Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I tried nanowrimo a few years ago and never finished, so I'm trying again, though I started a little late (yesterday), so I'm going to just end late (Dec 2nd).

My story is a young adult modern fantasy story about a girl who moves into a small mid-western town, and she meets a boy who's actually a wood sprite. I have no idea unfortunately what the conflict of the story will be.

Fortunately, I was an hour early to work because of me being confused about the time, so that let me write furiously about 700 words to start my story. Unfortunately, it's now day 2 for me, and I still need to write about 4,000 words to catch up.

Has anyone else have an idea for a story's setting/characters but no conflict? Any good ideas for trying to figure what the conflict should be?

Edit: Oh, and my username link: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/Foolster41

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

rotinaj posted:

I've been hanging tough so far. NaNo is never easy, but is totally do-able. On the plus side, I've had more work on my novel in the past 3 days than the past 3 months, so there's that.

I'm right there with you.

I actually hit my flow at lunch today, but then I had to stop and work. :eng99:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Fifth attempt, hopefully third success, second account.
(Won the first round in 2010 then lost my log in. Typical.)

This time, I came prepared with an outline.

I'm writing a heist mystery novel based on Thief: The Dark Project with the characters based off of Ghostbusters and sadomasochistic spies doing time travel set in an alternative reality and there's something about friendship or something.

. . .

What? I'm serious!!

Really, tho, I'm just trying to make a semi-cohesive story. Already 7k words in.
God help me.

Here's me: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/grimwit

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Actual unironic post from my local area forum:

quote:

I am always inclined to genrebend, so my primary project this November has grown from a scifi-dystopian-steampunk into a twin-period-plus-futuristic scifi-paranormal-fantasy-dystopian-steampunk-satire-mystery-suspense (twiperifurry sciparafantatirepensianerypunk). (I think I add a new genre every day I write. So far, the plot is pretty cohesive, though. I think. I hope.)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I missed two days of writing, but today I brought it back.

Suck it cock farts.

Story so far: white teenage boy is crushed by elevator, ponders life after death, as a ghost.

God I hope it gets better.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

I missed two days of writing, but today I brought it back.

Suck it cock farts.

Story so far: white teenage boy is crushed by elevator, ponders life after death, as a ghost.

God I hope it gets better.

8,195 :smug:

I'm pushing hard right now because I'm planning on taking Thursday off my my b-day, and I know if I get into a hole it gets almost impossible for me to get out of it, and my writing time on the weekends is shorter because I have to make a model cemetery for my sister.

So far my main character has scared a soldier by casually pointing out booby traps in a mountain pass, been grilled about dissection by a visiting dignitary, and gotten recruited into babby's first espionage scheme. Tomorrow, he'll be chatting about astronomy and religion with a princess. Soon, he'll be a war criminal.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Foolster41 posted:

I tried nanowrimo a few years ago and never finished, so I'm trying again, though I started a little late (yesterday), so I'm going to just end late (Dec 2nd).

My story is a young adult modern fantasy story about a girl who moves into a small mid-western town, and she meets a boy who's actually a wood sprite. I have no idea unfortunately what the conflict of the story will be.

Fortunately, I was an hour early to work because of me being confused about the time, so that let me write furiously about 700 words to start my story. Unfortunately, it's now day 2 for me, and I still need to write about 4,000 words to catch up.

Has anyone else have an idea for a story's setting/characters but no conflict? Any good ideas for trying to figure what the conflict should be?

Edit: Oh, and my username link: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/Foolster41

If you have trouble figuring out sources of conflict in a story I find it's helpful to ask yourself fundamental questions about the characters, the biggest one being "What do they want more than anything else in the world?" Once you've figured that out then you can start thinking up obstacles to place in their way, or even better, the characters' differing motivations can create the conflict for you.

In your case you've got a wood sprite hanging out in the heart of Campbell's soup casserole country, which is not the first place that springs to mind when thinking of creatures straight out of Midsummer Night's Dream. How did he get there? Does he like it there? Does he hate it and want to return to the woods outside of Athens or wherever it is he usually hangs out? And how do all the other characters feel about this supernatural character living in their otherwise ordinary town? Have fun with it - I think you have a nice jumping off point for your story there. I would definitely be curious to know how a wood sprite ended up in Iowa or wherever.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Ah, gently caress. I started late because I was traveling.

