Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«399 »
armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mine is the Hybrid EDC Belt. Half of the cobra buckle has a smaller profile, so it'll fit through my belt loops. A standard cobra buckle is too big otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have no skin in this because I don't have a sidecar rig, but what I remember from the PHLster video on it was that the issue with sidecars is that the body movement tries to make the kydex bend between the holster and mag pouch. The Tier 1 ones have a piece of paracord basically lacing the two together like the vamps of a shoe, it seems like that would obviate that issue?

The younger guy at my LGS has at least one that he really likes, possibly two. He's a pretty skinny guy and carries a pretty large gun in it under an average-fit polo. Not baggy, not extra smedium frat bro, just an average looking shirt. That could speak more to the benefits of carrying appendix than the holster in particular, though.

They flex in a very limited fashion, like a door hinge.

The only intelligent solution to the "problem" of "my holster and magazine pouch aren't a single unit" I've seen is the PHLster Flex.

Craptacular posted:

re: sidecars

Why connect the holster and mag pouch in the first place? What advantage does it supposedly offer? None that I can see. Just get a separate holster and mag carrier.

I never got it either. You can buy a good AIWB holster and a good magazine pouch from JMCK for the same price as one of those Tier-1 dealies. On days when I carry a reload, it takes me ENTIRE SECONDS to attach the mag carrier to my belt, and I can put it wherever on the belt and cant it however I want.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

poopgiggle posted:

They flex in a very limited fashion, like a door hinge.

The only intelligent solution to the "problem" of "my holster and magazine pouch aren't a single unit" I've seen is the PHLster Flex.

I never got it either. You can buy a good AIWB holster and a good magazine pouch from JMCK for the same price as one of those Tier-1 dealies. On days when I carry a reload, it takes me ENTIRE SECONDS to attach the mag carrier to my belt, and I can put it wherever on the belt and cant it however I want.

This is obviously a not a common issue but a training buddy liked them due to Hawaii's prohibition on transporting loaded firearms. For those who don't know, HPD flat out rejects any CCW applications so any sort of public carry is legally not going to happen. The combo allowed him to run AIWB while at his business, then unload the gun and transfer the whole setup to a backpack as one piece. If he got attacked by Zombie Ninja Cyborg Velociraptors on the way home, at least the ammo would be near the gun.

Uncommon problem but it did solve it.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Relocated, just drop the "y"

Grimey Drawer

I guess it makes me a terrible human being since I just put an extra 15rd mag in my jeans change pocket...

(Yeah, I know, some people can't wear jeans).

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Come to think of it I don't think I've carried a reload on a 15rd gun unless I was backpacking, and that spare was either in the chest bag. If I'm carrying my 1911 (which I'm doing more and more for some reason) or my Glock 43, I'll throw a spare (usually +2) mag in a pocket. When I'm carrying a J frame I tend to be lazier for whatever reason and just accept the 5 I got in the gun as the 5 I'm going to get.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Relocated, just drop the "y"

Grimey Drawer

I like having 25rds+ just in case I need to shop at Walmart.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My new dream is to conceal my new bangbang, which is a 629 with a 6" barrel. The way this Illinois "Spring" has been going, I will have plenty of excuses over the next month or two to wear a long coat that would facilitate such an epic carry. Seriously, this week, I've had my furnace on 3 days and my AC on for 2 days.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

I guess it makes me a terrible human being since I just put an extra 15rd mag in my jeans change pocket...

(Yeah, I know, some people can't wear jeans).

I do this pretty frequently.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Thanks everyone for the input about the Tier 1 Agis.

So for a solo holster without a sidecar, I've never carried AIWB, but I would like to try and I'm not sure what would be best or at least what would work best for me. I'm 5'8" and about 210lbs, so I want something comfortable and that doesn't print much.

My (relatively) cheap existing holsters for my M&P9 2.0c all seem to dig into my leg even when I just slightly bend over while standing. Is this normal or is this just because of my crappy holster that wasn't necessarily designed for AIWB or is this just what happens for pistols that size (e.g., Glock 19) when carrying appendix?

I've been looking at Vedder (specifically the lighttuck), Phlster (classic or spotlight), and JM Custom Kydex, but I'm a bit confused about what to get. I'm not sure what model would work best for my gun, body, and carry position.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just recent got a Kore Essentials EDC belt. I absolutely LOVE it. Instead of holes every inch or so it has a track system that clicks every 1/4" so it can be adjusted perfectly. I got the X1 Buckle and wear it every day. I usually rotate between a few belts but this one is just great so I wear it every day. I go through belts every 6 months or so and this one is probably going to last me a long time as long as the track system holds out.

