Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

infrared35 posted:

Some of my carry rigs, past and present:

.38/44 Heavy Duty in a Triple K crossdraw:

Did you really?

So what are people using for spare mag carriers? I bought a Blackhawk! one (against patience and better judgement) and it sticks out like a sore thumb. It'll be fine for the car, but for carrying I'd like something that can actually conceal the mag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Thanks for the suggestions. The Blackhawk! one is pretty terrible. Uncomfortable and doesn't conceal at all. Good for open carrying, I guess.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Snubbies rule. Going to buy one in the spring. I'll have an LCP, snub, and a Glock 17 for CCW, then I can narrow from there.

Spent the week driving and carrying my G17 OWB in a Don Hume holster. I don't like how much it prints under shirts that are anything other than super loose. No one's said anything, though, so whatever. It's also way more comfortable than my MTAC. I'm actually a little amazed at it. I'm a big guy, crammed into a Sentra, and the gun isn't digging into me at all (even afer 5-7 hours).

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Hows the Combat Commander? I handled one (I think that's what it was, Colt's shorty 1911 on a short frame?). Seemed like a nice compact gun to carry, and could be very thin with a set of thin grips on it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Hands down, worst trigger I've shot is a FEG Hi Power, in DA. It took everything I had to pull the trigger. It had to be 20+ lbs and it was gritty, making it nigh impossible to pull. The Nagant revolver I handled at a gun show some time later felt like butter in comparison.

NosmoKing posted:

Personally, I put a Ruger LCP .380 in my pocket holster with some gold dots and call it good enough.

I hate to beat a dead horse in a way, but... This resonated with me and I think I've settled on doing this. Going to dump some money into what I've got (Glock 17 and LCP) before running out and buying something else (j-frame). I had my G17 on yesterday when we went out to eat at the end of our road trip. People had to see it because it (at least it feels like) it really prints, but no one said anything about it. Dumping more range time into what I've got is a lot cheaper than buying something else, and probably a better idea anyway, so I'm doing that for now.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Oddly enough, to be a teacher in my current county, I didn't have to pass a drug test*. Had to pass one to work retail, though. Went in, peed in a toilet, and was told not to flush.

*Administrators have authority to take you to be drug tested if you show up acting funny.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

...how the gently caress does that work?

And these doctors aren't using enough imagination if they're just taking poo poo from your pockets. Just hide your fake piss on your leg with a tube going to your pecker. Haven't you nerds ever seen Gattaca? of course not, nobody has seen Gattaca

No idea, and scrubbing myself clean in my furnace is the only way to be clean.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

My Beltman is going on 2 years old now, maybe more. It's broken in good, but it's still nice and stiff (see: carrying a G17) and looks pretty good, save for some minor surface scratches that I'm too lazy to fix. I didn't opt for the kydex stiffener, either, but I think I'll get one in black, with the stiffener, and with snaps to play with.

Basically no regrets on buying a Beltman belt, easily one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Got some Pearce grip extensions for my LCP and some snap caps. Going to play with them tonight to see how they work.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

...and you got responses that boiled down to, "Those guns aren't that great, but these other ones are."

Pretty much all the responses have been helpful. Sorry that they weren't "Dude any of those are great! Go wild and get them all!" or whatever you were expecting.

Out of any of those three, I mean, I guess the LC9S is the best. Out of those three is the key. There's better suited options out there. Frankly, for the size, the LC9S is too big for what you're asserting you want to do - a last ditch backup gun. If you go with something the size of the LC9, you might as well go with any of the other compact 9mms, like a Glock 26 or a S&W Shield. The LC9 and LC9S are too big to pocket carry, which means you'll be putting them on your waist. At that point, there's a lot better options out there (Glock 26 etc). The Bodyguard is alright, but if you're aiming for that size, you might also consider LCP; depending, of course, on whether or not you prefer a manual safety.

The SCCY isn't even a contender. Again, at that size, you'd be better off with the Glock 26 again. At the least, pick something with a decent aftermarket and easily and readily available holsters.

