Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

SinistralRifleman posted:

I forget where I read it years ago but a major holster maker was quoted as saying they sold more deep concealment holsters to states like New York and New Jersey than places where concealed carry was actually legal.
Even in states like NJ which effectively do not issue CCW permits, carry is still legal in your residence, your place of business or other property you own or possess. Therefore small business owners and others may carry on site. In such firearms unfriendly states, even when carrying legally on your own property, it's wise to keep everything well concealed. Things like brandishing are interpreted very strictly in such states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Whenever somebody says this I immediately discount their ability and experience as a shooter.
You can feel free to discount my ability and experience but I've been shooting for around 35 years at this point. And I think I have enough experience with various triggers to know what I prefer and what works best for me.

Like others, I don't think that Glocks have particularly great triggers. Glocks are certainly utilitarian and shootable. The triggers are consistent and reset well and as such do fine running fast. However, I find their triggers spongy with a creepy break and inferior to the pistol triggers they replaced. Even the 3rd gen Smith triggers whether SAO or DA/SA are crisp with a fast short reset. The Glocks replaced the Smiths but I don't believe that the quality of trigger was the primary reason why. I've also shot plenty of DA revolvers and even though I'm not a fan of revolvers, I find them easier to shoot accurately versus Glocks although split times might be better with the Glock. The DA revolver triggers are a matter of personal preference but for me the best DA revolver triggers are smooth linear non-stacking triggers without a hitch before the break. Glocks do very well at action pistol disciplines which are closer to what skillset you might need for self defense but are not exactly lighting the bullseye disciplines on fire.

In the end, Glocks do fine in self defense situations but part of CCW is practicing and if you find it less pleasant to shoot, why subject yourself to that instead of shooting what you prefer so long as it's reliable and appropriate for carry.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 13, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

One problem with the G19 one size fits all approach to defensive pistol recommendations is that people are physically different. While I think Glocks are great pistols for defense, the grip shape combined with my hand shape mean that they absolutely slap the poo poo out of my middle finger knuckle. I can tolerate it for a few mags but don't like to spend much time with them. Anyone else in my position would be poorly served by the Glock recommendation.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not at all trained on any CCW stuff but I thought it would be interesting to have a civilian simulation scenario where LE shows up out of nowhere with guns drawn and tells -you- to drop your weapon and get on the ground.
I've run through a simulator with no shoot scenarios and also a scenario where you turn a corner chasing an assailant and you end up facing a cop who orders you to put down your weapon and get on the ground. It was this one:
http://www.titraining.com/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

infrared35 posted:

The VP9 is surprisingly concealable when carried in a JM Custom AIWB holster. I never wear this particular sweatshirt while carrying because it's pretty tight-fitting, but with this rig it works just fine.
The JM Custom AIWB holsters are my absolute favorite holsters for concealment of full sized firearms. I find them comfortable when positioned correctly and they just make firearms disappear. I wish I could order them for every pistol I have. Also speaking of inappropriate carry guns, my OWB holsters for my 6" barrel Sig Arms P210 and 4" Korth Sport revolver are on their way from Austria.

My current favorite holsters are:

Appendix Carry:
JM Custom AIWB with no extra tuck and split kydex loops
5 Shot Leather SME

Conventional IWB:
Tucker Gun Leather Answer with leather lining inside Kydex

OWB for exotics:
Sickinger Lightning

BBQ Gun Holster:
Tucker Gun Leather HF1

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 30, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

JM Custom is a small shop producing high quality very well designed Kydex holsters. I think in particular their AIWB holsters are excellent.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB.html

At first glance it looks like any other Kydex AIWB or IWB holster but there are many small details that make it especially nice. You can choose from a number of options including type of loops, the ride height of the holster, and the size of the sweat guard - none medium or full. You can also choose thickness and color of the Kydex. Since it's a single man shop you can actually ask for all kinds of special options by talking to him so you're not just limited to a few options. The edges of the Kydex are rolled for comfort. Also the holster is shaped so it rides relative low with the grip rolled against your stomach so that it doesn't flag. If you ask for the "extra tuck" option, he will create a swell in the bottom part of the holster which will serve to tuck the grip toward your stomach and roll the grip further inward for better concealment. Extra tuck is generally unnecessary for smaller pistols i.e. 3.5" barrel or under but can help for larger pistols. I personally find it unnecessary. These small details improve the concealment and make it very comfortable to wear. The holsters retain well and make for a smooth draw and decent reholstering. Holsters and carry position are a very personal thing but I highly recommend the JM Custom for those who do choose AIWB.

The only reservation I may have is that the AIWB is not tuckable. JM Custom makes a tuckable version but only for smaller pistols. Lastly, JM Custom has a new AIWB variant called the "George" that is designed to be minimalist for lean people. I haven't tried the George yet but intend to order one.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/GEORGE.html

The George doesn't have the standard wedge of the normal AIWB so it will roll the grip less into your stomach i.e. the George be slightly less concealable but easier to grip.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 30, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Butch Cassidy posted:

Sooooo, 1.5" soft loops/full guard/standard thickness for a Shield sound good? Then I have the dilemma of choosing OD or pink
I prefer 1.5 split Kydex loops, standard ride, no guard, standard thickness.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Rigidity for the draw and potentially lower profile than loops. I hate pull the dot loops. I find it easier to just unbuckle and slide the holster off. Because it's AIWB and close to the buckle this is easier than having to undo your whole belt to slide off Kydex from a behind the hip position.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Kommienzuspadt posted:

