Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Dangerpants posted:

Can anyone recommend a gun vault for a car? I don't need something to withstand a prolonged, deliberate attempt. More along the lines of preventing a smash and grab resulting in losing a firearm when I can't carry at a certain venue. I've seen these from time to time but never heard any experiences: https://www.gunvault.com

I have the NanoVault NV 100 from that company. It's big enough for my Glock 26 and LCP, but if you carry something along the lines of a Glock 19 or larger you would probably need the next step up in size. It comes with a coated steel cable to affix it to your car, and is small enough to fit in pretty tight spaces. In my car I store it in the spare wheel well, cabled to the frame of the car, underneath a layer of carpet, which is underneath a locked hatch in the floor of the cargo area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

Hands down, worst trigger I've shot is a FEG Hi Power, in DA. It took everything I had to pull the trigger. It had to be 20+ lbs and it was gritty, making it nigh impossible to pull. The Nagant revolver I handled at a gun show some time later felt like butter in comparison.

Ha-haaaa, hoooly poo poo. I had figured that was just the "subcompact" Hi-Power mutant baby P9RZ we got from my grandma, but it seems even the direct Hi-Power ripoffs are affected. Far and away the worst trigger of any firearm I've ever held, it's like dragging a boat anchor tied to your index finger with fishing line through quicksand.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

DeesGrandpa posted:

Nobody's shooting anybody, not shooting someone with a j frame is the same as not shooting with a shield, except that you can not shoot people with these: http://www.dajimgungrips.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=165 while using a J frame. That makes the J frame better.

Glocks must be the ultimate carry gun then since they can be fitted with any of these.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Yuns posted:

One problem with the G19 one size fits all approach to defensive pistol recommendations is that people are physically different. While I think Glocks are great pistols for defense, the grip shape combined with my hand shape mean that they absolutely slap the poo poo out of my middle finger knuckle. I can tolerate it for a few mags but don't like to spend much time with them. Anyone else in my position would be poorly served by the Glock recommendation.

I suppose caveat emptor for a shooter who buys a gun on a recommendation without shooting it first, but I am in agreement that the G19 is not a gun for all hands. The first gun I ever purchased was a Beretta 92FS because I knew as soon as I picked up a Glock 19 that it wasn't going to work on account of the finger grooves completely mismatching my finger spacing, while the 92FS fit my hand perfectly and was very comfortable to shoot, and the M&P I tried was completely unremarkable.

I did however try a Glock 17 about three months later and sold my Beretta to buy one, and in fact the Glock 19 without finger grooves is ridiculously comfortable - I'd buy a Gen 2 model for sure.

Point being shoot at least 5 times as many guns as you buy.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Is there any reason why nobody ever brings up the CZ RAMI pistol in here? Are they just turds or something? Cause a little bitty CZ 75 seems like a pretty cool thing to me.

I wanted one bad at one stage, they're really comfortable in the hand (though I guess this is typical of CZs), but ended up being disappointed when I rented one. I couldn't shoot for poo poo with its trigger (it reminded me of my 92FS and P220), and had several failures over the course of 100 rounds. I could chalk that bit up to it being a range rental gun, but I really wouldn't be keen to carry anything that starts having problems after a little neglect, especially for how much they cost in my area: $700 for the night sights / decocker model.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

kmcormick9 posted:

My body type and clothing style don't lend well to regular carry. I am athletic build with a gut and a long torso, so my shirts basically cover my belt and don't go much lower. When I had my G19 in an MTAC, I would show every time I bent over or reached up, and the shirt would usually settle back down behind the grip. I've given up on anything but pocket carry.

6 years ago the P3AT was the pocket carry gun of choice, but is there anything out now in a similar size but more accurate/not made of keltec-ium?

You bet, someone got the bright idea to start forging the same gun from Rugerite a few years back.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

This is a good shirt. I have many of these shirts.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I hate sizing on the internet. It's such a loving mystery. Do you get the tradesman or the trim fit?

Duluth's sizing is pretty generous, I order jeans in my usual size and have more than enough spare room for a pistol; undershirts and boxers are especially large for their size. I don't know if I've purchased anything that's given me the option of tradesman or trim fit, but if I have I'd have ordered tradesman because I like loose/baggy clothes.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

loud-bob posted:

I ended up getting a new LCP for $300 from my local shop and put a hogue grip on it. Shot 100 rounds through it and I love it. I'm shooting it well and it's really not that bad to shoot. Plus it's super easy to pocket carry. My Sig P238 came back from Sig with a new extractor and spring, and it's shooting fine, so I'm selling it.

