Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Craptacular posted:

I'd like to get some photos of different holster types as they're worn, to better illustrate them, but I'm not a great photographer by any means. If anyone wants to take some, go right ahead. I might try taking some tomorrow anyways.

Once my Archangel comes back to me, I can stick a G23 and G27 in it and compare it to an INCOG for the same. And can also get into some G42 and LCP pocket holsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I just walk the dog.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Please put this vital skill-honing drill in the O.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phKngZk7b5w

TIA

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I tote my spare mag in a Dale Fricke AIWB mag pouch. It regularly gets to me and winds up taken off in the evening, but OWB leather mag pouches did the same.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Leather pancake OWB holsters are super comfy with compact guns in the cold months. But I live in NH and, in your Southern hell, would stick with IWB. The CTAC is a solid holster, but not the only contender. IWB hybrid is nice enough to stick with but also cheap enough to use until you sort out your personal preferences as you can afford. So get a CTAC.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ground my G27 into the ground, today, while proning out with a rifle. It was very stiff coming out of my INCOG, the trigger was hilariously heavy to pull and gritty as gently caress, and I had to rip the mag out once empty. But it worked. Time to detail strip and give my trigger group and carry mags a good scrubbing.

Ran some target transitions at the range with my G42 while I was at it and continue to be completely enamored with the little bugger.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

...it's important to remove romantic considerations from the equation when picking a firearm for self defense...

Which is maybe nice on paper, I suppose. While in real life people carry things they like. While I like that Glocks are the fixed-sight K-frames of the auto-loader world, someone else may just not like them and opt for a J-frame, 1911, Beretta, whatever. And that is fine.

If the gun is reliable, in a caliber the shooter is happy with, and they are willing to shoot it and carry it, why no let romantic thoughts dictate the specific gun? Sure, J-frames are decidedly a regular shooter's gun but if someone takes the time to use one well, hosed if I care that they leave a Glock at home.

TL/DR: The Glock 42 is super easy to shoot, has real sights, is accurate as hell, and conceals wicked pissah. It should be the new Borg tiny gun

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

1. A new shooter is going to like shooting pretty much any gun - let's be honest.

2. it's your first and maybe only gun.

3. For this reason, I try to stress objective criteria when selecting a gun for carry so new shooters don't do something foolish.

1. That is not my experience with new shooters. When spreading DA/SA, DAO, SAO, 380, 38, 9x19, 40 S&W, polymer, metal, compact, full size, auto, Wheelgun in front of them to try, I has found they like what they like. And a person picking a 3rd gen. Smith auto over a G19 because less 2x4 is fine. I already listed reliability as a stipulation, after-all. And I have had plenty of new shooters say, "ew", to a Glock even if they did shoo it fine they surely wouldn't pack one.

2. I said nothing about new shooters and, in fact, said that J-frames are shooter's guns to be mastered.

3. You originally replied to Sixgun. Toting an auto when collecting and shooting wheelguns would actually be silly for him. Context really matters.

I'm not someone's personal aide and can't be there to steer them through life. I'd sooner suggest they get a carry gun that is a reliable example of their personal preference, however subjective, than argue they buy something different and risk being ignored entirely or see them not carry because they simply don't like it.

In real life, I throw G19 as a reflexive answer to the general question of "what defensive handgun should I buy?" And have talked people into taking professional classes. But people are finicky in real life and accommodating that does more good than coming off as an out-of-touch perfectionist. But this is largely moot as you and I know different groups of people and a 100% newbie is easier to nudge toward boring plastic pistol land. Where I get people with guns everywhere and personal opinions I have to try to buff.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yes, spend money on something you don't like and force yourself to accept it. Rather than buy any number of other perfectly serviceable handguns you would prefer and get on with life.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The LC9 is a fine/accurate/rugged/reliable if entirely unexiting and given a stupid safety.

