Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
WARNING: This game contains some weird/sometimes creepy anime bullshit. (Almost to the level of Fantasica, if you played that)

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soccer-spirits/id808137814
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.com2us.soccerspirits.normal.freefull.google.global.android.common&hl=en

Goon List
Forum Name - In-game name
DontMindMe - DontMindM
Tequila - fartlord

Soccer Spirits is an...interesting game. It was released very recently (September 25th, 2014), and there are still some initial promotions going on that will give you a great head-start.

It is published by com2us (who made Summoners War). As such, it is yet another F2P game. Thankfully, the in-game premium currency (crystals) can be acquired fairly easily without having to pay a dime. And similar to Summoners War, there is a daily mission that rewards crystals each day.

Resources
I still haven't come across a wiki yet. I'll add more here once I dig up more resources. For now:
Mibbit chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com. Channel is #soccerspirits
Subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/soccerspirits

Gameplay
The game plays like a weird tug-of-war. Your team consists of 10 players: 3 Offensive, 3 Mid, 3 Defensive, and a goalie. The goal is to break through the enemy line and break through the goalie's defenses to score a goal. At the moment, a game seems to instantly end once a goal is scored. The game will also end if the match goes on for 45 minutes (time goes very fast in game).

Attack commands:
Penetrate: Attempt to break through a defensive character. You will usually not lose the ball when you do this (but there is a small chance they will steal the ball from you). If you reduce their HP to 0, you move onto the next part of the field. That character can perform one action before returning to their position.
Pass: Pass the ball to another player. The player you pass to gains a damage boost on their turn.
Shoot: Take a shot on the goal. You will lose the ball when you do this. If the goalie reaches 0 HP, you win.

Defense commands:
Steal: Attempt to steal the ball from a player. If you reduce their HP to 0, you steal the ball and move up the field. Again, that character can perform one action before returning to their position.
Block: Reduces the enemy's action meter, either causing them to delay, or forcing them to pass the ball to another player.

Each character also has a unique skill, which can range from really strong commands, buffs, nerfs, or HP recovery.

Starting out
First, if I recall, it asks for a username (I believe the limit is 9 characters, considering I was forced to use DontMindM). It will also ask for a referral ID. It seems to indicate that it is the in-game ID, and NOT the Hive account ID. I didn't enter one when I started, so I don't know if you get extra crystals for being a referee. If you do, let me know and I'll update this.
Also, be sure to join the Global Server.
Next, pick a character (both choices are fine) and play through the tutorial. You can ignore the silly story (after the tutorial, the story seems to completely disappear), but pay attention to the game mechanics.
Finally, go to the event's tab. There are several events going on right now. Since the game JUST came out, you get a lot of great stuff in your mailbox right away. Some other events:
Quiz: If you answer the question right, you get 10 crystals. If you get it wrong, you get 1. Check this thread for answers.
Daily Coupon Event: Provides a promo code each day, which gives you a coupon (free rare pull).
Global Release Special Event: Contains a lot of information. The main point is that you may want to get to level 20 before the event ends.
"Enter your promo code here": where you enter in various promo codes you may come across. I "think" THEMAGGIE is still active, which gives you a free 4-5 star character.

After that, just progress through the Story Mode and various other modes will unlock.

Currencies
Gold: Used for various things, such as training and evolving.
GP: Gained via achievements, Colosseum of Despair, and Galaxy League. Used to buy cards found while scouting.
Crystals: Gained via achievements, Story Mode (Free Mode), completing teams, evolving, etc. This is the premium currency. It is used to draw new cards, expand inventory, and restore ST and BP.

Menu
There are three menu areas: Visiting, Lodgings, and Management.

Visiting: Where you play matches
Story Mode: Pretty straight forward. You just progress by competing against various CPU teams. Once you finish an league, you can return to it to complete sub-missions for rewards. They all seem to have the same sub-mission: Score 2-3 times with a Shoot skill, Finish the match in a certain amount of time, and beat a certain score. If you are looking for managers, some of the free mode missions reward them. Challenge mode unlocks after completing chapter 5, but I haven't tried it yet. Uses "ST"

Space Time Continuum: Mainly just consists of special matches. During the week, you can acquire evolution materials from the daily match, and gold + "Swirlies" from the weekend match. Right now there are "Rival" matches, which appear to provide a chance of acquiring a 4* player. Uses "ST". I found the rival match to be a good way to burn energy quick and get a decent amount of EXP (1000 per 10 stamina), but your team needs to be pretty decent to beat even the easiest match.