I don't actually remember how many years I've won NaNoWriMo, because I know there was at least 1 year where I had to skip it because I had a book in editing. And I'm pretty annoyed at the site for having been reset at some point so it doesn't show the old information.

Username: dj_clawson

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Liam Emsa posted:

Actual unironic post from my local area forum: "I am always inclined to genrebend, so my primary project this November has grown from a scifi-dystopian-steampunk into a twin-period-plus-futuristic scifi-paranormal-fantasy-dystopian-steampunk-satire-mystery-suspense (twiperifurry sciparafantatirepensianerypunk). (I think I add a new genre every day I write. So far, the plot is pretty cohesive, though. I think. I hope.)"

I'll be honest, I would totally read that just to see the genre smoothie that came out the other side.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Grimwit posted:

I'll be honest, I would totally read that just to see the genre smoothie that came out the other side.

Likewise.

Seconding the recommendation for f.lux. Nothing has done more to stop the proliferation of The Scream face at my office.

I'm taking the purest word vomit approach to NaNo this year. I know that I'm going to end up cutting at least 3/4ths of what I've written since starting, but that's okay. Better out than in.

And a tiny squeal of joy. My husband just received the first full request for the manuscript I co-authored with him. My nanowrimo project is a companion/prequel to it.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Oh are we playing numbers games cause :sparkles: 11349 :sparkles:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Grimwit posted:

If she were pitching this novel in a query letter to my boss, she would call it "literary fiction" in hopes of not completely alienating the agency with her unsellable work.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
God drat you guys are doing good. I'm on 6359 and I'm stuck. I know the main plot bits of my story, I'm just having a hard time filling out the stuff in between :(

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Once again I'm doing terrible job at keeping up with my daily word count. Only 3100 words in but I'm determined to actually see this story through.

I'm writing about a death obsessed bank robber that's laying low at a creepy Bed and Breakfast where everything is "off". Hopefully my paranoid nightmare fueled anti-hero is enough to drive the story forward. So far he has contemplated killing a guest that may have recognized him and had nightmares of a wolf with a black tongue eating his face.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nethilia posted:

Oh are we playing numbers games cause :sparkles: 11349 :sparkles:

I'm waiting to see who the overacheiver is and says they're halfway done on Friday.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

oliven posted:

God drat you guys are doing good. I'm on 6359 and I'm stuck. I know the main plot bits of my story, I'm just having a hard time filling out the stuff in between :(

What do you mean by "main plot bits"? Don't fill stuff in between, add more "bits". Don't think beginning, middle, end (most good fiction doesn't have 3 acts when you really look at them anyway), think"acts". Could you current end work better as a third act twist to create a new and interesting fourth and fifth acts? Etc.

Thinking "how do I fit my story into x words" is a dead end avenue I think that leads to a boring elongated story. Add more things, don't smooth it out, crinkle it up. Conflict, etc.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

oliven posted:

Two miscounted words, my friend: Descriptions.

Every new location... Describe.
Every new set of clothes... Describe.
Every new emotion... Describe.

I'm not even sure this is cheating, but talking about what someone is wearing seems to fill out the word count for me. You can only do it once per whatever, tho, otherwise you're just repeating yourself and at that point just retype "All Work and No Play..." over and over again.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I'm at a "write in" and its uh...

It's actually not bad.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I poo poo out a couple thousand more words and managed to hit 10,350, which means... I can spend tomorrow evening drinking beer and watching kung-fu movies on netflix. Might do a little writing, but I'm not gonna worry too much.

Main character started getting philosophical, and I realized halfway through he was making no sense. Probably could have started over, but gently caress that, I had him keep on digging till another character called him out on his nonsensical bullshit.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I finally actually started a couple days late. Shat out just over 7k words which doesn't quite catch me up, but puts me most of the way there. The pacing on everything is completely hosed and I'm constantly forgetting the names of my characters. Nanowrimo, folks. :toot:

