Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«399 »
Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I wish there was a way to rent an appendix carry rig. It sure seems to work for a shitload of people, but I'm not going to spend the cash to try it out when I have a bevy of holsters for my current CCW guns.
The Blackhawk(!!!!!) A.R.C. actually looks pretty good, and retails for under $25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Proper Kerni ng posted:

The Blackhawk(!!!!!) A.R.C. actually looks pretty good, and retails for under $25.

Doesn't it need one of those levers sticking out to guide the belt? I like cheap, but I'd also want to get an appropriate AIWB rig.

I'm still skeptical of how it works. Even after losing fifty pounds, I'm not sure I have a flat enough gut area to pull it off.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Proper Kerni ng posted:

No extra length below the muzzle, even on a short gun like a Shield or G43? You could maybe add a muzzle wedge I guess, but it doesn't come with one either.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

Is there anything on the market similar to the lcp2 but with a thumb safety?
I know there isn't a lot of real estate on the sides of tiny carry guns, but I'm trying to switch to something smaller than my cheetah and my paranoid rear end brain will not let me carry a firearm racked and iwb without a manual safety.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Nasty Old Randy posted:

I know there isn't a lot of real estate on the sides of tiny carry guns, but I'm trying to switch to something smaller than my cheetah and my paranoid rear end brain will not let me carry a firearm racked and iwb without a manual safety.

While I won't carry a defensive firearm with a manual safety, the Colt Mustang and other similar mini-1911s come to mind.

Off the top of my head -

- Colt Mustang
- Sig 238
- Springfield 911
- Kimber EC9s and whatever.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

My carry gun before the cheetah was a compact 1911. I loved that thing, but its heavy as hell and I wanted to switch to something In a smaller caliber.

Edit: My idiot brain missed "mini". This could be an option.

Nasty Old Randy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 24, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Nasty Old Randy posted:

My carry gun before the cheetah was a compact 1911. I loved that thing, but its heavy as hell and I wanted to switch to something In a smaller caliber.

Edit: My idiot brain missed "mini". This could be an option.

I think most companies refer to them as "Micro 1911s."

I'll let someone with actual experience with the guns weigh in on how they shoot. But you certainly have options.

(I have never heard anything but praise for the Colt Mustang and really thought about getting one, but I couldn't get my head around the manual safety.)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Nasty Old Randy posted:

Sig makes a P365 with a thumb safety
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sig...h-manual-safety

365XL too
https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sau...-9-bxr3-ms.html

TCD fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 24, 2020

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I think the p365 is a great option, but it's definitely larger than the LCP2. I have a Shield and an LCP, and the LCP is pocketable while the shield is not. The Shield and p365 are about the same size. I'll add though, that I really like the p365 and intend to upgrade to it from my shield - definitely not knocking it here.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Relocated, just drop the "y"

Grimey Drawer

The Sig P365 is closer in size to the LCP than the shield, except in width. While you could pocket carry the Sig, I wouldn't. Unless you have super large pockets, it's much harder to get out of the pocket cleanly and fast, even in the SAS version.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I disagree. Maybe grip height? But length and width are both closer to the shield. That's pretty clear from your photos.

Edit: Actually just no. You also have a massive grip extension on that LCP. It's much closer in size to the shield.

Edit 2: And you have the 365 model with the sights in the slide, rather than traditional sights.

Edit 3: And no mag in the 365 or LCP, but a mag in the shield. That's like the most bizarre way to compare these possible. This is wrong, the extension is a mag baseplate I assume.

Here are the actual numbers. It's mostly inbetween them, yes, but it's notably closer in size to the Shield on all dimensions.

