Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Demetrios

"Delegation of authority to a single leader is not my favored solution, but it would be serviceable enough," replied Demetrios. "Would others find that solution amenable, or would a council of some sort be preferable?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya

Slightly nonplussed at the other magi's apparant willingness to pass governance of the covenant to another, Safniya sits in silence, reconsidering her proposals before speaking.

"Well... There is no reason we could not have both, one member with powers to handle the covenant's business and a simple democratic system, used when needed." Warming to the topic, she leans forward in her chair, folding her legs in front of her. "Yes, there is certainly ample precedent for such systems. If we follow the roman example, but divide the consu..." Safniya trails off momentarily, as the spinning web of potential structures retreat to the silence of her mind.

Stopping and shaking her head, she returns to the conversation at hand. "Suffice it to say, I am certain we can accommodate both desires: Freedom from the tedious elements of managing a covenant and the desire to take part in its affairs. The precise structure of leadership can be discussed later, once we decide on model. I will draw up several drafts to that end. There are several other matters that must be decided here. I believe that we have by now settled rights to the various labs?"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Seasonal Activities:

Demetrios:

Season One: Studying Neptuni Potestam (Summam: Aquam, Quality 12, Level 14)
Season Two: Studying Qualitates Magicis Arborem Europa, Prima (Tractatus: Herbam, Quality 10)
Season Three: Studying Alchemia Mineralibus (Summam: Terram, Quality 13, Level 14)

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Seasonal Activities:

Nicolas

Season One: Creating Wand of Dispel the Phantom Image, level 25, 24 uses/day, 70-year expiration
Season Two: Studying Corpus: Quae Dicitur Minor Mundus (Summa: Corpus, Level 13, Quality 15)
Season Three: Studying Perditio via Magica et de Ratione Annihilationis (Tractatus: Perdo, Quality 10)

Bonus XP: Imaginem, 2xp

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nadya

"A council would be good on the most important decisions. That being said if we are to delegate the decisions for someone, there should also be a way to make sure that he doesn't hold too much power for too long, no? Maybe limited terms or something of the sort."

Seasonal Stuff

Season One: Studying Parma Magica (Summa: Parma Magica, Level 8, Quality 11)
Season Two: Studying Animal Curatias (Tractatus: Creo, Quality 11)
Season Three: Creating Pot of Healing Water, Level 22, 2 Uses/Day, 70-Year expiration.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Seasonal Activities

Season 1 Creating The Cloak of the False Image (Level 14, Continuous Use), Using 2 Im vis
Season 2 Creating The Skin of the Mists (Level 20, once per day), Using 2 Cr vis.
Season 3 Reading -Comprehendens Sensibus Oculus- Tractate Imaginum Quality 11

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 22, 2014

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Demetrios

"A Senate and Consul, then, perhaps, with the Senate selecting the Consul every seven years. The Consul to have authority in all matters touching on day-to-day governance of the Covenant, relations with powers mundane and otherwise, and the admittance of magi to the Covenant. The Senate to have authority in all matters touching on the Covenant Charter, the allocation of communal vis, and the selection of new Senators, where necessary. All founding magi to be members of the Senate. There are numerous precedents to which we can turn for inspiration for the specifics, naturally."

[Was Safniya going to respond to Hafiz?]

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Marduk
"That seems mostly agreeable to me, though it would seem prudent that the admittance of new magi to the covenant should be under the authority of the senators, and not the consul? Furthermore, I would suggest a simpler check on the consul's power - that is, that he simply serves as such until asked to leave that spot by the senate."

