Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

poopgiggle posted:

PHLster Enigma is tuckable and has been good for me. Bit of a waitlist though, and thereís some assembly required. I was OK but another poster ITT had trouble.

For what it's worth, it's a little better now that I've had time to futz with it and move things about and so on. It's still slightly uncomfortable and not much better with printing than my other options but it works. Probably wouldn't have spent the near $200 on it if I knew how much effort it would require to get set up how I'd like it just barely comfortable. Nice to have sweatpants/gym shorts options, though.

Unsurprisingly they did not post my not-so-stellar review on their site (at least not as of this posting). It's still all 5 star reviews...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

Anonymous Robot posted:

Would those be the HLR Discreet clips? I was looking at a similar behind-the-belt clips and was put off by some negative reviews, but if it works for you then it’s worth investigating.

You could also do Ulticlips. They would clip pretty tight to the pants behind the belt and be basically invisible.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

An ankle holster sounds like a good way to give yourself back problems unless youíre going to wear an ankle weight on the other foot.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Even a small amount of uneven gait can really gently caress you up over the long term.

I just carry ~4 o-clock in a kydex clip-on holster. When I get in the car for a longer drive it gets tucked in between my seat and center console where I can still get at it if I need it. An ankle holster specifically for car carry seems like overthinking the solution.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

I'm so happy I don't see anyone recommending a magnetic car device. They're the worst idea.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I had a friend send me a picture and ask about one of them the other day. Didn't even cover the trigger. Seems like a terrible idea.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

Akion posted:

I had a friend send me a picture and ask about one of them the other day. Didn't even cover the trigger. Seems like a terrible idea.

My personal favorite is that in an accident, the firearm will gently caress of to who knows where. And yeah, it's just a magnet that you stick the unholstered pistol to. Any trigger cover would be in the way.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

sharkytm posted:

I'm so happy I don't see anyone recommending a magnetic car device. They're the worst idea.

I'm now wondering if you could make a mount that would rack a "cruiser ready" pump shotgun when you slam on the breaks hard enough.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

poeticoddity posted:

I'm now wondering if you could make a mount that would rack a "cruiser ready" pump shotgun when you slam on the breaks hard enough.

Only if the activation weight was a TacSack.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Would those be the HLR Discreet clips? I was looking at a similar behind-the-belt clips and was put off by some negative reviews, but if it works for you then itís worth investigating.

Yup. Specifically, I have the Mod 5.1.

They have trouble clipping onto BJJ gi pants (the drawstring is too big) but itís been fine on other pants.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Internet Wizard posted:

An ankle holster sounds like a good way to give yourself back problems unless youíre going to wear an ankle weight on the other foot.

Ankle med kit, duh.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

Ankle med kids seem like a decent enough idea. Any med kit you can wear on your person is a good enough idea. But I dunno, I feel like it'd be unpleasant to wear in hot weather.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Clearly the best holster is a quick slide deal strapped to your wrist like Taxi Driver/Aliens 4/Django Unchained

Real talk: how many of you have a Sig 365, and do y'all like it? I'm not interested in the XL but the smaller one with scope rails is intriguing. I can't hold one in my hands because pandemic in upstate New York really hosed up the supplies of anything gun related.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

sharkytm posted:

I've seen some advertised as having FIFTY WHOLE POUNDS OF HOLDING FORCE!!!

Hmmm, I wonder how much force two loving multiple tonne vehicles slamming into each other generates?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Anyone using one of those magnetic car holders is obligated to use one of those pistol bayonets too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

Missing Name posted:

Clearly the best holster is a quick slide deal strapped to your wrist like Taxi Driver/Aliens 4/Django Unchained

Real talk: how many of you have a Sig 365, and do y'all like it? I'm not interested in the XL but the smaller one with scope rails is intriguing. I can't hold one in my hands because pandemic in upstate New York really hosed up the supplies of anything gun related.

I shot one when I was buying my carry gun. I liked the capacity (although it was only 10, thanks MA), and it's accurate enough, but I didn't like the feel as much as the Shield that I ended up buying. Lots of people love them, but it just didn't feel right to me. Call around, there are plenty of them out there, and lots of people have them. A good shop might know someone who would bring it in for you to check out. Any decent rental range will have one.

Akion posted:

Anyone using one of those magnetic car holders is obligated to use one of those pistol bayonets too.

Only if they also have a pistol scope mounted, too.

All the accessories. All. Of. Then.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Akion posted:

Hey! Get out of my safe!

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Missing Name posted:

365 is nice enough but I prefer the shield as well. Love the shield 2.0 and is like to get my hands on the shield plus.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

Toshokan posted:

365 is nice enough but I prefer the shield as well. Love the shield 2.0 and is like to get my hands on the shield plus.