Length (barrel)
LCP II: 5.17" (2.75")
P365: 5.8" (3.1")
Shield: 6.1" (3.1")

Height
LCP II: 3.71"
P365: 4.3"
Shield: 4.6"

Width
LCP II: 0.91"
P365: 1"
Shield: 0.95"

Weight
LCP II: 10.6 oz
P365: 17.8 oz
Shield: 20.8 oz

armorer fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 24, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I just picked up the Ruger EC9S. It's just a larger version of the LCP II in 9mm and has a thumb safety. It's not the most feature filled gun since as I said, it's like the LCP II, but I like it. It's the largest gun I'd consider carrying on me and it's quite small for most people. It's also very affordable. Hickok45 did a review of the LC9S which is basically the same thing but with better sights and a different finish. He liked it a lot.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

Well it seems my local sporting goods store has both an LCP II for 250 and a Sig p365 with manual safety for 500.
The p365 is really impressive considering its size but I might still go for the LCP II for the trigger and price. Not sure the trigger safety is enough to ease my mind though.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Nasty Old Randy posted:

Well it seems my local sporting goods store has both an LCP II for 250 and a Sig p365 with manual safety for 500.
The p365 is really impressive considering its size but I might still go for the LCP II for the trigger and price. Not sure the trigger safety is enough to ease my mind though.

LCP II is wonderful and for $250 I feel like everyone should just get mailed one with their stimulus check.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Nasty Old Randy posted:

Get both.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

beanieson posted:

LCP II is wonderful and for $250 I feel like everyone should just get mailed one with their stimulus check.

... with TRUMP2020 engraved on the slide and a TRUMPBUX2020 serial number.

Also, the bullets have "CRIME DISINFECTANT" engraved on the brass.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

tarlibone posted:

... with TRUMP2020 engraved on the slide and a TRUMPBUX2020 serial number.

Also, the bullets have "CRIME DISINFECTANT" engraved on the brass.

I mean... I’d still want it, so yeah

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

beanieson posted:

I mean... I’d still want it, so yeah

Honestly, I regret the "CRIME DISINFECTANT" joke, because I would legit like bullets with that on them. Because that's hilarious. I'd just have to make sure I don't shoot someone for improperly parking in a handicapped space with those rounds.

I carry my M&P 9c a lot, but the other day I grabbed my wife's LCPII, and... OK, I've shot it, and I don't enjoy that experience... but I get it. Even the crappy pocket holster it came with was easily pocketable. I would probably get one in 22, because I like 22 and poo poo-tones of people have been killed by them tiny lil' calibers. But there's something to be said for tiny lil' guns. Makes me sorry I spent money on a bigger one.

Well, not that sorry.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Nasty Old Randy posted:

Have you carried much before? I'm not being bitchy, I just ask because pocket carrying takes some getting used to.

I remember being worried about not having a safety on my defensive pocket gun. But with a good holster and the discipline to not finger the firearm in your pocket, you've not got anything to worry about.

I'd be more worried about having a situation go from zero to one hundred in a second, deciding you need to save your life by putting shots on someone, and remembering to flip off the fiddly little safety. I'd worry more about that.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I am NOT a merry man!

Captain Log posted:

Have you carried much before? I'm not being bitchy, I just ask because pocket carrying takes some getting used to.

I remember being worried about not having a safety on my defensive pocket gun. But with a good holster and the discipline to not finger the firearm in your pocket, you've not got anything to worry about.

I'd be more worried about having a situation go from zero to one hundred in a second, deciding you need to save your life by putting shots on someone, and remembering to flip off the fiddly little safety. I'd worry more about that.

That's definitely something that comes down to training.

For example, it's pretty much automatic for me to manipulate the safety on an AR, to the point where I wouldn't worry about forgetting in a tough situation. However, I would probably have to train myself for a pistol, since I'm used to DA/SA and strikers.

A lot of folks (esp. 1911 users) have the safety motion down pat, much like an AR is for me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that’s the truth. Just putting it out there since I don’t know how much the OP has carried micro guns.

While a large chunk of this forum has my shooting experience beat, I have put one or two thousand rounds through a Kel Tec P3AT over the last decade and then some. It is unpleasant as gently caress, but it’s pretty instinctive to me. Unlike a safety to engage after drawing.

On that experience note, I WILL be taking some classes once the pandemic dies down. I want to fire live rounds from the draw while being coached.

Then I’ll find some unlucky goon that wants to shepherd me through a comp.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...arbery-killing/

Even if these guys end up escaping any conviction, talk about a massively unnecessary shoot and legal issues they’ve brought on themselves through terrible decisions.