Marduk, a few days later
Marduk has summoned and bound Abzhirim with the books at hand in his lab. Asking the spirit for his advice, the spirit identified the first books with an understated arrogance in his voice but vinced away as soon as he opened any of the other books, dropping them where he stood and jumping away. After that strange reaction, Marduk picked up the books, examined them for any damages from the sudden dropping, put them away, and turned to his summoned advizer.
"What was that?" he asked in arabic. "Are those texts harmfull to you in some way?"
The jinn sneered at his master, "You fail to recognize your own history, yet call yourself a magus and a wise man," the spirit muttered, recovering from his shock. With spite shining in his eyes, he continued, more loudly, "Or a Moslem?"
For a second, Marduk's eyes flashed with terrible pride and anger, but he composed himself. Looking directly at the Djinn, he spoke, his voice hard and commanding, but without outwards signs of fury.
"Watch your words, O jinn. I try to maintain peacefull and friendly relations with you and your kind, but I will *not* tolerate Insolence from my servants for long. Control yourself and answer my questions. What are these texts, and how do they harm you?"
Abzhirim mouth curved into an unfriendly smile as fell to a knee in an exaggerated gesture. "I beg your forgiveness, o master! I merely was taken by surprise to discover than one as learned as yourself did not recognize the words of the lesser Prophets."
For a moment, Marduk raised his right hand and prepared the incantation to bring about the whip of solomon, the power momentarily surging in preperation, but with a snarl, he stopped himself in his tracks.
"You test my patience still. Be careful, or maybe next time i shall not stop myself from punishing an insolent servant. What language are these books written in, and what of the nature of the words of the prophets is it that repells you?"
"The older is the words of the first prophets, in the eldest tongue of Persia. It is understandable that a brief human may not remember those words," the infuriating smirk returned to the jinn's face as he prepared another barb, "But the latter is the tongue of Isa, from his own time. Surely such a holy language is remembered?"
Marduk sighed at the return of the smirk and the insult. Nevertheless, it was minorer than before and less obnoxius, and the spirit was finaly forthcomming with his knowledge, so he let it pass, for now.
"That is interesting. We shall have them translated shortly. What about them is it that repells you so? Are you merely impius, or is there some other thing about the books or the words they contain?"
It was the jinn's turn to look annoyed, "The people of Fire do not bend their knee to the God of Clay, and for this, He chooses to punish us." Spite re-entered the jinn's voice, "And I doubt there are any alive who would be willing to translate the tongue of old Persia for the Jihadi."
For a moment, Marduk concidered making an example of the Djinn's spite, but he prided himself on his fairness towards his servants, and he had not insulted God Almighty or Marduk personaly.
"Be careful still, spirit. Though you may not be a Moslem, i expect that you speak respectfully of God Almighty. And there may yet be mortals who know of the ancient tongue - or right-believing djinn that may be of help - or many other sources of translation. Of the hindustani books, would you be able to translate those?"
"You can't?"
"No,"
said Marduk, shaking his head and prepared to attemt an explanation, as he had done so many times before. "We mortals do not see language and meaning in the way of the people of fire. You know the meaning of all you see or hear, and transform that into sounds and words. We mortals see first the words and hear first the sounds, and by knowledge, not by instinct, do we transform this into meaning. For us to understand a word, a language, we must first be taught this knowledge."
"What a pity," the jinn says with a mocking smile.
"Very well then, " Marduk said with a sigh. "do you know, then, where i might most easily find mortals, spirits, or other sources, that might be able to help me in these tranlations?"
The jinn's eyes sparkled with mischief, "Why, Syria, Persia, and Hindustan, of course," he said slowly, as if to a child.
For a moment, Marduk's eyes flared, and he conjured the Red-hot grip of Trismagus, Claimed to have originated with that ancient prophet and mage. The red, claw-like bands passed through the skin of the Djinn to grab at its heart as a burning hot gauntlet of fire.
"I have been patient with you insolence, spirit," he said as the pain subsided. "Do not confuse that patience for weakness. I try to respect your kind at every turn, but i will not tolerate such insolence again. You will treat me with respect, and you will answer my questions as would a vizier; with respect and with any and all knowledge or wisdom you can share."
The jinn gasped and shook as the painful magic tore through him. Breathing hard, the jinn's face fell, sullen resentment in his eyes, "The Nasrani of Syria may still speak the language of their Prophet, and perhaps some caravaneers may speak the language of Hindustan, but those who speak the old tongue of Persia have hidden themselves away, and will not speak to you even if you could find them."
Marduk nodded. "Very well. I shall attemt to confeer with those people, then. If you continue to behave respectfullly and with manners, i may yet reward you in the end. Is there any other usefull knowledge or wisdom regarding these books that you can tell me?"
"Nothing, o master," the jinn said flatly.
"Very well. You are dismissed," said Marduk, releasing his hold on the djinn.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Seasonal activities

First season: Creating binding jar
Second season: Reading Servi Mortuis (c 780), by Tremere the Founder (Tractatus: Mentem, Quality 13)
Third season: Creating Amulet of hidden might ((Hides the gift))

