Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya

With a yawn and a scowl at the morning sun, Safniya adjusts her veil as she climbs to the deck, roused before her customary waking hours by the commotion. Squinting against the light, she surveys the gathered crowd on the deck with interest, noting the tension in the air, but doing nothing to interfere, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Close to the hatch, Safniya mutters in Arabic to Abd al-Hafix as he passes by her. "((Ar))Take care of the children, Hafi, but keep the deck clean. The less blood we have to scrub, the better. I'm getting Mudi"

Snorting derisively under her breath, Safniya again surveys the scene, the faintest of amused smiles crossing her face as she takes in the gesticulating Jerbiton and fuming Knights.
"Come and wake me when our carts are here, and we are ready to travel on. " she says before turning to leave the deck, presumably to clamber back into her berth on the lower level. Reaching the hatchway, she pauses and looks over her shoulder, the easy tone to her voice belying subtle firmness "Unless I will be needed on deck, of course".

She leaves her words hanging on the air, caught in the murmur between Victorion's outburst and the distrustful rabble of christian thieves, and without waiting for an answer departs the deck.

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 6, 2014

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Without skipping a beat, Safniya moves to take a chair and a goblet of wine. Settling into her seat with a certain relish and sits silently as her sodales busy themselves with questions and wine. "First things first, we must establish our new covenant before we solve the problems of the world. At the least, we should settle our things and our folk before we jump onwards. Alumdena will surely tell us all we need know, if given time. she interjects.

Rubbing her forehead with one hand, she continues "The wars here have continued for a thousand years, they'll still be here in a few hours time, or even a few days."

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya remains settled into her chair, idly studying her wine wishing it was less sour, and accompanied by a wider selection of morning food. For certain, the ship and its limited kitchen stocks will not be missed.

[[I'll post for scene two in a minute]]

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya
Safniya abstains from most of the conversation before the arrival of de Montaigu, responding to the limits of politeness, but otherwise figiting with her unusually brilliant crimson khimar. As he enters the antechamber, she straightens and waits stiffly for others to make her introduction.

Nodding and flashing a curt smile, Safniya finally introduces herself. "And I am Safniya bint Almudena al-talib Guernicah. Shall we move deeper into the estate?

Ukko

Nadya said there would be good food. That I should dress nice. That I should act proper. It's getting hard to do all of that, and there hasn't been any good food. I wish everyone would speak a sensible language, or stop chattering.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya

"Or begin maneuvering around them. I believe Eliodorus and Demetrios are right, Arx Terminalis may prove to be the most problematic. I am also worried that Domum Pacis will resist any plans we make.

-------------------

Yes, it was entirely clear that his cousin is being purposefully rude, and likewise clear that this man is certainly a part of that strategy. Safniya sits in silence, quietly eating some halva as she listens to the other mages interact with the wrong de Montaigu.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
--------------:h: --------------

Walking quickly, Safniya pulls her robes tighter around her in a futile attempt to keep out the chill fall breeze of Magvillus. Making her way across the long yard through the middle ward of the fortress, she arrives at kitchens and common house, looking for al-Hafiz, parcel in hand.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya

Slightly nonplussed at the other magi's apparant willingness to pass governance of the covenant to another, Safniya sits in silence, reconsidering her proposals before speaking.

"Well... There is no reason we could not have both, one member with powers to handle the covenant's business and a simple democratic system, used when needed." Warming to the topic, she leans forward in her chair, folding her legs in front of her. "Yes, there is certainly ample precedent for such systems. If we follow the roman example, but divide the consu..." Safniya trails off momentarily, as the spinning web of potential structures retreat to the silence of her mind.

Stopping and shaking her head, she returns to the conversation at hand. "Suffice it to say, I am certain we can accommodate both desires: Freedom from the tedious elements of managing a covenant and the desire to take part in its affairs. The precise structure of leadership can be discussed later, once we decide on model. I will draw up several drafts to that end. There are several other matters that must be decided here. I believe that we have by now settled rights to the various labs?"

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya

First season: Quaesitorial work with Almudena
Second season: Studying Hebrew with Zephaniah (Teaching Total: 21)
Third season: Creating Drums of the Infidel's Downfall, using 5 pawns of Rego vis

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya

Safniya whispers over her shoulder to the empty air, then wets her throat to speak again. Demetrios has the right of it, though we are now few, it is in our interest to create a system which will survive our council. Stability and adaptability both are key. For now, a single executor of the covenant's will, a steward of our collective business is the best course, but that may not always be the case, and we should prepare for that eventuality.