The LCP is a pretty manageable shooter from the factory, but once you've put enough rounds through it to make sure it's reliable try a set of these recoil springs; side by side with a friend's bone stock LCP they seriously cut felt recoil by a third or more, best bang for your buck upgrade I've tried so far.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Basticle posted:

Man, Ruger is on a loving roll lately.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/12/18/ruger-lc9s-pro-model/

LC9s Pro. No thumb safety, no mag safety.

Same size as my P290RS but waaaay better trigger, day one purchase for me.

Fuuuuuuuck.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

CMS posted:

Does anyone have concealed carry location/holster/etc. suggestions for a medium size woman, with relatively little training, who may be attacked at close range? I'm very worried about her having her weapon taken from her or being unable to access it. She is likely to be walking the dog when attacked, but I'm worried that he'll run away or be ineffectual.

This is for my wife, and a specific criminal in the neighborhood is pushing the risk assessment from "carry may cause more problems than it solves" to the reverse. He's attacked without weapons so far. While I'm desperately hoping that he's caught before we return from a trip, I need to plan for a worse contingency. My wife is not a gun hobbyist but has shot and I am unlikely to convince her to have a lot of ongoing training. It'll be a revolver; I'm thinking a J-frame .38.

I've been a gun hobbyist doing target shooting so far, and have not had the need seriously to consider them as defensive tools.

drat, sucks that you even have to make this consideration. I won't opine on alternatives that I might consider, but if I had reason to believe there was an imminent danger for which I'd need my gun in a split second I would probably pocket carry and keep my hand on it. I wouldn't want to pocket carry a J-frame though I know plenty of people do, if you're dead set on a revolver has she shot or handled the LCR?

Pimp Drakula fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 21, 2014

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Label Facing Right posted:

So what are the thoughts on Critical Defense/Duty for CCW? The only reason I'm asking is because I happened to ask my brother-in-law what his department issued for duty ammo (he carries a G21 for duty) and that's what he showed me.

Should I reconsider sticking religiously to Ranger bonded 147gr when looking for more carry ammo (since its almost impossible to find)? Or is this more an apples to oranges issue because of .45 acp to 9mm?

147gr HSTs are sold out by the time I get the email notifying me they're in stock, so I diversify my carry loads (or at least did when I carried a 9x19mm). Gold Dot, Critical Duty, HST, plenty of good performers out there, and unless you find out your favorite load has some glaring flaw you've overlooked there's no harm in having choices. I'd get some Critical Duty (Critical Defense is okay but seems to prioritize velocity+expansion and low recoil over adequate penetration), test it out in your carry piece to make sure it's reliable, and keep that as a second or third option if you can't find your favorite.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Drav posted:

What gun/holster combo can I carry in sweatpants?

No seriously

LCP in a Remora pocket holster, I carry mine in both the pocket and waistband of gym shorts, doesn't fall out while I'm at work or at the gym and the holster stays put.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

MrYenko posted:

I know AR platform rifles can primer-strike when chambering. I've never heard of it causing an AD, but it probably ain't good for the primer. My rifle always leaves a little love spot on primers when you chamber it.

If AR charging primer strikes were a major issue our first sign would be forum posts reporting AD incidents with a dozen NERPS designed to mitigate it hot on their heels. The only thing I've ever seen for it is a titanium firing pin (which I guess there are other reasons to have) so presumably it's pretty rare, but bolt-locked-open-behind-loaded-mag is still as ready as I ever make my AR until I'm at a firing range. No sense driving a perfectly good new cartridge off the lot so to speak.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Wendigee posted:

Can anyone with a Walther PPS tell me why mine won't load 9mm hollowpoint 147g Rangers reliably at all? It will shoot any FMJ i can throw at it but it just won't eat the hollowpoints. The slide closes with the case sticking out multiple times per 6 round magazine.

I've run about 500 FMJ through it with 10 hollow points each 100 rounds. Still gets stuck sometimes....

Maybe I need to break it in more?

The flat tip of hollowpoints isn't particularly conducive to reliable feeding to begin with, but aren't 147gr Rangers long as all hell? Try some different hollowpoints and check the OAL of the Rangers compared to the stuff it usually feeds.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

the military has anal standards for ammo to the point they reject whole lots of M855 solely for incomplete/excessive paint on the green tip

Where do I acquire this rejected ammunition for outrageously low prices?

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Drav posted:

What's a good pocket holster for a Shield?

I love my Remora 2R for my LCP (the equivalent model that fits the Shield is the 5MPART), I've worn it both in the pocket and in the waistband, and it stays put even in gym shorts (though given the Shield's weight over the LCP that may not be feasible).

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Parts Kit posted:

On those "minimalist" holsters that just cover the trigger guard and usually have a paracord pull -- has anyone here tried or heard of someone trying to redo the paracord so that it has a belt loop you can run your belt through and then using that for a pocket holster?