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Demetrios

Demetrios shook his head, taking another sip of the wine. "Without additional restrictions, such a mechanism risks a situation like the Year of Five Emperors; should there be political division, the Senate's support could sway dangerously. Your suggestion is not without merit, however, so I suggest this. A sitting Consul may be deposed by a vote of two-thirds-- or three-fifths? The calculation is easier-- of the Senate. That way it requires a serious commitment to remove a Consul, while retaining the possibility against the eventuality of abuse."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victorion

While this may change in the future, at this point, there are only seven of us, and we generally get along, so it's probably not an issue now. But if the Consul has sole say over who's to be added to the covenant, what's to stop him or her from simply inviting in supporters to swamp the covenant with those loyal to him? And how are others to be added to the Senate? Do you have any ideas as to that membership? Victorion sips his wine. Is it just his palate, or has the wine gone slightly off?

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya

First season: Quaesitorial work with Almudena
Second season: Studying Hebrew with Zephaniah (Teaching Total: 21)
Third season: Creating Drums of the Infidel's Downfall, using 5 pawns of Rego vis

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
--Marduk's Experimentation: 0 (no botch), No Extraordinary Effects
--Safniya's Experimentation: 4, No Extraordinary Effects
--Safniya's Lab Warping: 7, no effect

5 pawns Creo, 5 pawns Imaginem, 5 pawns Mentem 3 pawns Rego, and 3 pawns Vim vis expended.

Silver income 100 pounds, costs 142 pounds.

Governance Events:
---The magi must ratify their charter by unanimous vote, and should they do so, must elect a consul by supermajority. If a consul is elected, (s)he has final say on each of these matters. [CaPensiPRaxis should post this as soon as possible]

---A number of prominent covenfolk request the right to elect a magistrate from their own numbers to deal with disputes and legal issues. The magistrate would not be directly answerable to the rulers of the covenant, though they may advise his decisions. In addition, the magi would be forbidden from interfering with or retaliating against the magistrate for his judgements, and would be further forbidden from interfering with the election of the magistrate. The degree of separation such an office would cause has both positives and negatives.

---An elderly Saracen man arrived at the gates of Preseden, and asked to speak to the magi about employment. When humored, he seemed surprised that the magi now inhabiting the covenant where different from those who had fled yea before. He claimed to be the inkmaker for the previous covenant, who used the oak and acacia trees planted along the covenant walls to make high-quality arabic ink. He offers to train his son in the craft, if the magi are willing to take the son and his large family in, and pay the old man a pension for the rest of his life. While locally produced ink could significantly reduce the cost of bookkeeping and lab work, agreeing would also allow more than a dozen people who you have next to no knowledge of into the covenant.

---The tradesmen of the freehold request a mutual guarantee that trade between the freehold of Faddey and the covenant will not be subject to tolls, taxes, or limits. While open trade with the freehold could allow for cheaper goods than purchasing from Acre, it could also mean the covenants own good may be sold at lower prices, and further it may cause local inflation.

Safniya's Legal Adventure:
Nuria de Bonisagus y Ignasi, of Prima Fabula, has accused Constantine de Tytalus, of Arx Terminus, of using an ensorcelled vulture to spy on her dig site just outside of Jerusalem, and has thus violated the prohibition against scrying on magi. Constantine argues that he was simply using the vulture to perform routine surveillance of the ruins, as a coven of Endorian witches has been active in the area, and the magi of Arx Teminus wish to ensure that they do not defile the holy sites there. He says that he called the vulture off once he had confirmed Nuria's identity, and peered no further into her business. Further, he claims that Nuria's use of magic to determine that he was controlling the bird constitutes scrying as well, and that as such, she is equally if not more guilty of any crimes committed.

Constantine was cooperative with the investigation, and allowed Safniya to observe the controlling and scrying spells used, as well as the route by which the routine patrol is made. While the dig site could be observed from the route, much of it was covered over with light roofing, and it seems unlikely that anything could be discovered other than the location and identity of the dig workers and the maga herself. Nuria demonstrated that she discerned Constantine's identity by capturing the patrolling vulture, then using a lesser Intangible Tunnel spell to open a link to the controlling magus. She refused to allow Safniya to observe the dig site on foot, however, and refused to elaborate on what specific business may have been discovered, claiming that merely discovering her dig site with magical methods constitutes a violation of privacy.