Also, my characters have already managed to commit murder, robbery, torture, and arson. This keeps getting far darker far faster than it's supposed to.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah, I'm a bit behind at 8100 or so words, but I'm already doing heaps better than last year, so that's encouraging. Planning my scenes out back in october has been immensely helpful. But then so has looking at Liam Emsa/gronke's high word count and slightly goading smile every time I check on my writing buddies :v: Newman Emsa :arghfist:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I was on track to finish by the 20th and then my best friend's mom died. gently caress.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Aphra Bane posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit behind at 8100 or so words, but I'm already doing heaps better than last year, so that's encouraging. Planning my scenes out back in october has been immensely helpful. But then so has looking at Liam Emsa/gronke's high word count and slightly goading smile every time I check on my writing buddies :v: Newman Emsa :arghfist:

Thanks for the high praise, but my high word count is misleading. I started the novel that I'm working on a few months ago, and I'd had 5000 words when Nano arrived. So I'm shooting for 55000. Basically, take my word count and subtract 5000 from it.

edit: With that being said, I'm around 4,000 words short by the end of the day today. Really slacking here, that's about it.

Liam Emsa fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 6, 2014

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

PoshAlligator posted:

What do you mean by "main plot bits"? Don't fill stuff in between, add more "bits". Don't think beginning, middle, end (most good fiction doesn't have 3 acts when you really look at them anyway), think"acts". Could you current end work better as a third act twist to create a new and interesting fourth and fifth acts? Etc.

Thinking "how do I fit my story into x words" is a dead end avenue I think that leads to a boring elongated story. Add more things, don't smooth it out, crinkle it up. Conflict, etc.

I mean I have a series of scenes that should happen in a certain order to drive the story forward, but some of these scenes are more closely tied together while others are more general. I mean you're right of course, I definitely need more bits, and trying to make the whole thing add up to an even 50k isn't going to do me any favours.

Grimwit posted:

Two miscounted words, my friend: Descriptions.

Every new location... Describe.
Every new set of clothes... Describe.
Every new emotion... Describe.

I'm not even sure this is cheating, but talking about what someone is wearing seems to fill out the word count for me. You can only do it once per whatever, tho, otherwise you're just repeating yourself and at that point just retype "All Work and No Play..." over and over again.

Cheating, pfft. This is good advice. It's easier going back and cutting stuff should it turn into something wonderful at some point anyway.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I fell behind yesterday. (I made a small tactical error: pierogis.) Now at 6889. Ought to be able to catch up on my flight tomorrow, though.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Okay, tell me if anyone else is doing this.

I've started to notice while writing dialogue that my characters sound like famous actors. I meant it when I said there are some people based off characters from Ghostbusters. The weird bit is Tasha Kinglon sounds like Bill Murray in my head annnd.. she's a she.

The only exception has been the main character, Scar, who sounded like Garret in the beginning, but has since wrestled the controls away from me and started taking on her own voice.

Is it just me?

Anathema Device
Dec 22, 2009

by Ion Helmet
I've written the first few scenes, which needed to be very immediate and follow the character's every thought. Now I have about a week of story-time where nothing much happens. The character is stuck in a hospital. She needs to come to terms with how she got there, and make her decision not to talk.

I don't know how to fast-forward to the bits that matter, and I'm getting bogged down in scenes of her eating, sleeping, and pacing. I'm still writing words, but by god they are pointless, boring words.

I'm just shy of 5k words. At this rate I'll be happy if I finish half of Nano. But this is still more than I've written in this short a time before.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This goes for writing regardless of whether or not it's nanowrimo, but if something is loving boring to write, then just loving skip it. If the reader doesn't need to know that your characters ate breakfast because it's assumed that they're not starving to death, then you don't need to write it.

Related note, my favorite radio show did an episode on nanowrimo earlier today: http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/11/06/novel-writing-month-creative-fiction

inthesto fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 6, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
e: oops wrong thread

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Anathema Device posted:

I don't know how to fast-forward to the bits that matter, and I'm getting bogged down in scenes of her eating, sleeping, and pacing. I'm still writing words, but by god they are pointless, boring words.
Just do it. Write the next scene where something meaningful happens. It's self-evident that time has moved forwards, but if it's important how long it's been then just throw in some reference to it.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Anathema Device posted:

Story telling is kind of like memory.

Do you remember every time you've driven down the same old road to get to work? How many times have you walked through the front door? Can you describe each time in detail, or just the moments that broke routine?

Memory tends to highlight the most interesting parts of our life and compresses them. It's why people can get mixed up which year they moved houses or that time the tire went flat... when was that?