Colosseum of Despair: Progress through a series of matches to rise in rank. Once the season ends, you are rewarded based on your rank. Uses "BP". Sometimes you will be hit with a bullshit team that is a much higher rank than you. You don't appear to lose rank for losing, so go ahead and eat the lose. The team will most likely be replaced with an easier team. You also get EXP whether you win or lose.

Galaxy League: This is a PvP system. You enter a tournament and compete against other player's teams. However, matches are "auto-played". Prepare to be frustrated with your AI. If you tie/lose, you are out of the tournament, and have to start a new one, which can be done once for free a day.

Lodgings: Various options
Inbox: Where you receive rewards and messages
Friends: Where you can view people on your friend's list, friend requests, etc.
Shop: Contains the option to refill ST and BP, buy crystals/gold, and expand your lodgings (inventory) size.
Achievements: Where you can claim rewards for completing particular achievements. When you complete achievements, a banner will typically appear at the bottom of the screen.
League: Jumps you right to the latest match in Story Mode
Event: Contains the various events currently going on

Management: Various Options
You have three management positions: Trainer, Sponsor, and Scouter.
Trainer: Have abilities relating to BP and ST regeneration.
Sponsor: Have abilities relating to currency. So far I've only seen gold related abilities.
Scouter: Have abilities relating to "Draw". My current one provides 150 FP on use, but some provide actual cards of a particular element on use.
Management cards can acquired via Friendship Draw, scouting, or through missions in story mode.

Profile: Contains various pieces of information about you.
Scout: This one is interesting. Every 2 hours, you can "scout", which reveals 3-5 random cards. You can buy these cards with BP, which can be acquired through achievements, Colosseum, or Galaxy League. I am still not sure what is worth getting via scout (although if you spot a Scouter, might as well grab one to fill the position. They seem to be rare).

Characters: Library of the various cards in the game, split up by "schools". If you complete the roster for a school, you get 30 crystals. Pretty hard to do, considering most schools contain at least 1 5*. The groups under "Special Cards" can be acquired fairly easily, though.

Etc: Various options.

Players
Formation: Allows you to setup your team. You can have 5 formations (one formation is labeled PvP, which is used for Galaxy League). Cards have special positions where they get a boost, which can be viewed in the card's profile. Red is best position, and yellow is good position. Boosts aren't necessary, so don't be afraid to place a card in a non-boosting space.

Cards also have a "type":
Striker: Specialized for "Shoot"
Assist: Specialized for "Pass"
Defender: Specialized for survival
Leader: Specialized for spirit gauge (I believe this is related to the special skill)
Attacker: Specialized for penetration (Breaking through the enemy line)

"Ace" is your leader. If you are friends with someone, they can use your ace player as a helper. Each character has an Ace Effect listed in their profile. For example, my leader Bora has "Increases Attack Power and HP of Ardor (Fire) Attribute players by 15%".

Speaking of card profiles, there are a couple of things in there:
Player Info: This is where the character type is listed. Clicking the ? gives a description of the type.
Spirit Stone: Cards have particular colored stone slots. Once a stone is equipped, you can update that stone by selecting another stone to sacrifice and selecting Power Up. Once a stone reaches level 5, it can be evolved for a price. The evolved stone receives a new random attribute.
Specialize: You acquire specialization points every 5 levels. You can also gain one by training with a duplicate card. This is called a Superb Power-up, and it is above the EXP bar in the profile.

Train: You can gain experience via matches. However, this can take time. Training allows you to sacrifice cards in order to level up another card. Sacrifices of the same attribute will give a 1.2x boost in EXP. From my experience, I only sacrifice 2*s to help characters reach level 10, and then use penguins (material specifically for leveling up) for the rest.

Evolve: Once a character reaches level 50, they can be evolved. Evolution materials are acquired via daily special matches (Space Time Continuum) or from events, such as the Halloween one happening now (look under achievements).

Sell: Allows you to sell cards for gold. 3*+ cards provide some GP as well. Most people just sell their 2*s, because they aren't very useful for training beyond a certain point.

