Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Bigass Moth posted:

Great OP, thank you for putting it together so thoroughly and quickly!

This .380 ammo was suggested as the top performer in the old thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwCXXpEP50 Has anyone here tried it? I've never even heard of this company (Precision One).

I've been in contact with them for about four months, and missed out on the first resupply of ammo in early September. SOON. Two or three more weeks until they get their new shipment from Hornady, they say.

I'd like to shoot this P238 eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

How's that JM Custom iwb working out for you? I had a hard time concealing my PPS with it. That little wing around back didn't conform with my body too well and, while it seemed to pull the holster in closely, I swear it pushed the grip of the pistol way the gently caress out.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

vigorous sodomy posted:

Why would anybody want a snubby revolver?

Have you never watched an old private eye movie? Snubby revolvers are radder than a whole box of rads.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Everything feels inferior after a Geissele *or whatever comparable tuned trigger you're going to come in and gotcha with*. Deal with it and stop being a complainin' babby when it's barely warranted.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 12, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Use night sights if you want to. Don't use night sights if you don't want to. End sentences in prepositions because it's cool to.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Hey owb people, what can you tell me about things to look for in an owb holster? Holster types, materials, ride height, thickness of holster body, thickness of belt loop wings, etc?

I've been lazily looking around for an OWB setup (jacket weather is like 9 months of Minnesota's year) and there are just so many different kinds of holsters out there, I'm overwhelmed by the choices and clueless about what makes pancake holster X better or worse than belt clip holster Y. Don Hume JIT slide, for example, pushes the gun way outwards and conceals worse than an uzi shoulder rig. Why do some pancake holsters have really thin wings and others have really thick wings? Having to wait 9 weeks for a holster to be made and shipped, only to find out it doesn't work very well for me and needs to be returned, is a huge bummer of a hassle. gently caress all holsters.

A crash course on these sorts of things would be good to have in the OP.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 23, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

This is a very lovely conversation and no one is listening to each other. Take it from me, I know lovely posting, I do it every day.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Bummey, get a pancake like a Don Hume Double Nine and take it from there. It is a solid and not terribly expensive pancake that has worked satisfactorily for assorted guns for me and can survive duty use on plain clothes cops alright.

A pancake pulls the gun pretty snug to your hip and tucks the grip into your love handles better than a JIT. If it doesn't work out, you may learns some things to try later or at least not be out much cash. And out of curiosity, is this for the PPS or P238?

As for kydex OWB, I don't know, leather pancakes are my thing.

It's for the PPS. I'm still considering swapping the PPS for a Shield. Less blocky and more comfortable grip, cheaper and more available aftermarket parts and magazines, points a bit better, etc.

I've got one that I like well enough, but the leather around the belt loops seems way too thick and rigid. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be, it just feels like it's so stiff that it prevents the holster from being pulled in as closely as it could. I bought a $40 Winthrop holster to try and it was a lot thinner and, again, "felt like" it pulled in closer because of that, but then I got anxious about the thin leather folding into the trigger guard.

How thick should the leather around the belt loops/wings be? How do all these different attributes change how the holsters wear and carry? These are the kinds of questions that would be helpful to answer in the OP.

I'll try a double nine, thanks, and kep on buying and returning until I find one that works, I guess.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 27, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

snotball007 posted:

Also, the grip shape is what is mainly keeping me from getting a PPS. Saw one in person and just doesn't look all that comfortable.

I don't think it's uncomfortable but it's not as comfortable as the Shield's rounded grip. I love the PPS and it shoots very well, don't get me wrong, I just really liked how the Shield felt. Now that there's a version with the manual safety I'm thinking more about changing. If I carried more often I wouldn't waste time quibbling over it.

vv the button mag release on the Shield is a huge plus. I don't dislike the paddle like some people here, I just like buttons way more since I don't have to shift my grip to use them.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 27, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Greengarden posted:

Edit: Can I add multiple pictures to a post without an image host?

is the extractor held on with a loving screw?

Bigass Moth posted:

Agent Scully carried a .32 sometimes, and I definitely remember Mulder having a Phoenix or something as his backup piece.

Scully carried a PPK which is 100% baller and acceptable.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

Sooooo, 1.5" soft loops/full guard/standard thickness for a Shield sound good? Then I have the dilemma of choosing OD or pink

Be careful, his one-way, pull the dot snaps are some real mother fuckers. They are extremely hard to use until broken in, and that took several days of idly snapping them on and off while doing other poo poo. Even then, gently caress those snaps.

e: also I had a regular IWB holster, with one arm behind my back trying to snap them in. AIWB snaps would be easier to use since it's right there in front of you.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 30, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The ccp is a big fat single stack. All the ammo of a PPS without the concealability!

