Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/23/police-compensation-payout-woman-undercover-officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's loads of stories if you google spy honey traps.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/03/12/the_history_of_the_honey_trap

Maybe it's unlikely a station chief would be getting up to that kind of shennanigans in real life, but then it's highly unlikely Carrie would still be employed by the CIA in real life anyway.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Episode sucked, seasons sucks

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

There's loads of stories if you google spy honey traps.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/03/12/the_history_of_the_honey_trap

Maybe it's unlikely a station chief would be getting up to that kind of shennanigans in real life, but then it's highly unlikely Carrie would still be employed by the CIA in real life anyway.

It would be impossible. The amount of clearance and information Carrie has access to in the position would preclude her getting personally involved with an asset, but hey, the show needs drama.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
As with most everything, The Wire did it better first. This time with regard to having sex undercover. See: McNulty's undercover hooker three way.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

As with most everything, The Wire did it better first. This time with regard to having sex undercover. See: McNulty's undercover hooker three way.

That was an amazing scene, especially with the British guy playing an American pretending to be a British guy with a terrible accent.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

Her dropping out of contact for that long is extremely normal for a high level CIA agent, even one with a well known position to the public. The failing was more on Quinn being so hosed up he didn't cover for her, and was too afraid to make the call in her place, which he has authority to.

High level agent maybe not station chief during active investigations

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CalvinandHobbes posted:

High level agent maybe not station chief during active investigations

The show really isn't selling her role as a station chief. It's like she can just wander about and do whatever when in reality she'd be in the office/meetings constantly and would never be allowed to just wander out into Pakistan to chat up an asset.

The silence in the room after Carrie/Asset's talk over the phone where he outed their having hosed was hilarious, plus that other CIA guy's look was perfect; a blend of awkward "uh, do I say anything" and "holy poo poo we all know she hosed this dude"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 3, 2014

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
drat that was good, best eps this season?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
This episode owned.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It only took 5 episodes on pants on head idiotic plot to deliver one fantastic episode.

...Anyone else here watched the show when it first started? Season 1 was train ride of awesomeness that didn't stop and just kept getting better up until that moment when Brody was in the bunker wearing the vest. Now I feel like I'm watching the limp corpse of that show twitch on the operating table and someone jammed an adrenaline needle into its heart for a brief moment before the spasms wear off and its back to "prelude to the lumberjack ending"

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

pentyne posted:

...Anyone else here watched the show when it first started? Season 1 was train ride of awesomeness that didn't stop and just kept getting better up until that moment when Brody was in the bunker wearing the vest. Now I feel like I'm watching the limp corpse of that show twitch on the operating table and someone jammed an adrenaline needle into its heart for a brief moment before the spasms wear off and its back to "prelude to the lumberjack ending"

S1 of Homeland was easily its best and don't think it'll ever come close to that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Geno posted:

S1 of Homeland was easily its best and don't think it'll ever come close to that.

Writers: "We have a mind blowing story and we know how it will end creating one of the best seasons of television ever"

Showtime: "Wait up, Damian Lewis is crazy popular, keep him alive."

Writers: "But that ruins the entire show and-"

*cut to Showtime producers tapping a wad of cash on the table.

Writers: "Fine, whatever you say."

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

pentyne posted:

It only took 5 episodes on pants on head idiotic plot to deliver one fantastic episode.

I am calling this now, Damian Lewis is the mastermind behind this whole thing :jihad:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Brutal.

Hopefully we get more episodes like that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hell of an episode.

But you'd think that someone like Saul, Spymaster Supreme, ex head of the CIA, would've been a tad bit more careful at the airport a week ago. That was dumb, Saul. Real dumb. You don't see Leon Panetta or David Petraeus getting kidnapped by Pakistani terrorist warlords, do you? No Saul, you don't.

Please don't die, Saul. :ohdear:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
So Saul saw the guy he was tailing go into an airport bathroom quickly followed by some other guys. What was the plan when Saul went in after them? What was the best case scenario? Was he planning to recreate the bathroom fight from True Lies?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Senjuro posted:

So Saul saw the guy he was tailing go into an airport bathroom quickly followed by some other guys. What was the plan when Saul went in after them? What was the best case scenario? Was he planning to recreate the bathroom fight from True Lies?

