Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«399 »
z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Juice posted:

A Colt lovingly swathed in custom leather

I love your pics

A+ would again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

So what are people using for spare mag carriers? I bought a Blackhawk! one (against patience and better judgement) and it sticks out like a sore thumb. It'll be fine for the car, but for carrying I'd like something that can actually conceal the mag.

A Blackhawk for the C3 and a DeSantis for the 229. I'm thinking about one of these Snagmag carriers, http://www.snagmag.com/snagmag-conc...gazine-holster/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

SinistralRifleman posted:

I forget where I read it years ago but a major holster maker was quoted as saying they sold more deep concealment holsters to states like New York and New Jersey than places where concealed carry was actually legal.
Even in states like NJ which effectively do not issue CCW permits, carry is still legal in your residence, your place of business or other property you own or possess. Therefore small business owners and others may carry on site. In such firearms unfriendly states, even when carrying legally on your own property, it's wise to keep everything well concealed. Things like brandishing are interpreted very strictly in such states.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Did you really?

So what are people using for spare mag carriers? I bought a Blackhawk! one (against patience and better judgement) and it sticks out like a sore thumb. It'll be fine for the car, but for carrying I'd like something that can actually conceal the mag.

On my phone so no link, but I use kytex mag pouches. They're clip-on, low profile, light, conceal well, and the price is right. They don't conceal quite as well as a leather pancake pouch, but I haven't had any issues. Search for kytex shooting gear.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I tote my spare mag in a Dale Fricke AIWB mag pouch. It regularly gets to me and winds up taken off in the evening, but OWB leather mag pouches did the same.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My spare mags are in my nightstand drawer because I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

If I carry a spare mag it's with a comp-tac OWB mag holder. I found IWB mag pouches are just too uncomfortable and if I am carrying IWB it's probably too hot for anything but a pistol anyway. I often carry an AIWB pistol with the OWB mag pouch under a light jacket - conceals better, 1000x more comfortable than more poo poo IWB.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kommienzuspadt posted:

If I carry a spare mag it's with a comp-tac OWB mag holder. I found IWB mag pouches are just too uncomfortable and if I am carrying IWB it's probably too hot for anything but a pistol anyway. I often carry an AIWB pistol with the OWB mag pouch under a light jacket - conceals better, 1000x more comfortable than more poo poo IWB.

The Comp-Tac OWB mag carriers conceal reasonably well even just under an untucked t-shirt.

If I carry my 1911 without a mag on the weak side, my pants fall down on the strong side.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Thanks for the suggestions. The Blackhawk! one is pretty terrible. Uncomfortable and doesn't conceal at all. Good for open carrying, I guess.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

How are the CTAC Infidel and Infidel Ultra holsters? I have an MTAC but I think the Infidels would be easier to put on and take off.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cross-posting from the deals thread

Midway has a bunch of Comp-Tac models heavily discounted

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortb...searchscope=all

*edit* What the flying gently caress I was all excited to get a MTAC for M&P/M&P Compact for $51 loving dollars and in the time it took to put in my credit card number it went back to $90

Basticle fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 9, 2014

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Thanks for the reciprocity chart.

Been looking for that for some time.

Personally, I put a Ruger LCP .380 in my pocket holster with some gold dots and call it good enough.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh hey brand new thread.

Just turned in my Mississippi pistol permit application today. The lady at the Starkville highway patrol gave me grief for having printed it front and back, but it was all completed and notarized so here's hoping there aren't any issues. She told me the turn around is about 3 months, but I hope it's not that bad. Does anyone know how long I might wait for an MS license?

Why would anybody want a snubby revolver?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

vigorous sodomy posted:

Because they're loving awesome?

Serious answer: you can shoot anything from powderpuff wadcutters to full-house +P or magnum loads out of the same gun without worrying how it will affect the gun's function; they can be fired from within a pocket without affecting the gun's function; and you can make contact shots if you have to without affecting the gun's function.

On top of that, some people just shoot better with revolvers.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

infrared35 posted:

Because they're loving awesome?

Serious answer: you can shoot anything from powderpuff wadcutters to full-house +P or magnum loads out of the same gun without worrying how it will affect the gun's function; they can be fired from within a pocket without affecting the gun's function; and you can make contact shots if you have to without affecting the gun's function.

On top of that, some people just shoot better with revolvers.

