. The nerd rage is almost as hilarious. :v:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 2, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

John Carstairs posted:

I'm hoping for an unexpected return to Brain Powerd Tomino just for sheer :wtf: factor. Plus, the world needs more theme songs about boning.

We really don't need more Brain Powerd. We really, truly don't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like it might not be going up on GundamInfo, All the Anime in the UK just announced they have the streaming rights here, so there's a good chance another company took the US rights.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Well, anyone who thought the Grimoires look cool is probably not going to be disappointed. :v:

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
These designs are giving me a virtual on vibe.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Sakurazuka posted:

Looks like it might not be going up on GundamInfo, All the Anime in the UK just announced they have the streaming rights here, so there's a good chance another company took the US rights.

Interestingly, they're *not* using Wakanim, but rather Vimeo on Demand. 48 American dollars (~£30) up front for HD downloads of the whole season, first episode is free (and up now). Good news: no time limit on the downloads, and it's straight cash, none of this "credits" bullshit. [Edit] Free(er) streams are planned on other platforms (this probably means Netflix, but currently TBC).

It'll be interesting to see how well it does for them.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 2, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's nuts how 80's this feels.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Delusibeta posted:

Interestingly, they're *not* using Wakanim, but rather Vimeo on Demand. 48 American dollars (~£30) up front for HD downloads of the whole season, first episode is free (and up now). Good news: no time limit on the downloads, and it's straight cash, none of this "credits" bullshit. [Edit] Free(er) streams are planned on other platforms (this probably means Netflix, but currently TBC).

It'll be interesting to see how well it does for them.

Should be noted that the first episode on this site appears to be region-free (or at the very least not limited to the UK), I'm in the US and can watch it just fine.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I haven't watched a Gundam series since the Turn A simulwatch.

It's time to go back. :allears:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are a few nods to Turn A and other stuff in that first episode but the good news is, if you've never seen any of them then you don't have to worry because they're not important references or anything. The few things from Gundam stuff that actually matter are briefly explained.

As for that first episode itself, it's definitely a Tomino show! The odd Tominoisms in the dialogue are gonna be a love it or hate it thing with a lot of people, but I'm down with it.

I wouldn't say it's exactly like King Gainer but the trailers certainly weren't lying, the show is light-hearted, colorful, and a little bit whimsical. People bring up the Tomino shows where most of the cast die but a lot of folks forget that he can do a drat good job with his shows that don't end with a lot of death.

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 2, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Srice posted:

Should be noted that the first episode on this site appears to be region-free (or at the very least not limited to the UK), I'm in the US and can watch it just fine.

I'm not able to mess with it at all, and I'm US.:shrug:

Nevermind I'm an idiot.:downs:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Srice posted:

As for that first episode itself, it's definitely a Tomino show! The odd Tominoisms in the dialogue are gonna be a love it or hate it thing with a lot of people, but I'm down with it.

"Because the world is not square!"

Yeah. Yeah, it sure is.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The bald wizard is back and I couldn't have been happier with the results.

Srice posted:

I wouldn't say it's exactly like King Gainer but the trailers certainly weren't lying, the show is light-hearted, colorful, and a little bit whimsical. People bring up the Tomino shows where most of the cast die but a lot of folks forget that he can do a drat good job with his shows that don't end with a lot of death.
I think that has a lot to do with the fact that Gainer wasn't scripted by Tomino like the first episode of Reco is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I can't get over how hilariously dumb looking the main character's little capri pants are.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...Yeah this is feeling like the first time I watched King Gainer. Not just in how upbeat it is atmosphere wise, but also there's a lot of stuff that evidently the cast knows, but we don't really get explained in the first episode proper. Like, I can see a lot of this stuff happening, but piecing together the context is gonna be a bit of an exercise. Here's hoping we get at least one or two straightforward answers though, unlike another mecha series that aired this year.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Holy crap this show is gonna be fabulous as hell. Wow.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Did they air the first 2 episodes in a row tonight?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pyronic posted:

Did they air the first 2 episodes in a row tonight?

Seems that way. I sure ain't complaining.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shinjobi posted:

I'm not able to mess with it at all, and I'm US.:shrug:

Nevermind I'm an idiot.:downs:

Uh, what kind of wizard secret did you end up doing to get it working in the US? Still says "not in your region, chump" for me.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

So what I'm getting from this is that Tomino really wants to direct a broadway musical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd post my opinions, but basically Astro Nut said all I wanted. Except one thing.

Bell's cool. He's so happy and actually competent. Random "it's stuff like this that causes wars" comment non-withstanding (though it was the most Tomino moment in the whole thing), dude's kept a smile and just went with the flow the whole episode. If he stays with this frame of mind, he might become one of my favourite protagonists.

Only thing that saddens me is that we have space pirates but probably won't have any references to the already-existing UC space pirates. C'mon, throw the Crossbone Vanguard a...err...bone.

XboxPants posted:

Uh, what kind of wizard secret did you end up doing to get it working in the US? Still says "not in your region, chump" for me.

It's weird, it was avaliable in my region (Argentina, which usually gets nothing) before, but now it isn't.

• Locked thread