Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kommienzuspadt posted:

If I carry a spare mag it's with a comp-tac OWB mag holder. I found IWB mag pouches are just too uncomfortable and if I am carrying IWB it's probably too hot for anything but a pistol anyway. I often carry an AIWB pistol with the OWB mag pouch under a light jacket - conceals better, 1000x more comfortable than more poo poo IWB.

The Comp-Tac OWB mag carriers conceal reasonably well even just under an untucked t-shirt.

If I carry my 1911 without a mag on the weak side, my pants fall down on the strong side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

snotball007 posted:

Glocks in general are a utilitarian gun. Trigger, sights, and pre-Gen 4 ergonomics are the baseline for what is considered acceptable by most for the basics. It's not bad, but it's not good.

You really can't compare a revolver to a striker fired pistol when it comes to triggers. Completely different mechanics at play.

My VP9's trigger is almost as good as the worst single-action trigger I've used. (An M1917 that looks like it was recovered after thirty years at the bottom of the ocean, and has never had a lubrication more in-depth than a good soaking with spray-lube while hanging from a string in a tree.)

My VP9's trigger is much better than a Glock.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Greengarden posted:

Sights are useful. Night sights are even more useful. However, I'm with Sixgun: it's hard for me to conjure a realistic scenario where I'm defending myself against someone more than 10' away--and I'm assuming a self-defense scenario would be a lot closer than 10'. If you're shooting someone more than 10' away, be prepared to have to defend yourself in a court of law. I'm not saying that you will automatically be convicted, but there will be more scrutiny.

I think a lot of people are missing the point that Sixgun is making: sights are important, but nowhere near as important as a quality holster and belt. What is your advice in this scenario: someone has very limited funds. They are trying to decide between the following things to spend $150 on: (1) good holster; (2) good belt; (3) quality self-defense ammo; (4) practice ammo; (5) night sights. Where would you recommend that person prioritize their funds? What if the $150 difference is between a Hi-Point and a surplus .40 Glock?

Night sights are a luxury that I would recommend to everyone. However, they are a luxury and should be prioritized accordingly.

Particularly since with a good belt and a good holster, you're more likely to carry the damned thing in the first place.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Did the ka bar have night sights?

Nope: Streamlight.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

infrared35 posted:

Appendix-carried a VP9 all day today.

Does your VP9 give you warm fuzzy feelings like mine does for me? I really, really like that gun.

I need to get a holster so I can carry the damned thing. Appendix carry is no good, cause I'm a lardass.

RELATED: Someone up-thread asked about full-frame carry; This is my every-day. RIA 1911A1-FS w/8rnd Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags.

I also carry a spare mag on the weak side, OWB. It helps balance my belt, and I feel better about the possibility of a mag failure if I have a spare. I've been pondering a light to carry weakside as well, but I'll probably end up with a weapon light on the VP9, instead, when I move to that as my EDC.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Homie S posted:

That looks like an MTAC.

It is. First-gen (read: Incompatible with the current-production shells, ) MTAC, with an easy-fit (fat guy) inch-and-three-quarters CSM Wilderness Instructors Belt. I use a Comp-Tac OWB mag holder as well. I used to wear a regular fitted CSM belt, but my weight has been all over the place recently, and the easy-ft versions have much more adjustment range.

Bonus note for other rotund gentlemen, the CSM version of the belt is great even if you don't carry. Its stiff enough to keep your pants from rolling down at the top and make you look even dumber than you already do when you sit for long periods and your flub extra love-mass tries to escape.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boner Wad posted:

I need to occasionally carry and take on and off my weapon as I go into no gun areas. I like my MTAC but it's a pain in the dick to put on or take off. I was thinking of getting the Infidel. I really like the looks of the large one clip. Any other recommendations?

If I need to disarm (doesn't happen too often in Florida, thankfully,) I generally just take the weapon out of the holster, but leave the holster on my belt.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OWLS! posted:

In my opinion, you're a terrible poster who chooses to engage in caliber wankery, glock fetishism, and are one of the reasons we don't get more new posters in these threads.

In reality, you overestimate people's willingness to carry and shoot guns they don't actively like. Case in point.

Regardless, I am well aware of the .32's shortcomings as a defensive round. The choice to carry it is a conscious one, and while there are are any number of better options, this one happens to fit me well. So far this is the one gun that I can stick in my pocket and know that I won't be fumbling with if ever, gods forbid, I end up in a situation I ever have to pull it out of said pocket.

Honestly, a terrible gun that you carry is still better than a great gun you leave at home. I encourage you to move away from .32ACP (at least it's not .25ACP ,) but I wouldn't give you poo poo for it.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Butch Cassidy posted:

This is decidedly untrue.

40 S&W is tolerated as long as the first response to someone posting a new one is either "why 40?" Or "why not 9mm" and also providing no one ever support a new carrier in considering one.

