Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The show is literally Aaron Sorkin smugly telling news networks how they should act while at the same time he writes some of the worst female characters ever brought to TV and spends most of the show having Will being this magnanimous "great man" but being a smug, borderline sociopathic monster most of the time.

Oh and his "Benghazi" analogue was an entire season of cringe-worthy "dramatic moments" force-fed to the audience via such compelling methods of delivery like "slowly printing off tweets one by one and reading them aloud". I couldn't tell if Sorkin was trying to mock attempts by Fox to create fervor over Benghazi or it was just his "Modern news networks are wrong and he's my TV show proclaiming why using year old examples and hindsight"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

have fun with this piece of poo poo, i loved TWW and watched every season of it, even though only about half of them were any good, and even by the end of s1 of the newsroom i was fuckin done with this nonsense

The show is great fun to watch, because the sheer unfounded arrogance on display with Will and the numerous and hilarious examples of how bad the woman characters are (except Olivia Munn, who actually does a pretty good job). The "accidentally sending an email to the entire media world" could have been one of the highlights for worst writing for a female character in 2013.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

Maybe you've just become adjusted to it's terribleness. Are you watching other, better tv in between viewings? I didn't realise just how lovely the newsroom was until I started rotating it with Breaking Bad

I knew how bad it was from the moment of Jeff Daniel's first "great man" speech, and was periodically confirmed with some absolutely atrocious writing for the female characters.

Season 2 was their attempt to tell a serial, connected story with Genoa, peppering in their crack at OWS and other current events, but the entire thing fell so flat that only the acting talents of a few characters, Sloan, Don, and Charlie managed to keep the show from being a complete loss.

The "dramatic" moments for the Genoa story were also unintentionally hilarious in a way the writers didn't expect but gave the show an entirely different dynamic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hey, new season!

It's still garbage, probably.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Watching the new episode now, trying to figure out the plot is like trying to figure out the Sons of Anarchy plot this year but just lots of "muslim terrorist news bombings" instead of "guns heroin chinese blacks".

The conspiracy nut web pro also blatantly committed espionage and is connected to a Snowden analogue.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Can someone explain why I, as the viewer, was told how great Maggie was on the air? She wasn't. Yet everyone acted all impressed.

I'd have to say this was one of my least favorite episodes. It was almost like a different show.

That scene at the beginning with her continuing to do sit ups while the trainer was giving borderline sexually aggressive encouragement was really bizarre.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Piper posted:

thread title material.

Sorkin scolded all the "other" non-ACN news networks for outsourcing their Boston investigation to Reddit and then implied that ACN's new MORAL HIGH-GROUND caused their drop to 4th place. He's basically saying that social media cripples the ethics of news networks but avoiding social media makes you irrelevant. I don't think either of those arguments are valid.

Which is funny because it was the NY Post front page "Bag Men" article that started the real shitstorm.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Episode was decent enough. I think its pretty clear by now that the show is going to portray the US government's response to Neal's involvement with the classified material as "hosed up".

Neal is clearly going to be a mash-up of Snowden and the other guy who the US charged with espionage. I feel like that'll make for a much more interesting story then "sits around tables reciting journo creed and being threatened with legal action"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I can't believe The Newsroom and The Office are having a crossover season. Just waiting for Mindy Kaling to waltz in and awful all over everything.

If this show crossed over with The Mindy Project it could only improve.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

So why only six eps this season? Was that Sorkin's idea or HBO's?

Given that Daniels won an Emmy for his role the fact that this show is given a quiet death speaks to just how completely poo poo it is. Any other show where the main actor wins an Emmy would normally being a big deal, but given that that his actual win was a huge shock, and almost everyone thought it was undeserved (literally everyone. He beat Walter White, Don Draper, Nicholas Brody, and Frank Underwood, easily 4 of the best dramatic characters of the decade), it makes sense that HBO wants to bury this show with the minimum possible effort and the involves 6 episodes for a third season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

God drat it Toby, I hate you so much.

Why do you choose to be the way that you are?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

They are young kids that start a group of pacifistic gun fetishists. It ends about as well as you'd expect with "Written by Lars von Trier" on the box.

Still not as bad as Vincent Gallo.

"Who got the lead actress job? Oh...by the way I wrote a hardcore blowjob scene into the movie with my character where I cum in her mouth"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

gently caress drat Ryan is more unwatchable than ever. Glad he is in at most two more episodes after this.

