Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
When Gundam Build Fighters was announced last year, everyone's reaction was a flat what. People were sure it was going to be a cynical cash grab, and basically all conversation about it was tinged with a tone of "this is probably going to be Gundam AGE mkII." And all you need to know about AGE is that it was bad.

Then it came out. And while it was definitely a cash grab, it sure as hell wasn't cynical. It definitely had its share of problems, but it was so overwhelmingly earnest about how much it wanted you to buy toys that it ended up being the most well-received Gundam show since… I want to say Turn A (1999)? Maybe 00 (2007). It's been a while since more people liked than hated a Gundam show is what I'm trying to say. So naturally everyone was wondering if there would be a second season, and come May 2014 Sunrise came through with a sequel: Gundam Build Fighters Try.

It's been seven years since Build Fighters, and the popularity of Gunpla Battle has only continued to grow. Yet Seiho Academy, the school the last protagonist attended, didn't exactly jump on the trend. There's only one member in the school's Gunpla Battle Academy, and the upcoming All-Japan Gunpla Battle Championship requires teams of three. So said member decides it's high time to go on a recruitment drive.

Which brings us to this guy, Sekai Kamiki. He's a new transfer student (of course) who up until recently has been traveling the world with his master. He practices Jigen Haoh martial arts (something like Dimensional Ruler), and is set to pilot the Build Burning Gundam. Which, incidentally, has no relation to the Burning/God Gundam beyond the fact it punches things.

Number two on the "probably shanghaied into joining" list is Yuuma Kousaka, the younger brother of the previous series' love interest. He used to be an avid Gunpla Battler, but for whatever reason quit. Now he's more focused on the building portion of the hobby, and prior to the series he won an Artistic Gunpla Contest. He pilots the Lightning Gundam, which is probably the winner for Most Unexpected Design because come on, the Re-GZ?

Last, and hopefully not least, is Fumina Hoshino. She's the aforementioned only member of the Seiho Academy Gunpla Battle club, and apparently the only one who actually likes Gundam. She pilots the Winning Gundam, as well as the Powered GM Cardigan. Build Fighters had a pretty lovely track record with its female characters, but maybe Fumina will break the trend. I just know somebody is going to quote that and make a witty comment.

Oh and there's also this guy. He rules.

Other characters have been announced, but I didn't go into that much detail in the Build Fighters thread and I'm not going to do it here either.

What the hell, this doesn't sound like Gundam at all!

Nope, that's what Reconguista in G is for.

Is this show going to suck?

Who knows! Sunrise has a terrible track record in second seasons, and there's apparently going to be a greater executive presence this time around thanks to the first series' success. The writer is still Yosuke Kuroda, but now the director is now Shinya Watada. He's the guy behind 08th MS Team, Gundam UC episode 4, and Memories of Eden, which were… um… alright, I guess. As far as I know this is his first time directing a weekly series, so let's see how it goes!

Is the same guy on music?

Yes.

Oh thank god.

Yeah, I'm relieved too. This time Yuuki Hayashi is working with Asami Tachibana, who has pretty much worked with him on every other one of her projects. I'm looking forward to the OST.

Why should I watch this?

Because let's face it, if you watched Build Fighters, there is no way in hell you're not watching this.

I'd make a comment about cameos, but I'm still amazed Build Fighters proved me wrong about G-Savior.

What can you tell me about plastic crack?

There's a thread for the hobby. Build Fighters saw a huge influx of posters, so nowadays we're regularly on page 1! Don't be afraid to post, we're all in this ridiculous money sink together.

When is this show starting?

The show is scheduled to start October 8th. We don't know who's on the OPs, but I'm gonna guess BACK-ON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wonder if we'll get an Old Guard vs New Generation match.

Edit: Goodbye, old thread. You were great.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 17, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They're gonna be putting this on the official GundamInfo youtube, right? Like season 1?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It was mentioned last thread that the directors are aware of the hugely positive reception to the stand out best episodes from last season, so let's all hope that they get why those episodes were popular. The Lightning Gundam looks like a sniper, so dare I hope for a Bloodhounds 2?

And please don't get sidelined, Fumina and Sazaki's sister.

Edit: A funny thought also just occurred to me. Everyone ended up pretty happily paired off at the end of season 1, except Mr. Ral. Maybe the love comedy joke mentioned in the latest trailer will be real and about him :allears:.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 2, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If this show kicks even half as much rear end as Build Fighters, it could likely be the best show of the season.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I hope Build Burning kung fus a Neo Zeong kit at somepoint. Kung fu the gently caress out of it, robot.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're gonna be putting this on the official GundamInfo youtube, right? Like season 1?

GundamInfo confirmed they will be streaming this. And it looks like the first OP will be by BACK-ON again.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

chumbler posted:

And please don't get sidelined, Fumina and Sazaki's sister.

I want to believe but :(

I'm at least hoping Fumina will get a few cool fights.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
So since they already pulled out goddamn G-Savior, bets on the most obscure cameo this time around?