Almudena recused herself at the request of the senior magi of Arx Teminus, as did Saturnina, the resident quaesitor of Arx Terminus. Judgement in this issue therefore fell to Safniya.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 26, 2014

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya

Safniya whispers over her shoulder to the empty air, then wets her throat to speak again. Demetrios has the right of it, though we are now few, it is in our interest to create a system which will survive our council. Stability and adaptability both are key. For now, a single executor of the covenant's will, a steward of our collective business is the best course, but that may not always be the case, and we should prepare for that eventuality.

A young girl plods in, bearing a stack of variegated schedulae and a wooden writing case containing several shorn quill pens and inkpots. Safniya dismisses the servant, selecting a long, thin schedula to begin sketching the outlines of a charter. "I will describe the features suggested thus far: We will have one leader, elected by some majority of voters, those being us seven member magi of the council. This leader will serve until another is chosen by similar consensus, in a vote that should take place no more than once per some interval with ample notice. Seven years was suggested, this seems extreme. The leader will have large powers to control the business of the covenant, within the bounds of the Code and any other restrictions placed out in the Charter. Council voting for this, and other possible matters, should have at least half of the voting members present... Was there anything else? Ah yes, new membership to the covenant will be subject to council voting."

Pausing to collect her thoughts, Safniya puts down her quill and flexes her fingers. "There are other important matters to include in the charter. However, I suggest that we draft and swear upon a simple agreement for now, but include in our reckoning a method by which we will change our charter and re-swear by it. This way, we need not plan for everything now, and may add any restrictions or powers that are necessary in the future. Unless there are other immediate concerns, I will draft a charter and present it tomorrow for oath taking, at which point we should elect this leader of ours."

She straightens her writing equipment, blotting the wet schedula and folding it into her robes. "To that end, I put forwards my name. I have the greatest understanding of the Code and already have ties in this Tribunal, which will ease our integration."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm dumb. Please post your season companion stuff. Remember: you get two season per year, unless you're wealthy.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Hakim's seasons

All Three Seasons: Studying Latin with Ukko for 30 XP

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Irene's Sessions

1-3: Practicing Latin (30 XP)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Musa's Actions

Season 1. Getting to know the community and the people in it, trying to understand their needs and problems.
Season 2. With the magi's permission, studying and trying to reconstruct the destroyed/damaged Hebrew texts in the covenant's library.
Season 3. Further familiarization with the community.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Seasonal Activities:

Spring: Binding familiar.
Summer: Crafting The Child's Friend and two of The Wizard's Rainband.
Autumn: Crafting the Might of Kings.

COST: 10 Rego vis, 4 Herbam vis, 1 Terram vis.

Eliodorus agrees to Safniya's election to consul and her ideas for the charter, but notes that he expects the consul, whoever is elected, to give all magi a period in which they may choose to offer advice on any situation that does not require immediate attention.

He has no opinion whatsoever on the need for a magistrate, noting only that if this keeps their disputes from needing his input, that's probably good.

As for the Saracen, Eliodorus asks Alexia to take some time to inspect the family and see if she can test their loyalties and beliefs. He is tempted to bring them in, as craftsmen of use, but he fears spying.

As for the tradesmen, Eliodorus likes the idea of cheaper goods, but worries for the covenant's shaky income. He spends some time in a corner, doing math - a task he's quite good at - to try and work out if this will be a major loss. (Int + Artes LiberaleS: 6)

He also, while constructing the Might of Kings, explains its use - it is a tool to defend against sieges. He is intending to sell it to the Queen and her father, and is offering them security - only Lord John will be able to use it. He wants to know if they think he should add the Queen (or any other specific names) to the list.

Morgana
Season 1: Study the Regimen Hominis.
Season 2: Study the Lex Barbarus.
She spends her work season assisting the covenfolk in legal and academic matters.

Morgana also goes out of her way to talk to Safniya about assisting her in Quaesitorial and diplomatic duties. She also plans to run as magistrate among the covenfolk, if the post is allowed. She argues for it to any magus that will listen, saying that it will increase the covenfolk's respect for the magi, and that their respect is vital.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 24, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Demetrios

"Your offer is most appreciated, sodalis Safniya. But you are quaesitor, are you not? By the very nature of your office, you have responsibilities beyond your covenant. It would not be fair to yourself, to the tribunal, or to the covenant to expect you to split your attentions between covenant leadership and your duties as quaesitor. We have so far suggested that the consul's duties will be primarily diplomatic, serving as a voice for the covenant with foreign powers; as this is the case, I would put myself forward for the post. I have the most formal diplomatic training and will, in any event, be focusing my attentions on our diplomatic relations."

