Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Toshokan posted:

Speaking of this. Are any of the insurance providers any good or worth the cost? USCCA seems to suck, both in terms of cost and coverage.

I ended up going with USCCA. ALCDN seemed like a good option as well but I wonder how many cases they can support at once. I went with USCCA because it seems like most folks choose that one (perhaps we're being fleeced), they cover all self defense (not just firearms), and their training seemed OK. I wonder if their training would help in court as well to set a precedent for "self defense" rather than "bloodthirsty murderizer" but I don't know.

What about it seemed to suck? It does lean a little on the CHUD side but I haven't heard any horror stories yet. Maybe I should look a little further into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

knuthgrush posted:

I ended up going with USCCA. ALCDN seemed like a good option as well but I wonder how many cases they can support at once. I went with USCCA because it seems like most folks choose that one (perhaps we're being fleeced), they cover all self defense (not just firearms), and their training seemed OK. I wonder if their training would help in court as well to set a precedent for "self defense" rather than "bloodthirsty murderizer" but I don't know.

What about it seemed to suck? It does lean a little on the CHUD side but I haven't heard any horror stories yet. Maybe I should look a little further into it.

It's a minimum of $300 per year and they have hard limits of how much they'll cover.

There's currently a lawsuit against them for not paying out what they promised, because after paying $50,000 they decided they didn't think the circumstances of the case qualified for paying out the remaining $100,000.

https://lawofselfdefense.com/uscca-sued-in-federal-court-refused-to-cover-platinum-member/

https://www.thetowntalk.com/story/news/2020/08/05/kayla-giles-criminal-murder-case-hearing-continued-until-early-november/3175699001/

So, while the details of the case are pretty suspect (it's very possible that Giles planned to kill her ex beforehand), they've already shown they'll renege on paying, which is a red flag to me.

More importantly, Giles has not even gone to trial yet and her defense has already cost over $150,000. Add in the rest of the pre-trial prep and the trial itself and you're looking at well more than the $250,000 limit they have now, and that's not even getting into appeals if you lose and get convicted.

I either want insurance with a limit that's far cheaper (and ideally from a less suspect company) or one with no limit for the same price. I don't really know much about ALCDN.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Wouldn't it be a lot more practical to contact a criminal defense attorney ahead of time and get their number in your phone? Paying a premium for access to lawyers, when most lawyers don't charge you for a phone call, sounds like a "Pre-Paid Legal" scam.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Captain Log posted:

Wouldn't it be a lot more practical to contact a criminal defense attorney ahead of time and get their number in your phone? Paying a premium for access to lawyers, when most lawyers don't charge you for a phone call, sounds like a "Pre-Paid Legal" scam.

Yeah this seems reasonable but you're still boned after the fact. Point is many people can't afford lawyers so if you lose the case, not only are you hosed for life but you're also financially ruined and that might expand to your family.

I'd definitely like a better option than USCCA but I'm not sure that one exists. I've scoured the web for options and it seems like USCCA or ALCDN are about the best options at the moment, even if one is maybe shady and the other has the possibility of being stretched too thin.

I'm probably not the best end user for these things so maybe I'm throwing my money away. I have my permit so I can carry concealed when I'm in the woods and protect myself from animals (mostly hogs). I don't carry very often when I'm out and about because the consequences of taking a life with a firearm are messy and I have USCCA because if it comes to fists then they'll allegedly help me there, too.

All of that being said, I know surprisingly little to nothing about attorneys despite having LEO in my immediate family and leasing an office in the same building as some lawyers for years. I should do some searching to see if there's any reputable ones around me and see how one maintains that relationship properly.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

I was looking at the magazine in one of my carry guns (M&P 2.0 compact 4") and noticed that several rounds (all 147gr Federal HST 9mm) at the top of the magazine have dents in the top of the casing just below the mouth. I can't be sure if they looked like this when I loaded the magazine, though I'd like to think I wouldn't have loaded them in a carry mag if they looked like this.

I also measured their lengths with calipers and most were the same length as a control round not in the magazine, but a couple were longer (by about 0.2mm) and one was substantially shorter (some kind of setback even though it has never been chambered).

Is this normal or is there something wrong with the rounds without setback? If the latter, is there something wrong with my magazine?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I've only ever noticed setback on rounds that have been chambered repeatedly and I try to rotate them out pretty regularly. Are you chambering/unchambering pretty regularly?