Draw
This is where you draw new cards. At the top, you'll notice multiple tabs. Selecting a particular element improves the chances of pulling that particular attribute (although you can still pull other attributes).

Friendship Draw is where you spent your FP (Friend points). It is possible to pull rare management cards from this.

You get a free Friendship pull a day, and a free rare pull every 3 days (I think). You'll know you have a free pull when the currency icon shows an open box instead of crystals.

You can also use Coupons, which are cards with a "P" on them.

Special Cards
Swirlies: Used to increase the stats of cards
Elementals: Evolution material. Specific elements are available on certain days.

Dark Elementals : SUN 8am ~ MON 8am(PDT)
Fire Elementals : MON 8am ~ TUE 8am(PDT)
Ice Elementals : TUE 8am ~ WED 8am(PDT)
Wind Elementals : WED 8am ~ THU 8am(PDT)
Sun Elementals : THU 8am ~ FRI 8am(PDT)

Gate Keepers: Each type serves a different purpose. Some of them aren't implemented yet. They can also serve as evolution material (which sucks).
-Littre: Fire Gate Keeper. 3* Littre increases Superb Power-up for 2-4* cards. 5* Littre does the same for all cards.
-Kuma: Water Gate Keeper. Gives a very large amount of EXP when used for training.
-Mera: Wind Gate Keeper. Ability is not implemented yet.
-Neris: Lightning Gate Keeper. Cards have a "natural" star level. 4* natural cards can be evolved to 5*, but they are not considered natural 5*. Basically, if you have a 4* card, max superb power-up it, and then evolve it, you can then train it with a 5* Neris and receive a random 5* natural card.
Penguins: Used for training. Provide large amounts of EXP.
The penguin matches are only available at certain times of the day. The schedule is:

Flame Penguin
-(SUN) 8am ~ 9am (PDT)
(MON) 8am ~ 9am (PDT)
(MON) 2pm ~ 3pm (PDT)
(MON) 8pm ~ 9pm (PDT)
(TUE) 2am ~ 3am (PDT)
Ice Princess Penguin
(SUN) 2pm ~ 3pm (PDT)
(TUE) 8am ~ 9am (PDT)
(TUE) 2pm ~ 3pm (PDT)
(TUE) 8pm ~ 9pm (PDT)
(WED) 2am ~ 3am (PDT)
Genius Penguin
(SUN) 8pm ~ 9pm (PDT)
(WED) 8am ~ WED 9am (PDT)
(WED) 2pm ~ WED 3pm (PDT)
(WED) 8pm ~ WED 9pm (PDT)
(THU) 2am ~ THU 3am (PDT)
Angel Penguin
(MON) 2am ~ 3am (PDT)
(THU) 8am ~ THU 9am (PDT)
(THU) 2pm ~ THU 3pm (PDT)
(THU) 8pm ~ THU 9pm (PDT)
(FRI) 2am ~ FRI 3am (PDT)
Coach Penguin
(FRI) 8am ~ FRI 9am (PDT)
(FRI) 4pm ~ FRI 5pm (PDT)
(SAT) 0am ~ SAT 1am (PDT)
(SAT) 8am ~ SAT 9am (PDT)
(SAT) 4pm ~ SAT 5pm (PDT)
(SUN) 0am ~ SUN 1am (PDT)

WORK IN PROGRESS. Need to dig up some good images

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Reserved.

In as DontMindM

Also, the quiz right now is "Does the Player that receives a pass only get bonus Attack Power?". The answer is false (X).

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 3, 2014

Darque
Oct 1, 2008
Yo whats good. I think this is the first time i've ever posted on here LOL

for people that play the game, go ahead and hop on the irc :D

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

I should note, the game has a bit of engrish. It isn't as bad as most games, but you may end up with gems like this:

Darque posted:

Is in-game also Darque?

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 3, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DontMindMe posted:

WARNING: This game contains some weird/sometimes creepy anime bullshit. (Almost to the level of Fantasica, if you played that)

Wonderful

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Honestly, most of it is fine, but I can't help but feel one of the artists went a little overboard with some of the cards.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
I remember when Games had no lovely japenese f2p mobile games on it. That was a good time.

The post itself was well made, but seriously, why the gently caress are people posting about mobile games designed to suck your bank account dry? Have we become the worlds worst gamers who can't pick up a 3DS or get emulators on their phone and play real well made games, or is this simply the new generation?

