Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Buy a S&W 36/4/642/638 for your carry gat

Unless Moro Tribesmen are a concern, then bump it up a bit

about tree fiddy (seven)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Eagle makes wood grips for the lcr, but they always seemed weird on a mostly plastic frame. The stock grips are excellent, and I've heard good things about the Ruger boot grip

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Nah, it's just that if a glock of all things has the worst trigger you've felt you've been REALLY lucky with your gunhaving.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I find the stock glock trigger to be rather excellent. Maybe that's just me coming off of the NY1 adventure, but I quite like it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah my tests (including federal employment) were just go into the bathroom, pee into the cup, hand cup back. A better life.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Nobody's shooting anybody, not shooting someone with a j frame is the same as not shooting with a shield, except that you can not shoot people with these: http://www.dajimgungrips.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=165 while using a J frame. That makes the J frame better.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

LC9S is p nice for the price and I wouldn't feel awful carrying one.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The LC9S trigger is in the decent range. You'd still be better off saving up for a shield (or a PPS), or even an LCP for dirt cheap, but eh if you like em or are getting a nutty deal, go hog wild.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

slartibartfast posted:

This might be better suited in the newbie thread, but is there a "best practice" for carrying when your dress code requires a tucked in collared shirt, tie, and no jacket? Seems like IWB is the only option, but how do you keep from printing when you've got to tuck in your shirt? And then how do you draw from concealment without first fumbling around trying to untuck?

Welcome to realm of pocket carry, or occasionally ankle carry. Or not packing your gat at work so you can keep being employed.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Please open your bibles copy of Sixguns and turn to Chapter 9: Quickdraw and Hip Shooting.

Not to get in the way of the whole no sights vs sights sights vs night sights thing but oh man hipshooting is fun. I decided to do those old school draw-crouch-shoot stances you see in old instructional books and videos with 5 shots from my Model 10 and did this:

That was at 10yds iirc, and was pretty typical of further groups. I hate to suggest not using sights, but I gotta think with practice one could get pretty effective, as was done in decades past. Or not. None of us will likely blast peeps with our sighted or sightless gats, so poo poo have fun at the range and blast poo poo from hips.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

Speaking of plain irons, old carry wheelguns, and grips.

DeSantis Clip-Grip on a bobbed S&W model 36:

If I was easier on my carry guns, I'd still lug the J-frame and get a 3" stainless K-frame for a holstergat.

Yessss. Belt clips on all carry revolvers

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

wontondestruction posted:

P7 with a Milt Sparks IWB. CCW on Tues

Hahahah holy poo poo, this is how you loving concealed carry.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Jesus christ who cares. If even one poster in this thread caps someone with their CCW during their lifetime I'll be surprised. People aren't risking their lives walking out of the house without a gun just as owls isn't somehow magically at a greater risk of being a victim because he doesn't have a full nina at all times.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Last I was seeing in CT was $239-249 new, and bought two used ones at $200 each

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Weird. It was hoffmans guns out of CT, I havent checked since July or so. Maybe clearing out old models?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Usually I'm not all about that have a gun at all times even if it risks employment, but bullshit jobs like that (especially delivery driving when cash is involved) are the exception. As long as it's legal in your state go for it. Get fired? Oh well there goes nine dollars an hour. When I drove as a part time gig I'd pretty much always have a j frame on me. Nobody knew and I never had occasion to use it, but felt good to have it.

Now a normal non cash office job? Yeah gently caress that, they tell me not to carry I'm not carrying.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

My takeaway from the CCW "incident" posts here and on most other gunboards is that any time I ask a stranger something I better be ready to skin that smokewagon.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Flatland Crusoe posted:

What is the recommended safe for car storage and what is the recommended means of carrying while just in a car? What sized gun is recommended?

I ask because I started a new job and my new plant is in a bad area although the plant itself is very secure and so is my home parking garage. I intend to bring the gun in every night, but my worst fear is one of my firearms ending up stolen on the streets.

I'm trying to weight my options as training, application and a new gun is probably going to run me 1k since I live in Illinois and I'm trying to reason out the actual cost/benefit.

Locking center console or glovebox really. There's also the option of one of those cable secured safes wrapped around non moving seat fixtures or whatnot, but I'd honestly just go console/glovebox.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I've owned 2 1st Gen LCPs, I think I paid $200 or under for each of them, each with a couple mags and ammo. Of course now that I'm in CO, the land of stupid prices, I'd be paying closer to $300 for them. Once I get big into carrying again I'd like to snag a new LCP for when the Shield is too big, assuming the trigger and sights are good to go.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

3rd gen autos always rule though

Unless you're a lefty and have to loving slingshot the slide all the time with a slide mounted safety/decocker AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Dao now you're just being silly

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The Rat posted:

Glock 19 chopped to the length of a G26.