2 of us!
Everyone thought I was nuts.

The Shield has been a stunningly reliable gun. Steel case, AL case, 115g, 147g, dirty, clean, doesn't seem to matter. My only gripe is the dumb "you don't need to pull the trigger" lever. I used it the first time I stripped the gun, and it took 20 minutes to get it put back because I didn't want to break anything. gently caress that lever. Just pull the drat trigger.

I do want to put a free state trigger in it... drat MA 10# trigger is kind of a drag.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 23, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I have a shield 1, and I like it but I both prefer and shoot better with the 365.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Looking for a drill or two to practice this weekend. Trying to work on draw and accurate shot, then follow ups. Would like to restrict the round count, but I can certainly go through ~75 - 100 rounds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

Looking for a drill or two to practice this weekend. Trying to work on draw and accurate shot, then follow ups. Would like to restrict the round count, but I can certainly go through ~75 - 100 rounds.

bill drill

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

sharkytm posted:

2 of us!
Everyone thought I was nuts.

The Shield has been a stunningly reliable gun. Steel case, AL case, 115g, 147g, dirty, clean, doesn't seem to matter. My only gripe is the dumb "you don't need to pull the trigger" lever. I used it the first time I stripped the gun, and it took 20 minutes to get it put back because I didn't want to break anything. gently caress that lever. Just pull the drat trigger.

I do want to put a free state trigger in it... drat MA 10# trigger is kind of a drag.

Yeah, even though I really like 365 and most of the other micro compact guns I've tried, the 2.0 shield just wins every time. I just shoot it better and it feels better in my hand.

And I don't get why people are so weird about pulling the trigger for disassembly. Like, you checked that it's empty visually and tactically, it's pointed in a safe direction, the magazine isn't in the gun, and the slide is back. What's the big deal?

armorer posted:

I have a shield 1, and I like it but I both prefer and shoot better with the 365.

There's your problems. All the 1.0 M&Ps, full, compact, and shields, have dogshit triggers and are just nowhere near as good as the 2.0 variants. It's such a night and day difference that I would have been warded off from M&Ps if all I ever tried were 1.0s.

This is why I'm so hyped about the Shield Plus with it's new trigger, though I don't really want to drop that much money on a gun I really don't need right now and I don't like being an early adopter, especially when it comes to carry guns.

Speaking of Shields, I did a thing to mine recently.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I think dogshit is a bit strong, it's not that godawful. It's been my go to carry piece for years and is fine really. I had planned to replace it with a 365, but just never got around to it and now prices are loving lol.

Maybe once everything settles down again in another year or two I'll test drive the shield plus alongside another 365. When I did that with my shield 1 I was faster and more accurate on drills with the 365, and it just felt better as well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My M&P 9c had the worst trigger. I couldn't hit anything with it and I was considering selling it. I read a lot about it and people say if you upgrade to an Apex trigger it's much better. Well I did that and it's a completely different gun. I shoot extremely well with it now. Completely night and day.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Iím definitely a believer in tigger upgrades. Crazy how much it affects my accuracy.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Yeah I would swap the trigger in it but I fall in the "don't put an aftermarket trigger in your carry pistol" camp. Not trying to start yet another derail about it though.

I'll just get a better gun at some point.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

lite_sleepr posted:

dot torture?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

Two ankles - two guns

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have a Shield 2.0 as well! Mine is one of the 4" barrels though.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I got the shield 1.0 when they had the crazy sale/rebate before the 2.0 came out.

It was ~$175 or something with 4 mags after rebate.

For the price it's been the perfect carry piece.

I can shoot it well. It was cheap. It runs everything I have tried in it including cast 105grn .38spl lee swc 9mm reloads I make because they are cheap.

If I ever actually have to use it in a life or death ccw situation I won't have any monetary or sentimental value in it.

My only issue with it was the paint dots on the rear sight were not filled right from the factory but nailpolish and a toothpick took care of it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I still carry my Kel Tec P3AT the most. If something works, it works. It ain't pretty and it's hard to shoot, but I'm never precluding from carrying by my outfit.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Ankle med kids seem like a decent enough idea. Any med kit you can wear on your person is a good enough idea. But I dunno, I feel like it'd be unpleasant to wear in hot weather.

