Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Fixed, thanks. I can never keep straight which provinces do and don't have MPPs/MLAs.

Isn't it just Ontario that has MPPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

vyelkin posted:

Fixed, thanks. I can never keep straight which provinces do and don't have MPPs/MLAs.

Ontario, Quebec, and Newfoundland just HAD to be special snowflakes.

(ON has MPPs, QC has MNAs, NL has MHAs, everywhere else it's MLAs).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

As in, if there's not a significant gap in the "coalition" (or whatever they're calling it this time) caused by our absence, then why commit Canadian lives and Canadian dollars until we can do actual good with them?

I'm not saying we could or that a bombing campaign would even be effective, but if we could theoretically help prevent a genocide now, shouldn't we? Or is it ok to stand by and watch while someone else does it for you?

Basically, I agree with Helsing though - at some point we're going to need to commit to a long term plan that involves more than just bombing or invading. Colonialism is a problematic approach, but I'm starting to believe it's a better alternative than what we're currently doing.

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Dreylad posted:

A good OP, a good discussion, a good thread.

Peace, order, and infrequent shitposting.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A bombing campaign will not be effective. It's not like these guys have a particularly large amount of heavy equipment to bomb any anyways.

Unless you're talking about B-83s, of course. Those might have an effect.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dallan Invictus posted:

Ontario, Quebec, and Newfoundland just HAD to be special snowflakes.

(ON has MPPs, QC has MNAs, NL has MHAs, everywhere else it's MLAs).

What do they even stand for? I'm from Ontario and it took me a bit to pick up on what an MLA was but I still don't know what it stands for.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

What do they even stand for? I'm from Ontario and it took me a bit to pick up on what an MLA was but I still don't know what it stands for.

Member of the legislative assembly

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

BattleMaster posted:

Respectively, (Members of) Provincial Parliament, National Assembly, House of Assembly, and Legislative Assembly.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

infernal machines posted:

The thing is, even if we believe bombing ISIS targets will improve their lot somehow, doesn't it still make more sense for us to commit our resources to the aid and rebuilding side of the equation?

As in, if there's not a significant gap in the "coalition" (or whatever they're calling it this time) caused by our absence, then why commit Canadian lives and Canadian dollars until we can do actual good with them?

I'm not an expert on military operations or rebuilding shattered countries so I really have no idea what the right role for Canada is but I'd generally agree that the things you're describing sound like they'd probably be better than the things we're currently committing to.

BattleMaster posted:

I beleive it's:

MPP - Member of Provincial Parliament

MLA - Member of the Legislative Assembly

MNA - Member of the National Assembly

Edit - lotta people scrambling to share the same basic piece of information I see!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm not saying we could or that a bombing campaign would even be effective, but if we could theoretically help prevent a genocide now, shouldn't we?

What is this, the 24 school of international diplomacy? If we could stop a terrorist from detonating a nuke in Vancouver by using torture, shouldn't we torture him? (Apologies to Scalia)

What about committing a small compliment of CF-18s is in any way going to prevent a genocide? How does that work? Is there a genocide headquarters that simply needs to be bombed to shut it all down, but the Americans, Brits, and French just can't hit it without our help? Is there some threshold of bombs that must be dropped before ISIS will realize the folly of their ways? Does Canada alone poses genocide seeking missiles?

Jordan7hm posted:

Colonialism is a problematic approach, but I'm starting to believe it's a better alternative than what we're currently doing.

What we're currently doing is not killing people and not putting Canadian lives at risk for a rather dubious and ill defined goal.

When there's some actual measurable good to be done, that'll be the time to step in and commit people and resources.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Oct 3, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kafka Esq. posted:

edit: gently caress I love this thread title.

:wink:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
:psyduck: Will it ever end?

quote:

Toronto on track for record house sales this year

Sales have been especially strong in the sector that was widely seen as being oversupplied and at risk of a price slump — condominiums.

Toronto is on track to see a record number of house sales this year as demand — and prices — continue to climb beyond almost anyone’s expectations, even for condos.