Jesus christ you're loving bonkers.

e: mean that in the nicest way possible

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I like your stipling too. I'm not going to chop my 34 cause im not a loving nutcase (again in the nicest way), but I really do wanna kill the finger grooves and a stipling job like that would be pretty tits to cover it up.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

rifles posted:

If you're gonna dremel it and stipple it to the point where it's going to pretty much kill the value, you're already only one step short of chopping the grip. If you don't have hugemongous hands and want to conceal the thing it's a pretty great idea.

It'd be cool if the companies that are making guns that have their serials on their fire control groups in a chassis instead of on the frame itself like the P250, P230, Beretta Nano (I guess) would release frames that do the same thing as chopping a Glock. Give a full size, a mid size, and a sub-compact 2 finger size frame for every gun and make mags for each. Imagine how well a Glock with the fire control group stuck in a little chassis would sell if you could get it as a kit with a 17 or 19 sized slide and a set of full size, compact, and sub-compact frames for whatever you want to do with it.

My hands are pretty big actually so chopping it would be a negative, plus I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a G19 later. Finger grooves are loving terrible though.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Neato. I was thinking about getting a set of those for my shield just because the price is fairly banging.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Doubleposting and I dont care.

I really like my Shield. I don't even care that it's the safety model, it is an absolute dream to shoot and super concealable. As posting above I plan to snag some CAP sights for it, and a decent holster (shame Raven doesn't do the VG2 for the shield, it'd be perfect for this). I don't hate the trigger, but it's one of those things that I wouldn't mind seeing improved. Is the APEX kit going to be a night and day difference? I'm a bit hesitant after hating the super recommended 3.5# and NY1 Glock upgrade, and this is much more money than that was.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I miss my PPS actually

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

lilspooky posted:

We can trade!

Honestly considering it. If you're in CO gently caress it let's do it.

I can dream

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I loving hate that Raven won't make a Vanguard 2 for the Shield. It was perfect for my needs when I was carrying a Glock 19, and with the Shield being even smaller, thinner, and lighter I have to imagine it would be even better for this. Goddammit.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Totally TWISTED posted:

I only ever tried to run 147 Gold Dots through mine since that kept my ammo the same with the P99 I first started with. Zero problems. Seconding doing the comparison to OAL and seeing if another brand works for you. And while Kommie wants to dog anything that isn't a Glock multiple thread iterations have always stressed finding out which (of the good varieties) of carry ammo work best for your gun and then using that exact variety only. Why all of a sudden one type not wanting to work well == get rid of the gun? Who knows.

Now if this problem persists across multiple brands that's when you say gently caress it and send it back to the factory.

It's hosed, fly out to CO and take my shield, leave the PPS or you'll be killed in the streets.

(hope you get it working, the PPS rules)

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I didn't dig the XDs I tried (though hey you might). I have an irrational love for the PPS, even though the shield is cheaper, has cheaper mags/more aftermarket support, and I even shoot better with it. I just want my pps back, also a Model 49 cause gently caress it

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Wendigee posted:

Kansas just passed a bill through the senate and its being sent to the house to allow anyone to conceal carry without a permit, testing, or anything other than not being a felon.

I'd at least like people to need to take a god damned test proving they can hit something at 25 feet. drat.

Yeah gently caress that. I'm not arfcom level hardcore, and I'm ok with background checks and whatnot, but I love the idea of not requiring a license to let people protect themselves.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

God knows Vermont is a hotbed of gun violence what with its longstanding no permit carry policy.

And hell I've been killed drat near every time I went to Alaska or Arizona by people doing constitutional carry.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I found the ALS to be a pretty poo poo holster in the week I owned it. I grabbed it for range use, and it's certainly not a concealment holster. The paddle is comfy, the belt loop is also good to go, but I strongly dislike the ALS system itself. I found it to be dependent on my pistol (a 1911) being pushed all the way down in the holster, pulled up at all would lock it up. In the best of cases the ALS was prone to being shortstroked and leaving the gun stuck until you pushed all the way down and tried again. On the plus side, it's cheap. Beyond that though I didn't even trust it as a purely range holster, much less anything I'd rely on for defense.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

There are...ways

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

M&P Shield/Walther PPS

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sucks 2 suck i guess. I'm not a huge comptac fan but I bet even without the info you'd probably have good luck with them replacing it, but drat that's pretty poo poo.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I really do love 3rd gen autos. I never really carry my shield and I keep thinking I should try to trade it for a 3913. Someday

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

LCP and J frame def should be on the list, especially if we're going by numbers, but man I'd love to Carry a P7 too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

What should I be focusing on for a thin j frame iwb today. I need it left handed and canted this time. On that note, are the talon ones good or just too bulky?