Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Also how the gently caress do you use Shulk correctly?

edit: also also the new sounds for Charizard are pretty sweet.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My first online battle was a horrifically slow and laggy 4-player FFA. All other battles since then, including 4-player ones, has been fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FFAs seem to be based on the connections of the players. If everyone has a decent connection, it runs great - if even one person has a bad connection, it runs terribly.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Shear Modulus posted:

Also how the gently caress do you use Shulk correctly?

edit: also also the new sounds for Charizard are pretty sweet.

I get that there are different modes for his sword, but are there any other clues as to what they do other than the kanji? Or will I just have to learn each kanji?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Shelf Adventure posted:

I get that there are different modes for his sword, but are there any other clues as to what they do other than the kanji? Or will I just have to learn each kanji?

He calls out their names in his reveal trailer. Here's a list from the Smash Wiki that also includes the Kanji. I'm going to assume they appear in this order.
翔 (Jump): Higher jumps, lower defense.
疾 (Speed): Faster movement, lower jumps, weaker attacks.
盾 (Shield): Higher defense, lower jumps, weaker attacks, slower movement.
斬 (Buster): Stronger attacks, weaker launch ability, lower defense.
撃 (Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
If you stack offensive equipment on Dedede, he can break a full shield with an uncharged forward smash.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Cheers for the list. In game are there any clues aside from the order/kanji? Like his shoes glowing for speed or anything?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I'm not using Shulk correctly, I'm sure of it, but most times I only feel like switching between Buster and Smash.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

Just remember the colors. Off-hand I remember yellow is the defensive buff and green is the jump buff.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ChaosArgate posted:

He calls out their names in his reveal trailer. Here's a list from the Smash Wiki that also includes the Kanji. I'm going to assume they appear in this order.
翔 (Jump): Higher jumps, lower defense.
疾 (Speed): Faster movement, lower jumps, weaker attacks.
盾 (Shield): Higher defense, lower jumps, weaker attacks, slower movement.
斬 (Buster): Stronger attacks, weaker launch ability, lower defense.
撃 (Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.

It'd be easier to remember with the colors.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm not impressed.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Oh I didn't realise there were different colours - that'll make things miles easier.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Little Mac is a beast and landing KO powered punches and sending fools into orbit like they're Glass Joe never gets old

Also spectating mode shows me why I should never gamble. All my gold coins :negative: It's like Salty Bet all over again

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 3, 2014

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Shulk's mode colors are:
green (jump)
blue (speed)
yellow (shield)
purple (Buster)
red (Smash)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I just noticed Falco's voiced by his SF643D voice actor, which means he doesn't have a Brooklyn accent anymore. :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I recall people who tried the demo saying Palutena was a beast, which seems laughable because she's kind of awful. Little Mac is a bulldozer though, as is Donkey Kong.

Dedede now having a crouching rolling attack that constantly puts him back into his "dont even care" pose is the greatest change of all time for this game.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

For your Miis? I've gotten a bunch through classic mode.

Huh, weird. I already beat classic about 10 times and just got my first

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Is there a ranking/ladder system for the online portion of the game

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
donkey kong fuckin wrecks

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

tbp posted:

Is there a ranking/ladder system for the online portion of the game

I'm fairly certain that's what 'global smash power' is.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
On one hand; Peach was nerfed pretty hard mechanically and she's the worst she's ever been.

On the other, I can smash people with rainbows and hearts. Peach Verdit: The best. Also Mega Man is still a cutie.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Hellioning posted:

I'm fairly certain that's what 'global smash power' is.

It looks like that's only for single player tho?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
There's no visible ladder. If you play 'For Glory' enough they'll place you with similarly-ranked players. Not sure if it's just based on Win Rate or if there are other factors, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Man, Jungle Japes is so hilariously unfun to fight on that I really wish I could put Gear Getaway on another stage. :(

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

bonzibuddy64 posted:

donkey kong fuckin wrecks

does anybody even play Donkey Kong as a non-joke character? Whenever I choose Donkey Kong it's in more of a "lol this should be funny" way than seriously playing him.

Nuuds P00dle
Jun 28, 2011

smash em crash em bash em:shroom:
For glory mode is nothing but little macs all day

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Urgh it's what I figured. It's a good game and looks amazing on 3ds, but I absolutely can't get past controlling it. At least with the demo version. I'll probably end up getting it anyway and dicking around, but I can honestly barely do anything. The problem's with me and not the game though.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

RBA Starblade posted:

Urgh it's what I figured. It's a good game and looks amazing on 3ds, but I absolutely can't get past controlling it. At least with the demo version. I'll probably end up getting it anyway and dicking around, but I can honestly barely do anything. The problem's with me and not the game though.

It's a little awkward at first, especially if you're a regular player of old smash versions. You'll get used to it quickly though and be doing pretty much the same poo poo before too long.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Shelf Adventure posted:

Cheers for the list. In game are there any clues aside from the order/kanji? Like his shoes glowing for speed or anything?

Yeah, his shoes glow for Speed and Jump, his chest for Shield and his sword for Buster and Smash.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Louisgod posted:

does anybody even play Donkey Kong as a non-joke character? Whenever I choose Donkey Kong it's in more of a "lol this should be funny" way than seriously playing him.

I use him to cheese the 100-man-melee type stuff with his down smash. Never touched the guy against other humans in the older games though.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Nuuds P00dle posted:

I want to be king of the little macs

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Really should have been Battlefield, or st least random between that and final destination.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Just got an online match that ran so horribly one in-game second took a couple of minutes in real life. In the end I was kicked for idling even though I was trying my hardest to move :shobon:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nuuds P00dle posted:

It was really inevitable when you can only play on a stage that plays to his strengths in every way.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
ive played five online for funsies matches with only two being playable. im reasonably sure my connection isnt stuffed so is it just the network being hammered?

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Blazing Zero posted:

ive played five online for funsies matches with only two being playable. im reasonably sure my connection isnt stuffed so is it just the network being hammered?

Many people have lovely routers, namely combination modem/routers that their ISPs give them. They're loving terrible for Nintendo online gaming for some reason.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Callick posted:

Many people have lovely routers, namely combination modem/routers that their ISPs give them. They're loving terrible for Nintendo online gaming for some reason.

Well Nintendo is tiny compared to other gaming hardware companies so I doubt they have the people or institutional knowledge to make netcode of comparable quality.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Luma seems to change color when I'm playing Rosalina. Is this triggered by something, and does it have any affect on gameplay?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Played 30 minutes of this on my lunch break, it rules and Little Mac is a house as others have already said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Deviant posted:

Luma seems to change color when I'm playing Rosalina. Is this triggered by something, and does it have any affect on gameplay?

Nope, after Luma dies you get a "new" one and sometimes it's a different color.

• Locked thread