Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Oh hey brand new thread.

Just turned in my Mississippi pistol permit application today. The lady at the Starkville highway patrol gave me grief for having printed it front and back, but it was all completed and notarized so here's hoping there aren't any issues. She told me the turn around is about 3 months, but I hope it's not that bad. Does anyone know how long I might wait for an MS license?

Why would anybody want a snubby revolver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

infrared35 posted:

Because they're loving awesome?

Serious answer: you can shoot anything from powderpuff wadcutters to full-house +P or magnum loads out of the same gun without worrying how it will affect the gun's function; they can be fired from within a pocket without affecting the gun's function; and you can make contact shots if you have to without affecting the gun's function.

On top of that, some people just shoot better with revolvers.

Are they really? I mean they have little baby grips that are made for child hands or someone missing 1/3 of their hand, heavy rear end double action trigger pulls, literally half the ammo capacity of any modern pistol, I can't fathom anyone considering firing the gun out of their pocket, and I don't know what a contact shot is so

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Bummey posted:

Have you never watched an old private eye movie? Snubby revolvers are radder than a whole box of rads.

Only when a dame with everything to lose walks into my smoke filled office.

I see the Sccy CPX 2 is beginning to get more and more positive reviews. Has anyone ever experienced a Sccy?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

thermobollocks posted:

They're modestly acceptable. The one I shot did not impress me in any way but it didn't kill me either.

Did it dissuade you from recommending one or buying one?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Dangerpants posted:

Can anyone recommend a gun vault for a car? I don't need something to withstand a prolonged, deliberate attempt. More along the lines of preventing a smash and grab resulting in losing a firearm when I can't carry at a certain venue. I've seen these from time to time but never heard any experiences: https://www.gunvault.com

Finger print scanner? How many times do those fail? I had one lovely dell computer with a lovely 'biometric' reader on just like gun vault uses quit working after a few months.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

thermobollocks posted:

The trigger is unremarkable, similar to the LC9 or Beretta Nano, not as good as a Kahr (or the options I'm about to list in a few words). It clearly beats a pointed stick, yeah, and I'd take it over a Taurus or a Kel-Tec.

But, I wound up getting a Shield. If you're looking at the Sccy I'd look harder and go for a PPS, Shield, G26, hell, even a J-frame or LCR. Price is really the only thing it's got going for it, and for about 100-150 more you open up a ton more options.

How do you like the Shield? It looks so, snubbed. If it were a dog it would be something with a short pallet like a frenchie or a pug. If I were to get a Galco or De Santis OWB holster, would that suit be a good CCW opiton or is the CTAC really the only real contender these days?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Whenever somebody says this I immediately discount their ability and experience as a shooter.

Glock bias has nothing to do with it does it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Bought a shield today it has the manual safety, but I don't mind since I can totally ignore it. Now to get a holster and belt.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

Hands down, worst trigger I've shot is a FEG Hi Power, in DA. It took everything I had to pull the trigger. It had to be 20+ lbs and it was gritty, making it nigh impossible to pull. The Nagant revolver I handled at a gun show some time later felt like butter in comparison.

I hate to beat a dead horse in a way, but... This resonated with me and I think I've settled on doing this. Going to dump some money into what I've got (Glock 17 and LCP) before running out and buying something else (j-frame). I had my G17 on yesterday when we went out to eat at the end of our road trip. People had to see it because it (at least it feels like) it really prints, but no one said anything about it. Dumping more range time into what I've got is a lot cheaper than buying something else, and probably a better idea anyway, so I'm doing that for now.

Sell the huge rear end glock 17 for money into either ammo for your LCP or for money down on your J Frame.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Close, empty all your pockets into a lockbox and go into a restroom with them waiting outside and you have to come out with warm urine. It was a new experience for me. Everywhere I have ever worked has never drug tested, mostly because they would half to fire half or more of the company if they did.

Just like a military drug test. You and about 6 other swinging dicks are pissing into a cup with a cock watcher literally gazing at your golden stream to make sure you don't put anything in the bottle.

In any case, I tried a Gen3 Glock 19 before I picked up my shield and drat if that trigger didn't feel like it had a huge button on it. Like even when I was applying pressure to fire I could distinctly feel the trigger safety switch and drat it was uncomfortable.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

They make a shield w/o manual safety. I plan on buying one in the spring/early summer.