The paracord is actually meant to be run through a belt loop so that when you yank the gun out of your pocket the cord tied to your belt loop pulls the holster off. I actually did the opposite and made a braided paracord pull (think about the shape of a MAC-10 foregrip strap) for an Aegis Armory Guardian for a Glock 26, I put that on the gun when I'm storing it, moving it around the house, et cetera.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

thermobollocks posted:

Hey night sight havers, did you install 'em with a punch or with a sight mover? Note: does not apply if the gun came with them or you paid a guy and don't know what he did

Used a brass drift punch, wimpy punch set hammer, and sandpaper for all of mine.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

380 Packers! Time for the annual question: What is your carry load? 90 grain Hornady Custom up here.

Federal Hydra-Shok 90gr, in the only caliber where Hydra-Shok is still a sensible bullet.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Sammyz posted:

Can anyone give me the newbie rundown on pocket carry? I like Rugers so right now I'm looking into the LCP, LCR and LC9. I suspect the 9 might actually be a little bit to pocket carry and I'm leaning towards the LCP just for reload speed and pocketability. Thoughts?

I pocket carry an LCP in a Remora holster all day everywhere in all clothes, and sometimes even in the waistband of my gym shorts when I go to the gym. It's ridiculously tiny, lightweight and unobtrusive, it will go anywhere without a second thought. You can buy heavy aftermarket recoil springs that noticeably reduce felt recoil, I can comfortably shoot several boxes of ammo over a range session. I am of the opinion everyone should own an LCP even if they carry other guns regularly, because you can carry it in outfits where a belt holster is simply not an option.

While I was looking at the LCP, I also considered the LC9, but just looking at it in the case at the gun store I could tell pocket carry would not be a realistic option - it simply was not sufficiently smaller and lighter than my Glock 26, which I've pocket carried (miserably) on several occasions.

The number one downside to the LCP compared to the LCR and LC9 is that your selection for quality defensive .380 ACP is extremely limited compared to .38 Special, .357 Magnum, or 9x19mm. Most jacketed hollowpoints on the market simply don't reach established penetration or expansion goals for defensive handgun bullets. Interestingly the Federal Hydra-Shok, now 10 or 20 years past its prime in pretty much every other caliber, consistently delivers adequate performance in .380 ballistics tests, and is widely available in contrast to the three or four modern loads offering the same performance that are generally only produced in small quantities by new manufacturers.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Sammyz posted:

This is super helpful. You are obviously high on the LCP but are there any other comparable models I should be considering or is that where it's at?

I purchased my LCP before the Glock 42 was released, and between the spec sheets and comparing them visually I don't think the Glock 42 is dramatically larger or heavier than the LCP - it would definitely fit nearly as comfortably in a pocket. Beretta now also makes the Pico, which comes out a little thinner and shorter on the barrel axis than both the LCP and the G42, and weighs in-between them at 11.5 ounces versus the LCP's 9.7 ounces and the G42's 13.8 ounces.

Then you have the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380, which has some extra knobs and switches you may or may not be interested in - chiefly a manual thumb safety and integral laser - it comes in at 11.9 ounces. The Taurus 738 TCP purportedly also makes a fine pocket gun and its trigger is supposedly nicer than the LCP's, but as with any Taurus you pays your money and takes your chances on quality control roulette. The Sig P238 is generally well-liked, sporadic quality control issues aside, and reportedly has an outstanding trigger for the classification of pistol it fits into, at the cost of being a larger, wider, heavier gun at 16.3 ounces.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Why did you change the recoil spring strength? I would be highly skeptical of altering factory spring weights in a carry pistol unless Ruger told you so.

The 13# springs make it a lot more comfortable to shoot, and as long as you shoot to verify reliability (which you're doing anyway to make sure your carry load cycles, right?) then it's good to go.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

right arm posted:

I don't poop in public bathrooms OP

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

IceLicker posted:

Finally got my pistol permit (I hate new york) and picked up this little guy:

Shoots like a dream and is super easy to conceal, especially since I'm a smaller dude.

The PPS isn't the one with the weird rear end backstrap disconnector is it? I really like the PPS but forget why I haven't looked at one seriously.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Oh wow no thank you

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Huge_Midget posted:

Best pocket holster for a Smith & Wesson Shield?

I've pocket carried my LCP in this holster for a year and a half or so now and it has been fantastic. I've never played with a Shield so I don't know if they might need a little more structure in a pocket holster to stay aligned correctly or have any other quirks, but my experience with the Remora has only been positive.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Parts Kit posted:

No, that's not his work. Looks like they sent you something from these people http://www.protechoutdoors.com/

drat, well at least you can't accuse them of false advertising, this is one of their promo photos:

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Glock 26 -> Ruger LCP

No real desire to go anywhere from here.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

You're pretty 80s my man, but can you do it like this guy?

