Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

After a bit more research and seeing the replies here, I'm going to get a six pack of POM and some inert trainers. Turns out in addition to the friend who is having dog trouble, my mom's pepper spray is ~15 years old, my partner's spray is about six years old, and my sister would like one as well. That leaves one for me to carry and a spare in case someone needs to use theirs anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

How hot is the POM pepper spray? I couldn't seem to find the scoville heat units listed on their website

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

lite_sleepr posted:

How hot is the POM pepper spray? I couldn't seem to find the scoville heat units listed on their website

Their website says 2 million.
https://get-pom.com/products/black-aqua-1

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

the real measure to look for is Major Capsaicinoids Content

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Can someone tell me if these Raven pocket shields are stupid? For five bucks, it's in impulse buy territory.

https://rcsgear.com/pocket-shield-coyote-brown?utm_campaign=april-13-ps-4.99&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

With nothing to cover the trigger guard, yes I would say that is stupid and you should just get a pocket holster

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

With nothing to cover the trigger guard, yes I would say that is stupid and you should just get a pocket holster

Itís not a holster you dope.

Itís a system to attach things so they donít slide around in your pocket. Knives, lights, chemical irritant, or spare magazines.

I had a beta version they sent me that was good for what it did. I donít carry a folding knife anymore, so I have enough pocket space to get by without one just fine, but if your pants pockets are routinely full, theyíre pretty good.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I've been using a Raven Eidolon but now all the cool kids are saying the Tenicor Velo is the new hotness. What is the truth of the matter?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The Automator posted:

Itís a system to attach things so they donít slide around in your pocket. Knives, lights, chemical irritant, or spare magazines.

I had a beta version they sent me that was good for what it did. I donít carry a folding knife anymore, so I have enough pocket space to get by without one just fine, but if your pants pockets are routinely full, theyíre pretty good.

I might pick one up just to dick around with it.

My left pocket is big wallet, folding knife, and pen flashlight.

My right is normally pocket gun, tiny wallet.

But I wear decently fitted jeans 99% of the time, so I don't think one of those shields would do too much for me.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

You could also try the Phlster Flex system, which seems to be pretty modular for carrying myriad pieces of gear.
https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/flex-concealed-carry-package/

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

The Automator posted:

LoL so it's what, MOLLE for the inside of your pocket? LoL

Regarding pepper spray chat, why go with this unheard of company Pom over, say, Saber Red when it comes to sprays?

Toshokan posted:

You could also try the Phlster Flex system, which seems to be pretty modular for carrying myriad pieces of gear.
https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/flex-concealed-carry-package/

careful having your non lethal directly next to your lethal... proved disastrously bad lately

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 15, 2021

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

LoL so it's what, MOLLE for the inside of your pocket? LoL

Regarding pepper spray chat, why go with this unheard of company Pom over, say, Saber Red when it comes to sprays?

Pom is "unheard of" now?

quote:

careful having your non lethal directly next to your lethal... proved disastrously bad lately

I don't know that someone is going to confuse a container of pepper spray for a firearm......

And I wasn't really implying that one should necessarily do that, just that it might be helpful for organizing and carrying a variety of stuff. You don't even have to mount your holster to it if you wanted to use it for other stuff, they even have a separate smaller version just for that.

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/flex-mini/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Toshokan posted:

I don't know that someone is going to confuse a container of pepper spray for a firearm......

I can think of two ways that can happen:

1. A police officer accidentally shoots a citizen when grab their firearm instead of their container of pepper spray.
  2. A police officer purposefully shoots a citizen when they see that citizen holding a container of pepper spray that they could have sworn was a firearm.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

infrared35 posted:

I've been using a Raven Eidolon but now all the cool kids are saying the Tenicor Velo is the new hotness. What is the truth of the matter?

I have been meaning to pick up the Eidolon. May I pick your brain about the pros/cons?

For the past few months I have used the Perun at the range and really liked it. Been split between that and the Stealthgear Ventcore for my first IWB holster.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Sy Borg posted:

I have been meaning to pick up the Eidolon. May I pick your brain about the pros/cons?

For the past few months I have used the Perun at the range and really liked it. Been split between that and the Stealthgear Ventcore for my first IWB holster.

Sure, go for it. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but they both seem comfortable and carry a G19 well for me, AIWB.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Im also on the pro-Eidolon AIWB crew.

Its super comfy and hides really well.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

You've touched on my biggest concerns, comfort and concealment. I was concerned how comfortable an all-polymer holster would be, considering the lack of fabric. The most attractive feature of the Stealthgear option is the mesh backing. How long did it take you to get used to wearing the holster? Also, is there a feature the holster lacks that would improve it, if added?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Sy Borg posted:

You've touched on my biggest concerns, comfort and concealment. I was concerned how comfortable an all-polymer holster would be, considering the lack of fabric. The most attractive feature of the Stealthgear option is the mesh backing. How long did it take you to get used to wearing the holster? Also, is there a feature the holster lacks that would improve it, if added?

One quick comment on that -

I've always worn undershirts, the A-strap type. This can mitigate any worries about a holster digging into you. Personally, I've never had an issue with discomffort but I wear holsters at 4 o'clock.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

One quick comment on that -

I've always worn undershirts, the A-strap type. This can mitigate any worries about a holster digging into you. Personally, I've never had an issue with discomffort but I wear holsters at 4 o'clock.