The correct option, of course, is this S&W Bodyguard:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Final Blog Entry posted:

My googling efforts seem to indicate that I can legally concealed carry in Ocala National Forest (with valid CCW licence, of course). I'm finding articles, forum posts, etc to the contrary, but they seem to predate a change to the applicable law. Can anyone confirm this? I won't be hunting or fishing, just camping, hiking, and driving my Jeep around on some trails.

According to Handgunlaw.us, you can.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I carry a Glock 17. No pictures; maybe I'll take some later.

What do you want to know?

IWB: I carry in a Comp-Tac MTAC. It's a little uncomfortable, but it does conceal well enough under a shirt.
OWB: Some Don Hume holster. Way more comfortable. Feels like it doesn't conceal as well.

Both instances feel like it prints way the gently caress out there, but most people must not care as no one's ever said anything about it. Works great for the winter when I can wear a jacket or something. In the summer or for a quick trip out to the store or something, I carry an LCP.

I have my concerns about .380, but at least 7 shots of it should incapacitate someone enough that I can continue with a beating, too.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Traded the mag carrier and six bucks for a box of Hornady Critical Defense .380. I've got better ammo bookmarked on my laptop, but how's that stack up? Has to be better than the FMJ I have been carrying.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

What extension is that on the mag? Does it add any rounds? I tried some of the Pearce ones, but they were too awkwardly sized; In fact, I went from those, back to the factory flat ones as I think I can grip the gun best with them out of the three (flat, factory extended, pearce extended)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Parts Kit posted:

He doesn't pay me enough to get mauled, shot, or molested.

I'm sure you're already thinking this, or may even be working towards doing this, but I'd be looking for another job, too.

poo poo, I work retail auto parts as my side gig, and it's pretty easy poo poo. You could be a delivery driver, too, since you'd likely be MVR certified. All you'd be doing there is running parts to places like Firestone. It's all computerized, too. No need to really know anything about cars since it's all on the computer (obviously having some modicum of knowledge helps).

In other news, I'm going to get a revolver for CCW this Spring. I find myself going for my LCP way more often than my Glock 17. I'd like to get a SP101 or a S&W 60, like I've had in the past, for CCW as well, just so I have something with a little more oomph than .380.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 30, 2014

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Kommienzuspadt posted:

This doesn't necessarily compute. Why a revolver? The SP110/Model 60 are definitely concealable guns, but IMO a single stack 9mm (shield, PPS, etc) are better picks. they hold more ammo and are easier to work, not to mention have waaaay superior options for sights. or, as I mentioned in the other thread, a compact or subcompact double stack (g19/g26, M&P9c, P228, etc)

I reload 38spl is the main factor behind those guns in particular. The Glock is definitely too thick, so swapping to a 26 or a 19 won't really help in that regard. Something slimmer could potentially work, but I frankly see myself going with a revolver as that's what I am most comfortable and confident with.

At the same time I'm poor, so I won't necessarily be running out to go grab anything. It's something I'll just keep thinking on for a while and seeing what I prefer as far as shooting and handling and all that jazz.

E: Saying that I was going to get a revolver this Spring was a poor choice of words on my part, sorry.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Well, I appreciate the suggestion because I didn't know that about the LCR. Now that I do, that's another option to look for once I go shopping.

I need to grab the CT laser for my LCP, too. Frankly, I really dig this little gun and like carrying it a bunch.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Crunkjuice posted:

Hypothetical alcohol discussion time! I am not advocating drinking and carrying, nor saying I am planning on being intoxicated and carrying, nor am I planning on breaking any law whatsoever. I am however curious about the ramifications/legalities of certain things.

I'm out and about carrying and a buddy calls me up for a few drinks after work. I have a nano vault200 in my car, attached under my passenger front seat. I lock it up and have a few. It normally is used for wallet/phone safety at times, but for this situation its being used for a firearm. For the sake of this situation, lets say i'm intoxicated at this point. DUI and all dangerous situations regarding driving while intoxicated notwithstanding, would having that firearm locked in the car with me count as being in my possession, or would that not affect anything at all?