The shop I bought my shield from told me the safetyless shields were on order for 6 months and weren't coming in any time soon. I opted to just pick up the one with the safety because it's just as easy to not use it!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Crunkjuice posted:

I had a fun experience carrying last night. I went to the Texas state fair with my girlfriend with my shield + mtac. CHL's are explicitly allowed, though since the basic security wands you, from what i read on various forums just ask to see a supervisor/cop and show the guy (NOT HAND) your CHL so he understands. Since the police stand was right behind the wanding guy, i just said "I'd like to speak with that officer" and showed him my CHL. He asked if i was carrying, I said yes, and he waved me through.

I hand my CHL/DL to the cop who gives me a very confused look. Officer looks at both pieces of ID without saying a word to me, and then finally asks "Are you carrying a gun past security?". "Yes ma'am, It specifically states on the website that CHL holders are allowed into the fair."

She stands up, places her hand on her gun and tells me to stay still while she calls for backup. I'm thinking what the poo poo, I have broken no laws why does this officer need backup? Within 60 seconds 2 officers come literally running up, asking what the emergency was. Before she could respond, another two came from the other side, all with hands on weapons.

Her response to them, I poo poo you not, "This kid is bringing a gun into the fair."

I said, before any of the police could react to that, " She is holding my drivers license and valid concealed handgun license, I am breaking no laws here". My hands were pretty clearly in the air as well.

I heard one cop mutter "god damnit lauren" under his breath as his much older partner walked to her and got my dl/chl. The cops kept their hands on their weapons, but they all relaxed instantly.

30 seconds later he told me I was good to go and I shouldn't have been bothered like i was. She was filling in for someone who called in sick and apparently had not worked the fair before and did not know that CHL's were allowed in the park. I then asked for the officer to make sure all the police working understood this policy, as it was their job to know something that important, and he assured me he would talk to her and radio everyone. I also expressed my displeasure at how vocal she was and how public it had become, and how the whole point of concealed was for no one to know and that she had violated my privacy by announcing that i had a gun to everyone within ear shot. He was pretty awesome, and we walked and chatted for a while and ended up getting my girlfriend and I each a corndog for our troubles.

I was pretty dumbfounded a cop would be so uneducated about the legality of CHL's on the grounds she was working, but I was glad the other police were much MUCH more educated, polite, and understanding. And hey, free corn dogs can make anything ok in my book.

Does your shield have the safety?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Won't they then be outlined against the bright target?

You're really dumb for arguing against night sights. Rail lights, maybe, night sights? No way.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

thermobollocks posted:

About the same time people started giving lovely advice.

I like how lovely advice is the same as 'advice I don't agree with.'

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Hahah how old is that article that refers to Chinese men as "orientals?'

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

snotball007 posted:

I stick to carrying a j frame in a Don Hume JIT slide holster. Only because I've gotten too fat now. I've switched to eating healthy in the last week and hope to be back to acceptable weight by my standards (275lbs).

Before that I was carrying a Sig p228 and Glock 22 at times (before I sold the G22). Both in Galco King Tuk because I just like the way they feel and haven't had an issue with them. However, I also had an OWB Galco leather holster that just felt right, sold it with the Glock 22 and sort of regretting it.

Going to go to my Glock 19 in a King Tuk holster when I lose this extra 20 or so lbs.

Post pics of your J frame. Is it a model 40?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

snotball007 posted:

It's a 637-2 that I bought a year and a half ago NIB (not current tax return, but the one before it). Has an Apex spring kit installed, and I highly recommend it. Not only does it make it lighter trigger pull, but the included firing pin and spring keep it from getting light primer strikes. It is also rocking Altamont Polymer grips thanks to a very special Secret Santa.

Click to see how it carries.

Yea that looks p great. Want a j frame now

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Just put a bodyguard on lay away. It has Such a good trigger when compared to a 642. Tell me I did well.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Yay. It comes with a weird laser sight that doesn't have a grip activated button. The on switch is on top of the laser, which makes using it awkward. I'll probably carry it OWB in some nice leather holster.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Craptacular posted:

If you're carrying OWB, why not a bigger gun?

Don't want a service size gun to lug around

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

For fucks sake. Why get anything when anything is roughly the same price/size. I already have a shield, but wanted a revolver because I've never had one, and the bodyguard has a great trigger for being a DA only revolver.

This thread needs a list of accepted guns, holsters, and sight combinations in the OP so goons don't get the wrong stuff and then have to explain why their purchase deviated from entrenched norms.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 23, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Well now I feel silly.