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Akion posted:

I've only ever noticed setback on rounds that have been chambered repeatedly and I try to rotate them out pretty regularly. Are you chambering/unchambering pretty regularly?

None of these rounds have ever been chambered in any firearm ever.

They were loaded into the magazine that came with the gun and have been there since. The only thing that has happened since then is ejecting and reinserting the magazine into the gun. Could they look like this from inserting the full mag with the slide in battery?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

poopgiggle posted:

It's actually possible to fail Texas' shooting test. That counts for something I suppose.

I was an RSO for a CHL class in Houston where a guy completely and totally failed to hit the target with his first 10 rounds... at three yards.

Shooter was around 50 years old, shooting a S&W revolver, maybe a Model 10.

The instructor called for a cold range and had just that guy fire five more rounds while both of us watched him and his target. Not one hole in the paper.

He was removed from the line and the instructor offered to teach him one-on-one for free until he was able to put the rounds on target. No CHL for him that day. To his credit, he did come back a few weeks later and was very receptive to instruction and correction.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Toshokan posted:

None of these rounds have ever been chambered in any firearm ever.

They were loaded into the magazine that came with the gun and have been there since. The only thing that has happened since then is ejecting and reinserting the magazine into the gun. Could they look like this from inserting the full mag with the slide in battery?

I don't have the experience of some of the other posters here, but I've never seen inserting/removing a mag do that to rounds not being chambered. It's possible they were just manufacturing defects (though HST seems to be pretty good about being consistent in my experience).

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Akion posted:

I don't have the experience of some of the other posters here, but I've never seen inserting/removing a mag do that to rounds not being chambered. It's possible they were just manufacturing defects (though HST seems to be pretty good about being consistent in my experience).
Think it's still safe to shoot them at the range or would it be too risky, e.g. the denying affecting the crimping or case volumeand affecting the pressure?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

PhotoKirk posted:

I was an RSO for a CHL class in Houston where a guy completely and totally failed to hit the target with his first 10 rounds... at three yards.

Shooter was around 50 years old, shooting a S&W revolver, maybe a Model 10.

The instructor called for a cold range and had just that guy fire five more rounds while both of us watched him and his target. Not one hole in the paper.

He was removed from the line and the instructor offered to teach him one-on-one for free until he was able to put the rounds on target. No CHL for him that day. To his credit, he did come back a few weeks later and was very receptive to instruction and correction.

So what was he doing wrong? Jerking the trigger to pull his rounds way off to the side, anticipating recoil and flinching down? I just can't picture how you can gently caress up so badly that you're completely off-target at less than ten feet.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Toshokan posted:

Think it's still safe to shoot them at the range or would it be too risky, e.g. the denying affecting the crimping or case volumeand affecting the pressure?

That's a personal decision. Is potentially having your gun KB worth $4-5 in ammo?

I personally won't shoot suspect ammo for the reason of the potential costs ($500 Glock + the hands I use to make a living) outweigh the savings.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Akion posted:

That's a personal decision. Is potentially having your gun KB worth $4-5 in ammo?

I personally won't shoot suspect ammo for the reason of the potential costs ($500 Glock + the hands I use to make a living) outweigh the savings.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, which is I why I posted here in the first place.

Think any of the individual components are salvageable, especially the bullets and casings?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Dick Burglar posted:

So what was he doing wrong? Jerking the trigger to pull his rounds way off to the side, anticipating recoil and flinching down? I just can't picture how you can gently caress up so badly that you're completely off-target at less than ten feet.

I call it "shaking the bullets out of the gun". Stab the gun at the target while flinching and jerking the trigger, you see it a lot in movies.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Toshokan posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, which is I why I posted here in the first place.

Think any of the individual components are salvageable, especially the bullets and casings?

I'd guess the powder and bullet are salvageable. Primers too.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Akion posted:

I'd guess the powder and bullet are salvageable. Primers too.

Cool, thanks.

Anyone ever used a comp on a carry gun, especially a subcompact? I never really thought about it before but I just randomly stumbled on some stuff about the Griffin micro carry comp and it looked pretty cool, so if anyone had experience with it specifically that would help as well.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/micro-carry-comp-1-2x28/

I thought it might help my shield or other similar sized guns be a bit less snappy, though with the small size I'm not expecting miracles or performance like a service pistol with a big gently caress off competition break or comp.