Gaia Gear? Gunboy-Wilbur (or anything from For the Barrel)? ...Ganota popping up in the background?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I expect (even if it's a background event) a team with a Dendrobium, Neo Zeong and Perfect Zeong. and I want this to come true. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

I expect (even if it's a background event) a team with a Dendrobium, Neo Zeong and Perfect Zeong. and I want this to come true. :colbert:

I'm hoping for a custom HGBF Neo Zeong kit myself :munch:. Just to see if Bandai really are that insane.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh man, I hope the soundtrack is as good or even better than last season's. It's hard to beat ~Three/Six Times the Passion of Ordinary Flamenco~, but I have faith.

Hopefully there are some A Meijin jokes as well :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zedd posted:

Neo Zeong, Perfect Zeong, Great Zeong.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

StrifeHira posted:

So since they already pulled out goddamn G-Savior, bets on the most obscure cameo this time around?

Gaia Gear? Gunboy-Wilbur (or anything from For the Barrel)? ...Ganota popping up in the background?

Doozy Bots cameo.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope the reason they made this season about a team competition was so they had an excuse to make more crazy and obscure custom kits like the Ez8.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StrifeHira posted:

I want a Gaia Gear kit so much. :(

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Doozy Bots cameo.

Just a kid in a wheelchair using a Guntank

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Really looking forward to the show if they do three way fights right it could be fanastic.

Also have to disagree with the op, when S1 was announced my reaction was "Hell yeah." Though this may be because I really liked gunpla builders (I have not taste).

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
I hope the knockoff models from the finale of last season return, they were so charmingly generic after seeing so many beautifully customized suits.

Even better if they made models of them. They could come in packs of three with three inner frames and a random assortment of heads/arms/weapons :shepspends:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Literally The Worst posted:

I hope Build Burning kung fus a Neo Zeong kit at somepoint. Kung fu the gently caress out of it, robot.

If that's the case Nils will have to show up in the Sengoku Astray with the Power Loader kitted out to look like a larger Astray.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kanos posted:

Neo Zeong, Perfect Zeong, Great Zeong.

That thing looks like it ate an Aspalus.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

The only correct answer is Gigantis. :colbert:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

If that's the case Nils will have to show up in the Sengoku Astray with the Power Loader kitted out to look like a larger Astray.

Sengoku Zeong vs Build Burning. This must happen.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

StrifeHira posted:

The R-Jarja knockoff definitely came out of left field, but I'm not complaining.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

The only correct answer is Gigantis. :colbert:

The stealth Ideon model we didn't know we always wanted.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ethiser posted:

The stealth Ideon model we didn't know we always wanted.
SRW Build Fighters. The big bad is a RG Space Runaway Ideon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kuroyama posted:

GundamInfo confirmed they will be streaming this.

Looks like they've already got a playlist page set up for Build Fighters Try. Says the first episode will air at 8pm Japan time on the 8th, and that the video should be up the following Wednesday.

So goddamn hype for this. :allears: :munch:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm hoping for a custom HGBF Neo Zeong kit myself :munch:. Just to see if Bandai really are that insane.

They better loving not.

I don't have room for a second.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They better loving not.

I don't have room for a second.

The gently caress is this? You're not even displaying it with the booster legs? It's like you're trying to keep it looking moderately reasonable. For SHAME! :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The gently caress is this? You're not even displaying it with the booster legs? It's like you're trying to keep it looking moderately reasonable. For SHAME! :colbert:

That's a five foot tall bookshelf. It literally doesn't fit with the booster legs on. It's tall enough that the shoulders are almost to the ceiling, and I don't have anywhere else to put it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

That's at least $70 of the value you aren't using. A shameful dickeye.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

That's a five foot tall bookshelf. It literally doesn't fit with the booster legs on. It's tall enough that the shoulders are almost to the ceiling, and I don't have anywhere else to put it.

Saw off the bottom half of the bookcase, duh.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Just use them as water bottles.

Ethiser posted:

I hope the reason they made this season about a team competition was so they had an excuse to make more crazy and obscure custom kits like the Ez8.

The thread title was almost Three Times the Merchandise.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sasaki's sister has Gyan shields for hair pieces :allears:

I also found this while looking for that

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sasaki's sister has Gyan shields for hair pieces :allears:

Gundanium Gyan Runner?

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I always dreamed of being a GYANSTAR! :downs:

I also love that the school academy or whatever that Sazaki's sister and her friends go to has literally M'quve's outfit for their unifroms.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

I still can't work out, is Sazaki's sister also the one who was fangirling over him in the epilogue of BF or was that some other random girl?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

Sengoku Astray Powered with 150m sword or bust :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ActionZero posted:

I still can't work out, is Sazaki's sister also the one who was fangirling over him in the epilogue of BF or was that some other random girl?

I think its this girl but her hair color doesn't match. She's grown a lot in the last 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think its this girl but her hair color doesn't match. She's grown a lot in the last 7 years.

Yeah going from like 8 to 15 will do that to literally anyone.

• Locked thread