Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
MicroProse simulator manuals were the best. I can still identify pretty much any aircraft because of the F-19 Stealth Fighter manual.

Talk about your favorite doorstopper manuals here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Not an old PC manual but any manual written in universe owns

Raidou v. soulless army is a good one

Whoever decided modern games should not have manuals should be executed

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I still have the spiralbound billion-page manual for Neverwinter Nights. It's pretty cool, lots of lore on monsters and detailed info on spells and poo poo, it's basically a D&D rulebook.

It's one of the only games I had a manual for at the time. I mostly just played Genesis and SNES games at the time and I had just gotten the GameCube but all my games for all the above consoles were secondhand and had no manuals.

I got Megaman X Command Mission but couldn't play for like a week due to being on the road. I took the manual with me and pored over that for the whole time, then had my dreams horribly crushed by the terrible game when I got home. It wasn't a long manual or anything, I just like, never had game manuals before that.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
bigass manuals were great for reading on the train/bus home when you just bought a game so you were ready 2 game when you got home

earth 2015 has a great manual with literally every unit in the game and huge backstories for each faction

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Still have my homeworld and mechcommander manuals

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i still have the manual/novella that came with the original Dark Reign kicking around somewhere. and the Starcraft and Diablo ones. my friends traded the diablo manual around like some malevolent and forbidden text back in middle school, which seems appropriate.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Lords of Magic had a pretty good manual.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i would bring manuals with me to school to read during lunch and study halls and everyone made fun of me for doing so and also one time a really cool person ripped the book out of my hands and ran away and stole it forever and i never saw it again and my dad told me to never bring those loving things to school again (his words)

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
Hell ya now games just come in a box with a key :c
Homm2 book was great.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

We already talked about this in the last homeworld thread but it's worth bringing up Homeworld: A Historical and Technical Briefing again. It was probably one of the greatest items to ever come with a pc game. I remember reading it for hours between gaming sessions

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I remember all the Blizzard games at least up to and including Warcraft 3 having awesome manuals. I remember the Starcraft and Warcraft ones including Chris Metzen's 'art' which looked like something a bored middle schooler might doodle during math class.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
Fallout and Fallout 2 had awesome manuals, I'm going to dig through boxes now, thanks IMPS.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Omar_Comin posted:

Fallout and Fallout 2 had awesome manuals, I'm going to dig through boxes now, thanks IMPS.

The vault dwellers journal entries in both are good but the fo2 ones are the best

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
i would carry around the sim city 2000 manual + a giant guidebook for it and read both over and over

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Jackie D posted:

Still have my homeworld and mechcommander manuals

really miss my homeworld manual

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I remember buying Falcon 4 from Wal-Mart for $20 and going loving nuts at how drat cool the manual aka BINDER was. That poo poo has to border on being a realistic flight manual.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I loved the Illusion of Gaia manual.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

red alert had cool manuals and i think i remember it had 2 distinct ones for allies and soviets and they were written totally in-character

rad as gently caress

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Why did they have to die out.

cant games just include them as pdfs at least?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Agean90 posted:

Why did they have to die out.

cant games just include them as pdfs at least?

They have been replaced by 4 hour long tutorials.

Paying people to write a manual costs money so they don't do it.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

titaniumone posted:

red alert had cool manuals and i think i remember it had 2 distinct ones for allies and soviets and they were written totally in-character

rad as gently caress

Tiberian Sun probably had the best manual of any C&C game. RA2 had a fold-out tech tree that I looked at maybe once.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
SimCity SNES had the biggest manual I'd ever seen for a console game, it was more like a small strategy guide.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
My coworker printed out the manual for Civ V. It's about the size of a phone book.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

I spent hours of my youth reading the Hero Unit Biographies in the Empire Earth Manual

Dec 26, 2012

sacrifice's manual wasn't novel-sized but it owned because each faction was written up unit by unit by their faction leader/god of a specific domain

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Apparently the red alert one had morse code messages on each page that eventually become two soldiers basically texting each other about giant ants.

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Alert_1_manual

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The only thing I liked about Master of Orion 3 were the paragraphs of lore scattered throughout the manual.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
My favorites were the early Ultima Online manuals.

Also Myth: The Fallen Lords and Soulblighter had good manuals with cool art.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ah, a tome of arcane knowledge! What secrets could it hold?

lol

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Pretty sure the Jane's manuals were actually just the real helicopter manuals with a new cover.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
manuals > tutorials, itio

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
SimCity 2000's manual was more a textbook on urban planning and civic engineering than the actual game.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I used to lug around my old Baldur's Gate manual and read it in middle school.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

huge manuals owned gently caress digital manuals and lovely tutorials

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't need some tutorial to tell me that pressing right makes me go right.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Shakin my fool head no mention of the Alpha Centauri manual.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ctrl-f arcanum, no results smh

it was worthless because it was like 10 pages on how to play the obtuse piece of poo poo and then 200 pages of neato lore

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

MicroProse simulator manuals were the best. I can still identify pretty much any aircraft because of the F-19 Stealth Fighter manual.

Talk about your favorite doorstopper manuals here.

I think Civ 4 (or was it 3) was the last game to do this, now it's all in-game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
you could probably actually play D&D with the baldurs gate manual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mach2 posted:

I still have the spiralbound billion-page manual for Neverwinter Nights. It's pretty cool, lots of lore on monsters and detailed info on spells and poo poo, it's basically a D&D rulebook.

hell yeah, i still have my gold box krynn trilgoy manuals and they're ballin

and then you realize that you rolled a half-elf and the manual reveals he'll never progress past fourteenth level and you're like gently caress this game

• Locked thread