Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I am so happy I'm not in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mr. unhsib posted:

I cannot loving BELIEVE Sorkin is re-using the "tech billionaire buys cable company" plotline again.
Wait, when did this happen before?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

basically its super pretentious and in the west wing you had martin sheen to alleviate some of that but now it's smart people jerking off onto each other in every scene.
The West Wing had a lot more going for it than just Martin Sheen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

brylcreem posted:

What the gently caress kinda movie is that?
Movie title is in the about, Dear Wendy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

With the Ave Maria montage at the end, what was with Sam Waterston's part? It looked like he was peering into rooms at some mental hospital where the patients were all involved in music therapy, and was personally picking out a band of mentally disabled musicians for the wedding, wtf
"West Wing did it (better)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQsVBolPNs

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm watching episode 3 right now and thus far, this season is actually pretty good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

Like these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case Their entire life got hosed because of her claims. It never happened. They are innocent but, in the court of public opinion, they are still rapists because the media didn't really report the fact that it never happened because that isn't newsworthy. A rape that didn't occur isn't worth talking about. Does that take away from actual rape cases that happened? No. But don't get blinded from the facts just because a girl said something happened. Girls can and do lie too you know. Never take anything at face value, no matter how much it tugs at your heartstrings.

That whole episode was about how the internet reacted to that lacross case, and Sorkin is right.
The 3 defendants in the Duke lacrosse case received $20 million each. Evans got a (presumably) MBA from Wharton in 2012, Finnerty is a stockbroker at Deutsche Bank, and Seligmann is a law clerk.

Their entire lives did not get hosed.

Poetic Justice posted:

My GF can't even go to the Pottery Barn without being under constant threat of danger or assault, yeah, that's absolutely reality. Duck and cover.
A friend's fiancee kind of feels that way, though I wouldn't say that's the norm.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ugh, in episode 4, when Sloan and Charlie are talking with the potential investor, she pronounces "accretive" as "accrehtive". That drives me up a loving wall.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

My friend, you have to learn to read. I will bold the relevent words for you.

According to author William Cohan, Duke reportedly agreed to pay $60 million to the three accused (with each player receiving $20 million) along with confidential terms and apparent silence provisions attached.

I hope that helps you in your reading comprehension and trust of media both private and public
And details of confidential settlements never get leaked? If you're skeptical of the amount, it's not unbelievable, and frankly, a first time lawyer could've gotten them at least $5 million each.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

Ok man, I'll take your word that is exactly what happened. They are all millionares now, they just had to be called rapists, no big deal, ok.

Poetic Justice posted:

I've heard josh layman raped some chicks, NBD if it's false he'll get a few million dollars.
At this point, literally 99% of Americans could not tell you what their names are or recognize them. Being called a rapist isn't nothing and I'm sure it was tough for them for a while, but they're free and clear now and yes, many millions of dollars richer.

But sure, focus on everything except the "free and clear now" part.

edit: v Literally focused on everything except the "free and clear now" part. And to be clear, yes, I'll take $20 million to be called a rapist for 3 weeks.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 8, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The real question is why Sorkin spends so much time on relationships when that's clearly not his forte. I mean, is he getting a directive from the network or something? He's the showrunner on an HBO show. He could have done ANYTHING he wanted.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh god, this loving Ave Maria is the worst period scene period ever period.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"You're paid $55,000/year. That's almost twice the national average for a family of 4."

:what: No, median household income is is $52,000. What the gently caress?

edit: What the gently caress was that ending? Will and ghost dad? Will we never find out why Charlie was being such a lapdog?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 8, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Foo posted:

It was apparently revealed (though I wasn't paying attention at the time because I was too distracted by how awful the scene was). He was being a lapdog to save all of them from being canned.

I think?
Yeah, I guess that makes sense, but why wouldn't Charlie just tell them that?

I googled for what "Oh Shenandoah" is about and apparently nobody knows, so add that to the stack of bullshit this show has put us through.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What the gently caress was Maggie talking about on the plane with the turbulence being due to laminar flow? Laminar flow is the opposite of turbulence flow, which is what air turbulence is due to - it's in the loving name.

This is literally worse than hurricanes are caused by low air pressure since that's at least half right.

And how the gently caress did "Honor thy father is the Third Commandment" get into the West Wing pilot? That seriously makes me so mad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You're missing the point. "The 9 Most Overrated Films of All Time" is clickbait trash and something a news organization shouldn't do.

The fact that the list only goes back to 1999 is the poo poo sandwich on top.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

I had no idea Sorkin was responsible for the screenplay of The Social Network. :stare:
He won an Oscar for it. It was the biggest award the movie won.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So I've finally started watching The West Wing and although there are tons of Sorkinisms, it's really a great show.

Which makes the newsroom even more painful to have watched.
Dammit, I've been looking for someone new to the show to do a West Wing podcast with. :argh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Sell me on the West Wing, Lyman. Is it on Netflix? I enjoyed the first two seasons of The Newsroom, but everything except for the Neal storyline in the last season fell flat to me.
You know how people still loved Michael Jackson later in his career despite the obsession with young boys because of what he did earlier in his career? Well, The West Wing is Sorkin's Thriller.

And yes, it's on Netflix. I'm thinking 2 episodes at a time per week would be a good schedule.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 17, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thwomp posted:

I'll just post this as it's the opening of Season 2 and as someone else said, you can skip straight to season 2 (but if its your first watch, still go through Season 1). This is just an example of The West Wing near its best and will whet your appetite for the show:
SPOILERS YOU JERK!!!

Skipping season 1 is asinine.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 17, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

Charlie was planned from the very beginning, Sorkin just didn't feel his intro fit in the first two episodes.

I love the wild rear end assumptions people make when they can't rationalize how someone could make something they like, and something they didn't.
Furthermore, Martin Sheen was hired under the assumption that the President would be a minor character. He was not hired to fix a problem, as pentyne is saying. Bartlett simply became a major character once it became clear how amazing Martin Sheen was in the role.

This isn't even inside baseball. Both these things are well known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

Was that lyman to the cop?
No way in hell I'd ever say something like that. :colbert:

It was Agent Coulson to Donna.

quote:

CUT TO: INT. WHITE HOUSE LOBBY - DAY

DONNA
Mike?

MIKE
Yeah?

DONNA
Come on back.

MIKE
Thanks. Listen, churches are burning down. Otherwise, I'd be hitting on you.

DONNA
I appreciate that.

MIKE
Sure. Maybe when it's a better time.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 26, 2014

• Locked thread