More than 8,000 homes sold across the GTA in September, bringing the number of transactions up almost 11 per cent for the first three quarters of 2014 compared to the same period last year, according to figures released by the Toronto Real Estate Board Friday.
Prices were up 8.5 per cent for the same period, year over year, with the average year-to-date price, for houses and condos combined, hitting $563,813, says TREB.

“If the current pace of sales growth remains in place, we could be flirting with a new record for residential sales reported by TREB members this year,” says TREB’s director of market analysis, Jason Mercer.

Sales have been especially strong in the sector that, just a year or so ago, was widely seen as being oversupplied and at risk of a price slump — condominiums.

The continued, unrelenting climb of Toronto prices — to the point where price growth here, as well as in Vancouver and Calgary, are skewing the national average — has renewed some calls for Ottawa to push up interest rates to slow down housing demand.
That could be an even more dangerous move, says Capital Economics economist David Madani in a note released Friday, given the high levels of household debt in the country.

House prices have already started to drop in Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax, he points out. And he anticipates that “demand fatigue” will spread over time to Canada’s major housing markets, as well.

Yet the Toronto housing numbers continue to defy the naysayers.

With the average sale price of detached homes in the City of Toronto now almost $1 million and intense competition for semis driving prices into the stratosphere, condos are now the go-to form of relatively affordable housing for folks just trying to get a toehold in a market that, so far at least, shows no signs of slowing.

Resale condo transactions were up 20.2 per cent in September over the same month of 2013, according to TREB’s figures. Most of the growth, some 32.2 per cent, was in the 905 regions compared to a 15.6 per cent increase in sales year-over-year in the 416 region.

Prices were up an average of 7.1 per cent — 9.2 per cent in the City of Toronto compared to 3.5 per cent in the 905 regions, says TREB.

That means the average sale price of a condo in the 416 is now skirting $400,000 — $395,505 — while it’s climbed just past $300,000 in the 905 regions.

The house sector continues to be plagued by a shortage of listings, especially in some high-demand areas of the City of Toronto, notes TREB.
That has helped push detached house prices up, yet again, by 11.5 per cent in the city and 8 per cent in the suburbs. That brought the average sale price for a detached to $951,792 in Toronto and $656,003 in the 905 regions in September.

Sales for detached homes were up 7.6 per cent across the GTA — 10.6 per cent in the city and 6.5 per cent in the suburbs.

Semi-detached house sales climbed 11.5 per cent in September, year over year, as prices hit an average $689,414 in the 416 region and $447,485 in the 905 regions.

Townhouse sales were up 7.2 per cent year over year with September sale prices averaging $476,408 in the 416 region and $409,327 in the 905 regions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

On my 15-minute walk to campus each day I pass seven different condo developments at one or another stage of planning or construction, all on one street.

It will never end. Even after it ends we'll be left with empty steel towers and giant holes in the ground.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

vyelkin posted:

What this thread is NOT for, but it happens all the time anyway:
  • Whose city is the best/worst? (it's Toronto. It's always Toronto that is simultaneously the best and worst)
  • Whose public transit is the worst.
  • Foodchat.
  • Yes, we get it, you hate Tim Hortons.
  • Stories about our time in Canadian universities.

This thread's going to be a slow one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Note that the data comes exclusively from TREB. Not to say that it's inaccurate, because how would we know*? But they do have an interest in presenting an image of a constantly expanding market.

*One of my clients does market research for condo development companies. The only data they have that doesn't come from the companies they work with is scraped from TREB listings.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 21:56 on Oct 3, 2014

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Frankly, I'm surprised we apparently had a discussion about my username being awesome and I missed it.

edit: kind of hurts that's my accolades after Helsing is so smrt

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

This thread's going to be a slow one.

At least we can still have CanadaPostchat!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/temporary-foreign-workers-needed-for-b-c-s-future-says-premier-1.2786289

quote:

British Columbia Premier Christy Clark has accused federal politicians of "tragically misdirected" policies over the issue of temporary foreign workers, as she pushes for the thousands of skilled labourers needed for her envisioned liquefied natural gas industry.

Clark took a bold stand in a speech to the province's business community Thursday, just ahead of her government's return to the legislature and planned introduction of new LNG laws.

She told the Vancouver Board of Trade luncheon that as federal election campaigning unfolds, leaders in Ottawa must stop playing politics over the controversial program.