Washington Post posted:

A Georgia prosecutor on Tuesday said a grand jury should review the fatal shooting of 25-year-old Ahmaud Arbery, who was killed in February after being chased by two armed men who told police he looked like a burglary suspect.
The lack of charges thus far has enraged advocates across the country, who have expressed deep frustration with both the shooting of the unarmed man and how the case has been handled.
News around Arbery’s killing reverberated Tuesday after a graphic video that appeared to depict the shooting went viral on social media. Lee Merritt, the family’s attorney, shared the video Tuesday afternoon and said Arbery’s family was forced to watch for the first time online.

“Mr. Arbery had not committed any crime and there was no reason for these men to believe they had the right to stop him with weapons or to use deadly force in furtherance of their unlawful attempted stop,” Merritt wrote in a statement. “This is murder.”
By all accounts, Arbery spent much of his spare time running for exercise in the city of Brunswick, in Glynn County on Georgia’s southeast coast. That was the case Feb. 23, when Arbery was spotted jogging through his neighborhood by Gregory McMichael, who believed Arbery looked like a suspect in a spate of recent break-ins, according to a police report published by the New York Times.

McMichael, 64, called his son, Travis McMichael, 34, and they armed themselves with a handgun and shotgun, respectively, Gregory McMichael told police. They chased Arbery in a truck, according to the report, and Gregory McMichael told police that he shouted to Arbery, “Stop, stop, we want to talk to you,” before, according to their statements, they pulled up beside him in their truck. The report suggests a third person may also have been involved in the pursuit.

Travis McMichael stepped out of the truck with his shotgun, and that’s when Gregory McMichael alleges that Arbery attacked Travis McMichael and they began fighting over the shotgun, according to the police report. Travis McMichael shot twice, police said. Arbery fell face down on the pavement and died from his injuries.
Gregory McMichael didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment, and Travis McMichael’s listed number was disconnected. The county police department did not immediately return a request for comment late Tuesday.

On Tuesday, district attorney Tom Durden said in a statement that the case should be presented to a grand jury for consideration of criminal charges, the Associated Press reported. Greg McMichael previously served as a former police detective and district attorney investigator in Brunswick, documents show. The AP reported that District Attorney for Glynn County, Jackie Johnson, recused herself from this case because McMichael worked as an investigator in her office and retired last year.

In his statement, Merritt noted that grand juries in Georgia were temporarily suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic and urged that the two men be taken into custody immediately, pending their indictment. A statewide judicial emergency in Georgia was on Monday extended until June 12.
“The series of events captured in this video confirm what all the evidence indicated prior to its release,” Merritt wrote. “Mr. Arbery was pursued by three white men that targeted him solely because of his race and murdered him without justification.”

The video (can be found by googling, has NWS GSW and death) is shaky and apparently taken by another person either pursuing Arbery or just filming the whole event (not a dash cam). Arbery can be seen jogging down the street. The truck stopped ahead of him with the elder man in the bed yelling something indistinct. Arbery passes the truck on the right as the son with the shotgun flanks left around the hood. Video gets unclear, but it’s possible Arbery rounded the truck to find the man with a shotgun at near pointblank range.

Struggle ensues, Arbery is shot dead.

Chasing someone down and trying to stop them at gunpoint because you think they might look like a burglar from not even the same day is hosed, IMO.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

quote:

Greg McMichael previously served as a former police detective and district attorney investigator in Brunswick

This is all I needed to read. The DA is gonna make a show of "considering" charges, but likely nothing will happen because at the idea of charging a former FELLOW THIN BLUE LINER

Then again, governments are starting to hold bad cops accountable, on a very shoddy and piecemeal basis, so who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised that a loving premeditated murderer will actually be charged with something!

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 6, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

mlmp08 posted:

Chasing someone down and trying to stop them at gunpoint because you think they might look like a burglar from not even the same day is hosed, IMO.

This right here.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oh they get stupider somehow.

quote:

Only one burglary, an automobile burglary, was reported to county police in the Satilla Shores neighborhood between Jan. 1 and Feb. 23, according to documents obtained by The News in a public records request to the Glynn County Police Department. It involved a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm pistol stolen Jan. 1 from a pickup truck outside 230 Satilla Drive, the home of Travis McMichael, according to the police report.