Ok, I own a shield in 9mm and just law awayd a bodyguard revolver.

And how do I use the laser? Do I leave it on while I carry it? Because gently caress trying to mash that little button on the draw.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Parts Kit posted:

Because for whatever reason he feels the Bodyguard meets his needs in a way the other doesn't ding dong.

Don't worry about using the laser, it's a neat idea but like you found out already hitting that button reliably and quickly is a pain in the rear end.

Probably just get a CT grip if I want a cool laser.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

I do dismay the floppy plastic cylinder release of the bodyguard. Why the gently caress would they do that opposed to what they've used for decades? Maybe I should cut my loss and just use my $43 down on some ammo for my shield?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

After some genuflecting I've decided to not get the bodyguard revolver, and to just use my $43 for some ammo or a new 8 round mag for my shield. Pinky extensions 4 lyfe.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

We're not talking about the lovely .380, but the revolver.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

OWLS! posted:

In my opinion, you're a terrible poster who chooses to engage in caliber wankery, glock fetishism, and are one of the reasons we don't get more new posters in these threads.

In reality, you overestimate people's willingness to carry and shoot guns they don't actively like. Case in point.

Regardless, I am well aware of the .32's shortcomings as a defensive round. The choice to carry it is a conscious one, and while there are are any number of better options, this one happens to fit me well. So far this is the one gun that I can stick in my pocket and know that I won't be fumbling with if ever, gods forbid, I end up in a situation I ever have to pull it out of said pocket.

Are you implying that TFR is an insular circle jerk of ~10 of the same elitist posters for the last 4 years, where any new comers have their heads bitten off because of differences in TFR group think?!?!

Mods?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 27, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

snotball007 posted:

Cited reference: Springfield XD pistols. Used to be cool, but now considered some abomination to carry.

I've personally been against group think for quite some time. But I'm also a terrible poster with very rare insight and positive feedback on my posts. The Hive Mind has good intentions, but you always need to take it with a grain of salt.

People change around here, come and go. I know I've even had breaks in my short time here. I'm waiting for the post-Gtab era to end and have more quality posters instead of people trying to desperately fill the shoes of someone who was a legend in his own right. Dude was legit once you got to know him a little.

I would call out about 3 posters who are guilty of this, but I'm a little better than that.

As for Kommienzuspadt, he does have good advice generally, but also biased. He will tell you, as he has told me in the past, that he believes what he carries is the best because he has done the research and trained. My only gripe with him is that he seems to have tunnel vision. We are all unique snowflakes Kommienzuspadt. It's okay though, I've learned to accept and love him like I do with most posters here in TFR.

When I started posting here it was rougher than what it is now. But it did help me learn what I needed to know. Don't take criticism as the Hive Mind attacking you, but try and learn from it.

Either way, TFR and (most) of its posters are legit. Enjoy your stay.

Does anyone remember king hotpants? That dude swore by his XD compact. Two tone. It was gorgeous, but that was about ~6 years ago. Those are no good anymore?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

I loved my full size XD 9. It was the gun I used to qual for my Florida CCW. if it wasn't for my move to Germany I'd still have that mug. The magazines slid into the gun effortlessly and felt good doing so. I do agree that the stupid grip safety was, well, stupid and unnecessary. It was another point of failure in a gun with two active safeties on it already.

For the longest time I wanted a dual tone XD compact, but they were such hot tamales I could never find one.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

OWLS! posted:

Let's take this a logical step further: nobody should carry, except for LEOs because they undergo the only right training with their firearms...

Sweet hyperbole.

OWLS! posted:

If you actually read instead of reacting, nobody in this thread who makes a conscious decision to be under-calibered if you will, claims that their (insert underpowered caliber of choice) says that it is anything but underpowered.

No offense to the caliber queens here, but telling people to not carry unless they carry caliber X is stupid.
Get some training, yes, try to upgrade to something punchier, yes, but what if you're a small person, or $any-other-number-of-hypotheticals which make it uncomfortable/unfeasible for you to carry anything but $any-number-of-underpowered-guns? So you just shouldn't carry? No, that argument is full blown goon-bandwagon-pants-on-head stupid.

Discouraging people from carrying guns they feel comfortable carrying is nearly as dumb, or actually dumber, as the logical extreme: supporting a blanket ban on carry by anybody who is not a LEO.