Are they really? I mean they have little baby grips that are made for child hands or someone missing 1/3 of their hand, heavy rear end double action trigger pulls, literally half the ammo capacity of any modern pistol, I can't fathom anyone considering firing the gun out of their pocket, and I don't know what a contact shot is so

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

vigorous sodomy posted:

I can't fathom anyone considering firing the gun out of their pocket, and I don't know what a contact shot is so

Well, there you go.

Also, a snub isn't just a 1-7/8" airweight J-frame. A K-frame snub such as a 10 or 19 gives you a lot more options as far as grips go.

As far as triggers, they get a lot nicer once you move up from a J-frame. Not that they're that heavy to begin with. And they're generally very smooth triggers.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

vigorous sodomy posted:

Have you never watched an old private eye movie? Snubby revolvers are radder than a whole box of rads.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bummey posted:

Have you never watched an old private eye movie? Snubby revolvers are radder than a whole box of rads.

Only when a dame with everything to lose walks into my smoke filled office.

I see the Sccy CPX 2 is beginning to get more and more positive reviews. Has anyone ever experienced a Sccy?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

vigorous sodomy posted:

Only when a dame with everything to lose walks into my smoke filled office.

I see the Sccy CPX 2 is beginning to get more and more positive reviews. Has anyone ever experienced a Sccy?

They're modestly acceptable. The one I shot did not impress me in any way but it didn't kill me either.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I guess if I was on a super tight budget I'd get one over a Kel-tec or Taurus thats for sure. Then again S&W bodyguards or Ruger LCPs are pretty drat cheap too.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

thermobollocks posted:

They're modestly acceptable. The one I shot did not impress me in any way but it didn't kill me either.

Did it dissuade you from recommending one or buying one?

Dangerpants
Aug 11, 2005

Can anyone recommend a gun vault for a car? I don't need something to withstand a prolonged, deliberate attempt. More along the lines of preventing a smash and grab resulting in losing a firearm when I can't carry at a certain venue. I've seen these from time to time but never heard any experiences: https://www.gunvault.com

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dangerpants posted:

Can anyone recommend a gun vault for a car? I don't need something to withstand a prolonged, deliberate attempt. More along the lines of preventing a smash and grab resulting in losing a firearm when I can't carry at a certain venue. I've seen these from time to time but never heard any experiences: https://www.gunvault.com

Finger print scanner? How many times do those fail? I had one lovely dell computer with a lovely 'biometric' reader on just like gun vault uses quit working after a few months.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Dangerpants posted:

I have the NanoVault NV 100 from that company. It's big enough for my Glock 26 and LCP, but if you carry something along the lines of a Glock 19 or larger you would probably need the next step up in size. It comes with a coated steel cable to affix it to your car, and is small enough to fit in pretty tight spaces. In my car I store it in the spare wheel well, cabled to the frame of the car, underneath a layer of carpet, which is underneath a locked hatch in the floor of the cargo area.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Snubbies rule. Going to buy one in the spring. I'll have an LCP, snub, and a Glock 17 for CCW, then I can narrow from there.

Spent the week driving and carrying my G17 OWB in a Don Hume holster. I don't like how much it prints under shirts that are anything other than super loose. No one's said anything, though, so whatever. It's also way more comfortable than my MTAC. I'm actually a little amazed at it. I'm a big guy, crammed into a Sentra, and the gun isn't digging into me at all (even afer 5-7 hours).

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

QuarkMartial posted:

Snubbies rule. Going to buy one in the spring. I'll have an LCP, snub, and a Glock 17 for CCW, then I can narrow from there.

Spent the week driving and carrying my G17 OWB in a Don Hume holster. I don't like how much it prints under shirts that are anything other than super loose. No one's said anything, though, so whatever. It's also way more comfortable than my MTAC. I'm actually a little amazed at it. I'm a big guy, crammed into a Sentra, and the gun isn't digging into me at all (even afer 5-7 hours).

OWB will always be more comfortable than IWB, especially with a big honkin pistol like that

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

vigorous sodomy posted:

Did it dissuade you from recommending one or buying one?

The trigger is unremarkable, similar to the LC9 or Beretta Nano, not as good as a Kahr (or the options I'm about to list in a few words). It clearly beats a pointed stick, yeah, and I'd take it over a Taurus or a Kel-Tec.