He's pulling off smug billionaire man child pretty well. The only character I aggressively hate is Jim's "I want to be a citizen journo stick it to the face of old media digital revolution' but I'm pretty sure Sorkin wrote her that way to express his contempt for internet bloggers/self proclaimed journos who think they're the future of news media.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow, this a supremely awful episode, especially in context of the Rolling Stone rape story. Literally the only thing I liked about it was Ryan flipping his poo poo over Sloan's insubordination and what I thought correctly telling them to get the gently caress out if the Will deliberately disobey management.

And holy poo poo Maggie/Jim could not be any more cringe worthy and just plain awful.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tadashi posted:

I'm pretty embarrassed I ever thought I liked this show after this episode. I don't think whoever wrote that scene

"Whoever" is Aaron Sorkin. A man known for his horrifically misogynistic style has topped everything he's ever done in the past 2 decades and written the absolute worst loving think that his named is signed on. The fact that it occured in the same week that Rolling Stone walked back their graphic college rape story only means this episode will get an insane amount of additional backlash as a result.

quote:

“The kind of rape you’re talking about is difficult or impossible to prove,” Don tells her. It’s not a “kind of rape,” the woman responds sharply. She argues that her site isn’t about getting revenge, that it’s “a public service”: “Do not go on a date with these guys, do not go to a party with these guys.” Don cuts her off: “Do not give these guys a job, ever.” He argues that she’s making it easier for men to be falsely accused, but the woman says that she’s weighed that cost and decided that it’s more important that women be warned. “What am I wrong about?” she asks. “What am I wrong about?”

At this point, Don gets to make his win-the-argument speech about the dangers of trial by media, lack of due process, etc. “The law can acquit; the Internet never will. The Internet is used for vigilantism every day, but this is a whole new level, and if we go there, we’re truly hosed,” he says. He warns her that appearing on TV will hurt her: she’ll get “slut-shamed.” She begins to cry and tells him that, while he may fear false accusations, she’s scared of rape. “So you know what my site does? It scares you.” Her case will be covered like sports, he remarks with disgust. “I’m gonna win this time,” she replies with bravado. And so Don goes back to ACN and he lies, telling his producer Charlie that he couldn’t find the woman at all—and then Charlie throws a tantrum and dies of a heart attack, but that’s a matter for a different post.

There is no loving chance this season will be defined by anything other then this scene. A male writer decides to basically lecture the audience about how rape isn't a big deal and lying whores will always try to jam up a decent man and to ignore how prolific and abhorrent rape is in a college environment because there's always a chick just trying to cause problems. The idea that a bunch of women will decide to use anonymous rape reporting websites to get petty revenge by making false accusations trumps all other possibilities because clearly the majority of its use will be false reports and to injure innocent men via "Internet justice"

gently caress you Sorkin, and I'm glad that your reprehensible episode aired during a loving typhoon of rape news stories so people can see just how much of a piece of poo poo you are.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Was Sorkin trying to predict that the Newsroom would be "underrated" or something with this last Neil rant? Nobody reading those "top 10 of "whatever is brain dead enough to thing it is actual unquestionable fact, and most of them don't even do "of all time" because its easier to just do "modern remake/of the decade/films with X actor/fire based sfx etc"

This show will be forever known as just another barely decent HBO show people watched because the good shows weren't currently airing. Jeff Daniel's emmy win will be the sole high point of this entire mess, and the next closest "high" point is probably Olivia Munn's acting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Thwomp posted:

It's not spoilers if its all setup, even still setting up from the Season 1 finale. In fact, it doesn't even reveal the biggest thing that happened you got shot.

Anyway, I'd skip season 1 but I've watched the series before. The stuff with Mandy is tedious if you know her character gets dropped by Season 2.

Reasons to skip season 1

-Mandy

Alternatively, just watch it and FF any scene she's in, literally nothing she does matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

Newsroom and WW have the same problem - the characters are loathsome pseudo-humans who are only really happy when they're mocking epsilon semi-morons at 5x speed. Even sex pales in comparison to clowning on the inferior shitpeople and jerking each other off about it. These characters hate almost everyone who really exists in America - it's depressing to watch.

Real exception in Newsroom was Leona, as she appeared to have motivations beyond "feeling smarter than other people". And I have to give credit to the writing that she's the one to actually pull off something clever in the last episode.

It's pretty telling that within the first episode the direction and cast radically changed because of the immediate criticism. Martin Sheen was brought in as major cast rather then the original plan to keep the President as a minor character and a few episodes later Charlie was hired because someone pointed out how hosed up it was to run a show focusing on the white house and not have a single person of color in the cast.

Sorkin obviously bowed to pressure back then, but 15 years later he's so full of spite and hatred for the modern internet that it just seeps out of every pore and infects everything he touches.

• Locked thread