When you say discouraging people from carrying guns they feel comfortable with is dumb is some real hyperbole. I would tirelessly try to convince anyone I knew from carrying a weak round like that and get them to step up to at least a 38 special. .32 ACP doesn't even get the 12'' penetration and expansion ratio recommended by the FBI to effectively stop a grown adult. Also the tiniest of women around the nation carry 9mm all day every day because it's not punchy. There is even marketing specifically targeting women to carry 9mm or higher because that caliber works.. Paxton Quigley herself even says to start no lower than .380, so go get a gym membership and some vitamins lol.

quote:

Education about whichever gun you carry is paramount. If you (god forbid) carry a .22 or .32 ACP and fool yourself into thinking you're carrying an adequate self defense round, be aware of the issues with primer, be aware with the issues with ballistics, be aware that you're carrying a bloody .22, and not a Deagle. Be aware that .22 does not penetrate well, and doesn't bounce around people's skulls or follow bones or whatever the gently caress. But practice, learn, practice, learn, and then hope to hell and back that you never have to use it. And never stop posting not carry.

Fixed that for you. I was with you for the longest time because you were bucking the group think TFR circle jerk but now you're just being retarded. There is no reason for anyone to carry .32 ACP in the year 2014 when 9mm can fit in tiny guns. Seecamps are in 9mm, Diamondbacks are in 9mm, there's even an LCR made by Ruger that comes in 9mm, but you seem hellbent on carrying a weak round because of some deeply entrenched fear of 9mm. That and you seem to have some staggering cognitive dissonance going on.

Education about the gun you carry IS paramount, and anyone with 5 minutes of gun education would learn that .32 is a terrible, ineffective self defense round that hasn't been used in 100 years because superior cartridges exist now. Anyone who educated themselves would learn that issues with rimfire cartridges make then unreliable in a self-defense situation so they shouldn't be carried because they might not fire reliably when compared to centerfire cartridges, and .32 doesn't get good enough penetration to be considered for self defense. Take your own advice maybe?

Why are you such a pussy about guns anyway? Is 9mm really that terrifying to you?

quote:

Don't feel comfortable carrying anything less than 38spl? Good for you.
Don't feel comfortable fapping to anything that isn't hentai? Good for you.

What the gently caress? Please post pics of you clutching your lovely .32 and your lolicon body pillow.

I'll stay subscribed to see your next 'logical extreme step'!

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 27, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

OWLS! posted:

It was literally on the previous page.

Gun of choice does not equal gun of carry.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

OWLS! posted:

Sarcasm doesn't equal hyperbole either. And so you stop getting your panties in a bunch, yes, I carry a CZ-75B in 9mm luger as my primary, the colt is a secondary thing jammed in a pocket because it's better than a rock. There, happy?

I guess yea sure that's fine.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

I want to want a LEM HK but $pare mag$

They're what, $40?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

gently caress HK forever because if you're not a government organization, major metropolitan LEO force, or military they want nothing to do with your peasant self.

Oh yea and gently caress off expensive mags.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Didn't I give you a CTAC for a P2000? Hows that holding up for you?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

I was going to ask about the college ratty-chic sweatshirt, but then realized I am wearing this hipster shirt:

Whats going on with the legs on those jeans?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

GCODE sent me an email today reminding me that my holster I ordered 2 weeks ago hasn't even been started yet, but that my reward will be worth the wait.

gently caress you GCODE just make my holster.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

The Archangel rides just a little too high, so sometimes the grip "rolls" outwards from my body. it doesn't do a great job keeping flat unless I carry towards the 2 o'clock position, where I find the barrel then jabs into my thigh.

Tell me about blowing 10mm Glocks.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

I wont use AWIB, just the good ol' 5 o clock IWB.

Why don't they keep a stock of the most common holsters? the belt man does and I got my top quality bullhide belt yesterday!

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 1, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

gently caress Alien Gear Holsters. I ordered a Cloak Tuck 2.0 for my Shield, and it was cheaply made (the neoprene backing looked worn), the "kydex" (more like a plastic shield) was scratched to hell, and the trigger guard wasn't even covered when properly holstered.

I reached out to them, and was promptly ignored. Sold it on eBay after, and went with a AIWB holster instead.

It's almost like a product made by a company eagerly backed by reddit is lovely.

Also, how many neon fans does an Aliengear holster come with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Wanna get a Walther CCP real bad someone tell me about them.