A young girl plods in, bearing a stack of variegated schedulae and a wooden writing case containing several shorn quill pens and inkpots. Safniya dismisses the servant, selecting a long, thin schedula to begin sketching the outlines of a charter. "I will describe the features suggested thus far: We will have one leader, elected by some majority of voters, those being us seven member magi of the council. This leader will serve until another is chosen by similar consensus, in a vote that should take place no more than once per some interval with ample notice. Seven years was suggested, this seems extreme. The leader will have large powers to control the business of the covenant, within the bounds of the Code and any other restrictions placed out in the Charter. Council voting for this, and other possible matters, should have at least half of the voting members present... Was there anything else? Ah yes, new membership to the covenant will be subject to council voting."

Pausing to collect her thoughts, Safniya puts down her quill and flexes her fingers. "There are other important matters to include in the charter. However, I suggest that we draft and swear upon a simple agreement for now, but include in our reckoning a method by which we will change our charter and re-swear by it. This way, we need not plan for everything now, and may add any restrictions or powers that are necessary in the future. Unless there are other immediate concerns, I will draft a charter and present it tomorrow for oath taking, at which point we should elect this leader of ours."

She straightens her writing equipment, blotting the wet schedula and folding it into her robes. "To that end, I put forwards my name. I have the greatest understanding of the Code and already have ties in this Tribunal, which will ease our integration."

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
:d:Safniya
(Meanwhile, back at the ranch : :d:)

Safniya reviews her scrawled schedula, speaking as she scans her notes. " I am not unduly concerned by the addition of mundanes. Make them swear oath to us and this new covenant, and we will treat them fairly enough. I do not understand the need for a 'diplomatic leader', especially one as constrained as some of you desire. However, I can write a charter to accommodate what has been requested. As mentioned, we are only seven, and our covenant is new: Next year, we can easily amend our charter as needed. A young handmaiden enters the chamber, silently padding over with her head down to receive Safniya's writing materials and carry them out after the maga as she retires to her chambers.

== Time elapses ==

Having just mopped up the last of her dinner with a wedge of hearty pita, Safniya reaches for a leather scroll case while the long table is cleared away. Unrolling a large vellum sheet and laying it out, she displays her handiwork: A well scribed charter , with the beginnings of illumination sketched around the margins. "This will do, for now. There are two elected positions: One of us shall manage our tribunal meetings, and other senate matters. The other shall be the executor outside of meetings. One balances the other, such that neither should have undue power to interfere with any of our lives.

Safniya looks up, surveying the other magi as they pore over the document. Choose who you wish for Pontifex, and select me to be the Princeps Officius. she says, frankly.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
:d: Safniya
"Until a new member of the council is chosen, yes." Mirrored annoyance creeping into her voice, Safniya continues, "And Nova Preseden is a new name, Victorion ibn-Jerbiton , it merely carries the name of its ancestor, as you and I do.

After a short pause to collect herself from her snapped retort, she taps the edge of the charter with one finger. "However, if another name is decided upon, I can prepare a new charter. Now is when we should decide, it is time we swore to this covenant. "

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya
Safniya dismisses the case brought against Constantine de Tytalus, satisfied that he took all reasonable precautions against scrying on affairs of another magus. Short of mental probing, there is nothing to disprove his innocent intent. Ruling against a totally accidental scrying, when even techniques such as forceless casting would not avoid accidental scrying, would introduce too many situations where magi could be persecuted for innocent activities.

Safniya fines Nuria de Bonisagus of Prima Fabula a sum of three pawns vis, for knowingly scrying on another magus, albeit in the course of protecting against spying. However, as Constantine was within the boundaries of the code, in method and act, Nuria's act of scrying is not permissible. It is unclear if any magical secrets were unveiled, or even that a fully mundane scout would be unable to discern the 'secret' of the dig site. As she did not fully cooperate with the investigation, it is unclear how persistent Constantine had to be to discover her identity there. Hesitant to create enemies or step too loudly as a newly stationed quaesitor, Safniya issues the minimum practical fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Safniya

"That is not something I anticipated." Safniya frowns. "Indeed, any source of vis that a magus brings with them to the Covenant upon joining shall remain their own, though any such sources found afterwards must be rendered to our collective use." Muttering an incantation under her breath, she reaches forwards to touch the offending clause, the letters shifting under her touch.

[[Spontaneously casting: Correct the Faulty Scribe ReTe 3 (base 1, +1 range, +1 finesse) Changes touched words made with iron-gall ink to the phrase the caster holds in mind.]]

• Locked thread