Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Some of my carry rigs, past and present:

Model 625PC in a Hoffner's IWB:

Glock 35 in a Kolbeson Leatherworks hybrid IWB:

HK P2000 in a Raven ACR IWB:

Model 638 in a Blackhawk leather IWB:

HK P2000 in a Raven Phantom LC OWB:

SIG P229R in a Don Hume Agent 711 OWB:

HK USP .40 in an Aker Flatsider, Beretta 96D in a Dillon Master, SIG P229R in a Raven Phantom LC, and HK P2000 in a Gould & Goodrich somethingorother:

S&W Shield in a Blackhawk pocket holster:

SIG P226 in a Kaluban Cloak OWB:

Seecamp LWS-32 with an Aker pocket holster:

Colt Comp Commander in a Comp-Tac CTAC:

SIG P225 in a Comp-Tac CTAC:

HK P2000 in a Comp-Tac CTAC:

Model 10 in a Don Hume JIT Slide:

SIG P229R in a Crossbreed Supertuck:

Manurhin Walther PP in a Bianchi #19:

STI Spartan 9mm in a Galco Conealable OWB:

Glock 26 with a Glok-Klip ():

SIG P220R Carry in a Raven Phantom LC:

Model 19 in a Gould & Goodrich somethingorother:

.38/44 Heavy Duty in a Triple K crossdraw:

Model 586 with a Dillon Master:

...and those are just the small minority that I have photos for.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Parts Kit posted:

Any interest in size comparison photos? I can do a g42 v g26, and can prob pester drav to let me borrow a g17 too.

Hells to the yeah. I'll do some, too!

638 on top of Ruger LCR:

Walther PPK on top of Ruger LC9:

Ruger LC9 on top of Kahr CW9:

Ruger LC9 on top of HK USP Compact:

SIG P290 on top of 638:

P290 on top of Beretta PX4 Compact:

P290 on top of Glock 22:

638 on top of 632:

638 and Beretta 85F:

638, 64, and 625:

More later.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 3, 2014

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

PPK on top of S&W Shield:

S&W 6946 on top of Glock 19:

P290 on top of LC9:

Seecamp LWS-32 on SIG P290:

SIG P226 and P229:

Phoenix Raven .25 and a banana:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

QuarkMartial posted:

Did you really?

Hell yes I did.

It's part of a cowboy action rig but I was playing with a bunch of different stuff for hiking with an N-frame.

quote:

So what are people using for spare mag carriers? I bought a Blackhawk! one (against patience and better judgement) and it sticks out like a sore thumb. It'll be fine for the car, but for carrying I'd like something that can actually conceal the mag.

I've got a nice matching set of kydex (a holster and a mag pouch) from TroTac to fit the Glock 19/23. The mag pouch works with any 9mm/.40/.357 Glock mag, of course, so I use it pretty much any time I'm toting a Glock.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

vigorous sodomy posted:

Why would anybody want a snubby revolver?

Because they're loving awesome?

Serious answer: you can shoot anything from powderpuff wadcutters to full-house +P or magnum loads out of the same gun without worrying how it will affect the gun's function; they can be fired from within a pocket without affecting the gun's function; and you can make contact shots if you have to without affecting the gun's function.

On top of that, some people just shoot better with revolvers.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

vigorous sodomy posted:

I can't fathom anyone considering firing the gun out of their pocket, and I don't know what a contact shot is so

Well, there you go.

Also, a snub isn't just a 1-7/8" airweight J-frame. A K-frame snub such as a 10 or 19 gives you a lot more options as far as grips go.

As far as triggers, they get a lot nicer once you move up from a J-frame. Not that they're that heavy to begin with. And they're generally very smooth triggers.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I didn't realize they were so close in size. I'll have to take another look at my buddys shield.