45 ACP is okay as long as it is loaded in a custom 1911 or Glock 21. Providing someone calls the 21 a fatass pig.

380 ACP is ignored as long as It is in an LCP and the toter demeans the package.

38 S&W Special is a-okay in a J-frame in a +P loading. Just remember that K-frames will get you killed in a ghetto.

See, it is totally easy to fit in

Don't forget 10mm. 10mm means you're a psychopath.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I don't own a milt sparks holster, but I have finger-hosed a few. They're super nice, I just have no practical experience with them.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Butch Cassidy posted:

I thought bad children got a lump of coal in their stocking, not hot lead in their gut

I'm pretty sure that armed robbery puts you on the adult side of the child/adult demarcation.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone have any experience with holsters for pistols with lights attached? Particularly IWB models.

Just wondering if carrying the correct pistol in one of these (say, an MTAC,) without the light attached is possible, or if it makes the weapon all jiggly-like.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kennebago posted:

Are 3" 1911s reliable? Honest question.

I've been told so often that they're not by people whose opinions I (mostly) respect that I took what they said at face value.

Also I, uh, meant to say that my experience is mostly with the usual handguns in 9mm & .40 S&W but apparently I just forgot to type that part.

Compact 1911s just tend to require even more work than a GI model to get and keep running. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a Dan Wesson or Les Baer or Ed Brown compact, but those guns aren't cheap.

For my dollar, I'd just buy a Glock 36, so I don't have to worry about the damned thing.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Craptacular posted:

Compare it to a fresh round from the box that's never been chambered. I can almost guarantee that the bullet's been compressed back into the case. If it's compressed too much it can cause the round to be overpressure, which can be quite dangerous.

Whenever I unload my carry mags for cleaning (about once a month, maybe a little less often,) I line up the cartridges on a level surface and put a straightedge across the bullets. Any that show light under the straightedge get discarded. It's generally only the two cartridges that were at the top of my loaded magazine (because I'm generally too lazy to rotate ammo within a magazine ,) but sometimes just one of them. I don't unload/reload very often, but conversely, it's a 1911, so it's rough on cartridges. I can see bullet setback after only two or three chambering cycles, sometimes.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SpelledBackwards posted:

To be more clear, stand the bullets up on their bases and put the straight edge across their tips. And make sure the edge is straight and not flexed or curved...

If your straightedge is curved, it's not a straightedge, is it?

I use a pocket machinists scale.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I know AR platform rifles can primer-strike when chambering. I've never heard of it causing an AD, but it probably ain't good for the primer. My rifle always leaves a little love spot on primers when you chamber it.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rifles posted:

Also, nobody looks for guns on people, and they certainly don't look for a pistol in the pocket of an IT guy. The only people that ever notice other people printing are gonna be cops looking for it or other people that carry that happen to see it (or are weird and are looking for people printing). Or someone that is staring at your pants. Relax.

People are loving oblivious. You can print a loving AK under your shirt and 98% of people won't notice. The few that do will probably just calmly tell you about it, because they're carrying as well.

Does that holster clip to the pocket from the inside? Does it hold the pistol securely? Unless you're ABSOLUTELY SURE (consequences include accidentally shooting yourself, or someone else) nothing can get inside the trigger guard, I wouldn't run without the thumb safety engaged unless its in a retention holster and/or has a trigger safety. Train to disengage the safety as you draw, instead.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone who calls themselves an armorer, and doesn't know how to field strip one of John Moses Browning's greatest gifts to mankind (praise be to him,) probably shouldn't go around calling themselves that.

Maybe "Glock Technician" would be more appropriate. Perhaps "Glock Parts Changer."

poo poo, detail stripping a 1911 is mostly self explanatory, and only limited by not generally having the required tools in a typical gun-cleaning box.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Where do you guys score your carry ammo online? Most resources seem to be oriented in bulk FMJ training ammo, but I need a couple boxes of good stuff for my VP9.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Still bitter that they changed the design, and stopped making new gun shells for the Gen I MTAC.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kommienzuspadt posted:

They are great. Buy a magazine with an OEM +2 baseplate - they increase the versatility of the pistol.

If those are the longer mags with the pinkie rest, like I think they are, they're nearly mandatory if you have big hands.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shortspecialbus posted:

I'll ask again about mag holders. I'll be carrying a G19 with an MTAC. I was at Gander Mountain for my CCW class and looked at their mag holders. They were all OWB and looked pretty sizeable and like they'd definitely print. What were some recommendations? Single mag is fine, it'll be carried on the left along with a flashlight and an occasional leatherman.

I carry a 1911 in an MTAC, with a CompTac OWB single mag holder on the weak side.

You get over printing concerns really quickly when you actually carry a lot. You can hide a Garand under your shirt and people still wouldn't notice.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As a large (fat) gentleman (rear end in a top hat,) I find that the inch and three quarter is a bit more comfortable, but lots of guys seem very happy with inch and a half.

I wear an inch and three quarter Wilderness Instructor with the CSM insert.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shortspecialbus posted:

Also, is it bad for the holster to leave the holster on with no gun if I need to put the firearm in the car to go in a store?

I do that when I go anywhere I can't carry, but in Florida, those places are few and far between. (Schools, airports, and .gov buildings, essentially. We have preemption, so no-weapons signs are legally toothless.)

Just make sure the weapon is secure in the car, and out of sight.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kydex is ok if you wear it over an undershirt, but it'd get uncomfortable pretty quick down here if you don't.