"We should not think about people who come from across the world to British Columbia to work as being something less than the rest of us," she said, after laying out her Liberal government's priorities.

"Call them 'potential new Canadians,' because they're coming here to help us build our country."

quote:

The B.C. Liberals also want to mitigate an expected dearth of labour, which will only grow larger if their LNG plans are successful.

Clark said her government is attempting to re-engineer secondary and post-secondary programs to ensure young people are properly trained for skills-intensive work. But even wooing workers from other provinces will not be enough to meet the demand, she warned the gathering. The only option will be to look overseas, she said.

quote:

She told reporters after her speech she couldn't give figures on what proportion of the economy will need to rely on temporary workers.

"The fact is that as we're building (LNG), there's going to be a spurt in the number of workers that are required. Those jobs will be temporary in nature," she said.

"We've done some work on estimating what that might look like."

Asked for specifics about the discrepancy, Clark's office failed to provide a direct response.

lmao

gently caress you christy

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Christy Clark bloviated posted:

"Call them 'potential new Canadians,' because they're coming here to help us build our country."

"The fact is that as we're building (LNG), there's going to be a spurt in the number of workers that are required. Those jobs will be temporary in nature,"

Thanks for coming, Potential New Canadian! Now get the gently caress out!

But don't worry, this is how she shows foreign workers that she truly cares about them and isn't simply sucking up to corporate interests nosir

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
E. ^^^ now she just needs to find a way for them to be able to vote.

The restrictions on TFW are still on fast food places, and there has never been a path to true immigration right?

Just want to confirm how dumb and/or disengenuous BCs Idiot-in-Chief is.

Notmypants
Jan 3, 2014

Pants pants moose pants.
Here in Quebec, the main political problem is why there isn't a hockey team in Quebec City and when we might get a hockey team in Quebec City.

Also the Liberals are making GBS threads up everything for everyone, because AUSTERITY. :suicide:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

HookShot posted:

At least we can still have CanadaPostchat!

Canada Post can die in a fire and the government should re-nationalize it again.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mad Hamish posted:

Canada Post can die in a fire and the government should re-nationalize it again.

Nationalize everything!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
fuckin Christy Clarke, stupid fuckin BC goddamn

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

JawKnee posted:

fuckin Christy Clarke, stupid fuckin BC goddamn

BC pol thread title

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
So a bunch of people in Canada (St. Catherines, Brampton, Montreal, and now Toronto) probably don't have Ebola but that doesn't stop the news from reporting about it non-stop. The first three have all already tested negative and the Toronto one is almost certainly also not Ebola, but it's headline news anyway.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Given the choice I think we'd rather have ebola here in BC than Christy Clark.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Mad Hamish posted:

A crown corporation *is* nationalized? Do you want to roll it back into being a direct government department instead?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SubCrid TC posted:

A crown corporation *is* nationalized? Do you want to roll it back into being a direct government department instead?

Honestly? Yes. They are making a series of incredibly boneheaded decisions in a hamfisted attempt to turn more of a profit which are hugely motivated by a desire to destroy CUPW and thereby get away with not paying people a living wage or pension. The five-point action plan is far too much, far too late, and is being implemented in the most half-assed fashion possible.

I don't see why it's necessary for Canada Post to turn a profit, and the downside to this is hugely evident in light of recent cutbacks in service while instituting massive price increases. The vast majority of Canadians already labour under the impression that Canada Post is paid for by the taxpayers, why not switch it back?

I work in their outsourced call centre and have very strong opinions, because I see the stupidest goddamn poo poo you wouldn't even believe.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Is...is this seriously a thing? Red Wings got stuck in a traffic jam on the way to playing the Leafs, which caused John Tory to turn this into an election issue:

quote:

Unacceptable that #Wings are stuck in traffic. Ms. Chow and Mr. Ford failed to fight gridlock. #SmartTrack will get #Toronto #BackonTrack

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/makayla-sault-earlier-first-nation-child-who-refused-chemo-relapsed-doctor-1.2787249

quote:

A Hamilton oncologist testifying at a hearing into an indigenous child who has quit chemotherapy in favour of traditional medicine says in a similar case earlier this year, another First Nation girl stopped her chemo and has now suffered a relapse.