Isn't it supposed to be working in a weirdo gas system and not any standard pistol poo poo? We'll find out some day.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I hate sizing on the internet. It's such a loving mystery. Do you get the tradesman or the trim fit?

Check their return policy and order a few of each type if it's generous. My credit card statement for the past year is a constant stream of ~$600 debits and credits from Zappos. Alternatively, always order from Zappos. Zappos is best. Free two day shipping both ways with no questions asked returns up to a year after purchase (assuming still in 'unworn' condition).

Bummey
May 26, 2004

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I can take it off if I want, but why would I not want extra ammo?

Plenty of reasons. Cost, comfort, bulk on belt/in pants, different thoughts on what's realistically needed, etc.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Fang posted:

Night sights aren't a necessity, so this is a pretty tenuous objection.

Not this again...

Bummey
May 26, 2004

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Sounds really really paranoid.

infrared35 posted:

Until you're gunned down in your own driveway in a case of mistaken identity.

and then there's this lovely article on Guns.com. 20 rules for winning gun fights!

quote:

1. Be prepared to use deadly force.

This emotional, mental and psychological decision must be made long before the incident arrives. You may have to shoot a man, a woman, pregnant lady or a teenager. Think about it before the time arrives. Be prepared to stop a co-worker, a neighbor, a teammate, friend or even a relative. You may have to physically hurt or kill someone that you know or someone you’ve talked with or like or someone you think you know well.

Okay, fair, it's a very difficult thing to consider. Are you willing and able to really, truly, hurt another person as badly as might be required to save yourself? Are you prepared to kill, if necessary? It's a deeply disturbing proposition. What's next?

quote:

2. Have plan to kill everyone you meet.

This old military adage still holds true: if you have prepared for every possibility, you’ll be able to act or react quicker. In gun fights, speed saves.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

That's genuinely sad. It must be exhausting to live like that. I wonder what's happening beneath the surface.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Crunkjuice posted:

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for any sane civilian to carry 4 different firearms on him, one of which is an ar-15 pistol with 5 loving spare magazines for every day carry. Dude has serious problems.

20 bucks says he's wearing body armor with all of that as well.

I can understand liking guns and wanting them to have a larger role in your life but that's taking it too far. That sort of behavior does not feel like something a healthy person does.

That's the thing about mental disorders, they can hide themselves extremely well to outside observers. Even under scrutiny by a trained professional it's not unheard of for people to keep all but the most severe conditions veiled enough so as to reduce, confuse, or even completely escape a diagnosis.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Gunfighter was used wayyy too much in this article.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

What do you mean by running shoes?

It's meant to imply that avoiding a potentially deadly situation (or running away from one) is the preferred conflict management skill and that you should be prepared to do so. Both when you do and don't have a gun on you.

Rule #1
Cardio

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Pimp Drakula posted:

147gr HSTs are sold out by the time I get the email notifying me they're in stock, so I diversify my carry loads (or at least did when I carried a 9x19mm). Gold Dot, Critical Duty, HST, plenty of good performers out there, and unless you find out your favorite load has some glaring flaw you've overlooked there's no harm in having choices. I'd get some Critical Duty (Critical Defense is okay but seems to prioritize velocity+expansion and low recoil over adequate penetration), test it out in your carry piece to make sure it's reliable, and keep that as a second or third option if you can't find your favorite.

Streichers (almost) always has HST in stock. https://www.policehq.com/Ammunition/FEDERAL-AMMO

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Android Bicyclist posted:

Was the pistol in a holster or did the kid pick up the gun amidst all the other crap in her purse?
I'm going to assume even with purse carry it's recommended to have your gun in a holster to prevent this sort of thing. Or, you know, not let your kid get into your purse in the first place.

Kids get into poo poo, especially things they aren't supposed to. Purses are like treasure chests to kids.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Drav posted:

There is no scenario where a 9# trigger is preferable to a 6# trigger.

