Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Space Hamlet posted:

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure Carrie is sleeping with the kid to secure him as an asset, not because she's into him. Don't get me wrong, it's silly, but let's at least be clear on why it's silly

Subterfuge.

This is all an incredibly elaborate Rube Goldberg machine-esque plot on Carrie's part to steal Saul away from his wife. Because PLOT TWISTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure Carrie is sleeping with the kid to secure him as an asset, not because she's into him. Don't get me wrong, it's silly, but let's at least be clear on why it's silly

There is no wart anyone RV DDR thought the latter. God, I hope someone isn't that dense.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Carrie's just following the old adage, "loving for peace is like fighting for Virginia. I'm pretty sure that's it."

lightishred
Aug 11, 2010
"I have a baby"
"I know, I saw the scar"

:vince:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Everybody thought Quinn would be super jealous but it seemed more like he was shocked at her lack of professionalism, mostly because she was busy wooing the kid while they desperately needed her authority as section chief.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

It's moving pretty slowly but it looks like next week things will pick up.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
wait, why was duck phillips in carrie's apartment?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Geno posted:

wait, why was duck phillips in carrie's apartment?

Presumably ISI lady sent him in to get some dirt on her (in this case, the fact that she is taking bipolar medication).

I'm not sure what the main station underling guy's deal is. He didn't tell the ambassador about ISI lady recognizing her husband, which may or may not be significant.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I don't think it's unreasonable for members of the (huge) local intelligence apparatus to recognize the husband of the American ambassador. Especially an English-speaking operative. Triply so if he teaches international relations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ShakeZula posted:

I'm not sure what the main station underling guy's deal is. He didn't tell the ambassador about ISI lady recognizing her husband, which may or may not be significant.

Probably not a bad idea to add him to a list of potential suspects who blew Sandy's cover, although that might be too obvious to end up being the case.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

EricBauman posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable for members of the (huge) local intelligence apparatus to recognize the husband of the American ambassador. Especially an English-speaking operative. Triply so if he teaches international relations.

No, I mean that the ambassador specifically asked if anyone had recognized him, and he said only the hotel manager. Like I said though, hard to tell if it means he's a mole or if he just didn't want to worry her unnecessarily.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Homeland Season 4: Mom/cunnilingus terrorist chat

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

ShakeZula posted:

No, I mean that the ambassador specifically asked if anyone had recognized him, and he said only the hotel manager. Like I said though, hard to tell if it means he's a mole or if he just didn't want to worry her unnecessarily.

I thought that was more meant as a 'who recognized you as the sloppy drunk you are?', which ISI chick didn't seem to do. And even if she did, it would hardly be relevant.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Carrie's kind of crazy.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

Hard to tell if he's the mole since if he and ISI chick were working together why would she even have to show up to intimidate Duck if he was just gonna spill the beans to someone who already knew about it. Also, I was pretty sure something bad was gonna happen to Saul the minute he spotted airport guy and started fumbling with his bags and running around like an amateur.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hahha man they should've had pi patel as the big spoon during that opening shot for this episode

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
God drat it, Saul.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Homeland Season 4: Pakistani Intelligence is the terrorists!

If I wasn't laughing so hard at the slapstick of Kidnapped Saul narrowly avoiding taking a load of hot Drone Strike in the face only because of Carrie's AWOL "shag-the-asset-again-why-not" shenanigans, I'd feel sorry for the audience having to sit through such dreck.

I think the Sesame Street parody of Homeland was less contrived than this season so far.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hand of the King posted:

God drat it, Saul.

How does the former Director of the CIA just sit around by himself tailing somebody in an airport in Karachi? Nobody was going to take notice of that? Was his cover that Karachi was a stop on the way to his stay at an all-inclusive in Cancun?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Has anyone GIFed them pushing Saul in the wheelchair through the airport? I don't know why but I was howling in that scene. There's basically no way to not make that kind of thing look like Weekend At Bernie's.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Oh good, that awkward thing that started last week carried (haha, pun!) over to the new episode. Thank god, I was afraid they'd drop this cringe inducing statutory rape stuff in favor of plot development or interesting events.