I've got a couple different ankle IFAKs that I've used at work over the years. Yeah they can get uncomfortable at times in summer, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

I kind of feel like if you need to carry so much stuff on your person that you have to routinely start using your ankles and lower arms for carrying things you probably need to take a step back and evaluate your life choices. Ankle weapon carry makes sense in certain circumstances but a first aid kit seems like a thing worth clearing off belt, bag, or pocket space for.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The one NAR makes is light enough to hold a CAT, 4Ē emergency trauma dressing, and a pair of nitrile gloves. I was wearing mine more in between the election and the inauguration (especially following January 6, when it was discovered a local B&B had inadvertently hosted some insurrectionists in my DC neighborhood) but havenít for a bit. I found it lightweight and it didnít affect my gait, but I did have to be mindful about making sure I had my pant leg pulled down low enough.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Some of y'all just need to embrace the Man Bag.

My Timbuk 2 Man Bag is always with me and has enough useful stuff that I could walk into a hotel and be fine for a few days, minus food.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Man, I briefly went to the range a couple days ago and I can't trust anything I own except my shotgun and 1911 apparently.

First up was a brand new Beretta Px4 Storm subcompact. I'm super low on 9mm so I only brought a single box of 115gr FMJ Fiocchi with me. It handled really well and the first two mags were flawless. The third and part of the fourth started double-feeding (along with a couple failure to eject) with almost every round though. I made sure to firmly smack the mag back in after clearing the jams but it kept happening. I'm quite sure it wasn't my grip and I would have expected to happen when I first shot the thing in that case or when I one-handed the last five shots. When I get the chance I'm going to strip it down and see if I can spot anything wrong with it and check the magazines as well. I don't have enough ammo to take it back out for a while though.

Then my LCP (which I carry AIWB and clean monthly) hung up on the first two shots. I had to tap the slide to make it go back into battery. After that, it functioned flawlessly for the next 50 rounds that I put through it.

I really want to just get a Glock 42 or 43 and ditch the LCP but everything is out of stock or out of my price range currently. I was going to see about carrying the Px4 but I now have to figure out what is causing the issues first.

Midjack posted:

I kind of feel like if you need to carry so much stuff on your person that you have to routinely start using your ankles and lower arms for carrying things you probably need to take a step back and evaluate your life choices. Ankle weapon carry makes sense in certain circumstances but a first aid kit seems like a thing worth clearing off belt, bag, or pocket space for.

Yeah, I was looking at ankle kits but to be fair I carry a lot of crap in my pockets. Phone and wallet take up my two front pockets and I've got a bunch of stuff that I tend to use in my other pockets. I have to sit a lot at work and since I already have back issues nothing goes in my back pockets. Currently, I just have a kit in my car (CAT, 4" and 6" Israeli emergency bandages, handful of 4" x 4" gauze, Kerlix roll, tape, shears, gloves). We have a bleeding control kit at work that has a SWAT-T so I haven't felt the need to either bring my personal one in or wear an ankle one. I am still considering an ankle kit for when I'm out and about on foot and can't bring my backpack with me.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Some of y'all just need to embrace the Man Bag.

My Timbuk 2 Man Bag is always with me and has enough useful stuff that I could walk into a hotel and be fine for a few days, minus food.

I have a maxpedition slingback that's been all over the world with me for the last 10+ years. Still holding up well. I wouldn't mind a slightly less tactical looking one but it works well.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Akion posted:

I have a maxpedition slingback that's been all over the world with me for the last 10+ years. Still holding up well. I wouldn't mind a slightly less tactical looking one but it works well.

That's what I like about my Timbuk 2 - It isn't all Grey Man Tactical. I had one that went with me to Europe a few times, but I really disliked the color and gave it to a friend. I wear a lot of this particular shade of green, including the sneakers that work with my braces, so this is perfect. It also has a hidden chest strap, which makes it a lot less burdensome if I have to do some trekking. (Not much of an issue these days.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Polka_Rapper posted:

First up was a brand new Beretta Px4 Storm subcompact. I'm super low on 9mm so I only brought a single box of 115gr FMJ Fiocchi with me. It handled really well and the first two mags were flawless. The third and part of the fourth started double-feeding (along with a couple failure to eject) with almost every round though. I made sure to firmly smack the mag back in after clearing the jams but it kept happening. I'm quite sure it wasn't my grip and I would have expected to happen when I first shot the thing in that case or when I one-handed the last five shots. When I get the chance I'm going to strip it down and see if I can spot anything wrong with it and check the magazines as well. I don't have enough ammo to take it back out for a while though.
had a similar issue (not as bad, but semi-regular jams) with a Px4 Compact Carry model i picked up; the recommendation i got was to run some slightly-hotter-than-115gr rounds through it and that seemed to solve the problem, honestly. that said... easier to randomly pick up some ammo in this scenario a couple of years ago, right? so that might not be an option.