I know about all the tradeoffs of running a comp or ported barrel (e.g. the....unpleasantness of shooting from retention, if necessary), but I don't think most of the issues would be a bother except for tuning the gun. I really don't want to have to mess around with recoil springs (I can't afford to be picky about ammo that would work with it in this scarcity), so if I had to do that with my shield, that would be a deal breaker.

Am I wrong to think that the tiny comp and the small size of these guns (i.e. already less slide weight to be moved with the same force generated compared to service guns) would mean that it there would be negligible impact on reliability?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I put an Agency 416 on my G19 and saw a pretty wild difference. A buddy of mine has a Griffen micro on his G19 and says its a pretty noticeable difference as well. I already had aftermarket springs in there so I cant speak to how stock springs would have ran.

My 19 is now about the length of a 34, but I am a big enough guy to still wear it well. The microcomp would make less of an impact on the length of things.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Toshokan posted:

I know about all the tradeoffs of running a comp or ported barrel (e.g. the....unpleasantness of shooting from retention, if necessary)

That's one issue, but to me a bigger issue is the potential for bullet jacket fragments or burning powder, which are way more likely on a ported barrel than with a comp.

Edit: for reference, I was in a close-quarters handgun class where the instructor demonstrated the difference by shooting a Shield with a ported barrel, and a G26 with a comp, both with a piece of cardboard held immediately over the gun. The comped Glock cardboard definitely had some powder residue on it, but the Shield's cardboard had obvious holes and tattooing from bits of bullet jacket and burning powder.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 11, 2021

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I have that Griffin comp on my 17 and it does make a difference in recoil - not as much as the bigger comps do. The main thing it does is keep the weapon light clean.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

infrared35 posted:

That's one issue, but to me a bigger issue is the potential for bullet jacket fragments or burning powder, which are way more likely on a ported barrel than with a comp.

Edit: for reference, I was in a close-quarters handgun class where the instructor demonstrated the difference by shooting a Shield with a ported barrel, and a G26 with a comp, both with a piece of cardboard held immediately over the gun. The comped Glock cardboard definitely had some powder residue on it, but the Shield's cardboard had obvious holes and tattooing from bits of bullet jacket and burning powder.

Oof, that's a major part of why I'm not interested in porting.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I have that Griffin comp on my 17 and it does make a difference in recoil - not as much as the bigger comps do. The main thing it does is keep the weapon light clean.

Did you have to mess around with recoil springs or do you just have a stock spring with it?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Toshokan posted:

Oof, that's a major part of why I'm not interested in porting.

Did you have to mess around with recoil springs or do you just have a stock spring with it?

No issues spring wise. Runs cheap 115gr just fine. I also had no issues with the KE Arms comp which is a bigger square type. I have began to have issues now that I upgraded to the KKM comp which is a lot more aggressive but it's still very usable and works fine with hotter ammo.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

No issues spring wise. Runs cheap 115gr just fine. I also had no issues with the KE Arms comp which is a bigger square type. I have began to have issues now that I upgraded to the KKM comp which is a lot more aggressive but it's still very usable and works fine with hotter ammo.

Awesome, thanks!

Unrelated question, anyone ever use ANR kydex holsters?

https://www.anrdesignkydexholster.com/

I've never heard of them before, but very recently they've popped up several times on gun-related subreddits. They look nice on their website, if a little bulky compared other brands I've seen and used (e.g., JMCK), and they seem a little pricey to just add a claw ($18-20).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

I have an ANR holster and a JMCK holster. I canít speak to a difference in bulk because one is for a compact revolver and the other is a full-sized pistol, but I have no complaints with the ANR and the quality seems comparable.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have an ANR holster and a JMCK holster. I can’t speak to a difference in bulk because one is for a compact revolver and the other is a full-sized pistol, but I have no complaints with the ANR and the quality seems comparable.

Did you get it in Peni-flage? You know, the penis-shaped camo pattern. I know the guy behind AnR, and... Yeah, that's about what I'd expect from him. I can't support him for that reason alone.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

sharkytm posted:

Did you get it in Peni-flage? You know, the penis-shaped camo pattern. I know the guy behind AnR, and... Yeah, that's about what I'd expect from him. I can't support him for that reason alone.