Definitely consider the Shield. I've owned four "tiny" 9mms:

SIG P290 - decent gun, reliable and accurate, has actual combat handgun sights on it, but is double action only (though it's a manageable trigger)
Ruger LC9 - tiny sights, reliable, but had by far the most felt recoil of any of the four and an annoyingly long DAO trigger
Kahr CW9 - more shootable than the LC9, had acceptable sights, but tended to be picky with JHP ammo and shot high with every ammo I tried (about six inches high at ten yards)
S&W Shield - accurate, reliable, good sights, acceptable trigger with positive reset, and it's been reliable with every brand of JHP ammo I've tried. The Shield is actually enjoyable to shoot, which is rare in a "pocket" gun. I've even shot a couple small IDPA matches with it and stayed in the running with the local top dogs who were running Glock 34s and 1911s and such.

The Shield is the only one of the four that I still own.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

On an unrelated concealed carry note, here's a shot of my G23 with the TroTac OWB and mag carrier.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

SpelledBackwards posted:

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I love my Shield and the fact that it actually fits my baby hands (I can use the safety and mag release one handed unlike with any other larger gun), but the rear white pips fell out of mine spontaneously--one within maybe 6 months of getting the gun, and the other about a year later.

I got the sights replaced with a set of Ameriglo Pro I-dot (I think?), and while I like them quite a bit for ease of acquisition especially in low light, I paradoxically shoot worse with them. Granted, I'm not a fantastic shooter and I've maybe only run 6-7 mags with them in. I probably need more practice and some formal training.

Man, I really like them. I haven't had any issues with mine so far; I've owned it for about six months and put a couple hundred rounds through it. If I could get the Ameriglo CAP sights for it, I'd do it in a heartbeat though.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Shaocaholica posted:

I was watching some videos on youtube of a video simulator for LE and I thought it was weird that every single scenario presented always ended up at some point requiring the use of force. There were a few plot twists here and there but it was certain that at some point in the scenario the user had to use force. I'm not keen on those systems but isn't there someone controlling the scenario and they can also choose different paths based on what the user does? Do they design and film these scenarios with de-escalation endings?

Depends on the system. Most of the newer ones have branching scenarios that can be resolved various ways depending on the actions of the officer and the whims of the instructor.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I've carried a ton of full-size handguns over the years; I've posted a bunch of photos in the first couple pages of this thread. But if there's anything specific I've got that I didn't post, let me know.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Appendix-carried a VP9 all day today.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

MrYenko posted:

Does your VP9 give you warm fuzzy feelings like mine does for me? I really, really like that gun.

Yup. I really like it. I've only had one range session with it so far but it shot so well right out of the gate that I'm probably going to make it my regular EDC, and I'm looking for a light-bearing holster much like you are.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

Does the mag. look like Mec-Gar could do up a 17 round flush-fit or are we going to be stuck with 15 round mags in a G17 size grip?

I bet Mec-Gar could easily engineer one...

If HK would let them.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I hated XDs before it was cool.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

z06ck posted:

I think you'd like my XD40 with the PRP action(trigger) and Trijicon HD's, just sayin'

Probably.

I did shoot an XDM compact with Talon grips on it and it was pretty nice.

Part of my opposition to XDs is based purely on looks. Part of it is that, to the best of my knowledge, the XD hasn't passed any federal weapons trials. And part of it is that they cost more than Glocks now. It was a lot easier to consider one or recommend one when they were $350.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Archer carries a .32.

If size is a primary concern, a .32 is a better choice than a .22. But not by much. As others have noted, from a statistical standpoint .380 is pretty much the floor for self-defense cartridges.

But going back to size. I love my Seecamp LWS-32. But despite it being made mostly of stainless steel, it's very snappy to shoot and not much fun. But it is tiny.

Here it is compared to a SIG P290, which is the smallest 9mm I've ever fired.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

45 ACP is okay as long as it is loaded in a custom 1911 or Glock 21. Providing someone calls the 21 a fatass pig.

What about a USP .45?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

They're what, $40?

If you're lucky. At least for the .45, mags are typically $60 but if you're patient you can occasionally find one here or there for $50. On the other hand, ProMag does make mags for the USPf .45 for around $30, and they mostly work.

Now if you're talking about a USPf in .40, or a USPc/P2000 in .40 or 9mm, then mags can be cheaper. CDNN just had USPf .40 mags for $15 each (well used). But it's not the first time they've had them for less than $20. Their standard price on 9mm USPc/P2000 mags is $25, and they've gone on sale for $20 before. Same thing goes for the USPc/P2000 .40 mags.