What if i'm the passenger in my own vehicle, intoxicated with a designated driver? Would the locked firearm count as being in my possession in regards to carrying?

I'm reaaaally not trying to sound like i'm going to drink and carry a firearm, but I was curious about it. People can get drunk in their own home and have firearms locked up, is it similar to being out and about when you can legally possess a firearm?

1. If you know you have a gun, then you have a responsibility to not get intoxicated. Make a pit stop at home or something to drop the gun off, it's really not that hard.
2. If you're driving while intoxicated, gently caress you. Get a goddamned taxi.
3. If the gun is unloaded, locked up, and essentially out of your immediate possession, and you're not the one driving... that's I guess the best of the worst.

Ultimately,

thermobollocks posted:

Depends on how much Joe the beat cop wants to gently caress you up.

It may not be enough to land you in prison, but it'll make your life a legal hell for a while. Just don't drink while you have a gun near you, it's really not that hard - and I love me some drinking. And don't ever, ever drive drunk.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Hey guys, I can't believe here's a discussion about carrying while drunk,

Me either. Carrying in a bar when you're DDing or otherwise not drinking, that's a different discussion, but the fact that there's any sort of "How much can I drink while possessing a firearm" type discussion is loving astounding. I get that you might be carrying and get invited out for beers with friends - spur of the moment plans totally happen. Either drop the gun off at home or go out and don't drink. It's really not that hard a decision to make.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

In other news, I just picked up a blued S&W model 36 for CCW. Shot my LCP alongside my nickel 36 and an airweight 442. Loved the airweight and my 36, but I'm just tired of the LCP.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Parts Kit posted:

Clearly the answer is to sell the LCP and use the funds to have the revolver modded for moon clips.

Can't, the LCP funded the 36

And fyeah model 36 buddies (pics coming later)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I was offered $200 for a Gen 1 LCP with two magazines and everything that comes with it from the factory. Another shop only offered me $100. You would be better served selling it to an individual, which I was I'm in the process of doing.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I'm in TN and wanted to post this before I forgot; mainly so I'd remember to look it up later, but if someone knows, that's even better.

What happens when I'm carrying somewhere, like a restaurant, that's banned firearms from their premises and I get caught? Government and school buildings are things I'm not worried about because I'm not carrying there ever because it's obviously against the law. Last night, however, I went to Buffalo Wild Wings and didn't know that they prohibited firearms on their premises. I wasn't carrying, thankfully, but instead of having an official looking sign (gun with slash through it, NOTICE GUNS BANNED, etc) they had a window sticker on the bottom third of their door that looked like an advertisement for the restaurant. It looks like this, which when I see something like that I pretty much ignore it a couple words into it because I assume it's an ad - something like "Buffalo Wild Wings has bitchin sweet wing sauces" or something. I didn't notice that it said anything about guns until I was leaving.

Granted, in the future I'm definitely going to be paying more attention, but it got me to wondering about what would have happened if I'd been carrying and someone noticed. Hearsay says that they'd have to ask me to leave, first, before involving the police, but I'd like to see something in writing first. I mean, I could see it being a legitimately honest mistake, and I might've been carrying any other night. It goes without saying that, of course, if asked to leave I'd do so with no problem. Well, maybe I'd ask if I could store it in my vehicle and come back and finish my meal, but I'd definitely have no problems following whatever they were asking. Essentially, I don't want to be carrying, miss a sign, and be in the middle of eating and get arrested.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CommanderApaul posted:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

Specifically the "Do No Guns Signs Have the Force of Law?" section.

"Punishable by fine only of $500". Sweet. Not like I'd do it because I'd rather spend $500 on something else, but I'm glad there's no jailtime - not even the six months Class Bs usually carry.

Craptacular posted:

It doesn't appear that the sign like the one you linked is sufficient under TN law to legally bar you from carrying there. The BWW's here in Texas also post the same signs, despite the fact that the signs don't meet the statutory requirements of PC 30.06 to legally bar licensees from carrying. The signs do meet the requirements under MN law to bar people from carrying a handgun at a location in MN, and BWW is headquartered in Minneapolis. It looks like BWW's legal department is lazy and/or doesn't care that the sign has no force of law in many states. Either way, it's obvious that they don't want anyone to carry there, whether or not the sign meets a legal requirement to prevent people from carrying there, so if it were me, I wouldn't spend my money there.