Write like the character is remember what happened. Even if it's from a 3rd person perspective. I guarantee, she won't remember everything tile on the ceiling.

skids234
Jan 10, 2003

systran posted:

e: oops wrong thread

Four more words towards the day's word count goal.

Grimwit, the comparison you draw between memory and writing is excellent and I'm predicting it's going to be super useful.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Grimwit posted:

Okay, tell me if anyone else is doing this.

I've started to notice while writing dialogue that my characters sound like famous actors. I meant it when I said there are some people based off characters from Ghostbusters. The weird bit is Tasha Kinglon sounds like Bill Murray in my head annnd.. she's a she.

The only exception has been the main character, Scar, who sounded like Garret in the beginning, but has since wrestled the controls away from me and started taking on her own voice.

Is it just me?

Actually that's a pretty good technique for making your characters sound individual from one another and to build a good foundation. So, don't worry about it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Powered through and wrote 10,004 words in two days and now I'm officially caught up.

Time to grab some beer and start writing some surplus words (that are hopefully less lovely because they're not pressed for time).

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Anais Nun posted:

If you have trouble figuring out sources of conflict in a story I find it's helpful to ask yourself fundamental questions about the characters, the biggest one being "What do they want more than anything else in the world?" Once you've figured that out then you can start thinking up obstacles to place in their way, or even better, the characters' differing motivations can create the conflict for you.

In your case you've got a wood sprite hanging out in the heart of Campbell's soup casserole country, which is not the first place that springs to mind when thinking of creatures straight out of Midsummer Night's Dream. How did he get there? Does he like it there? Does he hate it and want to return to the woods outside of Athens or wherever it is he usually hangs out? And how do all the other characters feel about this supernatural character living in their otherwise ordinary town? Have fun with it - I think you have a nice jumping off point for your story there. I would definitely be curious to know how a wood sprite ended up in Iowa or wherever.

I think the main thing the main girl, Lana wants is to at least at first move back to the city, though I don't think this is at all a reachable goal (would mean maybe sabotaging her mom's job, which would be awful, and I don't think she'd do it). Perhaps she gets over this soon and the goal becomes trying to adjust, fit into the town.

As for the boy (who I'm naming "Jack" for now), I'm thinking he was either dropped off as a baby on parents (ala "Timothy Green", only not with terrible parents) or he has one human parent and one parent who's a sprite. So more or less this is the only life he knows, and since it is pretty rural, he likes it enough, he probably sees it as the best of both world, being around people, but not in a big dirty city.

I'm starting to feel like this is turning into a pre-teen/teen romance story, and I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing, it feels just overly typical, I like idea of a story about two people who don't fall in love, who just become really good friends, but I don't know how to deal with that hanging expectation (for example, when their hanging out together at the county fair). I obv. don't want to just tell it ("he was like a brother to her.").

I'm still pretty far behind, it's day 4 and I'm at 1,804 words. 1,529 words behind.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 7, 2014

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

AAaaand I keep falling behind every day.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Liam Emsa posted:

AAaaand I keep falling behind every day.

What's the problem?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Another aspect I'm struggling with in my story was, I'm thinking Jack is pretty reserved and doesn't like to be touched/hugged. I was thinking this would come in later when he hugs suddenly Lana. What I'm afraid of is someone seeing that and thinking the assumption that Jack was abused and that's why. I know that's not the only reason why someone might not be touched, but it is a common sign of abuse. I'd rather it not be ambiguous, but I don't know if there's any good way of showing it's not.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Aphra Bane posted:

What's the problem?

Too much avoidance of the big responsibility, then each day I get further behind so it's more to do, etc. Vicious cycle. 6000 words behind at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Foolster41 posted:

Another aspect I'm struggling with in my story was, I'm thinking Jack is pretty reserved and doesn't like to be touched/hugged. I was thinking this would come in later when he hugs suddenly Lana. What I'm afraid of is someone seeing that and thinking the assumption that Jack was abused and that's why. I know that's not the only reason why someone might not be touched, but it is a common sign of abuse. I'd rather it not be ambiguous, but I don't know if there's any good way of showing it's not.
You might worry too much. Some ambiguity and room for interpretation isn't necessarily bad. If you need to show it, though, how about a flashback to his happy childhood or something?

• Locked thread