But if you're going LEM, don't get a P2000 unless you have a super compelling reason to pick one over a USPc, like you absolutely must have the universal accessory rail or the ambidextrous slide stop. And don't be turned off if you can't find a native LEM; if you find a good deal on a DA/SA gun you can always pick up an LEM conversion kit and do it yourself later (provided you're not afraid of taking the gun apart a bit, and can follow online instruction guides). This only applies to the USP line, though. As far as I know a DA/SA P2000 can't be converted to LEM without a LOT more work.

On the other hand, yeah, Glock mags are $20 each all day long at CDNN, and I've seen used ones for $12 or so, especially if you buy in quantity.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 29, 2014

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

gently caress HK forever because if you're not a government organization, major metropolitan LEO force, or military they want nothing to do with your peasant self.

Oh yea and gently caress off expensive mags.

u jelly

But seriously, they're supposed to have gotten better lately. Once I figured out where I needed to ship it, I had no issues sending in an old USPf for the free firing pin and block upgrade.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Didn't I give you a CTAC for a P2000? Hows that holding up for you?

No issues, though it hasn't seen what I would call hard use. When I carry the P2000 I mostly run it with a light so it normally sits in my Raven Phantom LC.

But now that I have two P2000s, I want to start mixing it up a bit.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The VP9 is surprisingly concealable when carried in a JM Custom AIWB holster. I never wear this particular sweatshirt while carrying because it's pretty tight-fitting, but with this rig it works just fine.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

According to BBTI, there's still about a 200 FPS difference out of a 2" barrel (700-800 vs. 900-1000), and I suspect that extra velocity would result in more consistent expansion in real-world conditions.

But having said that, there is a huge difference in recoil and muzzle blast, even out of a steel-frame revolver. And I personally carry .38 +P in my .357s, unless I'm in the woods. In most situations I'd rather make a couple quick, accurate shots with that .38 +P than one shot with a .357. Sort of the same argument with 9mm vs. .40, I suppose.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I've carried the Buffalo Bore standard velocity LSWC-HP in snubs and larger guns and they shoot well (and on a side note, the Remington +P version of that load does as well without feeling like it's got a lot more recoil to it). But out of a snub, they don't seem like they expand much if at all.

A load that I'm a big fan of and which is theoretically still available is the Federal Nyclad. It's standard velocity and it's supposed to perform well out of short barrels. But it's definitely hard to find.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Propagandalf posted:

How much difference does a bobtail make as far as 1911 concealability? I'm in the market for a 1911. I'd like to be able to carry it, and my fat rear end has problems printing with angled grips.

Right now the Sig 1911 Scorpion and Carry/Carry Nightmare are the contenders. The Scorpion (though awful in name and color) has a rail, but no bobtail. The Nightmare and Carry have the bobtail, but no rail. Does anyone else make a commander sized 1911 with light rail and bobtail for under $1000?

I don't know, but the Carry Nightmare is the only one that's available in .357 SIG.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

loud-bob posted:

is $250 a good deal on an LCP? It seems like it. Probably used though.

Seems like a pretty good price for an LCP, as long as it's not completely clapped out.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DeesGrandpa posted:

Last I was seeing in CT was $239-249 new

That's like $20-30 less than dealer price.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

QuarkMartial posted:

I reload 38spl is the main factor behind those guns in particular. The Glock is definitely too thick, so swapping to a 26 or a 19 won't really help in that regard. Something slimmer could potentially work, but I frankly see myself going with a revolver as that's what I am most comfortable and confident with.

At the same time I'm poor, so I won't necessarily be running out to go grab anything. It's something I'll just keep thinking on for a while and seeing what I prefer as far as shooting and handling and all that jazz.

E: Saying that I was going to get a revolver this Spring was a poor choice of words on my part, sorry.

Get a 19.

A Smith & Wesson Model 19, that is.

Edit: Or something like a 686+, which will give you nearly the capacity of the Shield.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 30, 2014

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Sounds really really paranoid.