I think it boils down to how loose you interpret "substantially similar to" from section 3B. I'd agree that it's not, but like you said it's pretty obvious they don't want guns there. I don't go there often because it's too expensive for what it is (I had a gift card this time! ); like I said, I just don't want to be arrested and facing jailtime because they used a sign that easily blends in with their advertisements. Honestly, I think that if they cared as much about guns as they did people not smoking there, it wouldn't be a problem. They have no smoking signs every-frickin-where, but gun signs are like that or partially obscured. Ah well, thanks for the info!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Totally TWISTED posted:

Also, where in TN/Nashville has better wings than BWW? Legitimate question.

I don't really know, honestly. BWW is good, but it's also pricey. I've been meaning to try more hot chicken places, like Prince's and Hattie B's. Pepperfire in East Nashville is pretty good, but I've heard it doesn't compare to the others.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

rifles posted:

It'd be cool if the companies that are making guns that have their serials on their fire control groups in a chassis instead of on the frame itself like the P250, P230, Beretta Nano (I guess) would release frames that do the same thing as chopping a Glock. Give a full size, a mid size, and a sub-compact 2 finger size frame for every gun and make mags for each. Imagine how well a Glock with the fire control group stuck in a little chassis would sell if you could get it as a kit with a 17 or 19 sized slide and a set of full size, compact, and sub-compact frames for whatever you want to do with it.

Look how much money they'd make with a single stack 9mm and they've yet to do it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I may be forgetful and have already asked this, but what holster is this?

I also appear to still have an LCP since selling it fell through and the shop that offered me money for it said, "We don't know the guy you talked to; we're not doing any buys right now. We have a ton of those." vv

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Arden posted:

Looking for advice to someone who is new to CCW. I am very experienced with handguns and the safe handling of them, having owned many guns for almost 30 years. I am more talking about the psychological side of carrying a deadly weapon. I know I am doing everything right, but I guess running by everyone can make me feel more comfortable with it. Yes I have a permit and yes I have taken a deadly force class. (Not required in Washington State.)

Currently I am carrying a Ruger LC9s loaded with Hornady critical defense ammo. The gun is in my right front pocket in a Galco leather pocket holster. It is in “condition 1” (Round in the chamber) with the safety on. It is the ONLY thing in that pocket.

I am reasonably confident that the gun is secure. The trigger is covered and the lump in my pocket is not really gun shaped. Because I do IT work, having an IWB holster really isn’t an option, bending over and crawling under desks make printing and showing the weapon a distinct possibility. Having a customer (I own the business) see the firearm is NOT an option. So I know the place I am carrying is not ideal from a ready access point of view, but I am not sure where else would allow me the freedom of movement I need. Bottom line is my lack of experience and self-conscious nature are making me a little uncomfortable. I am being paranoid I’m sure.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Pocket carry is my preferred method. As long as you put nothing else in the pocket and use a quality holster (and replace it when it wears out), you should be fine. Only time I get concerned is when my pants are too tight and it makes a very obvious gun shape in my pocket. I use a Desantis Nemesis holster, which is a soft holster like the Galco, so it has potential to print.

Most people are oblivious, though, and will never notice. I might do as someone else suggested and remove the extension (and maybe put it on a spare mag) just to make it a bit smaller, but

Long and short of it is, pocket carry has drawbacks you need to prepare for, but other than that it's fine. I don't worry about it in the least.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Bullet setback is a problem because why?

