Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched that episode and thought to myself "I bet if I stopped watching Homeland forever right now, I wouldn't miss anything interesting."

For contrast, I watched the episode and thought "Homeland is becoming more and more like :twentyfour:".
:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Saul would agree with Carrie's decision to call for a strike.

Agree it was a great episode.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

It's weird if you think about it, that Carrie was totally disregarded while being the station chief/whatever, and that quinn overrode her at the end.

Sort of a Caine Mutiny situation.
Expect there should be some fallout once this reaches her bosses. Maybe Quinn and Redmond will argue she's unfit to remain in charge...OTOH Lockhart (the new CIA director) might agree with her that they should have fired even if meant blowing up Saul.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Okay, first let me say I really liked this episode, everyone is basically mind-loving everyone else in some way. And Saul's got balls for speaking to Haqqani the way he did at the dinner table.
BUT...
that was some very high level 4th dimensional chess going on.
1. Get the ambassador's husband to switch Mathison's meds with some type of psychotic so that
2. She will become unstable and start tripping and then instead of seeking medical help or just sleeping it off she will
3.leave the embassy compound, trying to find Aayan's girlfriend and
4. eventually the 'bad' Pakistan intelligence agents will spot her on the street and they can grab her and
5. take her to Aasar Khan's home.

Maybe they do this all the time and know how to make the old Rx drug switcheroo achieve this result but it seemed to me that a lot had to go their way for their plan to work.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 11, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ I'm on board too.

HOT SQUATS posted:

I think they only planned for 1 and 2, everything else was just a happy accident. I'm also not 100% certain Khan is working with the rogue elements of ISI and the Taliban.

What would be their endgame - to get rid of Mathison? Is Redmond their mole who they want to become station chief? He (the actor) is fantastic casting and script, so good at not letting anyone know what he's really thinking or feeling.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Noirex posted:

Good episode, I honestly thought Saul was really going to blow his brains out there for a sec.

What a roller coaster ride. I was sure he'd escape, then certain he was going to kill himself, then definite that Carrie would somehow direct him through a maze of Talibanians to meet up with the SpecOps rescue team.
Then I was thinking "what a downer of an episode" until the very last scene when Mathison finally caught a break.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ShortThug posted:

It was hilarious that they could mark like 50 Taliban members with the drone but couldn't figure out which car Saul had been taken in two episodes ago.
I'm sure they noted that the drone could not follow ground activity at night.

I thought Lockhart was modeled on Dick Cheney not Hilary!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Quinn will kill Haqqani with a humongous broadsword.

In slow motion.

I don't have a problem with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq14Aw4q6Fk

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Lockhart is easier to watch if you think of him as a teenage girl.

Seriously, rewatch the "negotiation" scene in the board room. He's on his phone not giving a gently caress about what Mom says.

The writers made very obvious that he has never seen combat and while he can talk tough, has no stomach for real in-your-face violence.

Fragmented posted:

There's no way Saul doesn't bounce back and go Jihad with Carrie. I swear this show is going to end in nuclear war.

Carrie: We've located Haqqani send in the drone!
Saul: gently caress that. Hello, US Missile Command? It's time for the nuclear option.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

HOT SQUATS posted:

I'm going to defend the finale. It wasn't meant to be the climax of the season like I'm sure a lot of viewers were expecting, it was an epilogue. The climax happened a few episodes ago and this episode was all about the aftermath.

I think the writers did a good job closing a bunch of character arcs in this episode and generally wrapping things up. I especially liked Lockhart's send-off. It was perfect. I'm also glad the show finally acknowledge Rebhorn's death.

I thought the last ep was good. Every man in Carrie's life is gone. Father, Quinn, and even Saul who's with Dar Adal who's with Haqqani.
And even in her personal life she's still The Drone Queen. Going after her mother was like a track-and-kill mission that she had to complete.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Arzakon posted:

Don't ignore the possibility of Pakistan and Haqqani never being mentioned again like their long con in Iran.

They might be mentioned but I expect next season to take place in the USA, not overseas. That storyline's wrapped up. It was a downer of a conclusion but sometimes the bad guys win and it was gutsy for a tv series to show that there isn't always a :twentyfour: Jack Bauer grabbing a katana off the wall to deliver harsh and bloodlust satisfying justice.

Given Obama's recent policy change on Cuba it would be nice to have some episodes on that sunny little isle as the CIA has to veer into a completely new direction there.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

That Homeland has reached the point where "scrap it and start over" each season from the previous meta-plot is a testament to how bad the writing is. No one cares if there are 3 brilliant episodes of TV surrounded by 7 complete poo poo ones and the only consistent thing is Carrie's spastic behavior.

The CIA was unceremoniously chased out of Islamabad after 40 of their agents + assorted military were slaughtered. Haqqani is off in remote mountains, protected by the government.
This story is over for Carrie, no one is going to let her return the Pak as if nothing bad happened under her watch! She had at least 3 opportunities to take out Haqqani, and failed.
She is DONE there. It isn't "scrap it and start over", it's the end of a season and storyline.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 29, 2014

• Locked thread