But, I wound up getting a Shield. If you're looking at the Sccy I'd look harder and go for a PPS, Shield, G26, hell, even a J-frame or LCR. Price is really the only thing it's got going for it, and for about 100-150 more you open up a ton more options.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

vigorous sodomy posted:

Are they really? I mean they have little baby grips that are made for child hands or someone missing 1/3 of their hand, heavy rear end double action trigger pulls, literally half the ammo capacity of any modern pistol, I can't fathom anyone considering firing the gun out of their pocket, and I don't know what a contact shot is so

My S&W Model 10 has the most smooth trigger (yeah, my father had it cleaned up when it was his carry piece before glocks were issued) I've ever shot. Second best is my Sig 239 SAS DAK. Don't discount a revolver's trigger. You'd be pretty ignorant/clueless to do so.

Worst trigger I've shot? Glock hands down.

QuarkMartial posted:

I'll never go back to IWB. OWB is such a relief for my hosed up spine. I currently carry my Combat Commander in a OWB and it is really not any more noticeable than IWB, unless during the rare time a shirt my allow the bottom to peek out.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 10, 2014

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Hows the Combat Commander? I handled one (I think that's what it was, Colt's shorty 1911 on a short frame?). Seemed like a nice compact gun to carry, and could be very thin with a set of thin grips on it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

thermobollocks posted:

The trigger is unremarkable, similar to the LC9 or Beretta Nano, not as good as a Kahr (or the options I'm about to list in a few words). It clearly beats a pointed stick, yeah, and I'd take it over a Taurus or a Kel-Tec.

But, I wound up getting a Shield. If you're looking at the Sccy I'd look harder and go for a PPS, Shield, G26, hell, even a J-frame or LCR. Price is really the only thing it's got going for it, and for about 100-150 more you open up a ton more options.

How do you like the Shield? It looks so, snubbed. If it were a dog it would be something with a short pallet like a frenchie or a pug. If I were to get a Galco or De Santis OWB holster, would that suit be a good CCW opiton or is the CTAC really the only real contender these days?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Leather pancake OWB holsters are super comfy with compact guns in the cold months. But I live in NH and, in your Southern hell, would stick with IWB. The CTAC is a solid holster, but not the only contender. IWB hybrid is nice enough to stick with but also cheap enough to use until you sort out your personal preferences as you can afford. So get a CTAC.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Fog Tripper posted:

Worst trigger I've shot? Glock hands down.

Whenever somebody says this I immediately discount their ability and experience as a shooter.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Whenever somebody says this I immediately discount their ability and experience as a shooter.

Glock bias has nothing to do with it does it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Nah, it's just that if a glock of all things has the worst trigger you've felt you've been REALLY lucky with your gunhaving.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

vigorous sodomy posted:

Glock bias has nothing to do with it does it.

No. I think Glock triggers are thoroughly mediocre, but they are eminently shootable. If you can shoot a handgun well, you'll be able to pick up a Glock and shoot it well inside of a few magazines. Same goes for any other modern handgun, with the possible exception of modern S&W J frames. My god those triggers are awful, and actively prevent me from shooting well.

Also not sure if anyone is keeping score but every time I recommend a Glock I also recommend an M&P, too.

DeesGrandpa posted:

Nah, it's just that if a glock of all things has the worst trigger you've felt you've been REALLY lucky with your gunhaving.

Also, this.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

I shot an unmodified Llama in .40 that had a nicer trigger than a Glock. However, a factory G34's trigger is still demonstrably better than every single competition revolver trigger I've felt, ones polished by professionals, and lightened to the point that they only ignite Federal primers. It's not a question of how much you like them; I think they feel like poo poo. But to say they're flat out worse than a model 10 is a dumb poo poo statement.

As for the Shield, it's ugly as gently caress. You can OWB it if you like, but its small size means that a variety of IWB options work. The trigger is stiff, but refrain from loving up and you'll hit your target.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

Glocks in general are a utilitarian gun. Trigger, sights, and pre-Gen 4 ergonomics are the baseline for what is considered acceptable by most for the basics. It's not bad, but it's not good.

You really can't compare a revolver to a striker fired pistol when it comes to triggers. Completely different mechanics at play.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

snotball007 posted:

Glocks in general are a utilitarian gun. Trigger, sights, and pre-Gen 4 ergonomics are the baseline for what is considered acceptable by most for the basics. It's not bad, but it's not good.

You really can't compare a revolver to a striker fired pistol when it comes to triggers. Completely different mechanics at play.

Yea I agree w/ all of this.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

lol nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Makes me almost wish I still had a stock PA-63 to make them shoot. That DA trigger felt like dragging a 50lb cannonball through a sandpit.

«399 »