Saul has seen too many spy movies.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Geno posted:

General rule of thumb:

S1 of (SHOWTIME SERIES) was easily its best and don't think it'll ever come close to that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Like Saul isn't a dead man anyway. Then again, movie style extraction probably.

Also, they were fooled by a simple shell game?

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
Season 2 and 3 took a while to get cooking as well. I don't know why people gave up on S4 so fast.

Last night's episode was great, I shouted "NO" out loud at my TV when Aayan was killed.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I'm still wondering what Duck Phillips wrote on that note to Quinn.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Geno posted:

I'm still wondering what Duck Phillips wrote on that note to Quinn.

I was thinking that Quinn would use the pressure marks to read what he said.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I want Carrie to disappear or something, with Quinn replacing her as the main character.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

I was thinking that Quinn would use the pressure marks to read what he said.

Jeez, that didn't even occur to me. Good thinking.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HOT SQUATS posted:

Last night's episode was great, I shouted "NO" out loud at my TV when Aayan was killed.

They reinforced over and over how disposable that character was to everybody. If you developed anything more than a Game of Thrones level of attachment to him, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut

InfiniteZero posted:

They reinforced over and over how disposable that character was to everybody. If you developed anything more than a Game of Thrones level of attachment to him, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

I knew he was going to die, but I wasn't ready for it right then. He got such a raw deal too. His uncle was like "your gf is a CIA slut, thanks for the medicine, tho" and that was the last thing the kid ever heard.

Also, I had just watched Life of Pi.

HOT SQUATS fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 4, 2014

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Whatever happened to that guy Brody died to put in power in the last season? He seemed so important, but they haven't mentioned him at all.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Geno posted:

Everyone should definitely check out Hatufim (Prisoners of War) the Israeli show homeland is very loosely based on. Although Hatufim is less 24esque need to save the country (well the first season anyway) and more aftermath and reintegration after being abducted.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
That last episode was so good. It won me back :swoon:

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

So many people here have no appreciation of the slow burn. Does no one remember The Wire? Like oh my god there's only one harrowing scene every episode. This poo poo is building to something.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, given the US' stand on negotiations with terrorists, I wonder if this means curtains for Saul.

Maybe he will come back in season 5 ("4 years later") and - drumroll - has been turned into a mole and plans to blow up the president in a suicide bombing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

HOT SQUATS posted:

Season 2 and 3 took a while to get cooking as well. I don't know why people gave up on S4 so fast.

Actually the first half of season 2 was good and the show collapsed in the second half. Then the third stayed mostly lovely but it was the end of the Brody plot so if you went this far you might as well see it through. Then season 4 starts and the show goes in a new direction so you're sitting there thinking, alright let's give this a chance, but then it turns out it's still bad.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Saul would agree with Carrie's decision to call for a strike.

Agree it was a great episode.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Like Saul isn't a dead man anyway. Then again, movie style extraction probably.

Also, they were fooled by a simple shell game?

All these cars are like, red. How am I supposed to know what order they drive in? What am I, a CIA agent?

Also, no way in hell would saul not want the drone to drop a hellfire on the entire party.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 4, 2014

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
I dunno bout y'all but I'm enjoying the Pakistani Carrie and Duck Phillips storyline (at least until they start sleeping together).

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Leviathan posted:

I dunno bout y'all but I'm enjoying the Pakistani Carrie and Duck Phillips storyline (at least until they start sleeping together).

Won't be anywhere as gross as Duck Phillips and Peggy sleeping together. :barf:

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Homeland Season 4: The Death of Pi

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Senjuro posted:

Saul thought the two guys that went in after killed the ISI dude. When he saw only those two leave, he thought, "well, wtf happened. ISI dude dead?" Then, Saul went into investigate only to find out he got played.

Also, True Lies is sooooooo good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

flashy_mcflash posted:

Has anyone GIFed them pushing Saul in the wheelchair through the airport? I don't know why but I was howling in that scene. There's basically no way to not make that kind of thing look like Weekend At Bernie's.
I'm not sure if it was more or less realistic than the corresponding drug-someone-in-the-bathroom-then-wheelchair-them-through-the-airport scene from Dexter.

• Locked thread