You can get it 10% off with the KORENEW10 coupon.

is this really thick? hard to tell from pictures. I had to return my Vedder belt because the buckle bit +aiwb extended like 3 inches out

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Wangsbig posted:

is this really thick? hard to tell from pictures. I had to return my Vedder belt because the buckle bit +aiwb extended like 3 inches out

I can't speak to the Kore belt but specifically I have an issue with belt bulge when I wear a belt with a traditional buckle and I am carrying a normal thickness gun. I think this more of an issue for certain body types which is why you don't see too many people talking about belt bulge, most people's issue seems to be the grip printing.. I lower profile buckle can help, what I do as a workaround is to start threading my belt one loop further to the left, moving my buckle and the overlapping portion of belt left of my centerline. This would look goofy if anyone can see your belt, but if your shirt is untucked it doesn't really matter. I also carry spare mag(s) OWB to help with this issue unless I'm carrying a small/thin gun like a P365, where I don't have that issue with belt bulge and I can wear my belt normally and carry a mag AIWB without any noticeable bulge.

BadgerMan45 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 18, 2020

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i carry a 365xl and am thin n beautiful but I'd think overlapping layers of reinforced leather + a buckle would annoy anyone. am I doing it wrong

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wangsbig posted:

It's not super thick but it's pretty rigid. Probably not as rigid as those really thick military nylon gun belts but this is basically perfect for me. It's my thickest belt by far but I usually wear pretty small and flexible leather belts that you pick up at Kohl's or JC Penny. This is probably the perfect thickness for me. When this belt wears out I'm getting another one. It also perfectly fits through my belt loops on all of my pants. My usual belts are maybe half to 2/3rds the size of my belt loops or so and this one is much better.

drat, I wore really lovely belts. All of my future belts are going to take up much more of my belt loops. Compared to this Kore Essentials belt I was tying ropes around my waist.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 19, 2020

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's not super thick but it's pretty rigid. Probably not as rigid as those really thick military nylon gun belts but this is basically perfect for me. It's my thickest belt by far but I usually wear pretty small and flexible leather belts that you pick up at Kohl's or JC Penny. This is probably the perfect thickness for me. When this belt wears out I'm getting another one. It also perfectly fits through my belt loops on all of my pants. My usual belts are maybe half to 2/3rds the size of my belt loops or so and this one is much better.

drat, I wore really lovely belts. All of my future belts are going to take up much more of my belt loops. Compared to this Kore Essentials belt I was tying ropes around my waist.

heck, sold

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wangsbig posted:

heck, sold

Let me know how it works out for you. Obviously I'm pretty happy with mine.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

not that I had a lot of choice since these are the only folks making holsters for my new setup but does anyone have any experience with Tuxton Tactical?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I cannot decide which buckle I like the best. I'm learning towards a tan flat silver rectangle buckle with a spare leather black belt. Two quality belts and one buckle for $100 is reasonable. I just need something a little less bulky than my Crossbreed.

So am I correct in this assumption - AIWB creates a pretty big bulge around your belt buckle?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captain Log posted:

I cannot decide which buckle I like the best. I'm learning towards a tan flat silver rectangle buckle with a spare leather black belt. Two quality belts and one buckle for $100 is reasonable. I just need something a little less bulky than my Crossbreed.

So am I correct in this assumption - AIWB creates a pretty big bulge around your belt buckle?

You should just get a garishly large belt buckle so everyone's hyperfocused on it instead of whatever you're carrying.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

poeticoddity posted:

You should just get a garishly large belt buckle so everyone's hyperfocused on it instead of whatever you're carrying.

I am in desperate need of getting some clothes that fit, but all the clothes stores are closed for good reasons. I'll seriously consider AIWB once I have some pants that fit.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Captain Log posted:

It can, it depends on a few factors as to how big/noticeable it is. The biggest ones are how much stuff you're trying to jam in your pants (thickness/footprint of gun, AIWB mag carrier), the size/inflexibility of your belt and buckle, and your body type. Obviously more/bigger stuff makes a bigger bulge. It seems to be more noticeable if you have a small waist and/or your shirt or belly don't overhang your waist well. In my case, I have a pretty small waist and, while I'm not massive, I do lift and have a decent size chest/shoulders/etc, the way my torso is shaped I don't get much of an overhang from my shirt. This means that once the belt bulge gets past a certain point, it becomes very noticeable.

