Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite dark and brooding mythical creature?
Depressed Vampire
Self-hating Werewolf
Ghost with an Eating Disorder
Creature from the Black Lagoon with a Killer Heroin Habit
View Results

• Locked thread
babyturnsblue
Jun 14, 2007

i used to dance before the discos came

Omi-Polari posted:

I dunno. Maybe some self-identified goth types don't like it because it's more popular. I've heard the derisive term "hipster goth," like oh please! Did they think this stuff was obscure in the 1980s in Britain? It wasn't incredibly popular, but goth bands were charting at the time, on pop TV shows, etc.

I tend to write-off a lot of the "newer" goth bands because they're way too campy for me (though that's kind of hilarious of me to think since goth is campy as hell) and lack that post-punk/deathrock sound. Though at the same time there are people that prefer the more poppy side of goth, so I guess it just depends on your preference. Usually I'll try to listen to a newer band that's described to have a goth sound and it just doesn't interest me, which is a bummer because I could sure use some new bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyturnsblue
Jun 14, 2007

i used to dance before the discos came

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Listening to them now. It's like the unholy child of post-punk and doom metal. Not bad.

On the topic of goth-ish post-punk, the Chameleons ("Vox") are about to tour North America, playing their Script of the Bridge album. I'm seeing them in two weeks. Should be fun.

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2014/12/29/chameleons-script-of-the-bridge-us-tour-dates/

I'm seeing them in Chicago and it's a dream come true. :)

• Locked thread