Makayla Sault's leukemia has come back, according to testimony by McMaster Children's Hospital's Vicky Breakey. Although Breakey didn't name the patient, it's clear she was referring to Makayla. The 11-year-old girl from the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation left chemotherapy treatment at the McMaster hospital in May to pursue traditional indigenous medicine.

yeah i totally didn't see that coming

quote:

Breakey said that in this new case, the girl would have had a 90 to 95 per cent chance of survival if she had continued with chemotherapy. The pediatric oncologist also cautioned that those odds diminish the longer she is without treatment and said if she doesn't return to chemotherapy, she will die.

McMaster doctors were informed by the girl's mother that they had decided to quit chemo after 10 days of treatment. The same day, the hospital referred the case to children's aid.

After investigating, the Children's Aid Society decided not to intervene.

The hospital then decided to take the society to court in an attempt to force it to act.

McMaster Hospital defends court action to treat aboriginal girl

Brant Children's Aid Society director Andrew Koster testified today that he felt the case should have been heard at the provincial Consent and Capacity Board, which has the power to determine if the girl had the capacity to make her own decisions about her care.

The girl and her family are not participating in the court proceeding.

In an interview with CBC, her mother said: "As a member of the Six Nations Confederacy, I will not have my decisions of health care for my child debated and judged in the Canadian judicial system.… The Canadian judicial system does not have the authority to determine our law or practices, which predates the existence of Canada, valid or otherwise."

man, gently caress you

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I'm pretty sure the Canadian judicial system still applies on reserves.

Not that I'm on the side of the parents in this, but I can't help but think that this would be less likely to happen if hospitals/health authorities took the time to provide culturally relevant support to First Nations families. Cancer's a terrifying thing at the best of times, and it's doubly so if you've come from the middle of the bush to the big city.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
what the gently caress is 'culturally relevant' cancer treatment

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cultural Imperial posted:

what the gently caress is 'culturally relevant' cancer treatment
Not the treatment itself, but rather the support surrounding it. I don't know much about cancer treatment, but I assume there's counseling, and explanations of the process, and what to expect, etc that goes with it. Having someone who is familiar with your beliefs/traditions/expectations to help guide you through that goes a good way in making people feel at ease.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Helsing posted:

Saying that the conflict "has more to do with hundreds of years [of] old tensions" is basically just apologism for America's massive gently caress up, though perhaps you're not doing that consciously. It's also a way of subtly implying that all the problems with the middle east come from its internal culture and history, which lets you frame it as some barbarous backwater that requires foreign military intervention, which conveniently helps justify further invasions and attacks.

I am speaking more to the fact that Sunni's and Shia have hated eachother, and murdered eachother for hundreds of years, and while America has recently caused the flare up by removing a dictator that held it all together by use of force, I would say that the United States was necessarily the cause of it, but more so the trigger. This doesn't absolve United States of their gently caress up, and Im not apologising for their massive gently caress up, but Im strictly speaking in terms of this current situation and whether or not it warrants further intervention. I think most people are in agreement that the threat from ISIS warrants some form of intervention or influence on our behalf to counter it. Now the debate comes down to kinetic or humanitarian operations. Quite frankly, I don't think humanitarian only is going to work in at this point because non-intervention into Syria has already failed us because instead of picking a side and backing it (secular, anti-Assad forces), we decided not to intervene, or we danced around and flip flopped, and we let the situation go out of control on its own.

ocrumsprug posted:

Air strikes not actually being a combat role seems like a fairly obtuse opinion to have, and makes it a bit tough to really take what you have to say seriously.

By that logic, no one at all (other than the Kurds that don't wish to be genocided) are engaged in "combat operations". If you do something that directly ends the life of another combatant, you are in combat.