As I mentioned, my solution for this is to offset my belt buckle to the left of my centerline one loop and don't carry an IWB mag pouch unless I'm carrying a small/thin gun such as my P365. Using this method, I can carry a G19 w/RMR and you can't see any kind of noticeable bulge or printing unless I start doing the limbo.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Toshokan posted:

My (relatively) cheap existing holsters for my M&P9 2.0c all seem to dig into my leg even when I just slightly bend over while standing. Is this normal or is this just because of my crappy holster that wasn't necessarily designed for AIWB or is this just what happens for pistols that size (e.g., Glock 19) when carrying appendix?

A huge part of getting appendix to work is messing with position on your belt, cant, and ride height. Good AIWB holsters will let you adjust those parameters.

Some other features: Jon from PHLster talks about AIWB holster concepts in the 4 most recent videos on his youtube channel. This post from LuckyGunner does a pretty good job of explaining the various features you should be looking for.

quote:

I've been looking at Vedder (specifically the lighttuck), Phlster (classic or spotlight), and JM Custom Kydex, but I'm a bit confused about what to get. I'm not sure what model would work best for my gun, body, and carry position.

PHLster holsters have a good reputation. I have a City Special from them that I like but it's pretty different from their other offerings so I wouldn't count that as personal experience. I have a JMCK George and I like it a lot; it's basically an economy version of my current favorite holster, the Keepers Concealment Keeper.

Speaking of Keepers, their new Cornerstone holster is available for the Glock 19; it addresses the things I didn't like about the Keeper (adds tuckable clips and is $90 instead of $170) and I think it's worthy of consideration.

If you're looking at a Vedder Lighttuck, consider getting a Dark Star Gear Orion instead. It's the same concept (AIWB holster with tuckable steel clip + wing) but a little better thought out. Notably, material is removed in the place where it jams into your leg.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Anybody have any experience with the Seecamp .32s? I dont have a carry license "yet" but I think a small pocket gun would be fun.

Edit: I ask because the LGS has one on consignment for $200.

Target Practice fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 20, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Target Practice posted:

Anybody have any experience with the Seecamp .32s? I dont have a carry license "yet" but I think a small pocket gun would be fun.

I came extremely close to buying one when I bought my P3AT a millions years ago.

That's my story, thank you for listening.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Captain Log posted:

It bulges more than not carrying, but a belt buckle is a place where 100% of everyone is expecting a bulge, so it doesn't really matter. Get'choself a big-rear end Texas Sized buckle and that way if your shirt blows up everyone will see that first and chalk it up to you just bein' Cowboy Strong.

If you're skinny and bulge out in the front, everyone will just assume you're an engineer with a geek pregnancy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Being from the south, everyone expects me to line dance around in a cowboy hat and spurs as it is. I guess I could lean into it a little bit.

I still think I'm going to do the Amazon Holster Try Out Program - Buy one and return it if I can't make it work.

What's the Goon Standard AIWB? I see the same few names pop up and didn't know if one particular brand was separating itself from the pack.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What's the Goon Standard AIWB? I see the same few names pop up and didn't know if one particular brand was separating itself from the pack.

Check the blog post above from LuckyGunner (here's the link again) and that will give you a list of different features to look for.

Some stuff that I don't remember being in the article:

- A good holster for a short gun (see: DSG Hitchhiker) will have extra length below the end of the muzzle. Extra length below the belt keeps the grip from rotating outwards; it serves a similar purpose to the muzzle wedge. Some holsters forego extra length in favor of a muzzle wedge and that's fine too.
- IME, a wing causes less belt line signature than a belt wedge but is less comfortable.
- Tuckable clips (Dark Star's spring steel clip, Ulti-Clip, DCC clips) are more versatile than belt loops but it's harder to get the cant & ride height dialed in just right.
- A good AIWB holster will be as thin as possible in the dustcover/slide area. Compare the Vedder Lighttuck to the DSG Hitchhiker to see what I'm talking about; they're similar designs, but the Hitchhiker has material removed below the trigger guard where the Vedder doesn't. That translates to you not getting jabbed in the leg.
- You can add a muzzle wedge to any holster with a cut up yoga block and some stick-on Velcro. I've tried using a Dr Scholl's gel cup like some recommend but I found it to be too sticky; it grabbed my underwear and dragged it around, which I didn't care for.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Target Practice posted:

Edit: I ask because the LGS has one on consignment for $200.