"A magistrate for the covenfolk seems like a wise idea. Most of their disputes will not touch on the interests of the magi, in any event, and it has been my experience that a covenant in which the covenfolk are represented tends to be a more stable and productive covenant."

Demetrios passes his empty goblet to Prokopios, who refills and returns it.

"I recommend the integration of this Saracen family into our covenant, but I would also suggest that we place an informant close to the family. I can have Prokopios ask a few key questions, if necessary. Keeping a close eye on them is the best way to ensure that we head off any potential problems."

"Rather than immediately providing total waiver of taxes and tariffs, we might try a period of lowered taxes, to keep an eye on the effects on the local economy. If that proves fruitful, we can investigate a more generous arrangement."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Quorum needs to post al-Hafiz's seasonal activities. I assume that Ukko is still studying Latin for three seasons like I was told over Skype, and that Guy is spending two seasons running his demense, and the third setting off for Constantinople. Please remember to post your plans in the thread as well.

Musa
Faddey's ambiguous legal status has lead several usurers, most of them foreign Jews and Christians, to take up residence in the village, from which they lend to the Knightly Orders and the Latins at substantial interest. While the activity does bring some wealth to the town, the Moslem residents feel very uncomfortable about the blatant violation of their strictures, as do many Jews, and some residents have expressed concern that it may draw negative attention to the freehold. The Jewish lenders argue that the law states that they may lend to non-Hebrews, and all of the moneylenders agree that it is of no business to the town what they choose to do with their money. Musa is among several community leaders who've been asked to come to a solution.

[Gains a total of 20xp in any combination of Faddey & Preseden Lore, social skills, or legal skills plus an additional 10xp in Faddey & Preseden Lore. Gains a reputation of Community Leader (Faddey & Preseden, 2)]

Two of the Hebrew books were quickly recognizable as Sefer Yetzirah and Sefer Ha-Bahir, common instructional books on Kabbalah. They are fairly common, and Musa is both intimately familiar with them, and owns copies of his own. The third is an unfamiliar text on the same topic. While it is still legible, it might be dangerous during it's current state. Should God wish it, it should not be difficult to restore, however.

[Sefer Emet; Summa: Kabbalah, Level 7, Quality 4 in its current state. It can be restored with a relatively simple Wonder, however. In either case, Musa may choose to attempt to study from it, or spend the season seeking out a partner with whom to study.]

Guy
Shortly before embarking on his ship to Constantinople, Guy was approached by a well-off looking Saracen man. The man claimed that he had seen Guy's future, and that Guy would never return from his journey unless he purchased a talisman to ward off evil from the man. The charm isn't terribly expensive, but the man says that it must be worn openly in order to be effective, and it is covered in Arabic script and designs.

[Gain 10 xp in something Guy could potentially do on a ship for some time]

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victorion

Victorion's votes on seasonal matters:

1. Abstains on the charter until a final one is written.
2. No on an independent magistrate not under our control
3. Yes on letting the old man and his family in to produce ink, with the provision that we do some sort of intelligo mentem spell to make sure they're not spies or something
4. Abstain on the free trade with Faddey. I don't know enough as to whether that's a good idea or not.

Musa

First, Musa rules on the moneylenders.

1. It is permissible for the Jews of Faddey to lend money without interest
2. It is permissible for the Jews of Faddey to lend money with interest to Christians, but not to Jews or Muslims.
3. Those who lend money must be careful not to bring scandal to the community.
4. Those who lend money may not lend money to those who will not be capable of paying the money back.
5. Those who lend money may not take a man's livelihood as collateral or in forfeiture for the money lent.

Musa will attempt to restore the Sefer Emet. (Kabbalah 4 + 1 (specialty Wonders) + Wonders 3 + 1 (Natural substances) + Communication 2= 11) Then he'll seek out a partner to study with.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 2, 2014

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Marduk

"These terms seem perfectly acceptable to me, at least, though I would second Soldalis Demitrios' question regarding the wisdom of having a quaesitor as our Consul. Allowing the trained diplomat to be our diplomat and administrator seems to be a prudent course of action.
As for the matter of a magistrate for our covenfolk, i see no problems in that regard. In fact, I would regard it as essential for the easy managing of the covenant's grogs.