The only half decent mobile game with a f2p model is nimble quest, which is still completely playable without spending a cent or waiting for more energy or poo poo or anime cards in some game literally no one they know in person plays it. I have a roommate who keeps telling me about these sick new games they just got on their mobile, while I'm playing Dota or dark souls or 3DS or literally anything else that isn't randomly downloaded because you can't invest into a computer or a hand held console. Even then, play some loving earthbound with an snes emulator (while owning a legit copy in person, because who doesn't own earthbound), and delete every other app on your phone because they're useless and a waste of your time in comparison.

But answer me this, who the gently caress plays a cellphone game so often they feel the need to post about it to goons hoping for friends. If you have time to play some lovely anime soccer game against random people you don't know, you probably have time to do something better like reevaluating your position in the great equation, or something simple like killing yourself. I mean, don't actually do the latter, but this poo poo needs to stop. Unless you created it, in which say so, so we can call you out on your lovely marketing attempt and support you as goons like we tend to do for game developers. Unless the verdict is your game sucks.

Darque posted:

this is the first post besides the OP, and it sucks and feels like the conversation went:

Man 1:"hey man no ones posted yet, can you use your sa account to bump it?"
Man 1:"yeah let me just log in to my alternate account"

Because it was probably the same person. And they're also likely crazy.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Source your quotes.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Honestly, I play them because they are good time wasters while I am outside of my home, like during breaks at work or on public transit, and they don't cost me anything. When I am at home I work through my huge PC/Vita/3DS/PS4 backlog (hell, I just finished the Dark Souls II DLC and I am playing Smash Bros on 3DS right now).

I found out about some fun games because other goons created threads for them (Nimble Quest, Puzzle & Dragons, Pocket Knights (for a time), Summoners War, and so on), and probably wouldn't have found them otherwise. Most of them turned into premium currency nonsense as time went on, but at least they were enjoyable time-wasters for a time.

I find the game interesting, and the premium stuff doesn't seem that bad so far. That is why I created a thread, in case other goons might be interested in it. The thread also helps for people who have questions or want to discuss team-building strategies.

The game just came out, and honestly, it may end up being terrible as time goes on. But right now it is a good time waster. If it does end up being bad, then this thread will fade away like the others.

The post you are referencing though was just an old SA user who happened to be in the IRC chat at the time who wanted to help out the thread.

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 3, 2014

Darque
Oct 1, 2008

Chippita posted:

The post itself was well made, but seriously, why the gently caress are people posting about mobile games designed to suck your bank account dry? Have we become the worlds worst gamers who can't pick up a 3DS or get emulators on their phone and play real well made games, or is this simply the new generation?

Your criticism of mobile games makes me think you are one of these individuals that let these mobile games "suck your bank account dry." Dear lord I haven't heard someone so salty in a response to a thread of a player made for a game they happen to play at the time.

While I agree that most mobile games are designed to quickly cash in on the rising mobile market, but who are you to judge what games people can and cant enjoy? If you find these ingame transaction mobile games frustrating to play, then dont play it. You can go ahead and show your distaste for the game if you want, but there is no need to shame people that dont play a "real game."

I haven't spent a penny on this game and I still found the game to be quite enjoyable.

Chippita posted:

this is the first post besides the OP, and it sucks and feels like the conversation went:

Man 1:"hey man no ones posted yet, can you use your sa account to bump it?"
Man 1:"yeah let me just log in to my alternate account"

Because it was probably the same person. And they're also likely crazy.

Yes. An alternate account that is older than the op. Do me a favor and kindly remove the carrot lodged between your buttcheeks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ran through the incomprehensible tutorial and got to draw a card.

Oh cool, thanks for the panty shot of a schoolgirl, game. :negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then my next couple of draws.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
This game is absolutely ridiculous and fascinating and makes me want to die.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I warned you!

EDIT: On another note Bartel is a pretty good goalie. There aren't many of them in the game.

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 3, 2014

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Phew! I think I finished adding all the necessary information to the first post.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Playing as fartlord.

Not too bad for an embarassing anime soccer game.

You can game the referral system really easily with bluestacks. There's no referee minimum level to get the reward!

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Tequila posted:

Playing as fartlord.

Not too bad for an embarassing anime soccer game.