Itís got snappy recoil for how heavy it is, itís DAO, and it doesnít have sights. That said, it is still a fun, tiny-rear end gun and Iíd be tempted to get one again at that price.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

poopgiggle posted:

A huge part of getting appendix to work is messing with position on your belt, cant, and ride height. Good AIWB holsters will let you adjust those parameters.

Some other features: Jon from PHLster talks about AIWB holster concepts in the 4 most recent videos on his youtube channel. This post from LuckyGunner does a pretty good job of explaining the various features you should be looking for.

PHLster holsters have a good reputation. I have a City Special from them that I like but it's pretty different from their other offerings so I wouldn't count that as personal experience. I have a JMCK George and I like it a lot; it's basically an economy version of my current favorite holster, the Keepers Concealment Keeper.

Speaking of Keepers, their new Cornerstone holster is available for the Glock 19; it addresses the things I didn't like about the Keeper (adds tuckable clips and is $90 instead of $170) and I think it's worthy of consideration.

If you're looking at a Vedder Lighttuck, consider getting a Dark Star Gear Orion instead. It's the same concept (AIWB holster with tuckable steel clip + wing) but a little better thought out. Notably, material is removed in the place where it jams into your leg.

poopgiggle posted:

Check the blog post above from LuckyGunner (here's the link again) and that will give you a list of different features to look for.

Some stuff that I don't remember being in the article:

- A good holster for a short gun (see: DSG Hitchhiker) will have extra length below the end of the muzzle. Extra length below the belt keeps the grip from rotating outwards; it serves a similar purpose to the muzzle wedge. Some holsters forego extra length in favor of a muzzle wedge and that's fine too.
- IME, a wing causes less belt line signature than a belt wedge but is less comfortable.
- Tuckable clips (Dark Star's spring steel clip, Ulti-Clip, DCC clips) are more versatile than belt loops but it's harder to get the cant & ride height dialed in just right.
- A good AIWB holster will be as thin as possible in the dustcover/slide area. Compare the Vedder Lighttuck to the DSG Hitchhiker to see what I'm talking about; they're similar designs, but the Hitchhiker has material removed below the trigger guard where the Vedder doesn't. That translates to you not getting jabbed in the leg.
- You can add a muzzle wedge to any holster with a cut up yoga block and some stick-on Velcro. I've tried using a Dr Scholl's gel cup like some recommend but I found it to be too sticky; it grabbed my underwear and dragged it around, which I didn't care for.

Thanks! These are all very helpful.

As far as the JMCK George goes, I'm a bit confused about some of the options. Which would be better, the flat muzzle pad, the angular muzzle pad, or the extra tuck feature?

Also, there are so many options for the belt attachment that I'm not sure what to pick. I know that I can get the others if it doesn't work out,, but I'm not sure what to try first.

I've been trying to see what the hole pattern is like for the George, but I can't seem to find any pictures without the attachments obscuring it. Could you take a picture of yours without atachments?

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Toshokan posted:

Thanks! These are all very helpful.

As far as the JMCK George goes, I'm a bit confused about some of the options. Which would be better, the flat muzzle pad, the angular muzzle pad, or the extra tuck feature?

Also, there are so many options for the belt attachment that I'm not sure what to pick. I know that I can get the others if it doesn't work out,, but I'm not sure what to try first.

I've been trying to see what the hole pattern is like for the George, but I can't seem to find any pictures without the attachments obscuring it. Could you take a picture of yours without atachments?

Your best bet is to email Tony at JMCK. He's pretty knowledgeable and also good about answering emails.

And I'd happily take a picture of mine but I'm unpacking right now and I haven't found the box where that holster is yet.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Anyone here still carry a KelTec P32? Debating selling mine - though itís TINY and reliable.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

A Real Hologram posted:

Anyone here still carry a KelTec P32? Debating selling mine - though itís TINY and reliable.

I still carry a P3AT pretty regularly. It's proven more reliable than my LCP up to this point. It had two hiccups in the first fifty rounds (if I'm remembering correctly), then ran like a top for over a decade. I've put a lot of rounds through mine without issue, once I learned to avoid the trigger bite.

Also, you'll get next to nothing for it. The LCP killed the market for people paying more than $75 for a used Kel Tec. If you have a private sale situation and could get $200, go for it. But when new LCPs are that price, it's hard to find a buyer like that.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Great points, you convinced me to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

A Real Hologram posted:

Great points, you convinced me to keep it.

«399 »