The LC9S has a better trigger, same stupid safety, has no street record, and requires a mag be inserted and trigger pressed to field-strip. I would pass on it, but also take it over the other two.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I'm pretty sure neither of those guns has a "street record."

Bullshit. You know what I meant.

The LC9 has seen enough classes, high round count units, and was widely sold while receiving pretty well no negative press beyond

The LC9S is a different system in the same-ish frame and may well turn out to be a turd. Having to insert a mag before pulling the trigger to field-strip is certainly a nice nudge toward Goober NDing his dick off.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

If you have evidence for this assertion I would be curious to see you produce it.

Two posts above you. I have not heard of a rental unit making GBS threads out, and have heard of people taking all sorts of classes with assorted round counts with them just fine.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The INCOG is also a nice appendix holster. Mine has taken a beating and a few other goons like theirs.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Night sights are cool and very useful. But I would prioritize them after a good belt/holster/carry ammo/a pile of range ammo to help decide which freaking night sights you want/flashlight/more range ammo to practice shooting with the light.

A flashlight is more versatile and useful than night sights as Craptacular said and not many people tote a pistol with mounted light. I'd sooner make a case for packing a good handheld white light than night sights if prioritizing purchases. It has everyday utility, can disorient aggressors, makes any sights usable, can be used as a loaded fist to hit people if it comes down to it, and helps identify targets because we all go out in the dark. Then get night sights while still having a light available and practicing using them together now and then.

While night sights are super cool, they are a case of marginal gains of most utility to experienced shooters looking to up their efficiency. Yes, finding your front sight more quickly/easily is always good, but for the less experienced, spend the money on more ammo or put it towards training first.

And if someone in the end flat-out doesn't give a gently caress about running blacked out irons, that's no skin off my back. Sixgun is stating an opinion and that is okay even I myself disagree with most of what he has said. It's not like a new guy came in asking for sights advise and he told them to get plain irons or knock them off entirely.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

DeesGrandpa posted:

Not to get in the way of the whole no sights vs sights sights vs night sights thing but oh man hipshooting is fun. I decided to do those old school draw-crouch-shoot stances you see in old instructional books and videos with 5 shots from my Model 10 and did this:

That was at 10yds iirc, and was pretty typical of further groups. I hate to suggest not using sights, but I gotta think with practice one could get pretty effective, as was done in decades past. Or not. None of us will likely blast peeps with our sighted or sightless gats, so poo poo have fun at the range and blast poo poo from hips.

Of interest probably only to you:

A guy in my town used to tote a 38 special, later 357 magnum, and finally a 44 mag. in a shoulder holster while dealing speed after 'Nam. And he kept his Ka-Bar small-of-back. Finding out about the amphetamines really helps explain why he once shot a pay phone with a lead SWC handload out of his 44 on impulse.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Speaking of plain irons, old carry wheelguns, and grips.

DeSantis Clip-Grip on a bobbed S&W model 36:

If I was easier on my carry guns, I'd still lug the J-frame and get a 3" stainless K-frame for a holstergat.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Or cited sources.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

No citation

:razzbert: should be an emoticon.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Worth noting that Fairbairn's personal pistol had sights modified to include a large bead front explicitly for visibility/speed/increased utility.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I don't currently tote a full size pistol, but have packed a 4" model 10 and a Beretta 96.

The Beretta was always a pig OWB and not bad IWB. The biggest IWB issues were the thickness and length of the grip wanting to print, particularly 3:00 and back, and the weight after an active day. The barrel length was a complete non-issue. Oh, and the safety chewed holes in my shirts.

As for the model 10, it was a round-butt and worked very well in a snug pancake under whatever sweater or jacket during the colder months and the weight never bothered. Never tried IWB with it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Do you not see hyperlinks or something? Todd Louis Green.

Take a joke, man. And I'm the uptight creeper?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bummey, get a pancake like a Don Hume Double Nine and take it from there. It is a solid and not terribly expensive pancake that has worked satisfactorily for assorted guns for me and can survive duty use on plain clothes cops alright.