Increased pressure due to less space in the case. Makes things go kaboom.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Arden posted:

I most certainly take the holster out of the pocket before putting the gun back in it. In fact unless I am drawing the gun for practice (which I do while it is unloaded) when I remove the gun from my pocket I pull it out still contained in the holster. Gun in holster then goes in the top drawer of my nightstand (No kids and my wife doesn't touch guns)

I was having trouble with the Galco coming out of my pocket while drawing it, so I just bought the Desantis Superfly. It is basically an upgraded version of the Nemesis.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006J31OZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks like a nice upgrade. Post some pics and your experience with it when it arrives. I was considering an aholster to break up the gun shape better, but I'm curious as to how the Desantis' flap will do.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I can't tell because the larger picture won't show up for me, but it looks like one of their 'slide' models that should fit a 17, 19, and 26.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I can see both sides, but I lean more towards Kommie's side on this. I think it's perfectly reasonable that any handgun from a reputable maker should be able to reliably feed a wide variety of ammunition. Every type might be a bit too high of a standard, as these can be some pretty tight tolerances; however, as a consumer, I see nothing wrong with having the expectation that the gun I just bought should feed the box of ammo that I'm about to buy -- almost doubly so if it's a gun that bills itself as a defense gun. Of course, it's kind of a grey area with no hard limits as to where to draw the line between the problem being the gun or the problem being the ammo.

Essentially, I see nothing wrong with having the expectation for my gun being able to shoot any box of ammo I am likely to buy in a store.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I actually like the G26 w/ OEM +2 baseplates. Conceals a little better than the 19, shoots very well. For the purpose of concealed carry I think the g26 is a better all-around choice for someone under 6' tall, as it is more versatile than the 19 when you use some of the baseplates. I also own a 19 and a 17, though, so maybe I would feel differently if the 26 was my only pistol...

Well, you do get a rail with the 19, which would allow a light... So there's that, if you wanted it to also act as a nightstand gun or something.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I've used a tiny streamlight for over a year now. I don't know the model offhand, but it's half the length of a standard ink pen. It has a clip as well, but I just toss mine in my pocket. 20 bucks at a Batteries Plus and it's bright enough to work on cars in the dark. Runs on a single AAA battery.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Ah yeah, that's the one.

Unrelated question: how can I tell if my beltman belt is worn out? I mean, it's not falling apart and still holds up my pants, so I guess it's fine. At the same time, it doesn't seem as stiff and is starting to bow outwards (if that makes sense).

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Too unwieldy for me; I already have too much on my keychain.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Leather IWB holsters for a S&W 36: Go!

I seriously thought I had one bookmarked, but I don't.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

E: nm

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The one method of carrying I seem to gravitate towards the most is pocket carry. If I have a gun I can pocket carry, I almost always carry it because it feels a lot more hidden than IWB even though my guns are concealed just fine IWB. That being said, keep in mind the drawbacks that Kommienzuspadt mentioned - slower draw, more fabric in the way of your draw, and so on. It does have the advantage of letting you have your hand on a gun while appearing to just be standing around with a hand in your pocket (e.g. getting gas late at night).

Right now I carry a S&W Model 36 and it conceals great in the pocket. I did carry a Ruger LCP for a while; I really loved carrying this gun. It's very flat and very small, so it disappears in a pocket. If you absolutely did not want to get spotted carrying a gun, I would 100% recommend the LCP + a pocket holster like the Desantis Nemesis. However, I did not enjoy shooting the LCP as much as the 36 or an airweight revolver; it was just too small for me. I also have some doubts about 380 as well.

The long and short of it is, either a j-frame S&W or a gun like the LCP will disappear on your belt and in your pocket. Either set is a decent choice for CCW, just make sure you shoot both first and side by side if possible. (I actually lucked out and was able to shoot my LCP against my 36 AND an airweight I rented, which helped me make the decision to sell my LCP.)

As far as IWB, I did not like the LCP. There's not a very big grip on the gun, and it made it difficult to get purchase on the gun with it on my belt. Not so much a problem with a revolver as the grip is a different style, and it's not an issue with a larger gun. Not saying IWB can't be done with an LCP, but definitely evaluate whether or not you can draw the LCP with it on your belt.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Love it. That holster looks pretty cool, too. Looked up the maker on eBay and found this gem:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-8th-Bay...=item4d20360ba8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

DeesGrandpa posted:

pew pew carry gats

Sup blued jframe carry buddy.

What holster is that? I need a belt holster for mine.