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Friar Zucchini posted:

I'm in the early stages of starting to think about CC and I was watching iraqveteran8888's video on .380 carry guns, and the guy made an offhand comment about your gun getting scratched up by your keys. That got me thinking. I usually carry a lot of poo poo in my front pockets, and every once in a while I'll hear my car alarm go off cause my pen hit the panic button, or it'll honk the horn to say it's really locked cause my Swiss Army knife hit that button. So even with a DAO gun, how is it even a thing to keep a pocket gun in the same pocket with your keys without shooting yourself in the leg? If it was me carrying, I'd pick some low-priority stuff to leave at home, move my phone to my other pocket, and have the gun and my wallet together so the wallet keeps the gun from 'printing' or whatever, so I wouldn't have to worry about my keys deciding to try to assassinate me.

What the poo poo? If anyone suggests to you pocket carrying a gun with keys in the same pocket you should kick them in the pocket and let their keys set their gun off, shooting them in the leg.

1. that's a terrible idea, 2. always put your gun in a holster, there are plenty of good pocket holsters around, 3. that's a terrible idea.

I pocket carry an LCP in a Remora IWB, and the only time anything else is in the pocket is if I am wearing a particular pair of jeans in which case my flashlight is clipped to the very back edge of the pocket - I still have plenty of access to the gun and the flashlight can't tumble around in there and get in the trigger guard for several reasons.

Pimp Drakula fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 29, 2016

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

By the time I stopped carrying IWB I had found a straight 3-o'clock to be the most comfortable position, but as has been said that looks like a massively wide holster for that pistol so you may have a harder time getting it to round your hip if it's not back a little bit.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

Finally finishing all the paperwork etc for my permit. At the advice of the guy who taught the class I was required to take, I'm gonna a try and find a concealable holster for my p226 before I spend more money on a smaller gun and see if I can make that work. Any recommendations on IWB holsters for one?

That sounds like questionable advice, if it's your first time carrying you may learn to hate it real quick with a full size steel-framed duty pistol unless you're part of the small segment of the population that can rock that sort of thing without looking back, but as you say, a holster is a cheaper experiment than a tiny gun. It looks like the guys who made my holster from when I carried IWB are out of business, but I like Aegis Armory's all-Kydex products so their IWB hybrid might be worth a shot. I'm just trying to come up with some alternatives, but for the money it's probably a safer bet to get an MTAC or other widely recommended holster unless you check out a lot of reviews and hear good things about the Aegis.

L0cke17 posted:

Alternatively, it was also suggested to me to see about getting a custom 'pocket' holster to break up its outline and carry it in a cargo pocket. Is that a useful thing to pursue?

That's poo poo advice and all you have to look forward to from attempting that is that you're going to die from pocket carrying a P226 at the knee well in advance of when you get killed in the streets.

I think you might warm up to the idea of a smaller gun after a little while (and if you like Sigs and/or are used to the P226 I hear nothing but praise for the P320, try to play with a compact or subcompact model next time you're at the gun store), but the most important thing is that you find a solution you don't dread strapping on when you leave the house, so if that ends up being a full size Sig in an IWB or even some kind of fever dream pocket holster then more power to you - we all wish we had that kind of firepower on tap but not everyone is down for the encumbrance.

Pimp Drakula fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 24, 2016

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Should I buy a Sig P938? How can I tell if it's not factory broken? Should I just get a Colt New Agent instead?

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

PPs out boys

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

Steyr M9s seem neat. Can anyone confirm/deny?

can confirm they seem neat

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

I really need a PPK and PP in 32 ACP. 380 sucks rear end in the platform but I love the actual guns.

.32 PPs rule real hard

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

There is a bluegun of an LCP wih Crimson Trace. So I could trade a holster for one.

The LCP is stubby and short slides more easily let the grip roll outward from the belt while teeny guns like to try flipping out entirely. This is more prominent appendix than on or behind the hip as there is less belt tension to muscle it in place.

I can leave a tab of material extending beyond the muzzle that you can glue/velcro/whatever a pad to and it will be less than pretty but work.

The other option with an open muzzle end is a carry depth so far down that getting a proper grip before the draw is impossible. Many mousegun holsters being super discrete low ride is just ad jargon to put a positive spin on design necessity.

Anyway, could use a bulky wide belt clip for the most stability and convenience or a single snap loop for the most security and a lower profile. The LCP is lightweight and small enough that a tightened (loctite the screw when you are sure you've got it set satisfactorily) belt loop will be stable enough.

I hate this a lot about the LCP, belt holsters are nearly impossible and just let the gun roll over and point at my pelvis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Between a CZ 75 Compact and a USP Compact 9 what is the more egregiously foolhardy carry gun?