Look, your connotation and definition of what combat arms, versus combat support and combat service support is completely fair, you're entitled to your own opinion on what to you that means. However, I was going off of basic standard military doctrinal definition. That is, there are three distinct types of units, there are Combat Arms, Combat Support and Combat Service Support. Now there is variation between countries doctrine (In Canada, Combat Arms includes Infantry, Artillery AND Armoured, while say in former Warsaw Pact nations, Combat Arms is strictly Infantry and Armoured, while Artillery is Combat Support) but generally speaking they fall along these sort of lines.

infernal machines posted:

What is this, the 24 school of international diplomacy? If we could stop a terrorist from detonating a nuke in Vancouver by using torture, shouldn't we torture him? (Apologies to Scalia)

What about committing a small compliment of CF-18s is in any way going to prevent a genocide? How does that work? Is there a genocide headquarters that simply needs to be bombed to shut it all down, but the Americans, Brits, and French just can't hit it without our help? Is there some threshold of bombs that must be dropped before ISIS will realize the folly of their ways? Does Canada alone poses genocide seeking missiles?

This is a really odd argument, and I think Helsing really nailed it on its head. Just because Canada has small capabilities in force projection doesn't mean we shouldn't assist in a broader coalition if that's the agreed upon objective. The question here is whether or not we should in the first place. This weird "Oh well we're so small anyways why bother" argument is weird because guess what, the alternative some people here are suggesting falls along your same argument ("Oh well why should we bother, we could only deliver like x tons of humanitarian aid with our transport planes. The USA and France don't need our help in this".). I really don't understand your argument here, and really I just think its a way to try and erode the the position of "pro-military intervention" with a weird angle instead of just tackling it head on.

And guess what, military operations, like many things, aren't a pure quantitative science. If Military planners could have generated a "threshold of bombs to stop an enemy threat" they would have definitely tried by now. But you do also realize there is a ton of doctrine, research and experience in military operations that has some say in this discussion right? The military shouldn't be the ones to make the end decision, but our foreign policy needs to be guided by assessments of capabilities, and then couple them with ideological/foreign policy goals.

swagger like us has issued a correction as of 07:23 on Oct 4, 2014

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Medical treatment in general is incredibly stressful, and a lot of good is done in healthcare by treating patients like people, instead of a sick cow or something. People are different and require different ways of being treated.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

swagger like us posted:

This weird "Oh well we're so small anyways why bother" argument is weird because guess what, the alternative some people here are suggesting falls along your same argument ("Oh well why should we bother, we could only deliver like x tons of humanitarian aid with our transport planes. The USA and France don't need our help in this".). I really don't understand your argument here, and really I just think its a way to try and erode the the position of "pro-military intervention" with a weird angle instead of just tackling it head on.

Because providing humanitarian aid, protection, and help rebuilding is (as I see it) an objective good. It fits well with the Canadian self image of "peace keepers", and it's something we have considerable experience doing.

Providing minimal force projection support to several much larger and better equipped armies, at significant cost to ourselves, seems less good. So unless there's an overwhelming reason for us to do so, why should we do it?

Do you seriously believe the situation in Syria would have developed significantly differently if Canada had sent some CF-18s?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

swagger like us posted:

Look, your connotation and definition of what combat arms, versus combat support and combat service support is completely fair, you're entitled to your own opinion on what to you that means. However, I was going off of basic standard military doctrinal definition. That is, there are three distinct types of units, there are Combat Arms, Combat Support and Combat Service Support. Now there is variation between countries doctrine (In Canada, Combat Arms includes Infantry, Artillery AND Armoured, while say in former Warsaw Pact nations, Combat Arms is strictly Infantry and Armoured, while Artillery is Combat Support) but generally speaking they fall along these sort of lines.

This is a really fascinating pedantic argument about whether combat support qualifies as a combat role, please continue your excited posting about standard military doctrine vis-a-vis dropping explosives from the sky as opposed to from the ground.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

I was visiting my parents in Kitimat last week, and boy are they building a lot of new townhouses and subdivisions out there for all the future LNG workers. The old "new" subdivision, which was supposed to be mostly space for hobby farms close to town, is just a bunch of stupidly big houses. The newspaper had an editorial about how Kitimat needed to adopt "Vancouver-style" policies for approving new construction projects. All this and more on the faith that Christy Clark and the BC Liberals are going to come through for a bunch of people in northern BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Whiteycar posted:

Nationalize everything!

This, but unironically.

• Locked thread