Iíve never worn undershirts beneath tees and golf shirts, always felt them bulky. But microfiber shirts, like Under Armour and their ilk, are my preference.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Iím going to be transitioning into wearing tucked shirts more often, so Iím becoming interested in belly bands. Pocket carry doesnít appeal much to me because my options for carry are either a M&P Shield EZ or a Ruger LCRx, neither of which fits completely in a standard slacks pocket.

I know there was some talk of belly bands earlier, does anyone have experience with a brand theyíd recommend? I see that Galco offers some, but they have lots of mag pouches and stuff thatís a little overkill for me. I also see that Crossbreed offers some that have more traditional holsters configured into them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Iím going to be transitioning into wearing tucked shirts more often, so Iím becoming interested in belly bands. Pocket carry doesnít appeal much to me because my options for carry are either a M&P Shield EZ or a Ruger LCRx, neither of which fits completely in a standard slacks pocket.

I know there was some talk of belly bands earlier, does anyone have experience with a brand theyíd recommend? I see that Galco offers some, but they have lots of mag pouches and stuff thatís a little overkill for me. I also see that Crossbreed offers some that have more traditional holsters configured into them.

Quick Question - Do you feel like you could do a reasonable draw with a belly band versus a pocket holster?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question - Do you feel like you could do a reasonable draw with a belly band versus a pocket holster?

It certainly isnít ideal, with having to rip the cover garment either open or up before a draw. Iíve never tried to use one, so itís hard to say definitively, but it doesnít seem terribly more obstructive than lifting a loose shirt before a draw.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Anonymous Robot posted:

It certainly isnít ideal, with having to rip the cover garment either open or up before a draw. Iíve never tried to use one, so itís hard to say definitively, but it doesnít seem terribly more obstructive than lifting a loose shirt before a draw.

I'm a big time proponent of pocket carry when clothing is restrictive. A good holster would make all the difference in the world. But I agree, small revolvers aren't ideal for a tight pocket. But it really depends how you dress.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

What about a tuckable holster instead?

Yes, you'd have the clip visible on your belt line, but most people wouldn't make much of it even if they saw it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I live in an area thatís very unfriendly to firearms carry, so Iíd prefer to avoid the visible clips.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I prefer ankle carry over belly bands and the like for bus cas. They have their own caveats, but I find it the most convenient and easiest to access.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The Automator posted:

I prefer ankle carry over belly bands and the like for bus cas. They have their own caveats, but I find it the most convenient and easiest to access.

This is why I ankle carry if I'm driving a lot.

It's important to consider being able to draw seated, especially in your car. You can get attacked in a parking lot.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

If youíre going to be attacked, a parking lot is a very very likely place.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

You donít need to tell me; itís already happened. What stands out amongst ankle holsters? I was averse to the idea because I perpetually prop my ankle on my thigh when sitting, but I can get over that.

It seems like a Ruger LCRx should be fine in one of those.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

The Automator posted:

If you’re going to be attacked, a parking lot is a very very likely place.

Throwback to the time I drove to my gym at night and a dude who's been harassing me for multiple years made a beeline for my truck before I could even throw it into park.

I just drove off and came back later, but that guy is about half the reason I switched from off-body carry in my gym bag to a SmartCarry holster for when I'm not wearing a belt.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

I like the Galco personally, but most are decent if you pay attention and replace as needed. The stretch can wear out on you.

Practice your draw from a variety of positions. One of the things I like about ankle carry in an office environment is that thereís enough waist high things around that kneeling isnít a bad idea anyway.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'd also recommend doing a lot of practice with just wearing the thing around the house. You don't want to accidentally boot your gun or something silly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hmm... I'd be interested in an ankle holster too. From what I gathered in the past in here they're absolutely horrible and no one should ever use one. But if it's ok now then I'm really curious due to car carry. Any recommendations?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

I find the idea of bending down, hiking up your pant leg to draw out a snubbie while being attacked to be comical.

Consider a SmartCarry?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

If the only concern is carrying while seated/driving, wouldn't a shoulder holster make the most sense? It seems like it'd be a better option over an ankle holster in almost every way other than cost and the need for a cover garment.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

No, because you're still bending down or lifting your leg up at the same time, in a confined space such as a car cabin, while seat belted in. Better to use an aIWB or OWB as usual.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

No, because you're still bending down or lifting your leg up at the same time, in a confined space such as a car cabin, while seat belted in. Better to use an aIWB or OWB as usual.

???

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Even my gimp rear end can reach my ankle in a car without much effort. Ankle carry is awesome for being stuck seated for extended periods.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

PHLster Enigma is tuckable and has been good for me. Bit of a waitlist though, and thereís some assembly required. I was OK but another poster ITT had trouble.

DCC also makes behind-the-belt clips that clip to the waistband of your pants. I put one on a City Special (also PHLster, coincidentally) J-frame holster and it works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

poopgiggle posted:

PHLster Enigma is tuckable and has been good for me. Bit of a waitlist though, and thereís some assembly required. I was OK but another poster ITT had trouble.

DCC also makes behind-the-belt clips that clip to the waistband of your pants. I put one on a City Special (also PHLster, coincidentally) J-frame holster and it works well.

Would those be the HLR Discreet clips? I was looking at a similar behind-the-belt clips and was put off by some negative reviews, but if it works for you then itís worth investigating.