Well, Saul is going to a farm upstate, so there's that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

How old is Pi supposed to be again? He's in university but Quinn refers to him as a child. I'm assuming no older than 19-20, but certainly over 18 right? I guess Quinn could and probably is referring to him as a child relative to Carrie though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Med school would imply at least 18 I would imagine. If it's like the US where you have to do undergrad first then probably more like 21+.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

How many seasons can showtime realistically squeeze out of Carrie loving the asset? Maybe we'll go full Dexter and Carrie will retire as a lumberjack.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Decided to catch up on this thread to see whether the show had gotten good, and I'm glad I bailed on it. I was an apologist for so long as well.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

pentyne posted:

Everybody thought Quinn would be super jealous but it seemed more like he was shocked at her lack of professionalism, mostly because she was busy wooing the kid while they desperately needed her authority as section chief.

In the mind of the writers, he looked super jealous and we should accept that because... just because we should.

nomapple posted:

Decided to catch up on this thread to see whether the show had gotten good, and I'm glad I bailed on it. I was an apologist for so long as well.

It started off well and then the writers decided to turn Carrie back into someone who is not very competent.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

How many seasons can showtime realistically squeeze out of Carrie loving the asset? Maybe we'll go full Dexter and Carrie will retire as a lumberjack.

Carrie doesn't give a poo poo about this asset past his utility and if the show keeps it that way everything will be fine. It was made pretty clear that she has no intention of helping him past his serving his purpose and that she is loving him as part of her job and is not enjoying it at all.

If she becomes attached to him: gently caress this show.
If they stay the course with this part of the plot: it's interesting, because we see how cold and ruthless Carrie can still be.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I just got caught up on the show and....I'm really quite enjoying it. Now that Brody's gone, it can finally be the standard spy spin-off of the original concept it should have turned into a while ago. Yes, it's still silly in places and it's not exactly Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but it's not the bad-24 it was at it's nazir in the past either.

As for Carrie shagging her assest, I'm not seeing the problem. No one complains about agents using sex in The Americans.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

If they stay the course with this part of the plot: it's interesting, because we see how cold and ruthless Carrie can still be.

I think sleeping with and revealing personal things to an asset is a pretty big step down from nearly drowning your own baby so you can go to a warzone to do spy stuff, though.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Junkenstein posted:

As for Carrie shagging her assest, I'm not seeing the problem. No one complains about agents using sex in The Americans.

A station chief with a top government clearance would never ever be loving an "asset"

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Peven Stan posted:

A station chief with a top government clearance would never ever be loving an "asset"

This is Carrie we are talking about. Its cringe worthy but pretty tame by her past actions.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

EricBauman posted:

I only just noticed that they're filming the Pakistan scenes in South Africa (or at least, I think they do, based on a SA government department logo in the credits), and I must say they're making it look pretty good. I think it looks a lot more real than the Israel-filmed Beirut scenes in season 2.

AFAIK the entire thing is being filmed in Cape Town. I'm from there and a friend of mine is on the crew. Last I heard (like, last week) they hadn't finished filming yet.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm really enjoying this season, loving an asset to get information/get them on your side is very realistic, actually.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm really enjoying this season, loving an asset to get information/get them on your side is very realistic, actually.

Curious to hear what gives you perspective on that. I've always thought it was a silly genre convention

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Space Hamlet posted:

Curious to hear what gives you perspective on that. I've always thought it was a silly genre convention

Getting assets is all about exploiting and manipulating their weakness. Sex is almost everyone's weakness, particularly a young 20ish year old religious Muslim. Not only do you have the advantage of giving them sex, you can also work on making them feel guilty about it as well. If they don't respond to the sex, you can blackmail them for even having it. Blackmail is the name of the game when it comes to asset acquisition.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Peven Stan posted:

Maybe the station chiefs you know just aren't as devoted to the job as Carrie is.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I see how that's dramatically coherent, but it's not really evidence that it resembles reality - a station chief dropping off the face of the Earth for three days so she can gently caress information out of a kid. Do you have some super sexy insider info here or are you just saying that you have no problem suspending your disbelief

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Her dropping out of contact for that long is extremely normal for a high level CIA agent, even one with a well known position to the public. The failing was more on Quinn being so hosed up he didn't cover for her, and was too afraid to make the call in her place, which he has authority to.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Well, technically, he doesn't have the "legal" authority, but he can say he was given the order from Carrie, and she has no way to say that it isn't true. It's all part of the politic game of blackmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
You're speaking as if you have first-hand experience with all this but you haven't confirmed as much even though I've asked. Will someone have to kill you if you say too much? Will they also have to kill me? I will comb tomorrow's newspaper for a signal

• Locked thread