Help me parse this post. Are you saying that the owner thinking the penis camo is funny is a reason not to buy from him because if so

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Quickly looking at their site, it looks like all their AIWB poo poo uses FOMI clips instead of better options like soft loops, DCC clips, etc.

I'd pass on that basis alone.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

Loucks posted:

Help me parse this post. Are you saying that the owner thinking the penis camo is funny is a reason not to buy from him because if so

He was a lazy dickhead wannabe frat boy. Everything was a dick joke when we worked at the same place. It wasn't funny then, and it ain't funny now.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

poopgiggle posted:

Quickly looking at their site, it looks like all their AIWB poo poo uses FOMI clips instead of better options like soft loops, DCC clips, etc.

I'd pass on that basis alone.

Eh, it's easy to replace, though I admit it sucks to spend more money instead of getting a good attachment out of the gate.

I'm partial to the JMCK split loop.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

sharkytm posted:

He was a lazy dickhead wannabe frat boy. Everything was a dick joke when we worked at the same place. It wasn't funny then, and it ain't funny now.

Oh, well thatís lame. The penis camo is still funny though.

Iím unimpressed with those holsters from a design standpoint anyway. There are far better options out there.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/BoundMaid/status/1391575117793267716

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Lol. I enjoy playing "whos carrying" and don't count the guys getting out of a brodozer with glock stickers because thats just a free space.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I got something from Midway USA about 5.11 pants, and until then, I had no idea that was a thing.

Tactical pants.

I like cargo pants. Is there anything wrong with 5.11 pants? Are they run by chuds or something?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

As far as I know they're not any more chuddy than any other gun-adjacent brand, but they are the most recognized brand making tactical dress up clothes for the worst people. There's better options. Duluth and patagonia both come to mind.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

stealie72 posted:

Lol. I enjoy playing "whos carrying" and don't count the guys getting out of a brodozer with glock stickers because thats just a free space.

I lived in a university-owned house for a while and another person there had a sig sticker on their car. Because it was university property they forbade having weapons in the house even if you had a carry permit etc, so rather than just being smart and not letting anyone know he had it in the house, he would leave his carry gun in the glovebox of his car.. in a lot in a student housing area near a campus in a major city.

It took 2 weeks of parking there before someone smashed the passenger window and ripped his glovebox open and took his gun. It surprised me that it took even that long. I told him initially that those stickers are dumb and serve to self-select your vehicle for a smash and grab. He thought having it on his car meant "don't gently caress with me" and he learned that lesson the hard way.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sadly, I've been wearing 5.11 long sleeve button down shirts for... 10? 12? years now. Carhartt double-front pants most of the time, although I wore 5.11 in the desert, as that was our mandated uniform.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Toshokan posted:

Eh, it's easy to replace, though I admit it sucks to spend more money instead of getting a good attachment out of the gate.

I'm partial to the JMCK split loop.

Yeah the DCC Monoblock exists solely to replace lovely FOMI clips but getting a good holster from JMCK is basically the same price.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

For my anti-grayman money, I wear Vertx pants instead of 5.11. And a Magpul jacket. And a Centrifuge Training hat.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Toshokan posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Unrelated question, anyone ever use ANR kydex holsters?

https://www.anrdesignkydexholster.com/

I've never heard of them before, but very recently they've popped up several times on gun-related subreddits. They look nice on their website, if a little bulky compared other brands I've seen and used (e.g., JMCK), and they seem a little pricey to just add a claw ($18-20).

I've used one daily for a couple of months, I like it more than my Vedder Lighttuck. I did replace their FOMI with a DCC Monoblock. It rides a little lower than I prefer. I'll probably get an upgrade next year, but for now it's solid for me. The "lock-in" and molding around the trigger guard is pretty much perfect IMO. I did not opt for the penis camo, but I do think it's funny (if not a little obnoxious). Shipping speed for my order was good, I had the holder in about 10 days from my order date.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Whatís the difference between FOMI and Monoblock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

FOMIs are plastic, and tend to be... Not snug. DCC Monoblocks occupy the same footprint and are metal, snug as gently caress, and have hooks on the bottom edge.