Until you're gunned down in your own driveway in a case of mistaken identity.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Bummey posted:

Okay, fair, it's a very difficult thing to consider. Are you willing and able to really, truly, hurt another person as badly as might be required to save yourself? Are you prepared to kill, if necessary? It's a deeply disturbing proposition.

Rory Miller, in his book Facing Violence, goes into a lot more detail about the weight of such decisions but how you still need to consider them ahead of time:

quote:

1.2: ethics

Hurting someone else, the intentional infliction of pain and damage, is generally wrong. Invading another’s space violates social taboos you have absorbed since childhood. Most of the rules you learned about how to be a good human involved not hurting people. Most of these rules are ingrained so deeply that you are not consciously aware of them. If you ever need to defend yourself with force, you will likely run into these issues.

What are your personal ethics of violence? This is deep stuff, because what the conscious mind believes often has little bearing on what the person can do. It is perfectly logical to say, “I am willing to use deadly force to defend myself or my loved ones from imminent death or serious bodily injury.” It’s a nice statement. Very logical. Legally defensible. Clearly right on many levels. Saying it does not mean you will do it. In “Betrayed by the Angel” (Harvard Review Nov./Dec. 2004) Debra Anne Davis writes with heart-breaking honesty about her rape. I use her example, not because the situation is unique, but because her courage in writing about it is so rare. In her description she tells of what I would call “decision points,” e.g., “My first impulse is to shut the door. But I stop myself: You can’t do something like that. It’s rude.” or “I’ve made the mental choice to be rude, but I haven’t been able to muster the physical bluntness the act requires.” At each of those decision points she did not make the decision based on the circumstances she faced. She made those decisions based on her self-image and early civilized programming. She did not slam the door in her rapist’s face because to do so would be rude. Do not for one second think that this is uniquely her problem. Your programming is just as deep. The thoughts that “That would be rude” or “This kind of thing doesn’t happen to people like me” are very common in people who suffer violent attacks and freeze. This programming is subconscious and takes a great deal of work and insight to bring out into the light of day and consciously examine. It is imperative to work it out in advance.

1.2.1: the conscious stuff: capacity

Mauricio Machuca, a friend and martial arts instructor in Montreal, talks about capability and capacity. Capability is a physical skill. If you are a martial artist you know how to hurt another human being. That is one of your capabilities. But not everyone is emotionally equipped to hurt a human being. It doesn’t always come out in the knowledge: “I could never do that. It’s wrong.” More often it comes out when you actually apply fingers to flesh and begin to twist, even in training, and feel a sinking in your gut. When the idea of putting your fingers through someone’s eyes creeps you out. That is capacity, and not everyone has the internal, personal capacity to inflict harm on another person.

I don’t know where your capacity lies. In all likelihood, neither do you. I know quite a bit about mine but I doubt if I truly know the limits. I know what I have done to violent criminals when I was at risk. I’m okay with that. But change an element... Let’s play a game: Someone comes at you with a butcher knife. You have nowhere to retreat. You have a gun. The Threat has Intent, Means, and Opportunity to kill you and you have precluded all other options. This is a shoot/no-shoot scenario. Do you shoot? Do you kill? Are you okay with that? Think about it. Now change an element. The Threat is twelve years old. Do you still shoot? Kill? Are you okay with that? If the Threat were six years old? Four? A woman? A pregnant woman? A mentally disabled person who can’t realize what they are doing? Your own spouse? Your own child? What if the Threat’s toddler children are watching? What if cameras are rolling? The threat is the same—even a four-year-old with a big knife can kill and there are no degrees of dead.

Do you feel the same about all of those scenarios? I don’t. Even knowing full well how dangerous a knife is and how many people die from overconfidence I would have a hard time shooting a child. I might feel differently about the other scenarios but would act the same—I would just feel worse about it later. Think about this. Explore it. Listen to your gut feelings before you try to logic it out. When you do try to logic it out, pay special attention to when you are rationalizing—when your logic is serving not to make the best decision but to justify the decision that your gut wants.