You can game the referral system really easily with bluestacks. There's no referee minimum level to get the reward!

Good to know. I could really use the referral 5 and 20 reward, since my team is fire based

It also took me way to long to realize this: Your spirit meter is at the bottom left, and is shared with the entire team. For some reason, I thought each person had their own meter. This is what is drained when you use a special skill, and the skill indicates how much of the bar it consumes.

I also found out how Neris work, so I'm updating that entry. Basically, let's say you have a 5* Neris. If you have a 4* that is maxed in Superb Power-Ups, and then evolve it to a 5*, you can then train them with Naris to receive a random natural 5* card.

It is basically a method to upgrade from natural 3* to 4*, or 4* to 5*.

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 5, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mang I saved up 300 crystals to do the megadraw and that is a fuckload of anime panties. Shameful as hell but otherwise it kind of pokes at my collect and play needs nicely.

Also there's the autoplay button at top left if you dont want to actually play. :v:

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!
The game is no Summoners War but it's enjoyable (if you ignore the anime panties.) And I don't even like soccer.

The little story bit at the start was funny in a "This is ridiculous, what the gently caress is even going on" kinda way. But after that it just stops completely. I wonder why they even bothered with it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Hahaha

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Just pray you never run into Jill. That card creeps me out because they went into a little too much detail.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
There's a card named Ortega that's also realllly bad.

Gaming the system is a lot harder than I thought it would be since its not letting me create new IDs in Bluestacks anymore

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Tequila posted:

There's a card named Ortega that's also realllly bad.

Gaming the system is a lot harder than I thought it would be since its not letting me create new IDs in Bluestacks anymore

I noticed that too. Despite completely uninstalling bluestacks and clearing out settings, it still remembers the old profile

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Game isn't too bad. Been playing it since I got bored with summoners war. Drop rates are way better here. Dropped $30 and half my light team is 5 star.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
Are any of you Bluestacks users having issues with hangs at some arbitrary loading percentage half the time? Not even able to get through the tutorials...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh gently caress evolving characters. It wouldnt benso bad if they didnt lose half their clothes, and they dont start out with much.

DontMineMe you're wrong. This has turned out to be far worse than Fantasica. But the game mechanics itself are interesting. :sigh:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

What are some good tactics/team formations people have found? I know running Striker/Assist/some tough player to hold onto and possibly steal the ball in the front has been nice for me, doubly so when I use front support. Not really sure how to setup my mid and defense though. I've been trying to mix Attacker/Defender/Assist OR Leader for a balance, but has anyone found success with a better setup?

Also, my IGN is SMike and I'm sitting on a 5* blue midfield ace with 20% attack power on penetrations. Add me if you want her.

Edit: Sorry, she's actually RWF, I just have her in midfield on my team.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 12, 2014

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Is the game freezing right on boot up for anyone else?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

It did at first for me, but I forcequit it and that seemed to clear up whatever issue it had.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!

Mechayahiko posted:

Is the game freezing right on boot up for anyone else?

Yes, it's been like that all day. Force close or reinstall didn't do anything for me.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
What are tips for getting high scores for the Free Missions? I can't break like 5000 on most of them, but I haven't drawn a single striker so that may have something to do with it

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Go in with an overlevelled team, beat the other team down until they have no one left to beat, tap the ball in. That's worked for me so far on high score challenges.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
How do Swirlies work, and how should I be using them when leveling my guys?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They give you a +3 to one stat if they work. I save them up til I get a pretty good success rate by training with a bunch of them, otherwise they're wasted.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I'm okay with this.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh gently caress evolving characters. It wouldnt benso bad if they didnt lose half their clothes, and they dont start out with much.

DontMineMe you're wrong. This has turned out to be far worse than Fantasica. But the game mechanics itself are interesting. :sigh:

I don't think it has reached late-development Fantasica levels of nonsense (yet).

While the game mechanics are interesting, I am starting to play Terra Battle instead, so I am just logging in each day for now.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Holy poo poo the Galaxy AI makes me want to strangle someone. Just had a match where my striker with a full spirit bar used a normal shot, goalie was left at 1 HP.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
The galaxy matches are the AI only PvP matches right? I'm pretty sure they are predetermined and the matches are just eye candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Really? That's a little odd. Still infuriating to see a spirit bar untouched during one of the matches.

• Locked thread