I can get away with no undershirt with the MTAC for short periods, if I like, because of the backing. I'm considering grabbing an AlienGear for my VP9 though. I've worn a friends AG P2000 holster with my VP9 in it, and other than the square peg/slightly different square gun issues, it was SUPER comfortable, even without an undershirt.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That Onyx looks like all the best parts of the AlienGear and an MTAC, with the exception of ride height. It looks like the firearm rides REALLY high in that thing, and it isn't adjustable. I wear my MTAC with one clip all the way up, and the other a single hole higher.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Servicio en Espanol posted:

I got my CCL in the mail today, tomorrow I'm going to a range to rent some gats and see what I like.

Currently on my list:

Glawck 17/19.
S&W M&P9.
FNS9.
Maybe an HK something or another for a giggle.
Their compact counterparts, etc.

Anything else I should consider?

H&K VP9

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

penis bandana posted:

...or enough for two or even three of Alien Gear's astonishingly decent holsters of the same style (just without real leather).

I'll twenty-seventh the recommendation for an MTAC, but this is a really good description of the new Alien Gear holsters. They're not the best, but they're WAAAAY better than they have any right to be at the price point they are.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've broken a comp-tac OWB mag holder, but it was because I caught the top of the magazine on something, and almost ripped it off my belt. And my belt off my body. And part of my rear end.

And THEN the carrier failed.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wilderness Instructors Belt.

I'm on my second one in ten years, and only because the Velcro hold-down for the tongue end of the belt wore out, and I can't sew well enough to get a new one to stay attached; The first belt itself is still in good shape. The CSM option makes it super stiff, and is what I recommend. Width is personal preference. Most jeans handle an inch and three quarters belt without a problem.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I've used instructor style belts for every day use and carry for 6 years now. All three were either uncle mikes or blackhawk and have worked just fine. They tend to get a little floppy so I'm really thinking hard on going for the polymer lined wilderness belt. Before that I used a galco cop series leather belt for the same purpose. It held up well for a few years but got floppy as well. I wouldn't buy a gun belt if it couldn't double as a pants holding up apparatus.

I own two belts, my inch and three quarters Instructor belt, and a frou-frou one inch leather belt that I only wear with my (only) suit. The WI goes everywhere else.

The regular WI belts are petty stiff, but the CSM option really keeps them like that, long term.

Also, they have a titanium buckle option, if you're allergic to the regular carbon steel buckle. I can't seem to find what alloy it is to tell you what the nickel content is. The regular buckle is coated with what they call Roguard, though, which I find to be a lot like a less textured rhinoliner, and I would imagine would protect you from the steel itself. (For awhile, anyway.)

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gfanikf posted:

So I finally saw the local OC'er who walks the kid on my parents street. Is there any type of OWB holster that would ever have a large flat pancake backing? Because to me it looks like he just took a IWB holster designed for CC and is just wearing it outside his pants....which just strikes me as insanely dumb and further evidence he's just doing it to be an attention whore.

Lots. Quite a few people carry OWB, but still concealed. Pancake holsters help reduce printing through sport coats, and other, thin over-garments, mostly by holding the weapon quite a bit closer to the body than a traditional OWB service holster would.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gfanikf posted:

So for carrying it on the side and with no clothes over it...he could have gotten a lot better?

Sure, but if he already had the paddle from carrying concealed, there's not a ton of reason to get a service-style holster, unless you're just attention whoring.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Craptacular posted:

Like I said, paddles are easy to remove, which isn't really a great thing for someone OCing. A holster firmly attached with belt loops is a lot better.

Sorry, I was confusing a paddle-type holster with a pancake-shaped belt-attached holster. Absolutely agree that anyone open carrying with a paddle holster is probably a bit defective.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Double post, cause I have the dumb.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Carry report:

I've gone from carrying a full size 1911 in an MTAC , with a spare mag on the weak side, to carrying my H&K VP9 in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 with metal clips, and no spare mag. It's a tad harder to get on and off than the MTAC, but it stays put better than the MTAC, with less belt tension, is more comfortable, and HOLY gently caress THIS THING IS LIGHT WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG.

Bottom-Line, Alien Gear isn't the best holster in the world, but holy gently caress it's good for the money. Way better than it has any right to be. Get one. Or two. I snagged an AG OWB 1911 holster for road trips and cold weather. It's nice, as well.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Concealed Carry Megathread: Mushy on insertion.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mosins have tiny, babby bayonets.if you want a RealMan's bayonet, you need to look to those gentlemen who always find the best, most creative ways to inflict suffering on their fellow man: The English.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Parts Kit posted:

Do our permits cover carrying this setup?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5_ogU4Jzt4

Flamethrowers are actually legal in the majority of the U.S., and we have no federal prohibition on them. If you could conceal it, in states with concealed WEAPONS licenses, as opposed to concealed handgun or pistol permits, I don't see how you could get convicted. I can't recall any state I've ever read statues explicitly banning Flamethrowers from carry.

Arrested, certainly, but probably not convicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kalifornia is one of the few that bans possession outright, do they also mention them in their carry laws?