Your gut knows you better than your brain ever will. Your training should align itself with your gut. If the age of the Threat matters, you might have a bigger concern with appearing to be too weak to deal with a “small problem.” You, to some degree, might value your ego over your life. (S’okay. We all do that to some degree.) Gender doesn’t matter much with a knife. Dead is dead and the point of a knife is that it doesn’t take strength to leave you bleeding on the floor. If you hesitate here, you may be crippled by your own macho self-image. If your gut clenched on the pregnant woman, you are aware that your actions will also impact people you can’t see. This is just basic sensitivity, even wisdom... but it can kill you. Wise isn’t always safe. If you would have trouble shooting the mentally disabled, you have the two concepts of self-defense and justice intertwined. You want whatever force you use to be used on someone who is bad or, preferably, evil. That does make the conscience easier. Unfortunately, you can be hurt or killed by people who may not be able to understand the ramifications of what they do.

Using deadly force against family brings up all kinds of cognitive dissonance. If you are willing to die to protect someone, where is the line between that and letting someone kill you so that you don’t kill them? Objectively, mathematically, they are the same, but someone trying to kill you is not the family member you imagine. A low-level version of this may explain why date rape so rarely inspires violent physical resistance. If you hesitate with toddlers watching you, know that what you do in this arena will have ripples forever. It is easy to talk about killing, but some people wince when you say, “making widows and orphans.”[1] Widows and orphans. People with no culpability who will be forever changed by your actions.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Crunkjuice posted:

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for any sane civilian to carry 4 different firearms on him, one of which is an ar-15 pistol with 5 loving spare magazines for every day carry. Dude has serious problems.

20 bucks says he's wearing body armor with all of that as well.

...said the guy who's never lived in Flint.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

nurabsal posted:

But if it has to be a revolver, definetly the LCR.

In the circumstances described, I'd even be down with the .22 Mag idea, or an airweight six-shot J-frame in .327/.32 H&R Mag, if such a thing exists. But I feel like the LCR is a friendlier gun for inexperienced shooters.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 21, 2014

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

Guns don’t kill people. It’s impossible to be killed by a gun. We are all invincible to bullets and it’s a miracle.

Guns don't kill people. We are all immortal souls living temporary in shelters of earth and meat.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The Rat posted:

I'd probably look at Safariland first. But I'm no expert there, you'd have to ask infrared35 or someone like that.

amazon -> "safariland als 1911"

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

32? I thought you were a beefy Blackwater contractor.

He's a svelte Blackwater contractor.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

Not Crimson Trace, you will die in a ghetto, vision fading as your own blood mingles with shimmering oil slicks, gently spiraling into a drain.

QFT

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

MoraleHazard posted:

Can someone recommend a decent strong-side outside the waistband holster for a full-size 1911? I have to send my XD in for the recall so will use my 1911 as my carry gun.

If you like leather, look at the Galco Combat Master.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Thunderwear.

Don't shoot your dick off.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

A USP Compact .45; if it's DA/SA it can be carried cocked and locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Itchy Itchiford posted:

After trying countless numbers of different carry gun/holster combinations I've found that there is no one right answer. I've also found myself in a situation where I literally have to limit myself to one firearm. I've decided on the HK P2000SK in 9mm with an LEM trigger. I want something about that size that's capable of mounting a light for HD, can accept larger magazines, has no manual safety, and doesn't have any sharp edges toward the rear as I like to appendix carry. I've also considered the M&P9c, all manners of Glocks, and the Walthers. Is there anything I'm missing or should consider? This will be my only firearm for at least 2 years and needs to be able to be carried with minimal effort beyond a good belt/holster but still be useful as a HD weapon.

A regular P2000 isn't that much bigger than the SK, it holds 13 +1 rounds in a standard mag and 18+1 with a Taylor Freelance +5 bottom (or 20+1 with a P30 mag and TF +5 bottom), and takes a standard weaponlight.

Same thing applies to the USP Compact, though its light mount is proprietary so you'd need to get a TLR-3 with the proper mount, which is obviously less convenient than just throwing whatever light on like you can with the P2000.