Here's one: When it's in the hands of a minimally trained cop.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

As an IT nerd a fanny pack holster or other purpose-built belt mounted holster pouch could easily pass as nerd tool storage.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

About people being oblivious, think about it this way: Before you started carrying, did you ever notice other people carrying? Did you even think about it as a Thing People Did? I mean, I knew there were people that did but only in an abstract sense, like how molecules slow down as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

Now that you carry are you a little more aware of the possibility that someone else is carrying? Do you look? I do, occasionally, but it rarely occupies my mind even now. The smallest outline seen in the mirror will seem like a flashing light and blaring klaxxon, but no one will loving notice unless the gun visibly enters line of sight. And even then, probably not.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 21, 2015

Bummey
May 26, 2004

indoflaven posted:

As a male, are you constantly checking out dudes?

Do you not?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

poxin posted:

Unfortunately don't have a way to test an XS setup around here. Have a feeling the giant front sight covering the target wouldn't be to my liking.

XS big dots aren't target sights. The big dot and wide, shallow V are for a quick and very dirty sight picture at self defense handgun ranges.

I like them on my PPS but I'm wrong about mostly everything.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

147 rangers work fine in mine. :| I guess it's just a case of your gun not liking them. Or mine liking them more than yours.

Federal HST is the way to go, anyways.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

e: I didn't watch those videos.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 2, 2015

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

How much thought do people give bullet setback from repeated chambering of rounds? In case you clear your carry weapon when you get home, for whatever reason.

The hive mind says "potentially dangerous overpressure from set back bullets" but I think I remember seeing an article and video series a while back where a dude hammered bullets from bunch of different types of rounds deep into their cases and shot them with no discernible difference in feel, damage to the gun, split cases, etc. I can't find a link and I have no proof that this isn't something I dreamed up during a bout of flu-induced delirium. vv

I stick with the hive mind because I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a call like that and I like almost all of my fingers. I haven't noticed any set back on my HST after repeated chamberings but I still toss the round after a few times.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 3, 2015

Bummey
May 26, 2004

http://www.policehq.com/Products/FC-9HST has Federal HST in standard pressure 124.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Where do you guys score your carry ammo online? Most resources seem to be oriented in bulk FMJ training ammo, but I need a couple boxes of good stuff for my VP9.

https://www.policehq.com for Federal HST.

Except now I can drive to their store and skip the shipping.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

thermobollocks posted:

Shoot them at watermelons Sell them to some yokel and wait for Gold Dots to get back in stock buy Federal HST right now

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I'd take a light first, were it me. Night sights won't help identify the target, but a light will and it will illuminate the target providing contrast to see a basic sight picture.

e: eek, new page. I'm bad at this. I've done this a couple times lately.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

snotball007 posted:

Seems to have some decent reviews on Amazon. Most people here recommend Beltman for a nice leather belt. I'd try to find a sizing chart, beltman has one but I'm not sure if it would be comparable to the belt you have listed. I'd personally go with the Galco Instructor's Belt if I was limited to ordering from Amazon, but that's only because I have experience with said belt. Your time constraints also limit you severely.

Ares Ranger best belt, even if the new ones use a material that isn't as stiff as the old ones. e: holy poo poo the price went up by like $40 too. gently caress that.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 16, 2015

Bummey
May 26, 2004

My old model Ares Ranger is like wearing a loving steel barrel tie. It's kind of ridiculous. I like it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm still waffling on IWB vs OWB.

http://smile.amazon.com/Comp-Tac-Minotaur-Concealment-Pouch/dp/B00FSSACIY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

vs

http://smile.amazon.com/Single-Mag-Pouch-1-50-Glock/dp/B009ZG8PU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427212248&sr=8-1&keywords=comp+tac+magazine+pouch

I'm probably worrying about nothing with the OWB printing more, and if the IWB one had better reviews, I'd get it for sure. But it kinda seems like a crapshoot.

Try them both and return the one you don't like.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

That's just crazy talk.

(okay, good idea)

Holster companies are usually pretty great about returns. I can't count the number of holsters I've bought, tried out, and returned.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Got the mag carriers. Comptac included a pack of Smarties in each, bonus! At the moment, I like them both, although I need to adjust the tension on the OWB one as it's a bit loose.

It's good to hear Comp-Tac is including Smarties with each order again. There was a while where they didn't... those were dark days.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

Sold my Vz 58 to fund half of it.

Whoa there D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Crunkjuice posted:

I'm not going to lie, this is literally everything i've been looking for in a shield holster. Hybrid for comfort, one clip for ease of on and off, adjustable cant, on sale. The only question is red or black...

Actually, I just realized the whole thing is put together with chicago screws. Maybe not.

I'll give it a shot. $40 and a one month return window? Why not?

Dunno what the gently caress a chicago screw is though