Gregory McMichael moved the 2011 Ford F-150 from one spot to another in front of the home at around 9:30 a.m. Jan. 1, forgetting to lock it afterward, Travis McMichael told police. About an hour later, Travis McMichael found the handgun’s empty holster on the unlocked truck’s seat, the report said.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I don't know wat to say; that's disgusting and I'm ashamed to be associated with them as a gun owner.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't know wat to say; that's disgusting and I'm ashamed to be associated with them as a gun owner.
Why should you be ashamed any more than if some guy drives drunk and smashes head-on into a bus full of nuns and orphans? I mean, you own a vehicle of some sort too, right?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I guess because a lot of americans don't drive, don't think I should drive, and think I would just drive irresponsibly. And then someone does this and I have to go "well ok we shouldn't do THAT with a car, but I do still need one."

Which actually does happen, come to think of it, but it's still an uncomfortable feeling to see something misused so, so badly, so maliciously, when you know people think it has no legitimate use.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

No, I get why some people would want you to feel ashamed. I'm just confused why you would agree with them.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

Watching the video, I really don’t know how the DA thought that not charging these shitheads a while ago was gonna fly, since they apparently knew there was a video, and had been sitting on it.

I don’t blame the guy that got shot for fighting back, he had some random armed white dudes try to accost him. I don’t see how the “he looked like a suspect” thing actually works in a court setting for the shooters to try and justify what they did, assuming there is not something absolutely huge that is getting left out of this. Given that the video dropping finally got them to convene a grand jury, I suspect that there isn’t anything else that makes the shooter(s) look any better.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Because people assume I'm like those murderers? I dunno, is ashamed just the wrong word here? A deep sense of embarrassment? I felt the same way about whatshisname that shot Trayvon Martin, just a real deep disgust and embarrassment?

Edit: would love to see them get the book, figure they won't but would love to be surprised.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

It turns out responding gun owners almost never do the dumb theorized thing of shooting up all the innocent people during a mass shooting or a major crime, but there are a few prominent outliers of gun owners racing to stop a property crime or perceived grievance or something and killing or threatening someone who was innocuous until confronted with a gun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Craptacular posted:

No, I get why some people would want you to feel ashamed. I'm just confused why you would agree with them.

You're getting kind of unnecessarily aggressive. I don't know if ashamed is the best word, but I can completely see being upset that people keep making themselves the public face of some group that you are a part of by being terrible. Like how I'm a Subaru driver and I really wish teenagers in WRXes would stop wrapping them around trees and causing accidents doing 100 on a busy interstate.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

This seems like the most open and shut murder/manslaughter/assault with a deadly weapon thing I've ever seen. My mind is boggled.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Race and the elder fucktard's past career have a lot to do with why neither fucktard has been charged yet.

The fucktards did everything wrong and at the very least this is the kind of situation that good ccw instructors will use as an example of what not to do.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

I feel no affinity with these guys either. They are wrong for chasing down a jogger and killing him. If they’d done this with baseball bats and killed him with a strike to the head I’d feel the same way.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I see this less as a gun owner story (though of course they owned guns) and more of a race story.

Never mind the lack of charges, just try to even imagine a story of a 25-year old white guy out jogging in his neighborhood and two black men see him, grab guns, call the cops, chase him down in a vehicle, and then kill him during the ensuing confrontation, and then they not only go home without an arrest (much less charges), but on top of that, no one even hears about this story in the news until ~2 months later.

That is some primo American white privilege compounded on not giving a poo poo about dead black folks.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

The dispatcher repeatedly asked the racist gently caress who made the 911 call what the "suspect" had done wrong, and the best the motherfucker could come up with was “there’s a Black male running down the street”.

There isn't a septic tank deep enough for these pieces of poo poo, they both deserve a knot at the back instead of the side.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

It's definitely a race story. Would they have chased down a white guy that was running through the neighborhood if they had the same "reason" to suspect that he'd been stealing things from the neighborhood? Maybe, but probably not. Probably, the cops just get called, and that's the end of it. But it is possible they'd chase him down.

But, if those two guys didn't have guns, there is pretty much no way in hell that they'd chase the guy down. They could have grabbed bludgeons of some kind, or knives. They grabbed guns. Take away the guns from the equation, and I'm willing to bet that those guys would have, at most, called the cops. The way I see it, it is at least partially a gun thing, because while guns themselves don't kill people, they do tend to embolden people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

That’s a good point.

«399 »