As for the matter of the Saracen family, I fail to see why we could not simply determine their motives discreetly, by use of Intellego magic? would that not be the simplest way to make sure that they have no ill intent? If so, i see nothing to argue against their inclusion.

Lastly, the matter of trade and taxation is entirely outside of my forté. Soldalis Demitrios' suggestion seems prudent, but again, i have no real insight into this matter. Whatever my Sodalis choose, i shall happily support. "

Guy

Guy looked at the Saracen man with some distrust. Weary of heathen magic and suspecting a trick, he replies.
"Why did you spy upon my future? And how have you come by this magical talisman? he asks of the man.

((ten xp for carouse))

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nadya

"Well, those are reasonable terms on the charter, although the matter of the Magistrate... I think we should look over it more carefully. While keeping the covenfolk happy is a good idea, there is the possibility, as unlikely as it be, that they might make decisions that could affect our work here.

Also regarding the Saracen inkmaker... There are far too many people to take in, and the possibility that one of them is a spy is obviously non-zero... Although the chances are that we have been compromised already. It wouldn't hurt to try what Marduk suggested though.

I would like to see how our trade would fare with Faddey before doing any measures such as cutting taxes, though. If the situation requires it, then we could do as they ask."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Magnusth posted:

Guy

Guy looked at the Saracen man with some distrust. Weary of heathen magic and suspecting a trick, he replies.
"Why did you spy upon my future? And how have you come by this magical talisman? he asks of the man.

((ten xp for carouse))

The man explained that he a Talisami, a scholar taught as madrassa to create holy amulets that coerce the spirits of the world to protect the bearer. He further explained that he was reading the stars the previous night, as he does every night, and determined that a knight setting sail for Constantinople was in grave moral danger, and that is was his duty as a good man to attempt to help him. He claimed that he only asks for enough money to cover the price of creating this amulet for him, as materials are quiet expensive as of late.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Guy
Relaxing his suspicions slightly, Guy gives a short, apologetic nod to the stranger.
"I apologize for my rudeness. I am not used to dealing with those who work... magic. I shall be happy to buy this amulet from yours, and I thank you for your efforts." He said. He did not truely believe that he was in danger, but there would be little harm in buying an amulet. If nothing else, he could always show it to the mages once he got back, see if they might buy it from him or make use of it somehow.

((Guy will wear the amulet, but will hide it while in the company of Christians (at least, important christians). ))

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
[This is a miniadventure just to keep us moving until everyones' scheduals quiet down again. Anyone who is around can participate as they wish, and will receive non-seasonal XP based on how involved they are. All magi may be present, except Safniya, who is away on Quaesitor duties. All companions may be present except Guy, who is on a ship to Constantinople.]

It was the devil's luck that Safniya was away for the next several months. The new Preseden was coming along smoothly, and the efforts of the settlers were already bearing fruit, as was the vineyard, much to the delight of the covenfolk. The manor had already begun to attract some attention of the local powers, which would need to be dealt with in time. It had also attracted some more worrisome attention, however. Safniya had told the other magi that the caverns beneath the covenant hid a magic pool in their depths, from which the spirits of the dead arose. Perhaps sensing the living above, ghosts had begun arising from the caverns at night, slipping under the Aegis, wailing their woes and pleas at the perplexed and frightened coverfolk. The covenfolk begged the magi to silence the menace.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nadya

Nadya awaits alongside the others on the cavern's entrance, watching the inky blackness inside worriedly. "Spirits... Without the Sodalis Safniya this is to be quite a difficult task indeed." Nadya says while letting out a long sigh. "Perhaps sealing the pool could end our necromantic problem?" She stares at the inside, somewhat distressed. While as a Magi she is not afraid of the dead like the superstitious covenfolk, the idea of going inside that place is still quite unnerving.

Irene

Of course, the dynatoi is there as well, although she questions the need of her expertise against spirits. Alas, perhaps it could still be a good chance for her to practice the spathion, no?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victorion

"Sealing the pool might also mean losing access to the vis contained therein, and the pool contains substantial vis. I say instead we find out why these ghosts are appearing to bother the living now; if something has them abnormally excited, and, put a stop to it if we can. Also, how these ghosts have managed to pass the Aegis. I don't really know how to do that, though, other than ask them."