What other appendix holsters have you tried? I am curious as I have some beefs with my Archangel and have idly considered upgrading for a while.
In addition to the JM Custom Appendix and 5 Shot SME, I have also tried a Bianchi 6D ATB, an Uncle Mikes, and a Raven Concealment Phantom (not ACR) in appendix carry. What are you issues with the Archangel?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The JM Custom can be selected as a standard ride height or high ride. Furthermore it has a "wedge" where the belt loops attach which pushes/rolls the grip around the curve of your stomach so that it doesn't flag. If you look at the photos on the site you'll see from the top views how the holster rolls the grip back into you. The extra tuck is a extension around the bottom of the holster to push the grip even deeper into you. The wedge is standard but extra tuck is not as it is not necessary for many pistols.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Juice posted:

OK.

That is the gold standard in leather IWB holsters. We don't talk about it a lot here because the 10 posters who produce 75% of our content don't own one and thus don't recommend it. Also, it costs more than whatever they recommend. However it doesn't cost more than buying whatever they recommend first, and then figuring out it's an average product and buying something else searching for a good holster.

It's the Milt Sparks VM-II. Holsters are all very personal and what works for one person won't work for another. So I can't promise it will work for you. From a quality standpoint, it's among the best (there are probably equivalent and better holsters - I just don't have experience with them...but they don't have "tac" in their name).
Speaking of Milt Sparks, I recently put in an order for their new Criterion IWB for 1911s. It uses a 25 degree cant and sit lower than the VM2 for better concealment. It also uses magnetically closed loops. It differs from the Nexus in that it has a reinforcement to keep the holster open. I also spoke to them about making a VM2 for my Korth and since they have an FFL I can ship any pistol to them to make a custom holster.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Juice posted:

Sparks is a really good outfit. I'd like them to offer an appendix carry to try out. The SME from 5 shot is probably over a year wait now.
Keep an eye on the 5 Shot facebook page and website. I got a new SME for my full size USP from an overrun they posted for sale with no waiting. I then got on the production list later and should also have another one for my USPc here shortly. The quality and attention to detail are excellent for the SME and it's very comfortable and conceals exceedingly well. My only reservation is that the JM Custom Kydex AIWB draws and reholsters faster than the 5 Shot SME. I will likely get both a 5 Shot SME and JM Custom AIWB for my 1911 at some point.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Bummey posted:

The ccp is a big fat single stack. All the ammo of a PPS without the concealability!

Isn't it supposed to be working in a weirdo gas system and not any standard pistol poo poo? We'll find out some day.
The gas system is very similar to that of the H&K P7 so it should work fine. I wonder if it will have similar heat issues.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Wonder how hard it would be to get a custom holster made. Like one of the Wilt Sparks ones or something. Who else will do custom IWB leather?
If you google CZ Rami holster you'll find a lot of results. It's not as common as a Glock holster but holsters are still available. If you call Milt Sparks, they can tell you if they have a model for it. If they don't they can still make it by having you send in your pistol. Milt Sparks has an FFL so they can accept pistols for custom jobs. You need to get on their waiting list first and let them know what you want. Once your place in line comes up they'll call you to let you know to ship your pistol so that they only have our pistol for the minimum time needed to make the holster.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The Sickinger holsters I ordered through sportshooter.de came in recently The holster model is the Lightning, an open top FBI cant OWB holster.

My carry pistol and NY reload

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 8, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an edge case scenario in which revolvers are superior that is relevant for some of us in non-CCW states. My state is "may issue" which translates to "never issue" to anyone except prosecutors and judges. However, we can still carry in a limited number of exceptions: at your residence, at your business, while hunting etc. For those who carry at their own business and at home, revolvers can be very useful. My state law is not clear whether a loaded magazine is a loaded gun (state police believe it is) so most people do not take the risk and transport magazines unloaded. Loading an empty revolver from loose rounds or a speedloader is way faster than loading a semiauto with an empty magazine.

For example, I am at home and want to inspect a construction site on which I am building a commercial development. I can place my revolver in one compartment of a range bag and speedloaders in another compartment then zip it up. I can drive to my site and pull onto the site then open the bag and load the revolver. I don't have to sit with an uplula loading 2 mags. It just makes way more sense for me to carry a revolver in this case than a semiauto.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 30, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I dropped a match trigger kit into my USPc 9mm. All the parts fit fine except for the trigger itself but you can just use the old trigger. The USPc has so little overtravel with the match kit with the stock trigger that you don't really need the match trigger with the overtravel screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

A while back I bought a Milt Sparks Criterion for a full size 1911 when I ordered a custom 1911. My custom 1911 isn't done yet but I purchased a RRA Limited Match 1911 and have tried out the Criterion with it. With respect to holsters, I've largely dropped conventional IWB for AIWB. It just conceals really well for me. For AIWB, I really like the JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster and the 5 Shot Leather SME holster and have multiple JMCK and 5 Shot holsters. I did not want to use AIWB for a 1911 so I decided on regular IWB. I don't like most IWB since I find that the grip flags on me especially when I turn my torso or bend forward. However, I find that the Criterion works great. It has a greater degree of cant and rides lower than the classic Milt Sparks VM II. It also uses magnetic loop closures and has a reinforced mouth. I was skeptical about it since many VM II style holsters don't work well for me but the Criterion was great. it conceals a full size 1911 very well with much less flagging of the grip. It is also very comfortable.