A pancake pulls the gun pretty snug to your hip and tucks the grip into your love handles better than a JIT. If it doesn't work out, you may learns some things to try later or at least not be out much cash. And out of curiosity, is this for the PPS or P238?

As for kydex OWB, I don't know, leather pancakes are my thing.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Just put a bodyguard on lay away. It has Such a good trigger when compared to a 642. Tell me I did well.

They shoot well, you did fine.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yeah, the laser is a joke, but the little things shoot about the most pleasantly of the P3AT-size guns.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Thread needs more Glock 42.

With Sig P238

Edit for more J-frame:

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 24, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Does the mag. look like Mec-Gar could do up a 17 round flush-fit or are we going to be stuck with 15 round mags in a G17 size grip?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yeeeeeeessssssssss

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

He's making fun if the YLLS Tshirt hivemind.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

P32? Tomcat? Seecamp?

Little 32s are neat and you should post yours

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My best and oldest friend carried a 44 caliber cap and ball revolver for a while. While commuting to work on a longboard. Wearing a backpack with a Mossy 500a equipped with topfolding stock.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Isn't he still loading the Colt with LSWC handloads worked up with a Lee whack-a-mole loader?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I liked my P32

The trigger was smooth and light, the recoil was mild like you said, and even as a clapped-out fiftybux favor to a coworker it ran fine. A friend bought it planning to send it back to get a new frame insert.

I really wish Ruger would release one, it would be fun.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Do you guys need reminding he packs a CZ 75B and uses the Colt as his can't-have-a-gun pocket rocket at which point only caliber separates it from an LCP in function*.

*Assuming maintenance.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

The guns are less of an issue than the idea that it doesn't matter what he carries or how good he is with it.

It's almost like he originally stated that he bought the Shield as a pocket gun, had slower follow-up shots with it and more trouble holding target and would Hereford continue using the Colt for now. And that his Shield would be a fine belt gun.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My PPS BB-clone makes me want paddle mag releases on everything. Keep the PPS, get paddled

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Do you have access to an LCP or even P3AT you could compare that with? I never did it myself before selling my P32 and it is notably slimmer and lighter than the 380s. Yet it is much less snappy.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Greengarden posted:

Apparently, the concealed carry thread is the 9mm-in-an-approved-gun-or-you're-an-idiot thread.

This is decidedly untrue.

40 S&W is tolerated as long as the first response to someone posting a new one is either "why 40?" Or "why not 9mm" and also providing no one ever support a new carrier in considering one.

45 ACP is okay as long as it is loaded in a custom 1911 or Glock 21. Providing someone calls the 21 a fatass pig.

380 ACP is ignored as long as It is in an LCP and the toter demeans the package.

38 S&W Special is a-okay in a J-frame in a +P loading. Just remember that K-frames will get you killed in a ghetto.

See, it is totally easy to fit in

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

infrared35 posted:

What about a USP .45?

I want to want a LEM HK but $pare mag$

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

And you very often come across as an arrogant and boorish rear end in a top hat rather than someone who would genuinely like to offer advice. Stamp your feet and feel indignant all you want, just don't believe for a second it is helpful to put someone down as the first response to a post you disagree with.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Am I a scrub for running this in my J-frame?

I ran it in my models 36 and 10.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You poo poo on OWLS! first thing while glossing over his actual post.

Sixgun merely said that sights are nice, but not 100% necessary to avoid having your head being mounted to a pike. Which even you know is true and chose to go full ad absurdum to a stupid argument about only ever point-shooing.

And no one is ever going to come here for advice if the regulars outright maintain policy of assuming everyone a stubborn idiot to be shouted out before wrongthink occur. Don't want other opinions clouding your word? Start a blog and moderate comments. We may all be dangerously inept idiots, but you are every bit the holier than thou prick lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

They're what, $40?

Yeahbut Glock mags are tenbux cheaper and that is booze money, man