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 15, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nadya

"...And do you have any idea on how to do so, Master Victorion? Because honestly unless the spirits below can understand our language, which might not be the case, we may be facing quite a difficult problem."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victorion

"No idea, but most people around here speak either Latin, French, or Arabic, don't they? Stands to reason their spirits would too."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Demetrios

"There are in my homeland a great many stories about the shades of the dead and their appeasement. Their needs are not complex; often what they long for is as simple as a kind word or a perfectly-played melody. In any case, speaking to them seems wise. I have quite had it with nearly bumping into unquiet shades on my way back from passing water in the evening, thank you kindly," supplied the Greek magus, a cheerful flame dancing in his upturned palm.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victorion

Well, I can play the melody. A kind word might be harder. Lets see if we can see what these things want.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Praxis, if you're back I need you to post the charter outline and to make your decision for your adventure segment. Everyone else can keep pursing the ghost mystery.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Nodding decisively, Demetrios tossed his flickering tongue of flame into the air, where it bobbed along merrily, casting a cheerful glow about him. "Well, then, we are likely to be more productive investigating the problem at its source than standing about chatting. Shall we?" With that, he strode into the mouth of the cavern, displaying no apparent trepidation at the darkness that closed in around him swiftly.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nadya

Nadya lets out a long and drawn out sigh as she follows Demetrios inside the dark cave. A haunted cavern, huh? Great way to pass the day. "I still wonder if we should have brought more people with us, though. I know very little about the spirits, and don't know if they are going to be dangerous."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victorion

"Oh, they're probably dangerous. I mean, they're ghosts and all. But we're not without resources, ourselves, are we. Madame...", Victorion says as he gestures to the cavern, inviting her to go ahead of him.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The stairways of the caverns were not shaped by magic. Tiered waterfalls of milky stone cascaded in great frozen spirals down into the depths of the caverns, the magi's light cutting deep black shadows thorough the beautiful ivory formations, making the cavern seem more a woodcut than part of the world. Dark water glistened on the living stone, pure droplets becoming falling gems as they caught the light before falling again into the abyssal pools. Damp wind blew strangely through the twisting depths, distant sounds of wind and water becoming the breath of some slowly dying creature in the magi's ears. The thrum of magic was strong here, pressing and jostling the magi's sense like an procession through a market crowd. There were footprints, sometimes, that were nothing more than shadows upon the uneven cave floor. Hand prints on the walls became discolorations in the stone. The voice of the parent or friend from long ago nothing more than a trick of dripping water and slow, groaning wind. The moist air pressed heavily on the magi, every step an effort, like wading though a shallow swamp, yet the magi found it difficult to complain, or even to speak at all. Memories, bittersweet and sad, rose from the dark waters of the mind, sparkling dimly in the melancholy fugue that hung through the caverns like a funeral shroud. The stairways of the cavern were not shaped by man. Those ivory passages we not for the living, and the living preferred them far from their minds.

A single drop broke the stillness of the black water, tiny ripples spreading rhythmically across the surface, precipitating great waves in the aether, pulsing through the magi like an unsteady heartbeat. Crystals studded the stalactites coating the ceiling, those Lanterns of the Dead casting their pale light across the deepest chamber, turning the ribbed cavern walls into the corpse of some ancient beast. The Stygian waters of the pool seemed to stretch downward forever, and glistened with the faces of the dead that became nothing more that pale reflections of the light from the crystals above. The breath of the cavern was quiet here, and all was silent as the Mirror of Acheron stared at the magi accusingly.

[Notes from the previous magi tell you that ghosts can be called forth from the Mirror with the offering of a denarius to its depths. If you have a particular name or description, you can call a specific ghost, though its not exactly reliable.]

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Demetrios

The Greek magus gestured obscurely, sending his pale flame up to dance above the waters of the Mirror, sending eerie, phantasmal reflections dancing upon the walls. "Well. Here we stand, then." From a pocket of his robes, he produced a single shining denarius, the face of Augustus Caesar staring impassively upon its surface. "To whom do we intend to speak? Have we a name, or shall we try our fortune?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Victorion

I would recommend we not call the prophet Samuel, and Endor is east of here, besides. And while it might be pleasant to try to call Maman, I don't think she's one of the spirits haunting us. Victorion looks pensive. "I've just never had very much truck with the dead. It's hard enough dealing with the living." He falls silent, and the fog from his breath coils out into the cool air.

• Locked thread